[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    They chose a neophyte Supreme with not one show under her belt to to the chore for ailing Jean.
    I believe part of the reason they asked Lynda to do the lead duties is 1) vocally she could handle them and 2) all of the orchestra charts were in a key that required a soprano lead voice. As much as I love Cindy, she would not have been able to step in for Jean even though she too is a soprano. Cindy had rarely sung ANY leads so it would have been out of the question for her to do an entire show. Mary probably could have pulled it off, more or less, except that she's an alto and would have required them completely transcribing all of the music which wasn't realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    If the Supremes had chose to leave Motown in 1965, they could've done what Mary Wells did when she left. Mary signed as a 17-year-old. When her contract expired in 1964 after she turned 21, she hired a lawyer who told her that she could argue her contract with Motown was "invalid" because she was a minor at the time and that was how she got out of it. I believe Berry had the contract rules to change afterwards because he didn't wanna have any of his artists argue about contracts [[that didn't quite work with Stevie since he hired one of the smartest attorneys in the business, Vigoda, to have things go in Stevie's favor rather than Motown's).

Then again, the Supremes, when they renewed their contract in 1965, could've hired lawyers who told them "look, girls, your group's name is important, you need to make sure you get it trademarked so Mr. Gordy don't do nothing with that name". I'm sure that's how Otis and Melvin got "The Temptations" trademarked because how else were they gonna exist in the industry with Motown controlling their name?

They controlled the Marvelettes'. The Four Tops were the Four Tops BEFORE signing with Motown. I think Martha and the original Vandellas eventually got their name back in their possession [[not to mention a chunk of performing royalties they were probably denied when the group dissolved in 1972) after suing Motown in 1983 and 1989 [[Martha sued first and the original Vandellas - Rosalind and Annette - sued after; which probably explains why Martha didn't join Mary in the streaming bill push, just speculating).

But I think like the Marvelettes, the Supremes were LOYAL to Berry Gordy so they didn't question nothing. And since they were one of THE biggest acts of the '60s, they were wined and dined more than the other Motown acts who lived on crumbs compared to them save for Marvin [[who had the Gordy connections by technicality due to who he married), The Tempts and the Tops.

Also, when you start a group at 14, 15 years old, you're too naive. All you wanna do is sing. Education goes out the window since you're so determined to be a superstar. I mean, the Supremes each achieved their status before they were mature enough to understand what was really going on. They were all fresh out of high school when they made chart history. Just 20, 21 years old. Basically CHILD PRODIGIES. They bought into the "we are family" hype that the company told them so of course they weren't gonna question Motown about royalties or name possession or any kind of artistic control. Flo could've but she was going through so much, all she can do is rant and fight. Mary and Diana were so used to the good life and all of that [[by their own admissions), they couldn't really see how much people played them.

They each found out too late that they were being taken advantage of. Flo couldn't leave the label to use her Supremes connections to help out her post-Supremes career, Diana left with only $250,000 in her possession [[and she had three kids to support when she left) and had to invest in real estate and become a producer/executive producer of her concert shows, TV specials and albums and Mary basically had to do whatever she had to do to make sure she kept the finances right [[as far as I know, unlike Flo, she nor Diana never had to file bankruptcy and after Mary cut her husband Pedro out of the picture, she turned everything around for her).

I still wonder if Mary is still fighting to retain the Supremes name for her, the estate of Florence and Diana since if the name belongs to any of the members, it's those three.

