[REMOVE ADS]

People of Black History Month not mentioned.

On various television shows and in the media there are numerous shows and article about people who were famous and that you should know during Black History Month. I have yet to hear anything about Marvin Gaye, David Ruffin, Florence Ballard, Mary Wells, etc. etc.

Has anyone else heard them mentioned during the month of February?

Although I did not keep a log of such recognition of Motown artists during Black History Month, I do recall that several local news stations, radio stations, and a few syndicated stations did mention such artists. Out of the four you mentioned, I do recall hearing/seeing references to 3 of them in the past few weeks.

Although the arts, especially music, are very, very important in the recognition of Black History Month, I am glad that more and more recognition is being given to other areas of achievement such as in medicine, engineering, philanthropy, etc. as opposed to previous years where it appeared that only the same three people would be mentioned. As a retired educator, I often felt our students, during Black History Recognition programs, were being deprived of the aforementioned achievements when organizers of such programs would choose to highlight the same 3 people each year. NOTE: Those 3 people were indeed outstanding and significant, however, they are not the only blacks to have made contributions to history.

Why do we still get all geeked up for[black history month]we as black folks should be studying our history daily...every day black history is happening!!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Why do we still get all geeked up for[black history month]we as black folks should be studying our history daily...every day black history is happening!!
    Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right on. ALL people should study Black history year-round. Not to mention that February is the shortest [[and coldest) month of the year.

If “geeked” is the way I expressed myself regarding Black History Month, then a geek I shall proudly be. I am also known to be quite a nerd.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    If “geeked” is the way I expressed myself regarding Black History Month, then a geek I shall proudly be. I am also known to be quite a nerd.
    Right on! Take a nerd over a loud mouth lout any day

Although the arts..are very, very important in the recognition of Black History Month, I am glad that more and more recognition is being given to other areas of achievement such as in medicine, engineering, philanthropy, etc. as opposed to previous years where it appeared that only the same three people would be mentioned. ..
    Much of what you said was said by Whoopi on The View. Instead of honoring the same three or four, The View honored a different person each day. I never heard of these people, but was impressed with their accomplishments. I was not alone. One of the hosts, Joy Bahar, also said that she never knew that about one of the people profiled and then said that this should be taught in school. She is a former teacher. She is right. It should be taught in school. It should not be taught just as part of Black History Month, but as part of American History.

And that's the true tea.

Haha I'm a geek too. And I'm a history geek on top of that.

I seriously doubt if more than 10 percent of Americans study Black History on a bi-monthly
    basis even and of those that do I'd wager more than half of them are not even black...

When you've been beaten down for four hundred years,told that you have no history,are ugly and stupid and you slowly learn the truth of yourself it takes awhile.

Yeah. Even now, I've learned stuff that otherwise would've been kept away had it not been for research and bringing it to public consciousness.

We have a lot to be proud of.

Essentially the entire population past-present-future for their continued contributions. As for individuals I'm always impressed to learn of unknowns - looking forward to reading the new Alain LeRoy Locke bio -

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Essentially the entire population past-present-future for their continued contributions. As for individuals I'm always impressed to learn of unknowns - looking forward to reading the new Alain LeRoy Locke bio -
    Do tell me more about this new Locke biography. I've Googled and can't seem to find anything new.

Ya now,there was a queen of an african nation that refused to bow down to the british,i heard of her some time ago but can't recall her name perhaps someone here knows of her.