[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Anyone who's heard the bootleg knows the vocals are a little hoarse. We know Diana had a cold. But after we did the new mix they came out much better than I expected. For a few that have heard snippets they really couldn't tell a difference in vocals from other live shows. Overall sound is really good and it's nice to finally have a clean stereo mix of this show.

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    Anyone who's heard the bootleg knows the vocals are a little hoarse. We know Diana had a cold. But after we did the new mix they came out much better than I expected. For a few that have heard snippets they really couldn't tell a difference in vocals from other live shows. Overall sound is really good and it's nice to finally have a clean stereo mix of this show.
    Thank you George. Very much appreciated.

that's great!! the bootlegs I've had and heard are both a little hoarse and a bit high, not quite like playing a 33 on the 45 RPM setting but sort of like that. makes Diana sound even more like Minnie mouse lol

I'd forgotten about My Fav Things!! with the MJC lineup, I remember hearing a story from Randy that at one of their later Frontier performances they were testing out Day By Day from Godspell but that it wasn't really working. don't know what wasn't working - arrangement, audience reception or what.

With Talk of Town I know they cut Unchained melody from the opening medley and then some of the comedy routine from You're Nobody. are there other songs that were cut? guessing they did Queen but didn't include on lp.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    that's great!! the bootlegs I've had and heard are both a little hoarse and a bit high, not quite like playing a 33 on the 45 RPM setting but sort of like that. makes Diana sound even more like Minnie mouse lol

I'd forgotten about My Fav Things!! with the MJC lineup, I remember hearing a story from Randy that at one of their later Frontier performances they were testing out Day By Day from Godspell but that it wasn't really working. don't know what wasn't working - arrangement, audience reception or what.

With Talk of Town I know they cut Unchained melody from the opening medley and then some of the comedy routine from You're Nobody. are there other songs that were cut? guessing they did Queen but didn't include on lp.
    Yes, Queen, Somewhere And Sam Cooke Medley.
    One correction to my above comment. When I say "we" did a new mix I mean when KEVIN REEVES did a new mix. He works really hard to make everything sound the best it can.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post

They did "Queen of the House" all the way up to the last performance at the Farewell Concert at the Frontier, along with "Hey Big Spender".

"Day By Day" was performed at that Frontier show. I would love to know what else they performed in that engagement.

Didn't Mary do "I Keep It Hid" for a brief time before it was taken out due to poor reception?

I like the Talk Of The Town show best even though it seems rushed and songs such as Love Is Here shortened by a verse,...and others as well
    whose idea was it to have them speed up the songs and cut verses out

The whole "People" saga is funny to me and I think it might have been discussed before. I've never seen this number as the Florence show stopper so many claimed it to be. It was a group number in which they all sang together with Florence on melody. From the very beginning Diana took that part close to the end "with one person ..." and later it became Mary's solo as well [[as we heard at the Roostertail and in the Orient). To me that was the most featured spot in the number. Gil told me the number was in and out quite a bit when FLORENCE requested they take it out whenever she wasn't feeling up to it. It seems that it was dropped for good in 1967. I loved Florence and wish she had sung more. It would have been great if she had "Ain't That Good News" in the Sam Cooke medley. I think others might see this differently and many people can tell a different story. It seems they were hesitant to give her too much not knowing how much they could rely on her. I am not blaming her for this but Gil said she was "under the weather" more than Mary and Diana and I think that isn't news to anyone. In my opinion "People" wasn't a great addition to the act. I found the harmony and arrangement a bit clumsy. And remember "People" and "I Am Woman" were in the act even before they got their new show for the Copa in 65. I can understand why they'd retire it. They also lost other numbers from the 65 Copa show along the way. I apologize if I veered off the original topic. I was enjoying this discussion of their live shows.
    thanks George for clarifying this and being the voice of reason. i'll just say some like to keep the drama going

Speaking of the "sweet soft ballad from "West Side Story".....

I think there's evidence that three songs were used with this as the introduction: "Back in My Arms Again", "The Happening", and "You Keep Me Hanging On". Do we know if there were any others? And just for fun, do you suppose Diana knew from show to show what Gil would be playing? Maybe some nights it would be one; other nights it would be another?

