[REMOVE ADS]

Yvonne Fair - Let Your Hair Down

Motown should've promoted their black rock/funk acts harder lol

Yvonne had a surefire hit album [[and Marvin Gaye backed her and if I'm not mistaken, didn't he produce some of the tracks? I think I hear him vocally backing her here too) and Motown let it go to waste [[besides from It Should Have Been Me being a UK hit later on). SHAME!!!

I just love her "fe-fi-fo-fa-HUM!" Another song hip-hop heavily sampled.
    Last edited by midnightman; 02-21-2018 at 12:35 AM.

One of my all-time favorite MoTown albums. It was produced by Norman Whitfield and arranged by Whitfield and Paul Riser. Marvin is clearly heard on the opening of "Funky Music Sho' Nuff Turns Me On" though he is not credited. Background is credited to The Waters and Carolyn Willis. The musicians are a who's who, the cream of Motown session players.

Re-reading the album cover, "Stay A Little Longer" was produced by Harvey Fuqua "I Know [[You Don't Love Me No More) was produced by Clay McMurray and "It's Bad For Me To See You" was produced by Pam Sawyer and Gloria Jones.

Yeah I figured Norman produced it, which is telling since he left Motown a year later to form the Whitfield label and produced Rose Royce.

The album might have done much better as a Whitfield label project.

Yvonne was in her "Cave girl" outfit & persona on Soul Train and or American Bandstand promoting "Funky Music......" which we all thought would be a big hit. Yvonne was married at the time to Sammy Strain, a former Imperial & then current O'Jay.

Yvonne's album is fantastic, I love every track!!!! It really should have given her more success, although as midnight says "It Should Have Been Me" was a hit in the UK. [[And used hilariously in The Vicar Of Dibley )

I have to say I prefer The Tempts' original version of this particular song, but have come to appreciate Yvonne's funk-rock-ish rendition in recent times!!! The Undisputed Truth are on backing vocals too. [[Fun fact )

"Funky Music Sho Nuff Turns Me On" is similarly awesome, and "Stay A Little Longer" is like a little mini-masterpiece of a song.

I figured The Undisputed Truth was on bg vox!

It is an awesome album, a real party album. I love the weird themes of "It's Bad For Me to See You" [[especially when she sings "the moment I stood beside you, I felt the need for a tranquilizer!" - not a lyric you hear very often). Pam Sawyer and Gloria Jones had a way with such themes. "I Hate Myself for Loving You" is another one of their standouts, in my opinion, which was done by Gladys Knight amongst others I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    It is an awesome album, a real party album. I love the weird themes of "It's Bad For Me to See You" [[especially when she sings "the moment I stood beside you, I felt the need for a tranquilizer!" - not a lyric you hear very often). Pam Sawyer and Gloria Jones had a way with such themes. "I Hate Myself for Loving You" is another one of their standouts, in my opinion, which was done by Gladys Knight amongst others I believe.
    Gladys did a version of ITS A BAD FOR ME TO SEE YOU, which went unreleased for years. Gloria Jones later said that Gladys had difficulty in getting into the lyric. Being that I HATE MYSELF FOR LOVING YOU mentioned suicide, I always wondered how Gladys felt about those songs.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Gladys did a version of ITS A BAD FOR ME TO SEE YOU, which went unreleased for years. Gloria Jones later said that Gladys had difficulty in getting into the lyric. Being that I HATE MYSELF FOR LOVING YOU mentioned suicide, I always wondered how Gladys felt about those songs.
    I forgot about the reference to suicide in that song! Yes, very dark indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    Re-reading the album cover, "Stay A Little Longer" was produced by Harvey Fuqua "I Know [[You Don't Love Me No More) was produced by Clay McMurray and "It's Bad For Me To See You" was produced by Pam Sawyer and Gloria Jones.
    "Stay A Little Longer" was recorded earlier than the other tracks in May 1969, the b side "We Sould Never Be Lonely My Love" is equally as good. I bought this single in a bargain bin and played both these sides to death.

Marvin is clearly heard on the opening of "Funky Music Sho' Nuff Turns Me On" though he is not credited. Background is credited to The Waters and Carolyn Willis. The musicians are a who's who, the cream of Motown session players.
    Marvin Gaye was credited on the Tamla Motown single in the UK when released in 1974. Presume he was also credited on the US single release in the same year.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    "Stay A Little Longer" was recorded earlier than the other tracks in May 1969, the b side "We Sould Never Be Lonely My Love" is equally as good. I bought this single in a bargain bin and played both these sides to death.
    I never heard that B-side. The reissue of the album on CD is a great piece, with wonderful mastering, but no bonus tracks.

We need an Yvonne Fair "Bitch is Black" Expanded Edition!

Marvin Gaye was credited on the Tamla Motown single in the UK when released in 1974. Presume he was also credited on the US single release in the same year.
    And Marvin was a legend/superstar by then. How you gon' not credit one of the most famous soul singers of all time?! LOL

I didn't know about "We Should Never Be Lonely My Love". I see that it is available as a download, from Vol 10 of the Complete Motown Singles. Thank goodness. And thanks for the tip!

I didn't know about "We Should Never Be Lonely My Love". I see that it is available as a download, from Vol 10 of the Complete Motown Singles. Thank goodness. And thanks for the tip!
    Oh, good. Then I do have it after all! What a relief! LOL

The male background vocal on the track is Johnnie Bristol who sings in the same style as on 'Someday We'll Be Together", recorded the previous month.

