[REMOVE ADS]

The best version of 'Dancing In The Street'?...

Somebody just played me this video and I laughed so hard I thought there may be others here that might enjoy it!

Ok,i don't find it funny but oh well!

I couldn't ignore this one. Martha & The Vandellas OWN that song. It has always represented the Motown Sound and remains the best version ever recorded. The Bowie/Jagger duet was just a joke really and probably a promo stunt they came up with. Regardless, no one can touch Martha Reeve's on that one.
    Name:  r13.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  33.0 KB

I thought the real Jagger/Bowie version of DANCING IN THE STREET [[not the video above) was pretty good. Of course, it doesn't hold a candle to Martha and the girls, but its heart was in the right place, since proceeds from sales went to charity.

there is only 1 version but I'm sure Jobete & the writers were happy about the Bowie/Jagger thing.I never understood or appreciated the Mamas & Papas version. Van Halen gave it a nice rock nod in the 80's too & I took that as a tribute to Martha as they stated they were fans.

Some years ago a friend and I were discussing music and somehow "Dancing in the Street" came up in the conversation. This guy is my age [[66) and when I mentioned the song, he said, "Oh yeah. By the Mamas and the Papas. I loved that song." I just looked at him like, "Whaaat?" and explained that the M&P's version was just a cover [[and a B-side at that — to "Words of Love"). He said, "Huh?" I reminded him that Martha and The Vandellas had the big hit with it several years before and he said, "Who?" I was astounded that he had no knowledge of the original song, considering he would have been 13 when it hit the airwaves like a tsunami. I couldn't imagine what rock he was living under at the time but later discovered that, in a great many ways, he just lives in his own eccentric little world, largely oblivious to 90 percent of what goes on around him. I eventually played the original for him and he didn't like it! Shortly thereafter we parted ways [[not over that, naturally).

To each his/her own, I always say. One man's trash is another man's treasure, and vice versa. I actually dig the fact that there's so many different opinions about this art form.

In Western Canada in the 50's 60's 70's, there was little in the way of R & B/Soul Music played; a little bit in Ontario and Vancouver, but nothing much. And it led to these kinds of lack of knowledge.

the M&P was the first version I heard too...Martha's is the best...hands down. I think Petula Clark and the Grateful Dead also covered DITS.

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    Somebody just played me this video and I laughed so hard I thought there may be others here that might enjoy it!
    It was on MTV like around the clock back in the mid 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    In Western Canada in the 50's 60's 70's, there was little in the way of R & B/Soul Music played; a little bit in Ontario and Vancouver, but nothing much. And it led to these kinds of lack of knowledge.
    That's not true regarding Ontario home of CKLW the Big 8 and CHUM out of Toronto. They played R&B/Soul as much as they did Pop/Rock. Motown broke many of it's hits by getting them played on CKLW Windsor, Ontario first! Soul/R&B was played a LOT in Ontario and many of the the Soul/R&B acts played all through Ontario in the 60s. The television show "Swingin' Time" was produced and broadcast out of Ontario!

Montreal with it's Metropolis had constant Soul music showcases with everyone from Aretha to Wilson Pickett, Joe Tex, Solomon Burke and on appearing. The Supremes appeared in Montreal several times. I use to buy a lot of used "R&B/Soul" albums in Montreal. You must be referring to places like the Yukon! LOL!!!!
    Last edited by marv2; 02-07-2018 at 10:54 AM.

This is my favorite television performance of "Dancing In the Streets":

Martha doesn't look much heavier than Diana did.

^^

This is my favorite of the performances:

Right in FRONT of the audience lol

But you know what people, when you tell them Marvin Gaye co-wrote it, their reactions are "ARE YOU FOR REAL?! GET OUT OF HERE!!!" Even in 2018. People be like "REALLY?! HE DID!?" Lol

Like this song has been called a civil rights anthem by some and having changed the sound of dance music paving the way for disco, haha of course I'll claim Marvin had dibs on it.