[REMOVE ADS]

Who Has Fallen Into Cultural Obscurity That You Think Should Not Have?

Not the 1-2-3 hit wonders, but those who had 10+ year multi-phase, multi-hit careers but seem all-but forgotten [['retired' or not)? My vote is for the Pointer Sisters. From their explosive debut on the Helen Reddy show to opening for Johnny Mathis then hits, sell-out gigs at prestige venues, resurgences, etc. Distinctive costuming, inventive vocals, dynamic live performances - but pretty much never referenced anymore.

Faith Evans.

Terrence Trent D'Arby

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Not the 1-2-3 hit wonders, but those who had 10+ year multi-phase, multi-hit careers but seem all-but forgotten [['retired' or not)? My vote is for the Pointer Sisters. From their explosive debut on the Helen Reddy show to opening for Johnny Mathis then hits, sell-out gigs at prestige venues, resurgences, etc. Distinctive costuming, inventive vocals, dynamic live performances - but pretty much never referenced anymore.
    The Pointer Sisters you're thinking of no longer exist. June passed away several years ago. Bonnie left the group in the 70s, Anita is basically retired due to health issues and Ruth continues with her and Dennis Edwards daughter, Issa and I believe her granddaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    The Pointer Sisters you're thinking of no longer exist. June passed away several years ago. Bonnie left the group in the 70s, Anita is basically retired due to health issues and Ruth continues with her and Dennis Edwards daughter, Issa and I believe her granddaughter.
    Actually upon reading this I didn't think Peace was talking about artists being currently
    active but about their legacies. Or maybe I'm off...Still I have to say The Pointer Sisters
    sure do hit that nail on the head. I think not just of their own recordings but also their
    work augmenting folks like Taj Mahal, Bobby Womack, Rick James and even Jon Hendricks. Anyway, TTD kind of placed himself in that spot with his religious conversion
    and name change...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Actually upon reading this I didn't think Peace was talking about artists being currently
    active but about their legacies. Or maybe I'm off...Still I have to say The Pointer Sisters
    sure do hit that nail on the head. I think not just of their own recordings but also their
    work augmenting folks like Taj Mahal, Bobby Womack, Rick James and even Jon Hendricks. Anyway, TTD kind of placed himself in that spot with his religious conversion
    and name change...
    Hey Splanky - yes, you've got the idea. A performer who had [[or even maybe still has) a full career of hits and significance but is not at all referenced nowadays. I could also add Bobby Womack onto my list. So many great songs ripe for covering and so many killer albums not reissued on cd; I don't really ever hear anyone referencing BW -

Good question PeaceNHarmony. My pick for this is Mandrill. They were one of the greatest Funk bands to come out in the early '70s and they would release LPs from 1971 thru 1982. The band was great at integrating Afro-Cuban, Latin, Rock, Caribbean & African musical styles to their funky grooves. Add a great horn section & soulful harmony vocals and you have the essence of Mandrill's sound. Their best [[and best selling) LPs came in the early '70s but they would fall off the radar by the 80's.
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 02-03-2018 at 06:18 PM.

Add to that list the legendary-jerry butler,who should still be making hits or the man himself-clean gene chandler or barry white's girls-love unlimited,heck wouldn't it be great to hear something from the queen of memphis soul-miss carla thomas,somebody get-archie bell and the drells in the studio as well as the temprees.

this is not quite what is being posed here, but it seems like thus far the Prince legacy is going out with a whimper.
    Almost two years now since he passed and I would
    have thought by now there would've been some explosive book[[s) written, and certainly an investigation into his death resulting in some criminal charges. He got those drugs somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    this is not quite what is being posed here, but it seems like thus far the Prince legacy is going out with a whimper.
    have thought by now there would've been some explosive book[[s) written, and certainly an investigation into his death resulting in some criminal charges. He got those drugs somewhere.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "explosive" and don't expect to see any single individual
    named responsible for his passing with "aha!" evidence but there have been a few books
    published about Prince, Dig If You Will The Picture for one, another a collection of rare photos and a third by writer Toure which I expect to get soon. Trust me, the Kidd's not
    being forgotten just yet..

Well, I wouldn't say that. Prince's music will be featured tonight in the Super Bowl.

Prince's legacy was his music, not tabloids.
    He chose to live his life in privacy [[same with George Michael though he got more tabloid frenzy because the industry is evil).
    He didn't have that type of celebrity that was analyzed like Michael Jackson because he never lived his life like an open book like that.

Hey Splanky - yes, you've got the idea. A performer who had [[or even maybe still has) a full career of hits and significance but is not at all referenced nowadays. I could also add Bobby Womack onto my list. So many great songs ripe for covering and so many killer albums not reissued on cd; I don't really ever hear anyone referencing BW -
    I think Bobby's music has been well served by the cd era. Many of his 60's United Artists cds were reissued as 2 albums on 1 cd several years ago, whilst many of his mca albums are still available, along with the Beverly Glen albums and a few of his 70's and 80's one off albums are also available. I think i have got virtually all of them, and there are literally dozens of double cd compilations available too, most of them are UK issues which is usually the case with classic soul artists.

