[REMOVE ADS]

Spinners produced by Thom Bell

I was thinking recently about the great success that the Spinners had when they were linked with Thom Bell. I often wonder what avenues Thom would have opened had he been in the Motown leadership and worked with the Spinners at that time. He probably could have been a great success with other Motown artists.

I know that it is probably impossible, but does anyone have any knowledge of any Spinners/Thom Bell recordings that remain in the Atlantic vaults [[wherever they might be) or in the PIR vaults. We all know where the Motown vault roster is located but Atlantic/PIR????????

If I'm not mistaken, PIR lost much of their vault material in a fire some years back; more's the pity. I'm not sure about Atlantic.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I was thinking recently about the great success that the Spinners had when they were linked with Thom Bell. I often wonder what avenues Thom would have opened had he been in the Motown leadership and worked with the Spinners at that time. He probably could have been a great success with other Motown artists.

I know that it is probably impossible, but does anyone have any knowledge of any Spinners/Thom Bell recordings that remain in the Atlantic vaults [[wherever they might be) or in the PIR vaults. We all know where the Motown vault roster is located but Atlantic/PIR????????
    It had been rumored that he was going to work with The Supremes in the 70s, but that didn't happen. I would have loved to have had him collaborate with Stevie on an album. That would have been just too much.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, PIR lost much of their vault material in a fire some years back; more's the pity. I'm not sure about Atlantic.
    They did have a fire at the Broad Street offices, but it is my understanding that PIR did not have a lot of vaulted material. They released most of what they recorded.

There was a fire at the South Broad Street studios but the masters were stored elsewhere according to this video on YouTube:

CBS and Capitol, who distributed PIR, ended up owning the master recordings once the distribution deals ended.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    There was a fire at the South Broad Street studios but the masters were stored elsewhere according to this video on YouTube:

CBS and Capitol, who distributed PIR, ended up owning the master recordings once the distribution deals ended.
    Thank you for this lockhartgary.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Thank you for this lockhartgary.
    You are welcome.

A match made in soul heaven.

He did eventually produce The Temptations.

In the early eighties when Steve Perry was hot:

Quite a career . I hope there's a Thom Bell memoir in the works. [[please!)

For one thing I'd like to hear more about the pairing of Dionne Warwick and the Spinners. Why just the one time I wonder when the result was a number one single.

I always felt this one should've been their follow-up. All that's missing to bring it alive is .....

Keep waiting for Bobby Smith to jump in.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Quite a career . I hope there's a Thom Bell memoir in the works. [[please!)

For one thing I'd like to hear more about the pairing of Dionne Warwick and the Spinners. Why just the one time I wonder when the result was a number one single.

I always felt this one should've been their follow-up. All that's missing to bring it alive is .....

Keep waiting for Bobby Smith to jump in.
    I vaguely recall reading something to the effect that Dionne wasn't happy that some perceived that the Spinners saved her career when THEN CAME YOU hit #1. When she appeared on SOUL TRAIN the next year, she was asked about a duet album and she said something like "I am Dionne Warwick. They are the Spinners," basically saying no.

They did team up again, albeit fifteen years later with I DON'T NEED ANOTHER LOVE.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I vaguely recall reading something to the effect that Dionne wasn't happy that some perceived that the Spinners saved her career when THEN CAME YOU hit #1. When she appeared on SOUL TRAIN the next year, she was asked about a duet album and she said something like "I am Dionne Warwick. They are the Spinners,"
    Ha! what an ingrate!

They did team up again, albeit fifteen years later with I DON'T NEED ANOTHER LOVE.

Yes , but could you use another hit ! lol!!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-04-2018 at 12:46 AM.

Hi!

Here are some comments on the continuation of the Spinners/Dionne collaboration:

Billy Henderson: "After 'Then Came You' came out, the public really demanded an album from us. The next time Thom Bell got round to doing it, Dionne couldn't do it. She had made commitments somewhere else."

Bobbie Smith: " - - there were some problems with Dionne. Whatever the situation was, I don't really know. She didn't do it, so Thom went on and did it on the Spinners, and that became one of our biggest albums [['New and Improved'). But it was supposed to be Dionne Warwick and the Spinners."