And to note, they could've gotten control of things while still in Michigan rather than before they and the company relocated to California.
    Mary addresses much of this in her books:

1. the girls were young when they signed and therefore had to have a parent or guardian sign the contracts. being minors, they're not legally allowed to sign a contract on their own.
    2. the Mary Wells example did exactly the opposite of what you propose - it clearly showed that Motown was the place to be and if you left, you could easily go under like Mary Wells did
    3. during the Supreme's peak period [[64 - late 60s) they were getting everything they could possibly want. True, if they were savvy negotiators they could have pulled a stunt like HDH and tried to hold out for a better deal. But you're correct in that they were loyal to Gordy and Motown. they wanted to stay.
    4. Motown PR dept fooled them too - the world was under the assumption that the Sups were rolling in dough and multi-millionaires. and that every song they released sold millions. Motown helped to develop this image by having limos everywhere, first class accommodations, furs, designer clothes, etc. Sometimes Gordy just gave the girls gifts. sometimes they were billed.
    5. the supremes went from nothing to everything - it's hardly unique to the girls that they didn't save their money. to go from the gutter to glitter is very captivating and when you have the supposed ability to spend endlessly, most people do. human nature
    6. the temps got their name in the 70s when they were leaving due to Smokey's intervention. the Supremes would never have been able to take their name because of connection to Diana Ross and Motown would never let another label have access to any of that legacy.

Mary has given up on the name, which is why she went to plan B: Truth in Music. The Temptations made up their name and so they owned it. Motown employee made up The Supremes so Motown owns it. There’s nothing to discuss, sadly. I wish it were theirs. People have to stop blaming Motown for things their artists agreed to and later regretted. I love Mary but she does play the victim card well. I admire that she fights back as well. This streaming thing she’s doing is amazing - not exactly selfless, but so what? History may just honor her mightily for her work on behalf of artists. She will deserve it. It’s a commonality that could possibly even get her and Diana speaking.
    The Supremes is a trademarked name just like any product - crest, Palmolive, Coke Cola, Netflix, United Airlines, etc. There are clear steps to applying for trademark and ownership of a product name. According to Mary's book, Motown had actually NOT done that until they discovered her attempts in the mid 70s. and then according to her book, they colluded with her lawyer to have the papers sent to them vs her.

I've always wondered if mary had made the application and been granted it if she really would have ownership of it. quite possible that she would have. But I wonder if the fact that she signed multiple contracts with Motown where it states that MOTOWN owned the name and the group would have allowed for Motown to contest her application and ownership. they certainly would have tried

The Tempts, Tops, Pips owned their names cuz they arrived or invented them. I do think, that when Ross left the Supremes, had she and Mary been on better terms, they might have been able to wrangle the name or a portion thereof. But since they were barely speaking, it’s a moot point.

Mary has given up on the name, which is why she went to plan B: Truth in Music. The Temptations made up their name and so they owned it. Motown employee made up The Supremes so Motown owns it. There’s nothing to discuss, sadly. I wish it were theirs. People have to stop blaming Motown for things their artists agreed to and later regretted. I love Mary but she does play the victim card well. I admire that she fights back as well. This streaming thing she’s doing is amazing - not exactly selfless, but so what? History may just honor her mightily for her work on behalf of artists. She will deserve it. It’s a commonality that could possibly even get her and Diana speaking.
    You're just making stuff up aren't you? First of all. When Berry Gordy sold Motown in 1988 to MCA and Boston Ventures, he also sold the name "The Supremes" along with the recording company. In 1990 Berry Gordy and Mary Wilson met and Mr. Gordy presented Mary with a check in the six figures and it was not in the low six figures as her proceeds from the sell of the name "The Supremes". She had held 50% ownership, but could not do much with it until Motown and the name were sold!

The Temptations did not originally own their name [[btw, Billy Mitchell and Mickey Stevenson helped them come up with the name "The Temptations". After they left Motown with the help of Smokey Robinson, then Otis Williams and Melvin Franklin trademarked the name. They did not own it during their hit making days.

That "Motown employee" you referred to was Janie, Janie Bradford and she did not make up the name "The Supremes" she simply put it, along with several other potential names in a hat and Florence Ballard chose the name "The Supremes". They did not have to settle on that name, but Florence liked it and that was that! Motown did not trademark that name until they started to see the hitmaking potential of the group! Their owning it had nothing whatsoever with Janie putting it in a hat! Geez! LOL!!!!
    Last edited by marv2; 03-01-2018 at 01:13 PM.