Lastly, was "Back in My Arms Again" ever performed again after the Hollywood Bowl? I'd imagine it was cut very shortly after but how long after is the question.

And speaking of, for those that have heard that HB performance, do you think "Back" was performed by mistake? Like, no one thought to take it out with Flo not being there? Diana of course mentions "Mary" but I can't decide if her "oh no" instead of "Flo" was scripted, or off the cuff in the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    "Day By Day" was performed at that Frontier show. I would love to know what else they performed in that engagement.

Didn't Mary do "I Keep It Hid" for a brief time before it was taken out due to poor reception?

wow - hadn't heard that. too bad if it was removed. that's one of my biggest complaints [[especially about the 70s lineups). that they didn't do enough of their lp material

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Speaking of the "sweet soft ballad from "West Side Story".....

I think there's evidence that three songs were used with this as the introduction: "Back in My Arms Again", "The Happening", and "You Keep Me Hanging On". Do we know if there were any others? And just for fun, do you suppose Diana knew from show to show what Gil would be playing? Maybe some nights it would be one; other nights it would be another?

Lastly, was "Back in My Arms Again" ever performed again after the Hollywood Bowl? I'd imagine it was cut very shortly after but how long after is the question.

And speaking of, for those that have heard that HB performance, do you think "Back" was performed by mistake? Like, no one thought to take it out with Flo not being there? Diana of course mentions "Mary" but I can't decide if her "oh no" instead of "Flo" was scripted, or off the cuff in the moment.
    wasn't the decision made to use Cindy for HB only a day or two prior? from what I remember it was a pretty quick decision and therefore might not have been enough time to swap out the songs. The Happening was the latest single and so it would have had more of a prominent place rather than the "sweet West Side Story ballad." I don't think they ever did YCHL in this spot as the intro isn't loud or big enough.

I do think the HB show is a pretty good one [[of course fast forward through Berry's speech and all the talking lol). Cindy is quite prominent in the backgrounds which is a nice change from the other DRATS live performances. also a good song lineup

The whole "People" saga is funny to me and I think it might have been discussed before. I've never seen this number as the Florence show stopper so many claimed it to be. It was a group number in which they all sang together with Florence on melody. From the very beginning Diana took that part close to the end "with one person ..." and later it became Mary's solo as well [[as we heard at the Roostertail and in the Orient). To me that was the most featured spot in the number. Gil told me the number was in and out quite a bit when FLORENCE requested they take it out whenever she wasn't feeling up to it. It seems that it was dropped for good in 1967. I loved Florence and wish she had sung more. It would have been great if she had "Ain't That Good News" in the Sam Cooke medley. I think others might see this differently and many people can tell a different story. It seems they were hesitant to give her too much not knowing how much they could rely on her. I am not blaming her for this but Gil said she was "under the weather" more than Mary and Diana and I think that isn't news to anyone. In my opinion "People" wasn't a great addition to the act. I found the harmony and arrangement a bit clumsy. And remember "People" and "I Am Woman" were in the act even before they got their new show for the Copa in 65. I can understand why they'd retire it. They also lost other numbers from the 65 Copa show along the way. I apologize if I veered off the original topic. I was enjoying this discussion of their live shows.
    Okay, that is interesting info. And it's interesting Gil told you that. Definitely makes that People "change" more of a myth than anything. The Supremes never did sing "People" again after Flo left so that definitely confirms Gil's story that Flo told them to retire it. Only reason why folks believe it was shipped from Flo to Diana is because the group themselves re-recorded it for the "Funny Girl" album.

And also like was mentioned, the clip of Mary singing Diana's part in "People" when they did their Orient tour is key that the song was never switched over to Diana [[because if the timeline was correct, Motown would've gave Diana the FULL song by the time they were at the Orient; and besides from one studio recording, she never did sing it live by herself).

Which is funny because Motown wanted to make Diana their Barbra Streisand and she didn't even care to sing that song [[or any of Barbra's songs) lmao

So much for that "story".
    Last edited by midnightman; 02-15-2018 at 11:55 AM.

