[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross Project: Extended Review An Evening with DR

I saw the show at NYC's Palace Theater; it was every bit as extraordinary as this review says.

I saw the show at the Music Hall in Boston, in February of 1977. The top ticket was $15, which to a 10-year old like myself, was a fortune. My mother and I had to settle for the $7.50 balcony seats, but it was still great. It was the first pop concert I ever attended and I thought it was the most fantastic thing I'd ever seen, until I saw her Tour '79.

been a long time since I saw this tv special. I loved when Diana did the part where she became all the ladies such as Bessie smith.
    when I listen to the album I just cant get into all the medleys and broadway songs. even Touch Me In The Morning is only 2 minutes long.
    Love Hangover is pre recorded .....just not for me. I prefer her 1979 concert tour where she sings her hits

Looking back, this seems like a very ambitious project. Does anyone do such things today?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Looking back, this seems like a very ambitious project. Does anyone do such things today?
    Maybe someone like Streisand. Whenever I've seen her, the concert was more than just her hits, many of which she might not even perform. It was an event. And of course, she doesn't tour regularly.

Some of the younger girls like Janet and Beyonce put on elaborate shows as well. But the shows of theirs I've seen still seem to be hits more than "special material."
    Last edited by reese; 02-19-2018 at 02:28 PM.

I saw the second act of this show at the Palace Theatre in NYC. A few of us drove up from Maryland to try and get tickets. Only one of us got in. We other two stood outside the theatre and heard the first act from outside. It sounded fantastic - annd yes, it was that loud. We then second acted the show [[wandering in with the audience after intermission), and stood in the back. Just loved the show. It was quite ambitious, and Joe Layton was a seasoned Broadway director/choreographer. His work with Diana was wonderful. I didn't really understand why she did the whole A Chorus Line segment, though. The audience loved the show, yelling and shouting and clapping throughout. A very electric night in the theatre.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I saw the second act of this show at the Palace Theatre in NYC. A few of us drove up from Maryland to try and get tickets. Only one of us got in. We other two stood outside the theatre and heard the first act from outside. It sounded fantastic - annd yes, it was that loud. We then second acted the show [[wandering in with the audience after intermission), and stood in the back. Just loved the show. It was quite ambitious, and Joe Layton was a seasoned Broadway director/choreographer. His work with Diana was wonderful. I didn't really understand why she did the whole A Chorus Line segment, though. The audience loved the show, yelling and shouting and clapping throughout. A very electric night in the theatre.
    When I was a kid, I had no idea the second act had songs from A CHORUS LINE or quotes from Lorraine Hansberry. I thought she was telling stories about her own experiences. Now I look at the second act, and the whole show for that matter, as a great example of the work that Diana and Joe obviously put into it. I only wish someone would take the Japanese tv special, put it back in its proper order, and release it on dvd, especially since she never did anything quite like it again.

I didn't know it was A Chorus Line either.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    When I was a kid, I had no idea the second act had songs from A CHORUS LINE or quotes from Lorraine Hansberry. I thought she was telling stories about her own experiences. Now I look at the second act, and the whole show for that matter, as a great example of the work that Diana and Joe obviously put into it. I only wish someone would take the Japanese tv special, put it back in its proper order, and release it on dvd, especially since she never did anything quite like it again.
    I, for one, JUST picked up a couple of weeks ago on the fact that the pianist is playing Nina Simone’s “Young, Gifted and Black” softly under the Hansberry segment. Thank goodness for mp3s and a good set of earbuds!