[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross and The American Music Awards

we never saw the AMAs in my part of the world but I recently bought some Michael jackson awards footage and Diana pops up and I thought we could discuss her involvment with the show and hopefully I can learn a few facts..
    1976 - Tribute to Berry Gordy Diana filmed an interview from Rome that was transmitted in the show..has anyone seen it ? It must still exist in the Dick Clark vault as I have Micheal from the sam show honouring Gordy..
    ?? - I have a brief clip of Diana in purple/pink with feathers accecpting an Award does anyone know what year this was and what she won for ?
    1980- Diana attends with Michael and suzanne De Passe and wins for "diana" LP

...ok now was it 84 or 85 that she performed "Touch By Touch" ? I always thought it was strange they never released it as a US single was this the same year she did the Marvin Gaye Tribute ?
    I have footage of her with Kenny Rodgers and Barry Manilow in gold giving Micheal an award..I think thats 84..
    And then she sang Eaten Alive in 1986 and hosted ? but which year did she do Thats What friends are for at the end and which year was We Are The World? i get confused..
    Any other information about her apperances on the show would be apreciated..

nomis, I am pretty certain that Diana also performed "Chain Reaction" on the AMA's. If memory serves me right, she wore a glittery shorts jumpsuit and had several "hunky" backup dancers. This might have been 1985, the year [[I think) she hosted the show.
    Last edited by marybrewster; 02-04-2011 at 09:48 AM.

She hosted the AMA two years in a row! Many costume changes too. I believe the first year was the year she opened with
    Touch By Touch. Anyway, back in the 70s she hosted some other award shows, but I can't recall the name. Similar to
    AMA I think.

1974, LADY SINGS THE BLUES won Favorite Pop Album, and Diana accepted. I think she had on red, with feathers in her hair.

1975, presented the the Award Of Merit to Berry Gordy in Rome, as they were filming MAHOGANY.

1980, she won Favorite Soul Female, and I believe, Favorite Soul Single for UPSIDE DOWN. She attended with Michael Jackson.

1984, she helped present the Award Of Merit to Michael Jackson.

1985, she gave a tribute to deceased performers Count Basie, Marvin Gaye, Ernest Tubb, and Jackie Wilson, and showed the video of MISSING YOU.

1986, she hosted the awards, performed EATEN ALIVE, CHAIN REACTION, and WE ARE THE WORLD.

1987, she hosted the awards, performed TOUCH BY TOUCH, and a LADY SINGS THE BLUES medley. She also introduced the THAT'S WHAT FRIENDS ARE FOR finale.

2000, she gave a tribute to Martin Luther King.

2004, she presented an award to Usher.

There are probably some others that I'm forgetting.
    Last edited by reese; 02-04-2011 at 10:17 AM.

There was a music awards show in the '70s where she either hosted or presented and she kept referring to Natalie Cole
    as Natalie Wood. I kind of thought she was intentionally doing it. Either way it showed how little she cared for Cole;
    not personally, but professionally--being a new rival.

Maybe that was when she hosted the Rock Awards. I believe she did that one twice, once while pregnant with her last daughter.

reese, Rock Awards sounds like it as it was definitely in the '70s and Natalie Cole had had maybe two big hits at this
    point.

she did the Rock Awards with Elton John...

miss_lish Guest
    If Miss Ross was throwing shade at Natalie, this program is a MUST SEE! LOLOLOLOL! She was pregnant at the time in that gorgeous yellow gown. There are many photos of her, Elton, and Cher circulating on eBay. I wonder if their is a bootleg copy anywhere? I have never see one, and I'm pretty certain, I've seen everything that is out there. Mercy, this would be fun to see again!

olamaebarto Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    she did the Rock Awards with Elton John...
    Alice Cooper, if I recall.

miss_lish Guest
    I actually think she was the co-host for two years; one with Elton, one with Alice.

olamaebarto Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by miss_lish View Post
    I actually think she was the co-host for two years; one with Elton, one with Alice.
    Yeah, you're right. I remember the one w/ Miss Alice. My cousin was having her weddin' recpt and I kept sneeking away to watch the show.

It was during one of the Rock Awards shows that she was given the Billboard award for Female Entertainer Of The Century.

I think she hosted the Rock Music Awards with Elton John and Cher.

And she won 8 American Music Awards although I don't know what they were all for.

Diana wins:
    1974 Favorite Pop/Rock Album "Lady Sings the Blues"
    1981 Favorite Rhythm and Blues/Soul Female Artist
    1981 Favorite Rhythm and Blues/Soul Single, "Upside Down"
    1982 Favorite Pop/Rock Single, "Endless Love" [[with Lionel Richie)
    1982 Favorite R&B/Soul Single, "Endless Love" [[with Lionel Richie)
    1983 Favorite Rhythm and Blues/Soul Female Artist

Miss Lish - the Rock awards she hosted with Elton John was on you tube for a short time some years ago so the video tape definetly survives Ive never seen footage of the Alice Cooper one...I think thats funny she was saying Natalies name wrong..surely she wouldnt do that on purpose??? reminds me of the time she hosted the Tonight Show and kept saying Vanilla envelope...didnt she sing The Boss on that apperance? as well Ive seen a photo of her singing from that show...
    ..I dont think Cher hosted as well she was just present at the event and photographed with Ross and John backstage..I know Cher wanted her on her TV show but even though they were friends Diana turned the offer down..

