[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Clyde McPhatter

Clyde McPhatter

One of the pioneers of R&B. Mr. Clyde McPhatter. He had such a unique voice.....

Marv,don't get me started on the great one who influenced a whole generation of soul singers,i believe he was regarded as a soprano as a child,i don't think he ever made a bad song from his days with[the dominoes]to his founding and leading[the drifters]and his great solo career,i'm still trying to find his[1965]gem[crying won't help you now]i have a picture of the original drifters with clyde front and center,marv if you have a copy of his gem[only a fool-1969]just listen to his smooth presentation,a founding father of smooth-the great clyde mcphatter!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Marv,don't get me started on the great one who influenced a whole generation of soul singers,i believe he was regarded as a soprano as a child,i don't think he ever made a bad song from his days with[the dominoes]to his founding and leading[the drifters]and his great solo career,i'm still trying to find his[1965]gem[crying won't help you now]i have a picture of the original drifters with clyde front and center,marv if you have a copy of his gem[only a fool-1969]just listen to his smooth presentation,a founding father of smooth-the great clyde mcphatter!
    I am going to find it. Clyde was pure talent and ability. No else sounded like him and he made it look effortlessly. I was saddened to learn that he passed so young in the 70s. I would have loved to hear him sing live in concert.

By the way, Clyde's cousin is the one who posted the above video on Youtube. He has since passed in 2013.
    Last edited by marv2; 01-31-2018 at 10:56 PM. Reason: cousin, not son

Here is that song, Clyde McPhatter and "Only A Fool" -

This is why[sdf]is the best,we keep the legends alive.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    This is why[sdf]is the best,we keep the legends alive.
    Man that is some great music! So much that has yet to be shared or discussed.

Well as a man of great musical taste,i knew you would like it.

Hi!

Here Clyde does a fine version of Book of Memories - originally by Percy Wiggins - as one of his last recordings in 1970

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rraVe77RDL4

Best regards
    Heikki

Quote Originally Posted by heikki View Post
    Hi!

Here Clyde does a fine version of Book of Memories - originally by Percy Wiggins - as one of his last recordings in 1970

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rraVe77RDL4

Best regards
    Heikki
    Thank you Heikki!

Clyde McPhatter is one of my all time favorites! I was born in 1965 but was exposed to Clyde by my mother. First the Drifters and then the Dominoes and then after that the solo years...that's how I found out about Clyde. My favorites period was his time with the Dominoes; that was pure, raw, gut bucket R&B. The Atlantic stuff , once he went solo, started gravitating towards pop but was still quite good. He was, in my mind, one of a kind!!

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Great song. Sounds like one of his latter recordings in the 70s.

"Money Honey" is going to play in my head for the next few hours thanks to this post. That's one of my favorite songs ever. Thanks, Marv [[sincerely).

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    "Money Honey" is going to play in my head for the next few hours thanks to this post. That's one of my favorite songs ever. Thanks, Marv [[sincerely).
    Jerry you know you're welcome. We do not discuss most of the great artists that most of us loved on the forum anymore. Just one skinny female singer it seems. [[well she use to be skinny LOL!)

Have any of you read the Marv Goldberg writeups on the Drifters [[The early Drifters) and the Dominoes? Really good information there:

http://www.uncamarvy.com/Drifters/drifters.html

http://www.uncamarvy.com/Dominoes/dom01.html

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Have any of you read the Marv Goldberg writeups on the Drifters [[The early Drifters) and the Dominoes? Really good information there:

http://www.uncamarvy.com/Drifters/drifters.html

http://www.uncamarvy.com/Dominoes/dom01.html
    Marv Goldberg's diaries are like the Bible of Doo-Wop

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Marv Goldberg's diaries are like the Bible of Doo-Wop
    Most certainly!

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Most certainly!
    The pictures....wow! The pictures alone are priceless!