[REMOVE ADS]

‘Black Panther’ Reviews Roar With 100 Percent Rotten Tomatoes Score!

Just told my wife that this is one I'll be watching on the big screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Just told my wife that this is one I'll be watching on the big screen.
    Yep, me too! I am going to the movies to see this one. I went to see "IT" on my birthday back in September. This year is turning out to be like it was 40 years ago[[gulp!) in 1977-78 when you had so many great blockbusters out you had to go and see them. We had Star Wars, Saturday Fever, Deer Hunter, Animal House, Midnight Express, Which Way is Up, etc,etc.

Yeah, I got my license in 1978 and was going to the movies with frequency in my junior and senior years. Don't forget "Superman". I used to drive away during lunch break to go to the record store, too; usually Record & Tape Outlet, which was about 15 minutes away. That was when I got the bug to start buying albums because I had just started working at McDonald's.

I remember bringing Cameo's Cameosis and Parliament's Gloryhallastoopid back to the art room to play on the teacher's turntable. Tell the truth, though. Watching those movies now, don't they all seem very dated and old? The hair styles, dialog, special effects, and writing stand out as being... 70s-ish. There were some great movies back then, but they are harder for me to watch than almost anything from the 60s and before or the 80s and after.

With that said, "Jaws" and "The Godfather" join "Star Wars" as my favorite blockbusters from that decade. My favorite movie of all time is "Let's Do It Again", though. Still love that one.
    I saw "Superman" not long after I landed in Denver for college that Fall of '78. It was ok, just not spectacular as I was hoping. Saw it in some old, near run down theater in downtown Denver. LOL!

[[Oops! Had trouble with an edit and deleted the post...)
    Yeah, I got my license in 1978 and was going to the movies with frequency in my junior and senior years. Don't forget "Superman". I used to drive away during lunch break to go to the record store, too; usually Record & Tape Outlet, which was about 15 minutes away. That was when I got the bug to start buying albums because I had just started working at McDonald's. I remember bringing Cameo's Cameosis and Parliament's Gloryhallastoopid back to the art room to play on the teacher's turntable.

Speaking of movies, tell the truth, though. Watching those movies now, don't they all seem very dated and old? The hair styles, dialog, special effects, and writing stand out as being... 70s-ish. There were some great movies back then, but they are harder for me to watch than almost anything from the 60s and before or the 80s and after.

With that said, "Jaws" and "The Godfather" join "Star Wars" as my favorite blockbusters from that decade. My favorite movie of all time is "Let's Do It Again", though. Still love that one.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I saw "Superman" not long after I landed in Denver for college that Fall of '78. It was ok, just not spectacular as I was hoping. Saw it in some old, near run down theater in downtown Denver. LOL!
    I liked the filter on the camera that made it look like it was shot in the '50s. I thought that it was pretty good though because it was the only thing like that on screen. I was bummed out that they didn't find a true knockout to play Lois Lane though, with all due respect to Margot Kidder.

The other movie that really blew [[and continues to blow) my mind from that era was "Close Encounters of the Third Kind". My aunt had the book a couple months before the movie came out and I was eager to see it before it hit the screen. I could watch it tonight and have a good time.

I liked the filter on the camera that made it look like it was shot in the '50s. I thought that it was pretty good though because it was the only thing like that on screen. I was bummed out that they didn't find a true knockout to play Lois Lane though, with all due respect to Margot Kidder.

The other movie that really blew [[and continues to blow) my mind from that era was "Close Encounters of the Third Kind". My aunt had the book a couple months before the movie came out and I was eager to see it before it hit the screen. I could watch it tonight and have a good time.
    That's It! That is what I was trying to think of when you first mentioned the Superman movie. I was remembering how it looked unclear and kind of cloudy. It was the filter and not people smoking weed in the theater! LOL! "Close Encounters...." came out that year, "Grease", "Eyes of Laura Mars", "Halloween", "The Wiz". Man, all those great movies combined with all of that great music that came out in 1977-78 made me start to just take it all for granted. I believed it was always going to be that way.

I'm going to see[black panther ]also,but i'm gonna wait for some of the crowd to die down.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    I'm going to see[black panther ]also,but i'm gonna wait for some of the crowd to die down.
    I said exactly that same thing in July 1977 waiting to see "Star Wars". By the time I was able to go see it, it was late October of '77! They sold out almost every night and every weekend for months!

I'll still wait awhile,crowds can be annoying and i'm there to enjoy the film,besides i like having the whole back row to myself,hehe.

'Black Panther' will break box-office records. But could it change the movie business?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...216-story.html

I saw it, y’all. So fabulous to see Black folks being so strong, proud and beautiful in a major Hollywood blockbuster! I’m more excited for the children than anything; I would have killed for this scale of representation as a kid. Thrilling stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I saw it, y’all. So fabulous to see Black folks being so strong, proud and beautiful in a major Hollywood blockbuster! I’m more excited for the children than anything; I would have killed for this scale of representation as a kid. Thrilling stuff.
    I can't wait to see it. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I can't wait to see it. Thanks
    For sure. Oh, and see it in 3-D, if possible.😁

Women power in the movie........LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!

It's nice to see a black female director in charge of a big budget film,black or white..i haven't seen black folk this excited since obama got elected!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    It's nice to see a black female director in charge of a big budget film,black or white..i haven't seen black folk this excited since obama got elected!
    Funny! But this is actually directed by Ryan Coogler, the young brother who gave us FRUITVALE STATION and CREED. You might be thinking of Ava Duvernay’s A WRINKLE IN TIME, coming in a few weeks.😁

Quote Originally Posted by moe View Post
    Women power in the movie........LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!
    RIGHT ON!!! The Dora Milaje are some serious badasses!!! Shout out to Lupita, Angela and Letitia as well!