And as I understand it the courts have often given original members of groups the ability to use the groups name as the original members have used it over the years for their livelihood and became de facto owners of the name. If Mary hadn’t been pressured to continue to spend millions to fight for the name she probably would have eventually won the name in court, especially these days when singers right are coming to the forefront.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    You're just making stuff up aren't you? First of all. When Berry Gordy sold Motown in 1988 to MCA and Boston Ventures, he also sold the name "The Supremes" along with the recording company. In 1990 Berry Gordy and Mary Wilson met and Mr. Gordy presented Mary with a check in the six figures and it was not in the low six figures as her proceeds from the sell of the name "The Supremes". She had held 50% ownership, but could not do much with it until Motown and the name were sold!

The Temptations did not originally own their name [[btw, Billy Mitchell and Mickey Stevenson helped them come up with the name "The Temptations". After they left Motown with the help of Smokey Robinson, then Otis Williams and Melvin Franklin trademarked the name. They did not own it during their hit making days.

That "Motown employee" you referred to was Janie, Janie Bradford and she did not make up the name "The Supremes" she simply put it, along with several other potential names in a hat and Florence Ballard chose the name "The Supremes". They did not have to settle on that name, but Florence liked it and that was that! Motown did not trademark that name until they started to see the hitmaking potential of the group! Their owning it had nothing whatsoever with Janie putting it in hat! Geez! LOL!!!!
    I am making things up? LOL

From Supreme Faith:

Now that we are approaching the millennium, I have decided to tell my side of the truth about my ongoing fights over the ownership of the name of that Supremes. The creativity that made the Supremes famous at Motown had been for filling in the 60s and the 70s. I love the old company and had much success with them throughout the years. However, they have been more of the source of all my legal battles using my trademark application to get ownership of the name Supremes. Though I have given up the fight with Motown over ownership I will not give up the fight for the Goodwill and the legacy of the Supremes, a legacy that I, Florence, and Diana created and I have spent a lifetime maintaining. As the only original member I still own that legacy one that no one can take away from me. In the 1990s I made a conscious decision to get on with my life and concentrate on my art my business and my children. I wanted to be free of the negative energy and to recoup the millions of dollars I spent on litigation in the previous 20 years.

After all the drama of the 70s and the 80s I had decided that enough was enough I picked up the phone and called Barry Gordy in 1990. He was happy I wanted to resolve all of our problems. He agreed that it was time to put the past behind us. We set up a meeting for the settlement. This was after Motown was sold the MCA records. After learning that Motown had been sold to MCA records, I recall that I had been given 50% of the name Supremes if were ever sold. So coming to this meeting I expected to get some profits from the sale of the name Supremes. But when I asked Barry about my 50 percent he said, “we just sold as a package deal along with everything else in the company. The name was included for the token payment of one dollar. So you don’t get anything. “I thought to myself I’ve been screwed again!”

I got my info from Mary, her book, and two interviews. That info is in direct contrast with yours. Someone is making things up. It was you that announced that diana ross was broke having given all of her money to Bernie Madoff and losing it all.

I got my info from Mary, her book, and two interviews. That info is in direct contrast with yours. Someone is making things up. It was you that announced that diana ross was broke having given all of her money to Bernie Madoff and losing it all.
    LOL. I remember that lie about Diane Ross and Bernie Madoff. Marv never could produce a lick of evidennce because he made it up.

Huh? Diana never had any dealings with Madoff? The hell?

Wow. Mary really thought she would own 50% of the Supremes name with Motown? Am I reading it correctly, Maniac? Wow...

See what I mean? I just wish the women did learn how this business really is... these kids came into an industry that took advantage of them. I'm glad Diana and Mary eventually made profit out of their hard work eventually but man...

From Supreme Faith:

Now that we are approaching the millennium, I have decided to tell my side of the truth about my ongoing fights over the ownership of the name of that Supremes. The creativity that made the Supremes famous at Motown had been for filling in the 60s and the 70s. I love the old company and had much success with them throughout the years. However, they have been more of the source of all my legal battles using my trademark application to get ownership of the name Supremes. Though I have given up the fight with Motown over ownership I will not give up the fight for the Goodwill and the legacy of the Supremes, a legacy that I, Florence, and Diana created and I have spent a lifetime maintaining. As the only original member I still own that legacy one that no one can take away from me. In the 1990s I made a conscious decision to get on with my life and concentrate on my art my business and my children. I wanted to be free of the negative energy and to recoup the millions of dollars I spent on litigation in the previous 20 years.

After all the drama of the 70s and the 80s I had decided that enough was enough I picked up the phone and called Barry Gordy in 1990. He was happy I wanted to resolve all of our problems. He agreed that it was time to put the past behind us. We set up a meeting for the settlement. This was after Motown was sold the MCA records. After learning that Motown had been sold to MCA records, I recall that I had been given 50% of the name Supremes if were ever sold. So coming to this meeting I expected to get some profits from the sale of the name Supremes. But when I asked Barry about my 50 percent he said, “we just sold as a package deal along with everything else in the company. The name was included for the token payment of one dollar. So you don’t get anything. “I thought to myself I’ve been screwed again!”

Yeah you're making stuff up. Mary got a NICE settlement from the sale of the name along with Motown and she was very happy about it at the time as I remember. She so happy she went on BET and said so! I have not read Mary's book since the early 90s, but what you posted is what I said above except for that "So you don't get anything". She got something....a big something!
    Last edited by marv2; 02-27-2018 at 11:10 PM. Reason: left out the word "making"

From Supreme Faith:

Diana Ross gave ALL of her money to Bernie Madoff? Wow, I didn't know that. Then she is as dumb as everyone has always said. I have heard that she had some dealings with him that went south on her and Ouch! Did it hurt! LOL!!!!!

Huh? Diana never had any dealings with Madoff? The hell?

Wow. Mary really thought she would own 50% of the Supremes name with Motown? Am I reading it correctly, Maniac? Wow...

See what I mean? I just wish the women did learn how this business really is... these kids came into an industry that took advantage of them. I'm glad Diana and Mary eventually made profit out of their hard work eventually but man...
    There isnt a shred of evidence to prove that Diane Ross gave a dime to Bernie Madoff. Her number one obsesser made that lie up.

Diana Ross gave ALL of her money to Bernie Madoff? Wow, I didn't know that. Then she is as dumb as everyone has always said. I have heard that she had some dealings with him that went south on her and Ouch! Did it hurt! LOL!!!!!
    No you and only you made up the lie about Diane having dealings with Bernie Madoff.

Marv, it disappoints me that you didn’t thank me for giving you the correct info about the name dealings since you had so much to say about it in an authoritarian manner. I would think you would find the truth interesting at least since it is so far from what you had said.

As far as Ross/Madoff, I don’t know how much it was, cuz I got the info from you, and you stated “she was broke because she got greedy and gave all her money to him to invest and lost it all.” That info, like the hundreds of thousands that Mary got for the name, came from you. LOL!!!!!!!

Jesus Christ...

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    I believe part of the reason they asked Lynda to do the lead duties is 1) vocally she could handle them and 2) all of the orchestra charts were in a key that required a soprano lead voice. As much as I love Cindy, she would not have been able to step in for Jean even though she too is a soprano. Cindy had rarely sung ANY leads so it would have been out of the question for her to do an entire show. Mary probably could have pulled it off, more or less, except that she's an alto and would have required them completely transcribing all of the music which wasn't realistic.
    its true the charts would have been an issue for Mary, but they could have blown through it well enough. But if you listen to her ‘79 show or watch her in interviews, she’s not prepared in 72 to address the audience well enough yet. She became adept in the 80s and is now an old pro. Cindy just didn’t have the chops or presence to lead anything. Her slight voice had very little personality. Lynda had the most commercial voice of the three, and was by far the most eloquent speaker. She proved that on Flip Wilson, I believe. Plus, if you listen to what’s out there of the show, she nails it!

