[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: The Dennis List

The Dennis List

With the tributes pouring in on the legend of Dennis Edwards,I wanted to also say something about his many great leads,but not the hits as everyone knows them,but the other songs-fillers-b-sides many of which could've been singles in their own right,from his early leads-Why'd You Have To Leave Me-to the soulful-Since I Lost You-the folksy-Johnny Porter-the bouncy-Evil Woman and the great line[walkin like a cat]-Dennis could make you get on the dance floor or he could tear your heart out as he does with the tearjerker-What A Way To Put It as he cries[that ain't no way to treat somebody you love]-or the joyful Carribean tinted-Little Things to the love anthem-Do You Wanna Go With Me,nobody in the history of soul music could say[boo-woo]like Dennis,and nobody ever will,he's gone to join his brothers-Eddie-Paul-David-Richard-Ollie-Damon-Al in the heavenly choir,but anyone who ever heard his powerful voice will remember-Dennis Edwards- A Temptation Forever!

That's a lovely tribute.

That reminded me of songs I had not thought about in a while. Thanks JAI

I loved Dennis...just as Flo was go from the Supremes by the time I became a fan, David was out as well....1968...I was 9.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    I loved Dennis...just as Flo was go from the Supremes by the time I became a fan, David was out as well....1968...I was 9.
    I remember when Dennis joined the Tempts. He was like the perfect replacement and a voice like a lion. I could never imagine him getting older, ill and leaving us. It happens to everyone, but hard when you remember the person when they were just starting out.

I too remember when dennis first joined the temps,and we didn't dig him at first because heck we loved david,but as time went on it was hard to think of the temptations without dennis edwards,although the trio of-david-dennis-ollie were three of the most powerful voices ever it was something about dennis that made him stand out,it seems that his voice almost vibrates through the speakers,the youngsters don't understand why we[boomers]love our groups just listen to dennis edwards and maybe they'll hear why!!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    I too remember when dennis first joined the temps,and we didn't dig him at first because heck we loved david,but as time went on it was hard to think of the temptations without dennis edwards,although the trio of-david-dennis-ollie were three of the most powerful voices ever it was something about dennis that made him stand out,it seems that his voice almost vibrates through the speakers,the youngsters don't understand why we[boomers]love our groups just listen to dennis edwards and maybe they'll hear why!!
    Now that is exactly how it was! We were not happy that he was replacing David, but after "Cloud Nine", all was cool.

Just as Levi was able to "cry" with his voice, Dennis Edwards had the ability to "shout" in tune LOL! He was like a roaring lion on some records. He and the Tempts made dance or made you sit up and listen. Not many artist have the talent to that.

With the tributes pouring in on the legend of Dennis Edwards,I wanted to also say something about his many great leads,but not the hits as everyone knows them,but the other songs-fillers-b-sides many of which could've been singles in their own right,from his early leads-Why'd You Have To Leave Me-to the soulful-Since I Lost You-the folksy-Johnny Porter-the bouncy-Evil Woman and the great line[walkin like a cat]-Dennis could make you get on the dance floor or he could tear your heart out as he does with the tearjerker-What A Way To Put It as he cries[that ain't no way to treat somebody you love]-or the joyful Carribean tinted-Little Things to the love anthem-Do You Wanna Go With Me,nobody in the history of soul music could say[boo-woo]like Dennis,and nobody ever will,he's gone to join his brothers-Eddie-Paul-David-Richard-Ollie-Damon-Al in the heavenly choir,but anyone who ever heard his powerful voice will remember-Dennis Edwards- A Temptation Forever!
    Ah what a great tribute arr&bee! And some of those songs I had seemingly never listened to properly... "Evil Woman", wow what a great, great track.

Ooh I'd add "Miss Busy Body" to the list of great and underrated Dennis-led Tempts songs. Oh yea and what about Dennis singing "I've Never Been To Me" from the Reunion album. And vocally on "Law Of The Land" and "Plastic Man" Dennis is on fire. So many great songs.

Thanks tomato tom,i dumbly overlooked his great lead[i've never been to me]as you said-so many great songs from one of the greatest lead singers of all time.

Thanks tomato tom,i dumbly overlooked his great lead[i've never been to me]as you said-so many great songs from one of the greatest lead singers of all time.
    Motown had an embarrassment of riches when it came to male vocalists. Marvin Gaye, Levi Stubbs, David Ruffin, Eddie Kendricks, Edwin Starr, etc, etc and Dennis Edwards ranked right up there with them. So did Ali-Ollie Woodson.

Marv,you ain't never lied,so much talent!

Sidenote..if you wanna hear some great two part harmony between dennis and paul,take a close listen to the gem[i need your lovin]from the album[cloud nine].

One of the first songs I remember Dennis leading as a Temptation: