[REMOVE ADS]

Florence Ballard passed away 42 years ago today

On February 22, 1976, our esteemed Florence Ballard passed away. It seems like almost yesterday. Keep her in your thoughts and prayers today. Blondie was a great singer.

Rest in power, dear Blondie.

I thought about that this afternoon. I remember that Sunday night when we heard the news. Tragic and hurtful. God Bless Florence Ballard.

Only 32. I'm 33 so you know that's MAD YOUNG.

And she was on her way to recovery at the time, which makes her death hurt.

RIP Flo. The Supremes died right with her. What a magnificent voice and personality to go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    RIP Flo. The Supremes died right with her.
    I might disagree there, since the group continued for another year after her death, and for ten years after her ouster. Granted, it was never the same after she was canned, but, even if just in name, it was still The Supremes, thanks to Mary's dogged perseverance.

For me, however, the magic ended when Florence was forced out, rather than when she died, when the act was revamped as DRATS and efforts were made to continue it as though she had never existed. I was sixteen then and it was an eye-opener for me, seeing for the first time the cut-throat nature of showbiz.

As with the death of any notable, I can remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I got the news

Rest In Paradise Florence Ballard. I still remember when I first heard about Flo's death in 1976 [[while listening to the radio at a friend's place). "Forever Faithfull".

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    I might disagree there, since the group continued for another year after her death, and for ten years after her ouster. Granted, it was never the same after she was canned, but, even if just in name, it was still The Supremes, thanks to Mary's dogged perseverance.

For me, however, the magic ended when Florence was forced out, rather than when she died, when the act was revamped as DRATS and efforts were made to continue it as though she had never existed. I was sixteen then and it was an eye-opener for me, seeing for the first time the cut-throat nature of showbiz.

As with the death of any notable, I can remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I got the news
    What I really meant was that when she died, the hope of her, Diana and Mary ever getting together once more died as well. IMO, there would never be a real Supremes reunion without the original three.

Nor would there be real Supremes. Each successive grouping was further and further from the magic of DMF. At least with DS&TS, it was a different name with a change in focus and style - like it or not. After that, good as they were, they were as mentioned Supremes in name only.
    Flo was a unique and wonderful talent, as all three were, but I think she was the most popular in that everyone liked her, you never heard a bad word about her. Diana was loved but also had her detractors, as did Mary. Not Flo - everyone dug her.

Yeah I love all the Supremes lineups but DMF will always be the magical lineup, aka "the classic three".

I never heard anything negative about Mary In The 60s. To me Mary, Cindy and Jean were also classically Supreme.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I never heard anything negative about Mary In The 60s. To me Mary, Cindy and Jean were also classically Supreme.
    The negativity has damaged the Supremes, reduced chances of group recognition for anything major, killed off any reunions and damaged the value of the name.

All in all a shame and it can’t be fixed now

Unfortunately I don't think it won't be until the other original two meet their demises that people would REALIZE how important the Supremes really were but none of them will be here to hear that.

Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Unfortunately I don't think it won't be until the other original two meet their demises that people would REALIZE how important the Supremes really were but none of them will be here to hear that.

Sad.
    I think you might be right that there might be more recognition then; the group certainly had been virtually ignored in the last 10 years beyond local small recognition; Diana got a lot but the Supremes little

May Florence Ballard Rest in Peace. As far as the Supremes go, Florence is the only member so far who has passed away[[in 1976). As compared to other Motown groups, the former members are all living except for Florence. Diana Ross and Mary Wilson still look and sound great, performing for audiences. 1970's Supremes Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene still perform as the former ladies of the Supremes and look and sound great. Lynda Laurence still performed with that group until last year when she decided to pursue other interests. Jean Terrell performs infrequently and has pursued other interests. Cindy Birdsong is still with us, even though she is unwell although she is much , much loved. So, rather than focus on anything else I would focus on remembering Florence and celebrating all of the other Supremes who are still with us.

I didn't know Jean was still performing?

When I said she performs infrequently, I didn't mean she is currently out there like Diana,Mary, Scherrie & Susaye but that she had been in the FLOs and in the past 10 years has done occasional things like through the eyes of a Supreme and performed with Preston Glass.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    When I said she performs infrequently, I didn't mean she is currently out there like Diana,Mary, Scherrie & Susaye but that she had been in the FLOs and in the past 10 years has done occasional things like through the eyes of a Supreme and performed with Preston Glass.
    Oh OK, makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I didn't know Jean was still performing?
    Jean sings when she wants to.

So in other words, Jean ain't hurting for money [[and also someone who lives by her rules and no one else's).