[REMOVE ADS]

Getting Unreleased Songs Released - Roulette Records, 1967/1968

I have a friend, her name is Ila Vann [[check out her Facebook page!). She's a soul / R&B singer who recorded for Roulette Records in the 60's. She turns 80 this month.

I've tracked down some session logs, it seems that she recorded two songs for Roulette that were never released: COME AND TAKE ME BY THE HAND [[1967) and CAN'T CHANGE HORSES IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREAM [[1968).

I know this is an extremely long shot - but it would be really great to somehow have her hear them while she's still around. She doesn't remember recording them.

How does one go about getting unreleased songs out of the vault? She has a following in the U.K. on the Northern Soul scene - I've contacted a few companies to see about getting them released on a compilation but there doesn't seem to be much interest.

Does the 50-year unreleased copyright rule come into play here at all? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm assuming that the master tape has never been transferred - who knows if it was even mixed for a release...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It would be nice to see a release for her sake.
    A number of her recordings are on You Tube, including some Roulette sides.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  21.1 KB
    I would guess that whoever owned the rights to Roulette's master tapes, DIDN'T release "COME AND TAKE ME BY THE HAND" before January 1st 2018, and therefore THAT song is now available for anyone to use. However, whoever owns the rights to the 1968 recording, "CAN'T CHANGE HORSES IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREAM", still owns it until the end of 1968, and could retain ownership of it afterward, IF they release it for sale as a digital file, by December 31st, 2018.
    Last edited by robb_k; 03-02-2018 at 04:22 AM.

How does one go about getting it, though, when it's hidden away on a master tape somewhere?

Attachment 14014
    Quote Originally Posted by motown01 View Post
    How does one go about getting it, though, when it's hidden away on a master tape somewhere?
    I would guess you'd have to find the owner, and get a copy of it from him or her. I've never seen an acetate or vinyl demo record of it listed for sale, nor on any list as existing. You need to find out who owns Roulette's catalogue [[an heir of Marv Levy - or to whom Levy or his heirs sold it, if he or they did).

Back in the 90s I believe EMI bought the Roulette catalogue. I don't remember hearing about any change of ownership after that, so that means that Universal may the current owners.

Rhino currently owns it. I've sat down with Ila and e-mailed them. There was no response after we requested audio.