[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wells - First Lady of Motown

In another thread, Berry Gordy and Claudette Robinson refer to Claudette as the First Lady of Motown. She was the first woman signed to the label, but she was signed as part of a group.

People of my generation always remember Mary Wells being referred to as the FIRST LADY OF MOTOWN in the early sixties, especially when radio dee-jays were introducing her records. Motown had many hits on the charts by the Marvellettes, Martha & the Vandellas, The Miracles, Contours, Mary Wells and others. Mary was the female soloist with the biggest and most hits on the charts and was constantly referred to as First Lady of Motown.

Of course later, Diana had more hits with and without the Supremes, and by rights, at this point, she probably should be referred to as the First Lady of Motown, but referring to her as Queen of Motown is just as good.

I guess it is a generation thing. To me, Bette Davis is First Lady of Motion Pictures, Ella is First Lady of Song, & Helen Hayes is First Lady of Theatre. All have had successors. And to me, Mary Wells is the First Lady of Motown

Written by Linnea Crowther

Mary Wells was one of the early superstars of Motown Records. In fact, she was so important to the development of the label's sound, and such a bright light in the label's early catalog, that she was known as "The First Lady of Motown."

That title also referred to Wells' status as the first female star at Motown. There were a few women who joined the label before she did, Wells was the first to be wildly successful. And while we've got "firsts" on our minds, here are a few other firsts from Motown’s First Lady…

In 1961, Mary Wells became the first Motown female artist to have a Top 40 pop single. "I Don't Want to Take a Chance" made it to No. 33 on the U.S. pop chart and helped establish Motown Records as a youth-culture powerhouse.

Motown quickly gained respect in the music industry, and less than two years after that first "first," Wells was nominated for a Grammy Award for her single "You Beat Me to the Punch." She was the first Motown star to receive a Grammy nomination.

By 1964, the world was falling in love with Motown – and with Mary Wells. The label's records were making a splash on the British charts, and when The Beatles were asked who their favorite American singer was, they named Wells. In fact, the Lads from Liverpool so admired her music that they invited her to open for them on their U.K. tour. Wells agreed and crossed the pond, making her the first Motown star to perform in the United Kingdom. Later, Wells recorded a tribute album on which she sang some of her favorite Beatles songs.

In later years, Mary Wells and Motown went their separate ways. When Wells died, she hadn't been with the label for more than 25 years… but she'll always be remembered as the First Lady of Motown.

http://www.legacy.com/news/celebrity...lady-of-motown

Mary Wells was referred to as "The Queen of Motown" in and outside of Detroit as I recall.

Here's a CD titled "The Queen of Motown"

https://www.allmusic.com/album/the-q...n-mw0001430459

Claudette is the First Lady of Motown.

Miss Ray was the "Mother of Motown". All these titles are nice but not that important. They all contributed to Motown's success.

Uh, Claudette's the First Lady. That's not something she personally came up with, Berry did, if I'm not mistaken.

Mary was always known as The Queen of Motown during her tenure there.

Technically it would be right: the Miracles signed with Tamla in 1959 and was their first act [[Marv Johnson either came before or after the Miracles but they were right besides each other).

Mable John then joined Tamla afterwards so she would be the first female artist but she never got any success on Motown.
    Last edited by midnightman; 02-20-2018 at 02:09 PM.

They can all be First Lady's and Queens for different groups, different generations, different reasons. Heck, somebody probably wants to be the Queen of SD.

Imo Dr Martha Reeves is the First Lady of Motown Records.

jobeterob: there's enough queens on SDF.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    jobeterob: there's enough queens on SDF.
    No queens = No Diana Ross and the Supremes because we “queens” provided the loyalty and lovethat took the group into the stratosphere. Ross and Gordy need to thank us.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 02-20-2018 at 06:44 PM.

Circa you are too blunt and not dramatic enough for a Queen Queen

It just depends on what you want the title to represent; Queen, First Lady, Empress, Diva, more hits, first to sign, contributed more or longevity ?
    Personally, I love them all and thank them. Oh yeah and I forgot Queen of Soul, Queen of Pop, Queen of Rock and then Drag Queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    No queens = No Diana Ross and the Supremes because we “queens” provided the loyalty and lovethat took the group into the stratosphere. Ross and Gordy need to thank us.
    This is not about Diana Ross or the Supremes or Berry Gordy.

I just feel like some folks here just take things to extremes and you wonder why many Motown folks leave this board because they're not down with the cattiness trying to cheapen the legacy of this label and its artists.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    It just depends on what you want the title to represent; Queen, First Lady, Empress, Diva, more hits, first to sign, contributed more or longevity ?
    Personally, I love them all and thank them. Oh yeah and I forgot Queen of Soul, Queen of Pop, Queen of Rock and then Drag Queen.
    This.

Time's too short to get into debate anyway. Mary & Claudette both heavily contributed to what made Motown MOTOWN. Why can't people respect that??? Why get catty?

They are all[motown]royalty..nuff said!!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    I will drink to that !!!

And that's the final word on that. [sipping tea]

True and that’s how they all feel too

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Why get catty?
    LOLOLOL. I did a Danny Thomas spit-take on that one. You are aware this is Soulful Detroit, right?

Now let’s not forget...isn’t Gladys the Empress and certainly Brenda is the Princess!

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    LOLOLOL. I did a Danny Thomas spit-take on that one. You are aware this is Soulful Detroit, right?
    I know. Still, why get catty? LOL That's why Motowners left this joint lmao

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I know. Still, why get catty? LOL That's why Motowners left this joint lmao
    I truly think that is all some people have to look forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    I truly think that is all some people have to look forward to.
    Yeah I can tell lol

Some days you don't know if you're at a music forum or Lipstick Alley.

I think it's really great that various of these women at various times get to wear titles like Queens, Divas, First Ladies, Empresses.

And when they are in public, you hear them all speak very warmly of others - Claudette, Martha, Diana.

The only cat calling is from old fans with nothing better to do and I'm not sure how serious they really are about it.

And Thelma is certainly the Duchess of Disco!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    And Thelma is certainly the Duchess of Disco!
    Hey! I thought she was the Baroness of Bop? LOL!!!!

No no no... that is Syreeta! Come on Marv. Get your titles straight!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    No no no... that is Syreeta! Come on Marv. Get your titles straight!
    Oh ok, my bad. hehehehehehehehe!