I think the advertising for the tour says 8 AMA's; but she only won 6???

Miss Lish - the Rock awards she hosted with Elton John was on you tube for a short time some years ago so the video tape definetly survives Ive never seen footage of the Alice Cooper one...I think thats funny she was saying Natalies name wrong..surely she wouldnt do that on purpose??? reminds me of the time she hosted the Tonight Show and kept saying Vanilla envelope...didnt she sing The Boss on that apperance? as well Ive seen a photo of her singing from that show...
    ..I dont think Cher hosted as well she was just present at the event and photographed with Ross and John backstage..I know Cher wanted her on her TV show but even though they were friends Diana turned the offer down..
    I remember Cher being onstage when Diana received the Female Entertainer Of The Century award at one of the Rock Awards. She referred to Cher as her best friend. It has been so long though that I don't recall if Cher also hosted, or just hosted that segment.

I do remember the show with Alice Cooper. At one point, he and Diana were at the podium. All of a sudden, he went crazy, threw the podium to the floor, and sparks starting flying as Diana ran off stage. Then Alice performed.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    She might have eight. The ones I posted came from Wikipedia which isn't always accurate. But I posted them because I actually remembered seeing them myself.

She also won the award of merit in the 90's and maybe one for "we are the world".

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I remember Cher being onstage when Diana received the Female Entertainer Of The Century award at one of the Rock Awards. She referred to Cher as her best friend. It has been so long though that I don't recall if Cher also hosted, or just hosted that segment.

I do remember the show with Alice Cooper. At one point, he and Diana were at the podium. All of a sudden, he went crazy, threw the podium to the floor, and sparks starting flying as Diana ran off stage. Then Alice performed.
    Diana Ross seems an odd choice to host a "Rock" music awards show.

miss_lish Guest
    Odd inasmuch she was at the time the biggest star in the universe, and if one tried really, really hard, the argument could be made that she was a rock star. It was about the ratings, my darling.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    She also won the award of merit in the 90's and maybe one for "we are the world".
    I think WE ARE THE WORLD might have won a special citation because of its charitable purpose, similar to the award given to THAT'S WHAT FRIENDS ARE FOR.

Unfortunately, Diana has not won the Award Of Merit. Relatively few women have over the years. And the only African-American female honorees were Ella Fitzgerald, Whitney Houston, Janet Jackson, and I think, Mariah Carey.

Will Smith presented it. It was the early to mid 90's. Maybe my I'm mixing up things. I remember something where they talked about her hosting/appearances and they showed her in several costumes. But I recall it being some merit kind of award. Anyone remember?
    Last edited by skooldem1; 02-05-2011 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Will Smith presented it. It was the early to mid 90's. Maybe my I'm mixing up things. I remember something where they talked about her hosting/appearances and they showed her in several costumes. But I recall it being some merit kind of award. Anyone remember?
    I remember something like this on one of the AMA anniversary year shows. They named her the Best And Most Dressed Star of the AMAs. But it wasn't a real award. It was just one of their retrospective montages.

Will Smith gave the award in 93 but she wasnt present at the show - they dipped into the vaults and showed the comedy sketch from Diana! Central park an early solo concert clip of her doing reach out and touch..a brief clip of Touch By Touch and her recieving the award for Lady Sings it was an exellent montage from the Dick Clark vault..

Will Smith gave the award in 93 but she wasnt present at the show - they dipped into the vaults and showed the comedy sketch from Diana! Central park an early solo concert clip of her doing reach out and touch..a brief clip of Touch By Touch and her recieving the award for Lady Sings it was an exellent montage from the Dick Clark vault..
    Yes. It was a brief tribute to her 30 years in music, not long after the release of the box set.

Ok. Thats it. I knew there was something. What award was that?

They didnt actually give her an award if memory serves me right..just saluted her achievements

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post

Are YOU not sure!!!!

These are the ones I remember;

category Favorite Pop/Rock Album for "Lady Sings the Blues"
    category Favorite Soul/R&B Female Artist
    category Favorite Soul/R&B Single for "Upside Down"
    category Favorite Pop/Rock Single for "Endless Love"
    category Favorite Soul/R&B Single for "Endless Love"

That is seven and I am sure I am missing one ........maybe "Touch M In The Morning won one.

AMA's was nice attempt by Dick Clark to compete with the more respected Grammy Awards. How many Grammies did she win?

I saw that Touch Me in the Morning won pop/rock album but I don't think that was accurate. Maybe she only won 7.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    AMA's was nice attempt by Dick Clark to compete with the more respected Grammy Awards. How many Grammies did she win?
    Maybe two Honorary Grammies as a Supreme but we are discussing American Music Awards so why did you get it twisted ?