its true the charts would have been an issue for Mary, but they could have blown through it well enough. But if you listen to her ‘79 show or watch her in interviews, she’s not prepared in 72 to address the audience well enough yet. She became adept in the 80s and is now an old pro. Cindy just didn’t have the chops or presence to lead anything. Her slight voice had very little personality. Lynda had the most commercial voice of the three, and was by far the most eloquent speaker. She proved that on Flip Wilson, I believe. Plus, if you listen to what’s out there of the show, she nails it!
    Completely agree! I think the lineup of MLC could have been an interesting one! Frankly I like their blend a bit better than MJL. I think J and L both have unique voices and hard to blend w. m and C are perfect together and allow whatever lead singer to shine

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    The Supremes is a trademarked name just like any product - crest, Palmolive, Coke Cola, Netflix, United Airlines, etc. There are clear steps to applying for trademark and ownership of a product name. According to Mary's book, Motown had actually NOT done that until they discovered her attempts in the mid 70s. and then according to her book, they colluded with her lawyer to have the papers sent to them vs her.

I've always wondered if mary had made the application and been granted it if she really would have ownership of it. quite possible that she would have. But I wonder if the fact that she signed multiple contracts with Motown where it states that MOTOWN owned the name and the group would have allowed for Motown to contest her application and ownership. they certainly would have tried
    Exactly!..............

Jesus Christ...

I know right? LOL!!!!!!!

What exactly has Motown done with the name?? I don’t see any more Supremes white bread being marketed!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    What exactly has Motown done with the name?? I don’t see any more Supremes white bread being marketed!
    Name:  51dcN0enbkL._AC_US436_QL65_.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  26.8 KBName:  510ti+KsX+L._AC_US320_QL65_.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  19.1 KBName:  41YYDnsH5tL._AC_US436_QL65_.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  17.3 KBName:  51RN5ImtIkL._AC_US436_QL65_.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  36.1 KBName:  Unknown.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  13.1 KBName:  51cpkx2iEQL._AC_US320_QL65_.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  12.0 KBName:  61KYDerJqzL._AC_US436_QL65_.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  41.2 KBName:  51ujs3sXHeL._AC_US320_QL65_.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  21.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    No you and only you made up the lie about Diane having dealings with Bernie Madoff.
    If Diana had been in trouble because of Madoof, she would have gotten away with her usual glamour! She doesn't know how else to do it.

Im guessing that they are more about protecting the legacy than exploiting it. The Supremes is their premium brand and don’t want a bunch of erstwhile groupings Of nobodies going out and destroying the legacy. They would probably liscence5 the name to Ross for another RTL or Mary for a 70s grouping, but that would prolly be it. They also try to Protect the world from phony rip off covers killing themselves as the Supremes stealing sales away from the original recordings. I know some of that goes on anyway and I feel sorry for the people who get ripped off thinking that getting an original when they’re not.

Yeah. You can say Motown has definitely protected the Supremes' name from being stolen off like the Marvelettes' were. I'm still not over that!

Now Luke, you know darn well Motown passed the torch to Shantel Baker!

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Now Luke, you know darn well Motown passed the torch to Shantel Baker!
    LOL!!!! "You got wait!, you gotta give and take take...." LOL!

Sorry Lakeside. I was in denial. Supreme Shantel! Being a Baker she is now making that Supreme bread

I don’t know that Motown did a damn thing about groups like SOS etc. Mary tried. As Diana didn’t want the name except for RTL it just seems spiteful not to give it to Mary.

I don’t know that Motown did a damn thing about groups like SOS etc. Mary tried. As Diana didn’t want the name except for RTL it just seems spiteful not to give it to Mary.

I agree. She is the one that put the most into it.

