[REMOVE ADS]

Boyz II Men - Water Runs Dry

This video took me back to when MTV actually aired videos and not only videos but WORLD PREMIERES! Lol

So this was one of them.

Another Babyface-written classic. Went #2 on the Hot 100, I forgot what blocked it though since BIIM songs were going to #1 like they were candy.

Was it "This is how we do it" - Montell Jordan?

Quote Originally Posted by alexstassi View Post
    Was it "This is how we do it" - Montell Jordan?
    Yes, it was.

1995... what a year. I still love that song [[Montell's as well as the song I posted lol).

Wow. Those days of MTV. I remember BoyzIIMen was an event not to be missed. We used to wait when we knew they were coming on the TeeVee.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    1995... what a year. I still love that song [[Montell's as well as the song I posted lol).
    Holy Sheet. 1995. You're right. I had this song somewhere in 1997 in my memory. How time changes things.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Wow. Those days of MTV. I remember BoyzIIMen was an event not to be missed. We used to wait when we knew they were coming on the TeeVee.
    You too? Haha the good old days.

You too? Haha the good old days.
    That and the endless replays of Annie Lennox “Walking on Broken Glass” on VH1. Still love Annie.

The U.S. No 1's in 1995 were dominated by R&B singles whereas in the UK, 18 weeks were held by Robson & Jerome and Celine Dion.

This video took me back to when MTV actually aired videos and not only videos but WORLD PREMIERES! Lol

So this was one of them.

Another Babyface-written classic. Went #2 on the Hot 100, I forgot what blocked it though since BIIM songs were going to #1 like they were candy.
    This is their finest song in my opinion. I loved how their voices blended so well. They were head and shoulders above most of their rivals. Lovely song. Thanks for posting.

Oh, yea. Those were the days. I recall how at that time how many folk could listen to an r&b song and be able to determine it had to be a Babyface production. In my book, he was at the top and the artists who recorded his songs were no less on my list. Do y'all remember when Babyface did that duet with Jon B. and how much they sounded alike. It was very much like listening to Siedah Garrett and Michael Jackson dueting on "I Just Can't Stop Loving You." To my ears, they sounded so much alike also. No need to jump down my throat with name calling because that's just my opinion. LOL

I must stop. I am getting off the topic.

I liked this one and a few other songs, but I was never a big fan of the group. I was a HUGE Jodeci fan. BIIM was basically the opposite side of the coin. They just didn't do much for me, though I respected their harmony skills [[I am a huge fan of harmony).

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I liked this one and a few other songs, but I was never a big fan of the group. I was a HUGE Jodeci fan. BIIM was basically the opposite side of the coin. They just didn't do much for me, though I respected their harmony skills [[I am a huge fan of harmony).
    I was a big fan of En Vogue. It wasn’t until much later that I appreciated Jodeci. TLC was the complete bomb at the time, however.
    Last edited by thanxal; 02-11-2018 at 08:30 PM.

Jodeci to me had more edge, they were grittier. Boyz II Men had major hits with their ballads but it seemed their uptempo cuts got overlooked as singles and didn't perform as well on the charts, and for me "Thank You" and "Can't Let Her Go" are proper bangers!!
    As far as their ballads go, I preferred "Please don't go" as opposed to "End of the road"

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    I was a big fan of En Vogue. It wasn’t until much later that I appreciated Jodeci. TLC was the complete bomb at the time, however.
    I loved TLC and I liked En Vogue, but it was SWV and Xscape who drove me crazy. I had all of their stuff. Vocally I dug them. TLC had great songs but I never thought of Tboz as a real vocalist. I did however have the biggest crush on her. I used to read Right On and Word Up and magazines like that back in the day and I would take the posters out and put them on my bedroom walls. I had so many that at one point I started putting them on the ceiling, and Tboz had a GIANT poster in one of the magazines which quickly was taped to the ceiling above my bed.

