[REMOVE ADS]

Bonnie Pointer - When I'm Gone

Not as great as Brenda's but close enough [[due to the backgrounds Bonnie did by herself and that sweet piano riff at the end mimicking the 1965 Brenda tune):

Last edited by midnightman; 02-16-2018 at 08:53 PM.

That's nice. I bought that album when it came out in 1978. What I want to find without having to go dig through storage is Bonnie's "Deep Inside My Soul" from her 1979-80 album. To me that song was her at her very, very best.

Brenda wins by a mile. Her voice much more textured and arrangement fuller.

I love the whole LP, James Jamerson and Eddie Hazel play on "When I'm Gone" and on most of the songs.

Her cover of "Heaven Must Have Sent You" is pretty good, too :

I thought that was the Jamerson bass.

OK I'm a little late here but this is relevant to something I've been wondering about for a long time - was the instrumental track on Brenda Holloway's "When I'm Gone" recorded in Detroit with the Funk Bros., i. e. Jamerson on bass? Is it the same track as the version recorded by Mary Wells just before she left Motown? In all the controversies about who played on what it is usually said "Brenda Holloway only recorded on the West Coast" but this sounds like an exception, really sounds like Jamerson, with Holloway's vocals overdubbed over Wells'.

Doubt it. Every instrument was recorded in the year Bonnie did her version.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Doubt it. Every instrument was recorded in the year Bonnie did her version.
    I was not clear, I was referring to the version released in 1965 [[or 1964?) by Brenda.

Quote Originally Posted by garyr View Post
    OK I'm a little late here but this is relevant to something I've been wondering about for a long time - was the instrumental track on Brenda Holloway's "When I'm Gone" recorded in Detroit with the Funk Bros., i. e. Jamerson on bass? Is it the same track as the version recorded by Mary Wells just before she left Motown? In all the controversies about who played on what it is usually said "Brenda Holloway only recorded on the West Coast" but this sounds like an exception, really sounds like Jamerson, with Holloway's vocals overdubbed over Wells'.
    I think Brenda's vocals were overdubbed onto the same track that was done for Mary Wells.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I think Brenda's vocals were overdubbed onto the same track that was done for Mary Wells.
    That's what it sounds like to me.

Don't Forget the Motor City gives a clear answer to this.

Mary's was the first one recorded in 1964.

Brenda's in 1965 was slightly overdubbed since the Andantes' vocals on Brenda's is slightly different from Mary's. Plus it's slightly pitched.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Plus it's slightly pitched.
    That's the minor difference I was hearing.