People and I Am Woman came into the act before the Dick Clark tour in the summer of '64. It's said it was Flo's idea to incorporate them and have her and Diana split the lead. In turn Diana ended up pushing for Mary to take that spot in the song in '66. I'm assuming the song was dropped when Flo came back into the group briefly before being permanently fired since at that point her fate was up in the air.

I gotta agree with you ranran I much prefer "People" over "Somewhere". Even the recorded version that everyone whines about being too long. That line Flo does at the end "people who need people" after Diana's spot, is probably my favorite Flo moment.

Between the time I saw them in late August 1966 and early March 1967 the number was dropped. I don't know the exact chronology of when Flo was suspended and then reinstated on probation, but I believe that might have been after March of that year.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    People and I Am Woman came into the act before the Dick Clark tour in the summer of '64. It's said it was Flo's idea to incorporate them and have her and Diana split the lead. In turn Diana ended up pushing for Mary to take that spot in the song in '66. I'm assuming the song was dropped when Flo came back into the group briefly before being permanently fired since at that point her fate was up in the air.

I gotta agree with you ranran I much prefer "People" over "Somewhere". Even the recorded version that everyone whines about being too long. That line Flo does at the end "people who need people" after Diana's spot, is probably my favorite Flo moment.
    many of the productions on There's A Place For Us are subpar IMO. but that was an early attempt to produce this type of music on the Sups and so it's a bit of trial and error. The horn intro on Put On Happy Face are way too prominent and shrill. Both People and Somewhere are way too slow - like a death dirge. I also think some of the Symphony tracks are weaker too. It was obvious by the time of R&H and Broadway to Hollywood that the production teams had really grown and their sound was so much better

I have to disagree though about People vs Somewhere. if I had to vote on one, I'd pick Somewhere. I just like the song better. I do think that it would have been better to split up the bridge and give one full line to mary solo [[We'll find a new way of living) and then Flo do "We'll find a ..." then the trio back on Somewhere.

I think a lot of their non hits would have benefited from more group interaction, especially the live numbers.

I never really cared for the original Supremes' attempts at standards. They weren't as good with it as, say, Marvin.

I think over time Diana got better at standards POST-Supremes than when she was with them.

Like mentioned, I wished Flo had done Good News live. I loved their version of Shake but imagine Good News live.

i do like the version of People , thought the harmony was great . to bad this Orient show is not on dvd.....geez.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I never really cared for the original Supremes' attempts at standards. They weren't as good with it as, say, Marvin.

I think over time Diana got better at standards POST-Supremes than when she was with them.

Like mentioned, I wished Flo had done Good News live. I loved their version of Shake but imagine Good News live.
    oh I disagree - although there absolutely are some stars and stinkers in their standards work. Diana had a theatricality in her voice and styling that was perfect for this work. and I think has more range. listening to her work on Sings Rodgers & Hart demonstrates this perfectly. from My Funny Valentine to Mountain Greenery to Little Girl Blue. And even some of their earlier work is quite fine. although some of the tracks are less desirable, much of CW&P holds up. Funny How Time Slips Away is great. both this and the Sam Cooke set are great but they don't show their range as much. especially with Sam. it was a rush job [[although the results are still nice). but if they'd taken a bit more time with it and allowed her to experiment more with her vocal stylings, it would have been marvelous.

Marvin was more of a romantic crooner. I don't think he can pull off the showtune comedy as well. a romantic ballad - wonderful. Imagine Marvin trying to do mame? or second hand rose? I realize those might be more "girls" songs but still

I guess I have to hear more. I DO love their version of "Somewhere" though!

I thought the original group did the standards the best. Their harmony and blend was absolutely amazing. I really wish we could have heard the original group perform that fats waller medley, that would have been phenomenal. [[Although I can see poor Flo having a hard time keeping up with all that choreography for the number lol)

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I thought the original group did the standards the best. Their harmony and blend was absolutely amazing. I really wish we could have heard the original group perform that fats waller medley, that would have been phenomenal. [[Although I can see poor Flo having a hard time keeping up with all that choreography for the number lol)
    Flo struggled throughout her stint with the group. She did not have what it took to be part of a very very hard-working superstar act. That is why she was replaced. Ms. Birdsong proved very successful in handling the big job of superstar demands and expectations.

