[REMOVE ADS]

A question about The Futures!

So I’m aware that Harry McGilbary died 12 years ago [[ I’d seen him perform with the Temptations six years prior). I recently learned that the groups falsetto Kenny Crew, died quite untimely. Any information on how it happened? Furthermore, was it the reason they broke up.

I really dig Kenny’s leads on “You Got It” & “Love is Here”. He definitely could of been a Temptation with those pipes.

Hi jboy88,

Kenny had a great voice. We know the date of Kenny's death was 1982 according to the write up by Alex Henderson....click on link

http://www.alexvhenderson.com/arts__...18_the_futures

This blog is the closet we get to a thorough history of the group. Sadly, it doesn’t give us any details of how Crew died so young. However, it did explain that their original baritone lead died of an aneurysm.

So, according to one of the comments on this video, Kenny Crew committed suicide. Though it didn’t say how or why. Truly a sad way to go for such a talented person.
    Last edited by jboy88; 02-08-2019 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    So, according to one of the comments on this video, Kenny Crew committed suicide. Though it didn’t say how or why. Truly a sad way to go for such a talented person.
    So fantastic... and not belongs to no one PIR LP [[I have their 2 albums published "two in one" by a german label, Repertoire), was only a Gamble 45. I discovered this song very later, much after I purchased The Dramatics Lp "10 1/2" that includes a very decent cover.

I likes a lot the falsetto by Kenny Crew, specially in "Your Love Is Deep Inside Of Me" but also the other voices, as the bass [[McGilberry?) in tracks like "Sunshine & You"

More than a few factors I think led to their lack of success. Obviously, one of them was NOT signing with Gamble & Huff while they were hot. But I also think they lacked a strong baritone lead. Frank Washington IMO, wasn’t anywhere close to competing with LJ, Eddie Levert, Dennis or Teddy! I would not have selected “I Had a Dream” for their national TV debut.

I had no idea Harry McGilberry was a member of The Futures! I love their track "Ain't Got Time Fa Nothing"!!! I'm not familiar with them apart from that though.

Their Party Time Man is a Northern Soul 'Modern Soul' monster

I listened to that one actually soulwally last time I was on the thread and really enjoyed it!