[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1

    It was 28 Years Ago today, February 4, 1983

    It has been 28 years since the passing of Karen Carpenter...While her and her brother Richard's music is not classified as "R&B" or "Soul", Karen sang with both soul and heart. Hers was a truly individual voice and style....Imagine if she had not passed away - all the music we might have been blessed with...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by marxthespot_; 02-04-2011 at 02:23 PM.

  2. #2

  3. #3






    ----
    Truly a beautiful lady (even if she didn't think so) and a beautiful voice. Rest in peace.

  4. #4
    Hi this is Kev-Lo

    Karen Carpenter was great and she definitely had a very nice voice. She's difinitely missed

  5. #5
    topdiva1 Guest
    One of the most memorable voices ever heard. May she continue to RIP.

  6. #6
    Thank you for posting this loving tribute to Karen Carpenter. You're right, even though she didn't sing "R&B" or "Soul", she sang with soul and heart. I like that. I did not realize it was 28 years ago yesterday...God Bless, Karen.

  7. #7
    Marx: Thank you for posting that beautiful video above from their "Music, Music, Music" special. I had never seen it before. That medley is wonderful. I love their version of "Knowing When To Leave". That's always been my favourite Dionne Warwick song...and after I heard Karen's version last year, I thought, "It can't get any better than this!" I have a live version of their Bacharach medley on CD...but this studio version featured on the TV special is more superior. Is this special or this particular recording available on DVD or CD? My guess is no, as I've been having a hard time finding any Carpenters DVD's, which is a shame...

    I just finished reading the Carpenters' Complete Story this past Christmas. It was bittersweet. Karen was such a beautiful lady, inside and out. So full of life.

    Has anybody read the latest, "Little Girl Blue"? Is it recommended reading?

  8. #8
    I just did a search and didn't realize this medley is included on the "From the Top" box-set. I'm gonna have to do some shopping! All of their reissues are on my want-list.

  9. #9
    topdiva1 Guest
    Little Girl Blue - is recommending reading. Karen Carpenter's remains where removed from her orginal resting place some years ago - and placed in a private family crypt by her brother, Richard.
    Last edited by topdiva1; 02-05-2011 at 01:28 PM.

  10. #10
    I'm actually surprised there version of "Superstar" didn't even scrape the R&B charts! With those horns, backbeat and wurlitzer piano, that song definately soulful in my opinion. Regardless, Karen had a superb voice.

  11. #11


    Though the video title says "Carpenters", it's actually a Karen Carpenter solo joint. It's from her doomed 1979 solo album, "Karen Carpenter" (the one A&M and Richard gave the thumbs down on). This was written by the one and only Rod Temperton and produced by Phil Ramone.

  12. #12
    I enjoyed their music and thank you for remembering her. Nice voice. She was a pretty girl gone all too soon from a cruel World!

  13. #13
    that voice..so clear

  14. #14
    The 4 solo.Karen tracks were remixed by Richard. To me they sound better on the Lovelines LP than they did when the solo LP. Finally was released in 1996.

  15. #15
    The carpenters were cool with me,nice sound!

  16. #16
    I remember the shock and sadness I felt at Karen's passing. I had not seen any of the later tv appearances when she was appearing ill so was completely unaware of the lady's struggles. Karen and Richard left a wonderful legacy of simply perfect music for which I am appreciative.

  17. #17
    One of the purest most beautiful voices i have ever heard. I hope she has found the personal contentment she was denied in this life. May she rest in eternal peace.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    One of the purest most beautiful voices i have ever heard. I hope she has found the personal contentment she was denied in this life. May she rest in eternal peace.
    Did you ever work with the Carpenters? And what was their presence in the UK?

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Did you ever work with the Carpenters? And what was their presence in the UK?
    Sadly not, but i was a huge fan. To be honest i am glad i did not witness Karen's suffering first hand.
    They were quite big in the UK. Big enough to warrant their own BBC TV special and regular visitors to the UK.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Sadly not, but i was a huge fan. To be honest i am glad i did not witness Karen's suffering first hand.
    They were quite big in the UK. Big enough to warrant their own BBC TV special and regular visitors to the UK.
    Interesting. I know (or, I've read ...) they were huge in Japan and some other countries as well. In the US their hit-single-flame had guttered by Karen's passing but the audience enthusiasm remained.

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Interesting. I know (or, I've read ...) they were huge in Japan and some other countries as well. In the US their hit-single-flame had guttered by Karen's passing but the audience enthusiasm remained.
    Her voice was a gift from God, but we often find that such talent comes with a very heavy price to pay.
    I did meet Richard Carpenter in the late 80's and found him to be rather strange to say the very least. I felt weirdly uncomfortable in his company, and that has only ever happened to me on one subsequent occasion. I am quite relieved i never got to meet Karen. It may well have tarnished my memory of her in the way working with/for Whitney did.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Her voice was a gift from God, but we often find that such talent comes with a very heavy price to pay.
    I did meet Richard Carpenter in the late 80's and found him to be rather strange to say the very least. I felt weirdly uncomfortable in his company, and that has only ever happened to me on one subsequent occasion. I am quite relieved i never got to meet Karen. It may well have tarnished my memory of her in the way working with/for Whitney did.
    Richard seems a little ... off ... even from my outside bubble. It has been said here and there that since Karen's death he dedicated lots (most?) if his life to remixing Carpenters recordings ... over ... and over again.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.