Flo also had nowhere near the voice of Jennifer Holliday or Jennifer Hudson. That is what made Dreamgirls truly fictional.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 02-15-2018 at 09:13 PM.

Not to mention Florence was probably bipolar. That means she had mood swings a lot of times so Mary and Diana [[and Berry) didn't know which Flo would show up. Even Mary and her cousin admitted that whatever happened to Flo being ousted from the Supremes was all on her. I love Flo to death but let's call it what it is.

And this thread wasn't even about Flo.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Not to mention Florence was probably bipolar. That means she had mood swings a lot of times so Mary and Diana [[and Berry) didn't know which Flo would show up. Even Mary and her cousin admitted that whatever happened to Flo being ousted from the Supremes was all on her. I love Flo to death but let's call it what it is.

And this thread wasn't even about Flo.
    Yeah that's what they said............in front of the cameras. This is closer to the truth:

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yeah that's what they said............in front of the cameras. This is closer to the truth:

Marv who is this lady. Is this you??? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Marv who is this lady. Is this you??? Lol
    She gives the same spin and "alternative facts" as him. Hehehehehehehehe

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    She gives the same spin and "alternative facts" as him. Hehehehehehehehe
    So true Roberta. This is so funny it makes me laugh!!

thinking out loud
    think it was strange that Talk Of The Town was released in 8-68
    and TCB 12-68, with almost the same Supremes songs on it. I would think for TCB they would have done something new / updated.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    So true Roberta. This is so funny it makes me laugh!!
    Id be embarrassed to post the insane ramblings of that woman in the video. Shes about as honest and factual as the person who shared her off video. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    thinking out loud
    and TCB 12-68, with almost the same Supremes songs on it. I would think for TCB they would have done something new / updated.
    Okay, that is interesting. I wonder if Motown had pushed them too far that they couldn't change the set list and try something new?

thinking out loud
    Let me ask what were you expecting for them to do differently

thinking out loud
    I don't think the Supremes' act changed all that much during the 60s. Besides the hits, it seems as if songs like QUEEN OF THE HOUSE, SOMEWHERE, and YOU'RE NOBODY 'TIL SOMEBODY LOVES YOU remained in the act for years.

Considering that TCB was basicially a concert special, it is not surprising that they used what they already had. But they did do a few new things, the medley with the Tempts for one. Diana's AFRO VOGUE was another new addition, and they also performed WHEN THE LOVELIGHT STARTS SHINING THROUGH HIS EYES as well, even though it was cut from the show.

Diana's Afro Vogue...

Can I just say that that was one of the greatest TV performances of all time?!

I need to look at that performance again.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Let me ask what were you expecting for them to do differently
    with the new FUNNY GIRL lp I would think they would have used the medley that was cut, or even songs from REFLECTIONS lp.......LOVE CHILD was a hit by the time it was aired.

Problem is the special was taped in August. So Love Child Cloud 9 and I’m Gonna Make You Love Me hadn’t been released.

This was a period where Motown was flooding the market w Sups material. Talk of Town, Funny Girl, Love Child, TCB and Join the Temptations were all released within a four month period. Frankly it was too many and none of them were “masterpieces.” Of course as a devoted fan I love them but I think ultimately this hurt their musical legacy a bit. Too many people tend to overlook these groups due to the labels tendency to just focus on making money.

Yeah, Motown was in panic mode in 1967-68 if I recall.

After HDH left, the Supremes and Four Tops had to settle for songs by lesser known writers and did covers.

That just left an opening for the Temptations to get a chunk of the fan bases of both groups, which I imagine is one reason why Motown had the Supremes doing projects with the Temptations [[besides the fact Motown wanted the Tempts to get a bigger white base) because the Supremes without HDH were suffering a little while the Tempts were getting hotter.