Jodeci to me had more edge, they were grittier. Boyz II Men had major hits with their ballads but it seemed their uptempo cuts got overlooked as singles and didn't perform as well on the charts, and for me "Thank You" and "Can't Let Her Go" are proper bangers!!
    As far as their ballads go, I preferred "Please don't go" as opposed to "End of the road"
    I think that was the appeal for someone like me: Jodeci had grit that BIIM didn't have. "Please Don't Go" is one of my favs though. But Boyz II Men just couldn't hold my attention with every release. Jodeci on the other hand had me buying every album and sometimes a single even if I had it on the album already. Jodeci's royalty statements look real good because of me. Lol

Uptown and Motown were like night and day in this era; Guy, Jodeci, and Mary J. were like the kids who stole lunch money from B2M, Shanice, and Tracie Spencer.

^ Tracie wasn't on Motown. Lol

I know Motown tried to make Shanice "hip hop" after Mary J. began dominating R&B.

Whoops! I have no idea why I thought Tracie was on Motown.

I loved SWV and TLC, but my girls were Jade.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I agree. Vocally speaking they were probably ahead of the pack. Think they only did a couple of albums? I also rated Brownstone and a group called For Real [[i think). They were a short lived group but i have a fine cd of theirs hidden away somewhere that i shall have to dig ou.

I think that was the appeal for someone like me: Jodeci had grit that BIIM didn't have. "Please Don't Go" is one of my favs though. But Boyz II Men just couldn't hold my attention with every release. Jodeci on the other hand had me buying every album and sometimes a single even if I had it on the album already. Jodeci's royalty statements look real good because of me. Lol
    The Singles were essential.. especially for the Mr Dalvin remix of "Freek N You'

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I agree. Vocally speaking they were probably ahead of the pack. Think they only did a couple of albums? I also rated Brownstone and a group called For Real [[i think). They were a short lived group but i have a fine cd of theirs hidden away somewhere that i shall have to dig ou.
    I bought the For Real album "Free" back in the day on the strength of their single "like I do" which has the Motown Sound written all over it

I had a poster of Jade on my wall too. Lol Yes those girls were great too. They had great voices and great singles [["Don't Walk Away" and "One Woman" are always in my rotation). For me the problem was their albums. I didn't care much for the albums then and when I recently went back to re-familiarize myself with them, I really don't care for them now. The other girl groups of the time had good singles and good albums.

The Singles were essential.. especially for the Mr Dalvin remix of "Freek N You'
    You aint lying.

Unfortunately many of the girl groups of that era were a flash in the pan: 702, Blaque, Trina and Tamara. They did give us a few jams though.

Unfortunately many of the girl groups of that era were a flash in the pan: 702, Blaque, Trina and Tamara. They did give us a few jams though.
    True. I'd add to that names like Changing Faces [[I wasn't a fan though) and Zhane' [[whom I loved).

True. I'd add to that names like Changing Faces [[I wasn't a fan though) and Zhane' [[whom I loved).
    Don't forget Brownstone. Those were some sangin' sistas.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I think someone mentioned Brownstone above, but nothing wrong with reiteration. Brownstone were fantastic. I have both of their albums. The first one was very good.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I have already mentioned Brownstone sansradio. they were vocally a very tight outfit.

I think someone mentioned Brownstone above, but nothing wrong with reiteration. Brownstone were fantastic. I have both of their albums. The first one was very good.
    And they still sound great today. I think one of them passed away a few years ago. Also one of them [[Maxine i think) did a decent solo album which i have somewhere in my extensive collection.

Zhane were outstanding RanRan79. On Motown too.

I have already mentioned Brownstone sansradio. they were vocally a very tight outfit.
    Whoopsies!

And they still sound great today. I think one of them passed away a few years ago. Also one of them [[Maxine i think) did a decent solo album which i have somewhere in my extensive collection.
    Maxee was killed a couple years ago. Nicci did a solo album. Nicci still sounds great today, but when the group appeared on R&B Divas Atlanta a few years ago, they sounded horrible. If I remember correctly there was little to no rehearsal and the sound system wasn't very good, all of which could hinder otherwise talented people from sounding their best. But they just sounded plain horrible and I don't think lack of rehearsal or the sound system had anything to do with all of it. And poor Maxee, who's voice I always loved [[I preferred the group's version of "I Can't Tell You Why" with Maxee on sole lead to the one where she and Nicci share the lead), sounded like she had been gargling with glass. It was the most sad thing to see them together for the last time like that. An absolute horrible note for the group to end on.

Zhane were outstanding RanRan79. On Motown too.
    Yes they were. Both of their albums were great.