[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1

    Remaining Four Tops and Temptations material

    Hope more Four Tops and Temptations are found. There's still the Tops 1884 See Richards sessions. Only SOLDIER OF LOVE has been released on CELLARFUL OF MOTOWN volume 3. Plus another version of OLD LOVE ( LET'S TRY IT AGAIN). The Tops first did it in 65 with the Vandellas track.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Fourtopsbiggestfan View Post
    Hope more Four Tops and Temptations are found. There's still the Tops 1884 See Richards sessions. Only SOLDIER OF LOVE has been released on CELLARFUL OF MOTOWN volume 3. Plus another version of OLD LOVE ( LET'S TRY IT AGAIN). The Tops first did it in 65 with the Vandellas track.
    They have to have a substantial amount of material still unreleased by both groups. To my knowledge they have not give any of their albums the "deluxe treatment".

  3. #3
    I have the original single CD of temptations lost and found and the double hip o selected four tops CD but haven't played them for a while. It might be time to revisit some of these titles I for one would love some unreleased Levi or David Ruffin vocals !!!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by dickiemint View Post
    I have the original single CD of temptations lost and found and the double hip o selected four tops CD but haven't played them for a while. It might be time to revisit some of these titles I for one would love some unreleased Levi or David Ruffin vocals !!!
    Me too. The Tops lost without you says David and Jimmy put vocals on WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE. And David on DEEP IN THE PIT OF YOUR LOVE. Wonder if The Fantastic 4 put vocals on WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE and WHICH WAY IS THE SKY.

  5. #5
    I noticed there hasnít been much unreleased Temptations tracks from the post-Ruffin era. I will assume weíll start seeing those on Motown Unreleased 68 and beyond.

  6. #6
    Have you heard this? I heard it for the first time today and I think it is really good:


  7. #7
    Ollie Ali Woodson sings it first then keep listening and Levi Stubbs sings the same song directly following.
    Last edited by marv2; 02-13-2018 at 10:51 PM.

  8. #8
    What about the Temptations version of Ivy Jo Hunter's I CAN FEEL THE PAIN. That's definitely one more thing to look forward. Still in the vaults. Didn't get discovered in time for UNRELEASED 1967.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Fourtopsbiggestfan View Post
    What about the Temptations version of Ivy Jo Hunter's I CAN FEEL THE PAIN. That's definitely one more thing to look forward. Still in the vaults. Didn't get discovered in time for UNRELEASED 1967.
    I will check it out. Thanks.

  10. #10
    Otis mentioned in his book something about the temps not recording as much excessive material as other Motown groups. can't remember exactly how he explains it - maybe it was they were a bit more collaborative with the producers so that they would pick and choose what they recorded rather than just sing endless songs in the studio. not sure. but that could be why there's limited material on them to do expanded albums

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    Otis mentioned in his book something about the temps not recording as much excessive material as other Motown groups. can't remember exactly how he explains it - maybe it was they were a bit more collaborative with the producers so that they would pick and choose what they recorded rather than just sing endless songs in the studio. not sure. but that could be why there's limited material on them to do expanded albums
    I know that was the practice at Philly International, but at Motown, I have read that Berry Gordy liked recording and then shelving material on his artists for potential future releases whether they went to another label or not.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I know that was the practice at Philly International, but at Motown, I have read that Berry Gordy liked recording and then shelving material on his artists for potential future releases whether they went to another label or not.
    i'll have to dig out his book. and you're right - berry wanted everyone to experiment. Otis acknowledges this but makes some comment about how the temps were different. will have to find it again

    and it might mean that there are just dozens of outtakes and unreleased tracks versus hundreds lol

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i'll have to dig out his book. and you're right - berry wanted everyone to experiment. Otis acknowledges this but makes some comment about how the temps were different. will have to find it again

    and it might mean that there are just dozens of outtakes and unreleased tracks versus hundreds lol
    Otis may be patting his group a little on the back. In other words giving the impression that they were so good, so professional that they nailed many of their songs in one or two takes. Still that does not say anything about songs they may have been asked to experiment with or just record for consideration of inclusion in their albums. I remember Eddie saying that Motown did not have to do a lot to groom them like they did others. From the beginning they were dressing themselves (choosing their own stage attire) and Paul Williams was the one to devise their early choreography. So, hmmmmm........LOL!!!

  14. #14
    Marv: an original Temptations before David Ruffin question.

    Now I know Eddie Kendricks was the tenor lead.
    But I have seen in print some differing statements about the baritone leads.

    Was it Paul Williams or Eldbridge Bryant ?
    mainly or did they split the leads
    edafan

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by edafan View Post
    Marv: an original Temptations before David Ruffin question.

    Now I know Eddie Kendricks was the tenor lead.
    But I have seen in print some differing statements about the baritone leads.

    Was it Paul Williams or Eldbridge Bryant ?
    mainly or did they split the leads
    edafan
    Amazing! Edafan, I just had an argument with my brother two days ago about this. I explained to him it was Paul Williams and Eddie Kendricks as the principle lead singers before Ruffin replaced Al Bryant. He claimed that Al was the lead singer that David Ruffin replaced based on what he saw in the highly inaccurate "Temptations" movie. Al may have sang a lead here and there, but he was not a Temptations lead singer. Paul sang way more leads that Eldbridge Bryant. Eddie Kendricks perhaps sang a little more leads than Paul at the time. Otis and Melvin were mostly on background harmonies.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Amazing! Edafan, I just had an argument with my brother two days ago about this. I explained to him it was Paul Williams and Eddie Kendricks as the principle lead singers before Ruffin replaced Al Bryant. He claimed that Al was the lead singer that David Ruffin replaced based on what he saw in the highly inaccurate "Temptations" movie. Al may have sang a lead here and there, but he was not a Temptations lead singer. Paul sang way more leads that Eldbridge Bryant. Eddie Kendricks perhaps sang a little more leads than Paul at the time. Otis and Melvin were mostly on background harmonies.
    From Otis' book page 61

    "Even though most leads on these early releases were split between Eddie and Paul, there was no rivalry between them"


    I had read somewhere that E Bryant was their ealy lead singer, and it is wrong.

    edafan

  17. #17
    One of Dennisís obituaries stated that Al Bryant was the original lead singer in the Temptations prior to David joining them. Iíd think even fair weather fans would know thatís not true!

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    One of Dennis’s obituaries stated that Al Bryant was the original lead singer in the Temptations prior to David joining them. I’d think even fair weather fans would know that’s not true!
    I think that is where I read the error.

    edafan

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by edafan View Post
    From Otis' book page 61

    "Even though most leads on these early releases were split between Eddie and Paul, there was no rivalry between them"


    I had read somewhere that E Bryant was their ealy lead singer, and it is wrong.

    edafan
    Al wasn't a bad singer, he just had bad temper and drank a lot. His sound was non-memorable at best. People that write about them that were not around during that time just assumed that because he was replaced in the group by David Ruffin that Al must have been their lead singer.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    One of Dennis’s obituaries stated that Al Bryant was the original lead singer in the Temptations prior to David joining them. I’d think even fair weather fans would know that’s not true!
    Exactly Jboy88. I was just posting that before I read your comment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.