The album might have done much better as a Whitfield label project.
    Why do you say that? I tend to agree, I'm just curious what your reasoning is.

Marvin Gaye was not credited on the US single of "Funky Music Sho 'Nuff.........". I bought the single new back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Saechao View Post
    Why do you say that? I tend to agree, I'm just curious what your reasoning is.
    Essentially, better promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    Marvin Gaye was not credited on the US single of "Funky Music Sho 'Nuff.........". I bought the single new back then.
    Motown messed up.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    He wasn't credited on the album either, was he? I'm sure it was intentional. Kind of like Alfred Hitchcock walking on screen in a cameo role at the beginning of one of his movies, a sort of inside joke. I doubt Gaye needed [[or wanted) the credit. It sure was fun to hear him as the first voice on the first song on the album and to think, hey I know who that is!

Interesting about Marvin. I always wondered. And Yvonne at Whitfield Records? Also interesting. Could she have signed with Whitfield after this album? When did she leave Motown?

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Interesting about Marvin. I always wondered. And Yvonne at Whitfield Records? Also interesting. Could she have signed with Whitfield after this album? When did she leave Motown?
    She appeared in "Lady Sings the Blues," which I think was a year or so after the solo album. I remember thinking how different she looked in the film than on the album cover. She seemed a lot more svelte in the Dominatrix photo...think it was heavily doctored, maybe? I mean, the contrast was astounding.

IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ME began to get airplay on KFRC , the #1 radio station in the major league market of the SF Bay Area . That could've catapulted it into the higher Billboard chart positions had other major markets followed suit. I think it got a push for a couple of weeks before it was dropped.
    I went and got the 45 and played it on my college campus radio show. I flipped it and played the Stevie Wonder written "B" side too :

I think that's Dennis Coffey prominently on that?

Can't help wondering why Norman wasn't interested in her once he got his own label ??

She appeared in "Lady Sings the Blues," which I think was a year or so after the solo album. I remember thinking how different she looked in the film than on the album cover. She seemed a lot more svelte in the Dominatrix photo...think it was heavily doctored, maybe? I mean, the contrast was astounding.
    Actually, The Bitch Is Black was released roughly 3 years after Lady.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Actually, The Bitch Is Black was released roughly 3 years after Lady.
    Interesting...I thought they were much closer. Thanks.

@boogiedown, I am pretty sure Coffey is credited on that album. Whitfield tended to credit the studio musicians [[certainly more than on other Motown albums) and that was likely Coffey's busiest period at Motown, I think.

He wasn't credited on the album either, was he? I'm sure it was intentional. Kind of like Alfred Hitchcock walking on screen in a cameo role at the beginning of one of his movies, a sort of inside joke. I doubt Gaye needed [[or wanted) the credit. It sure was fun to hear him as the first voice on the first song on the album and to think, hey I know who that is!
    Yeah but it's weird. Nowadays, if this was released as a single, he'd be credited as a duet partner on it lmao

Just downloaded "We Should Never Be Lonely My Love". Great song, glad I found out about it.

Musicians on "The Bitch Is Black".
    Keyboards: Marc Davis, Earl Van Dyke.
    Bass: Henry Davis, James Jamerson.
    Guitars: Johnny McGhee, Dennis Coffey, Melvin "Wah-Wah" Ragin, Eddie Willis.
    Drums: James Gadson, Eddie Greene.
    Congo, Bongo: Eddie "Bongo" Brown

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Motown messed up.

It happens all the time and I really didn't even care. Just a listen would tell anyone who
    that cat wailing in the background was. Heck, Mick Jagger wasn't credited on Carly Simon's You're So Vain but the first time I heard it I knew he was there...Anyhoo, It
    Should Have Been Me was my favorite version of that tune. Remains to be to this day...

At around 2.55 she says something about "This is the part of the song where the horn section...." then I can't make it out. What does she say exactly?

Also, I can't hear any horn section after her comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Truth View Post
    At around 2.55 she says something about "This is the part of the song where the horn section...." then I can't make it out. What does she say exactly?

Also, I can't hear any horn section after her comment.
    Hey Cosmic, I just listened to Yvonne's version and you’re right, it isn’t clear, but I remember from The Tempts' original, that Dennis says “this is the part of the song where the horns take the throne”... I believe. Yvonne isn't as clear but I think she's saying that too.

In The Tempts' version the horn section subsequently does take the throne, but as you say it isn't at all present in Yvonne's, instead some fiesty guitar work!!!

Hey Cosmic, I just listened to Yvonne's version and you’re right, it isn’t clear, but I remember from The Tempts' original, that Dennis says “this is the part of the song where the horns take the throne”... I believe. Yvonne isn't as clear but I think she's saying that too.

In The Tempts' version the horn section subsequently does take the throne, but as you say it isn't at all present in Yvonne's, instead some fiesty guitar work!!!
    It's a bit strange introducing the horn section, then not having them on the track. She could easily have introduced the guitar player.

And all these years I've been singing "This is the part of the song where the horn section throws down"!

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Truth View Post
    It's a bit strange introducing the horn section, then not having them on the track. She could easily have introduced the guitar player.
    Lol I was gonna say I doubt that she heard the guitar but the way that song was recorded, I don't know.