I submit Deniece Williams. With 2 number one Billboard pop hits spanning 2 decades and a magnificent string of R&B classics, I think she more than fits the bill.

I agree about the Pointer Sisters and Jerry Butler. It's a shame that they haven't found management and/or collaborators to give them comebacks similar to those of Johnny Cash, Solomon Burke, Mavis Staples, Loretta Lynn etc.

IIRC, Bobby Womack had a well received album a few years before he died.

This thread has made me reflect on how important PR/publicity and diverse interests are to an artist's longevity. I'm specifically thinking of Patti LaBelle, whose fame and status far eclipses her commercial recording success. I think she's been able to achieve that, not only because of her impact as a live concert performer, but because she became a memorable talk show guest and even made appearances in sitcoms and dramas [[she was on American Horror Story a few years back) as either herself or a character. And, of course, she's gone the full branding route the last few years with her pie range.

Patti was able to take advantage of what came in front of her...

It's served her well to do everything so people WON'T forget her name.

Brook Benton and Roy Hamilton

Irene Cara

I disagree with you about Prince's musical legacy going out with a "whimper". First off, last year's Deluxe Edition of Purple Rain a big hit [[it even made the Billboard chart which most reissues don't do). As another poster has mentioned, there was a tribute to him during the Super Bowl Half Time Show. Also, there's a lot of concert footage, documentaries and interviews with former associates of Prince on the YouTube web site. I do agree that the investigation into how Prince got the drugs which took his life has stalled [[and I don't think they'll ever get to the bottom of it).

Like I said, Prince is a legacy artist [[and also one of the final MEGASTARS that emerged). No way he would be forgotten. No way.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Like I said, Prince is a legacy artist [[and also one of the final MEGASTARS that emerged). No way he would be forgotten. No way.
    No - I still overhear Prince being played on radio stations pretty much daily, JT paid tribute at the Superbowl, Stevie Nicks told a loving story about him every night on her recent '24 Carat Gold' tour - Prince is still 'in the air'

No - I still overhear Prince being played on radio stations pretty much daily, JT paid tribute at the Superbowl, Stevie Nicks told a loving story about him every night on her recent '24 Carat Gold' tour - Prince is still 'in the air'
    Right. It's just laughable people would think Prince would be forgettable. I mean, really? Probably one of, if not, the most important musical artist of the 1980s is not gonna be forgotten about! Lol

I'm glad to learn Prince is still relevant .
    And really, Justin Timberlake did a Prince tribute during the Superbowl? That concept does not even compute . What did Justin play ? Air guitar?? [[Did he at least wear butt-cheek pants!!)

Still,
    two years later and nothing released from Prince's ample treasure trove of stashed product?? Surely a staff is rapidly combing thru the stuff as we speak.
    And an artist of this stature [[no pun intended) dies from drugs acquired illegally and no one is sought as accountable?? Is there no one who cares? Maybe not.

And yes an explosive book ... about a sexually ambiguous/mysterious figure, a Svengali with the ladies , a bearer of Savant Syndrome, a guy who imagined insightful spiritual and lifestyle superiority , but died in a way that completely belied that. ... OK maybe there's nowhere to go with that ...
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-13-2018 at 02:42 AM.

I'm glad to learn Prince is still relevant .
    And really, Justin Timberlake did a Prince tribute during the Superbowl? That concept does not even compute . What did Justin play ? Air guitar?? [[Did he at least wear butt-cheek pants!!)

Still,
    two years later and nothing released from Prince's ample treasure trove of stashed product?? Surely a staff is rapidly combing thru the stuff as we speak.
    And an artist of this stature [[no pun intended) dies from drugs acquired illegally and no one is sought as accountable?? Is there no one who cares? Maybe not.

And yes an explosive book ... about a sexually ambiguous/mysterious figure, a Svengali with the ladies , a bearer of Savant Syndrome, a guy who imagined insightful spiritual and lifestyle superiority , but died in a way that completely belied that. ... OK maybe there's nowhere to go with that ...
    The Purple Rain deluxe edition contained 10 never-before-released tracks and scads of alternate versions of the soundtrack's songs. The 4Ever compilation contained one unreleased track, "Moonbeam Levels."

LOL @ Boogiedown.

Did you research the music they released on Prince post-death?

I mean, Prince's estate and Warner Bros. are pulling in the stops. I think a SOTT reissue is in the works too.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    LOL @ Boogiedown.

Did you research the music they released on Prince post-death?

I mean, Prince's estate and Warner Bros. are pulling in the stops. I think a SOTT reissue is in the works too.
    Not to mention more new music coming this year. It's patently absurd to say he's being forgotten.