[REMOVE ADS]

Ann Peebles Question

First of all, I miss this lady terribly. I hope she is doing well and not suffering from the effects of her stroke a few years ago. Maybe someday some previously unreleased material on her will surface.

Her HI stuff was incredible of course, there have been many re-issues, and I have it all. But my question is about her 1992 "comeback" album entitled Full Time Love on the Bullseye Blues label.

It is a sensational album by the way and I have no idea why it didn't lead to a major resurgence in her career, since she was only in her mid 40s at the time. Anyway, on the second cut, "St. Louis Woman [[With a Memphis Melody)" which is by far the best song on the album by the way, she starts out saying "I was born in Missouri." Then a line or two later, she sings about what sounds like "Kenlark County."

Well I had always read that she was born in East St. Louis, Illinois, as opposed to Missouri, but I guess that is a fairly small distinction, as I assume only the river separates them. But I have looked up this Kenlark County in both states and cannot find anything sounding like that in either one.

So does anyone know if that is in fact what she is saying, and if so, where is it?

What you're probably hearing is Kinloch, also home to U.S. Representative Maxine Waters and “The Mother of Black Hollywood" Jenifer Lewis:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinloch,_Missouri
    Last edited by sansradio; 02-06-2018 at 08:46 PM.

Thanks. I never tried looking it up as a town because I was so sure she says "county" in the song. Plus of course I was spelling it wrong. But this obviously has to be it.

Thanks again.

Glad I could help.