[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: The Lollipops

The Lollipops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe4Wn6RRLgg&app=desktop
    Does anyone know anything about this group?

Yes. I'll add my two cents here and not be too long. I like to call them the Detroit Lollipops since there were quite a few groups with that name. This was a girl group originally signed by the legendary Harry Balk. When he sold his Impact label to Berry Gordy and joined Motown in 1968,they were among the artists in which B.G. had some interest. They only released one single on Impact, "Loving Good Feeling" in 1967 and "Cheating Is Telling On You" for Motown. They were produced by the criminally underrated Duke Browner and only recorded about 8 tracks at Motown. Most of these have surfaced between Cellarful Of Motown and Ace/Kent's Motown Girls compilations. Great track and a great find for you if you've just discovered it.

Here a little something extra:
    1. Cheating Is Telling On You 1969
    2.Need Your Love 1969
    3.Just Look What You Done Boy 1969
    4.Sweet Sweet Love 1969
    5.Go For Yourself 1969
    6.In The Summer 1970
    7.There Was 1969-1970[[Due to be included on Ace/Kent's "Baby I've Got It" collection in March).
    So that'll nearly empty the vaults with maybe two tracks remaining if they're even complete. Hope this helped in some way.
    Last edited by Quinn; 02-17-2018 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    Here a little something extra:
    1. Cheating Is Telling On You 1969
    2.Need Your Love 1969
    3.Just Look What You Done Boy 1969
    4.Sweet Sweet Love 1969
    5.Go For Yourself 1969
    6.In The Summer 1970
    Then there's a track that made the upcoming Ace/Kent "Baby I've Got It" collection. That'll be out at the end of March[[check that thread). So that'll nearly empty the vaults with maybe two tracks remaining if they're even complete. Hope this helped in some way.
    Thank you very much, Quinn. I thought they had some Motown connection, but, very little is out there on them. Too bad they didn't release an LP back in the day. I like their sound. Pretty obscure group. I can't find any pics of them, either. Thanks again.
    Last edited by lakeside; 02-17-2018 at 10:25 PM.

After a little searching, found this. Not sure if it's the right group?

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post

After a little searching, found this. Not sure if it's the right group?
    Yes,you have the right group of Lollipops!!!.That's actually a publicity shot taken during their time at Impact records around 1967.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe4Wn6RRLgg&app=desktop
    Does anyone know anything about this group?
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1938
Size:  21.1 KB
    They were a local, Detroit group "discovered" and signed by Harry Balk. Their lead singer was Arenita Walker [[who, I believe, also had a brief acting career). She also helped write some of their songs. I never saw the names of the other 3 members. Yes, that photo is of Detroit's Lollipops, rather than the New York group that recorded for RCA, which were confused with The Detroit group, because they sang a Jobete Music song [[they got through Jobete's New York office, in 1964).

I discovered a few of their unreleased Motown cuts in The Motown Vaults during the late 1970s, which were sold on acetate to bidders in The UK, and bootlegged, and later were released on legitimate Motown CD series. I saw 6 unreleased cuts, in addition to the 2 VIP released cuts.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kDMG1xx_WEg

The excellent "Loving Good Feeling"

Oh wow, I didn’t know there was a picture of this group. I assumed they were too rare!! Thanks for the info Quinn & robb, and for the pic lakeside

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1938
Size:  21.1 KB
    They were a local, Detroit group "discovered" and signed by Harry Balk. Their lead singer was Arenita Walker [[who, I believe, also had a brief acting career). She also helped write some of their songs.
    I think Arenita Walker gets confused with Arnetia Walker, who was a singer/actress that pretty well on stage. She toured in the Debbie Allen role in the musical Raisin, was an understudy on Broadway in The Wiz and played the lead on a tour [[I believe). She also came back to Broadway as Lorrel in the Broadway revival of Dreamgirls. She also has had a great TV career, her first big series being Nurses [[created by Susan Harris of Golden Girls & Soap fame) back in the early 1990's. But Arnetia was too young to have been a Lollipop.

"Sweet Sweet Love"

Wink

It's too bad nobody seems to know the names of the other girls in this group; I'm in
    love with their sound. Type The Lollipops into google and you get referred to other groups
    with the same name, first the boy band. I think Arentia is the chick on the far left. That
    girl on the far right's legs.....excuse me.....

I could be wrong but I think two of the members besides Arenita Walker were Arenita's sister Joyce, and Angela Allen.

"Go For Yourself"

Here is another photo of The Lollipops [[as a threesome)....
    Attachment 13982

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I think Arenita Walker gets confused with Arnetia Walker, who was a singer/actress that pretty well on stage. She toured in the Debbie Allen role in the musical Raisin, was an understudy on Broadway in The Wiz and played the lead on a tour [[I believe). She also came back to Broadway as Lorrel in the Broadway revival of Dreamgirls. She also has had a great TV career, her first big series being Nurses [[created by Susan Harris of Golden Girls & Soap fame) back in the early 1990's. But Arnetia was too young to have been a Lollipop.

You must be right. I didn't see her as an actress. I only read that she was, on an old SDF thread from 2002, with several of us talking about Harry Balk productions, in which a few posters told us that Arenita was later an actress. But she would have had to be in her late 40s in the early 1990s. So, they must have mixed up the two walkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    Yes,you have the right group of Lollipops!!!.That's actually a publicity shot taken during their time at Impact records around 1967.
    Your wrong I'm afraid, there never was a group photo of the Lollipops [[Impact/VIP) taken

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Here is another photo of The Lollipops [[as a threesome)....
    Attachment 13982
    Again this is not the Lollipops in question [[IMPACT/VIP)