[REMOVE ADS]

Supremes “white bread”

If looking at this from the POV of 2018. But in 1965 and 66 the term “white bread” wasn’t considered derogatory. White packaged bread was a staple in nearly every household and was considered a nutritious product

Actually, by the 60's, the term "white bread" meant plain and boring. When I was a kid in the 70's, I remember the term "white bread and mayonnaise" [[meaning the same thing). It wasn't used as a racial slur as the article's writer obviously believes.

We ate Wonder Bread in the sixties. Did that mean something?

"Wonder Bread" meant the same as "White Bread" Marv. Sorry ...

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    "Wonder Bread" meant the same as "White Bread" Marv. Sorry ...
    Well there was another popular brand in our area at that time called "Taysee Bread". So Wonder Bread was not a generic term for bread where I lived.

I meant that the term "Wonder Bread" also meant plain and boring.

I meant that the term "Wonder Bread" also meant plain and boring.
    Oh ok. Thanks

i wonder how it tasted??

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    We ate Wonder Bread in the sixties. Did that mean something?
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  21.1 KB
    Yes! It meant that you were eating poison with almost no food value, as pawns of rich industrialists, who were making bigger profits than they should have from providing an an inadequate product. I wonder what they did with the nutritous portion of the wheat?

I am fortunate enough to have one of these wrappers. Anyone know what the current value of them is? You rarely see them for sale. I've had mine for 12 years.

Actually, by the 60's, the term "white bread" meant plain and boring. When I was a kid in the 70's, I remember the term "white bread and mayonnaise" [[meaning the same thing). It wasn't used as a racial slur as the article's writer obviously believes.
Views: 606
    I agree 100%. It just meant "plain and boring", "middle of the road", "common" American, as opposed to "ethnic", or uncommon, and, thus, interesting. It was only a racial slur, if one absolutely hated upper class Caucasians of English and Protestant origins [[WASPS).

To me, "White Bread" was tasteless, with the texture of a smooth synthetic sponge. It wasn't even remotely a food item. Then, to my astonishment, kids would tear off the only edible part, the crust, because they were too lazy to chew!!! Their accommodating mothers, wanting to "baby" them into their late pre-teen years, would "kindly" cut the crusts off on their sandwiches taken to school. What is THAT??? To me, that was just one of the actions that proved that The Anglo-Canadian and The All-American WASPS were from Bizarro World!

I grew up eating real bread [[corn rye, pumpernikel, schwartzebrot [[blackbread), filled with fibre and seeds and luscious calories.

As I tell my friends, when they visit USA, "Be sure to visit restaurants of as many of the hundreds of different ethnicities there. They have the largest choice of any cities in The World in New York, L.A., Chicago, San Francisco, New Orleans, Seattle, etc. But don't eat traditional Anglo-American food. It's dreadfully dull and boring, as Monty Python once said, and it's tasteless, too.

My goodness. How have we survived so long? My dad lived to 100 and ate white bread daily! And remember this is SUPREMES white bread with a special recipe!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    This is really quite a find; thanks for sharing Luke. Despite the ironies of having The Supremes promoting a brand of "White Bread", it was a rare feat for Black Artists to be picked to promote any products at all back in the '60s [[I remember seeing the commercial that the group did for Arrid Extra-Dry Deodorant in 1968/69).

You’re welcome Eddie. Good point!

i wonder how it tasted??
    It probably was indistinguishable from any other brand of white bread at the time. Entermann's anyone? LOL!!!!

You’re welcome Eddie. Good point!
    Yes thanks Luke for this find!

It probably was indistinguishable from any other brand of white bread at the time. Entermann's anyone? LOL!!!!
    No ... no ... oh God no ... Wonder didn't even taste like bread.

Did Entenmann's make a white bread?

No ... no ... oh God no ... Wonder didn't even taste like bread. Did Entenmann's make a white bread?
Views: 594
    It didn't have ANY taste at all. Just texture -and not much of that.

We never had Wonder Bread in our house. I had it once at a friend's house ... bleeeck!

No ... no ... oh God no ... Wonder didn't even taste like bread.

Did Entenmann's make a white bread?
    Entenmann's made everything. Their factory was about a mile and half from my house on Long Island. They still have their outlet there too.

I am now remembering my 80s favorites......Philadelphia's "Tasty Cakes" hehehehehehe!

We never had Wonder Bread in our house. I had it once at a friend's house ... bleeeck!
    I don't know where you're from Johnny, but many American kids grew up on Wonder bread.

Nothing like a nice piece of Wonder bread with some peanut butter on it! Yummmm

I don't know where you're from Johnny, but many American kids grew up on Wonder bread.
    I grew up in the northeast [[NYC and Atlantic City). I was raised in a Jewish household ... lots of challah, bagels, rye bread and matzoh [[again bleeeck to that last one). I saw the commercials for Wonder and saw it in the stores, but not in anyone's household.

PEANUT BUTTER TASTY CAKES!!!!! OH YES! [[Having been born in Philly, I have that running through my bloodstream!)

When I was a kid we pondered about Wonder bread, "I wonder what's in it"!

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    when i was a kid we pondered about wonder bread, "i wonder what's in it"!
    starch

Love love love peanut butter tasty cakes!!! And Herrs chips, as well as used to love wonder bread. Never realized there was such derision towards it!

Nothing like a nice piece of Wonder bread with some peanut butter on it! Yummmm
    I especially liked it with my Mom's tuna salad.

Love love love peanut butter tasty cakes!!! And Herrs chips, as well as used to love wonder bread. Never realized there was such derision towards it!
    Oh yes! Herrs Chips! Now you're talking. I was addicted to Tasty cake from 1986-89. Even after I had moved away from Philly, friends would send them to me. hehehehehehe!

Here in Tennessee, our Kroger stores carry a very limited supply of Tastykakes. Among the selection is one of my favorites...Butterscotch Krimpets. Love the Koffee Kakes too.

Herr's chips along with an authentic Philly Cheese Steak..now THAT's hard to beat!!

Oh yes. We have one supermarkets on ny border I go to to get Herrs. And my brother mails me Philly soft pretzels!!

Oh yes. We have one supermarkets on ny border I go to to get Herrs. And my brother mails me Philly soft pretzels!!
    AW! Philly soft pretzels!!!! You guys are makin' me hungry!

I miss seeing the guys hawking Philly pretzels near the Benjamin Franklin bridge!

Even as a kid, I hated Wonder Bread! It always got stuck to the roof of your mouth, especially in a peanut butter sandwich! I don't know what was in it [[I'm not sure I even want to know), but it was so glutinous it hardly had the texture of bread!

However, I never heard the term "white bread" as describing something ordinary until much later, probably the late 70s. That term was not bandied about when the Supremes Bread first came out.

I saw a wrapper once, framed, at a used record store in Detroit. This would have been in the 80s sometime. I think even then, they wanted $100 for the wrapper! Which prominently declared its price to be 5 cents! Was bread really only 5 cents a loaf back in the mid-60s?
    Last edited by kenneth; 02-12-2018 at 04:22 PM.

So true. I used to binge on krumpets!

those baked Tasty Cake pies are positively make with crack cocaine, they're so good!!

Conservation wise, Supremes White Bread was way ahead of its time with its encouraging of the re-usability of its bag!!

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    those baked Tasty Cake pies are positively make with crack cocaine, they're so good!!

You better know it! I would take them with me to Atlantic City. Do you remember the Philly restaurant called "Ribbits"?

You better know it! I would take them with me to Atlantic City. Do you remember the Philly restaurant called "Ribbits"?
    Rib-Its

They had one in Allantic City. They had a frog logo, right?