There was a male vocal group in the 50's named The Supremes who issued several records.
    The name must not have been trademarked / the group dissolved when it came time to rename The Primettes.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    There was a male vocal group in the 50's named The Supremes who issued several records.
    The name must not have been trademarked / the group dissolved when it came time to rename The Primettes.
    Also the some of the male group members of Ruby and the Romantics of "Our Day Will Come" fame were once called "The Supremes".
    Last edited by marv2; 03-01-2018 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Here is the Facebook post:

Sweet Feet Music
    Like Page
    February 19 at 1:46pm
    Mary Wilson and Sweet feet Music had a great time at The Nikko . Get ready for A RED HOT summer and fall. Mary gave me THE MASTERS of FOUR RARE unreleased tracks , giving them a good listen and then off to JCK Music for Digital Remastering .
    Keep it sweet . #BeSupreme
    Red Hot summer and fall is beginning to look like a "Nathan Jones" lyric.

#imstillwaiting [[oops)

George and Andy explained the Red Hot album and Mary’s Gus tracks situations and I still don’t understand it! Not their fault!

yeah - or we could send this thread to DRATS.

Diana left in early 1970.

If the Supremes had chose to leave Motown in 1965, they could've done what Mary Wells did when she left. Mary signed as a 17-year-old. When her contract expired in 1964 after she turned 21, she hired a lawyer who told her that she could argue her contract with Motown was "invalid" because she was a minor at the time and that was how she got out of it. I believe Berry had the contract rules to change afterwards because he didn't wanna have any of his artists argue about contracts [[that didn't quite work with Stevie since he hired one of the smartest attorneys in the business, Vigoda, to have things go in Stevie's favor rather than Motown's).

Then again, the Supremes, when they renewed their contract in 1965, could've hired lawyers who told them "look, girls, your group's name is important, you need to make sure you get it trademarked so Mr. Gordy don't do nothing with that name". I'm sure that's how Otis and Melvin got "The Temptations" trademarked because how else were they gonna exist in the industry with Motown controlling their name?

They controlled the Marvelettes'. The Four Tops were the Four Tops BEFORE signing with Motown. I think Martha and the original Vandellas eventually got their name back in their possession [[not to mention a chunk of performing royalties they were probably denied when the group dissolved in 1972) after suing Motown in 1983 and 1989 [[Martha sued first and the original Vandellas - Rosalind and Annette - sued after; which probably explains why Martha didn't join Mary in the streaming bill push, just speculating).

But I think like the Marvelettes, the Supremes were LOYAL to Berry Gordy so they didn't question nothing. And since they were one of THE biggest acts of the '60s, they were wined and dined more than the other Motown acts who lived on crumbs compared to them save for Marvin [[who had the Gordy connections by technicality due to who he married), The Tempts and the Tops.

Also, when you start a group at 14, 15 years old, you're too naive. All you wanna do is sing. Education goes out the window since you're so determined to be a superstar. I mean, the Supremes each achieved their status before they were mature enough to understand what was really going on. They were all fresh out of high school when they made chart history. Just 20, 21 years old. Basically CHILD PRODIGIES. They bought into the "we are family" hype that the company told them so of course they weren't gonna question Motown about royalties or name possession or any kind of artistic control. Flo could've but she was going through so much, all she can do is rant and fight. Mary and Diana were so used to the good life and all of that [[by their own admissions), they couldn't really see how much people played them.

They each found out too late that they were being taken advantage of. Flo couldn't leave the label to use her Supremes connections to help out her post-Supremes career, Diana left with only $250,000 in her possession [[and she had three kids to support when she left) and had to invest in real estate and become a producer/executive producer of her concert shows, TV specials and albums and Mary basically had to do whatever she had to do to make sure she kept the finances right [[as far as I know, unlike Flo, she nor Diana never had to file bankruptcy and after Mary cut her husband Pedro out of the picture, she turned everything around for her).

I still wonder if Mary is still fighting to retain the Supremes name for her, the estate of Florence and Diana since if the name belongs to any of the members, it's those three.

And to note, they could've gotten control of things while still in Michigan rather than before they and the company relocated to California.
    Diana didn't have any children until the birth of Rhonda in 1971.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    Diana didn't have any children until the birth of Rhonda in 1971.
    midnight was referring to when she left in 81. 100,000 from the group and the rest from her solo material