Thom Bell: "Something happened there, so I said 'okay, we just have to rewrite some of these songs and then get them on the Spinners'. I never recorded her anymore with them. Later on I recorded her for Warner Brothers by herself. I thought they made a mistake by not doing an album. That would have been a heck of a great deal. How much better can you get than a number one record?".

Soul Express: The Spinners Story, part 3 [[1972-1975)

Best regards
    Heikki

Bell, being a major exponent of the Philly Sound, would probably have been out of place at Hitsville. I suppose The Spinners might have felt out of place there as well, since they weren't promoted and eventually were actually demoted from the flagship Motown label down to VIP. [[Where, ironically, they experienced their greatest success with "Its a Shame," before moving over to Atlantic.) The pairing with Bell was great for them, although I always felt that once Bell found success with an act he didn't vary his formula much. Spinners songs always sounded a little repetitious to me. Same for Sylistics and Delfonics. Bell even used the Spinners formula with New York City as well [["I'm Doin' Fine Now"), and nearly everyone thought [[and many still think) it was The Spinners. Ditto for Dionne. Of course, many writers and producers would do this with their acts so I'm not being dismissive.
    Last edited by BigAl; 02-04-2018 at 11:00 AM.

Here's an interview Thom Bell did for Fresh Air in 2006 just after he was inducted into Songwriters Hall of Fame :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5gi5pMLYM

Thank you heikki for filling in some of the holes to the story!

Big Al:
    Spinners songs always sounded a little repetitious to me.
    Thom Bell in general had a distinct sound that played well until at last it didn't anymore .
    I enjoy listening to this song [['78-'79), although I admit it's more of the same:

Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-06-2018 at 12:26 AM.

It didn't work with the Spinners nor with Elton John:

Hmmm Elton and Dionne .....?

I know that it is probably impossible, but does anyone have any knowledge of any Spinners/Thom Bell recordings that remain in the Atlantic vaults [[wherever they might be) or in the PIR vaults. We all know where the Motown vault roster is located but Atlantic/PIR????????[/QUOTE]

Hi Woodward!

I talked to Thom Bell yesterday and I remember your question.
    Thom's answer: "No, not that I know of."

The rest of our chat will be published soon.

Best regards
    Heikki

Hello Maybe I'm late to the party but there was an excellent article on Thom Bell I found online from earlier this year, he looks in good health - what an amazing talent https://www.seattletimes.com/pacific...in-bellingham/

Best Shaun

Thom Bell was also featured on this excellent Spinners Unsung documentary, sorry if I'm late to the party again but I thought this Unsung programme was really interesting

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6ggkpv

Quote Originally Posted by shiveringgoat View Post
    Hello Maybe I'm late to the party but there was an excellent article on Thom Bell I found online from earlier this year, he looks in good health - what an amazing talent https://www.seattletimes.com/pacific...in-bellingham/

Best Shaun
    This was a fine article on the great Thom Bell. Thanks for sharing Shiveringgoat.

Motown had a much different production concept in the 60's than PIR did in the 70's...everything from the musicians to the engineers and production techniques, distribution, quality control,etc. It's quite likely that Bell would have developed an entirely different finished product had he worked with The Spinners at Motown in the 60's or early 70's prior to Motown's departure to Los Angeles. Much of Bells production style was also a product of the influence of the other Philly artists he was working with to develop his distinctive production output...Although it's impossible to predict exactly what product would have evolved from that association...I believe it's unlikely that the finished product would have resembled what emerged from the Bell/Spinners association in Philly.

I honestly can’t see Thom Bell working anyplace else other than Philadelphia in his 70s heyday! It wasn’t until the mid 70s that Outside producers were able to work with Motown acts. Hence, the Supremes reuniting with the Holland brothers!

It definitely took Bell a while to get adjusted to the 80s. That album he produced on the Temptations was quite dismal. He had Richard and Dennis trying to imitate Philippe Wynn. The tracks indeed sound like rejects from both the Spinners and the Stylelistics. Fortunately, Deniece Williams helped him regain his swagger.

While "Then Came You" [[with The Spinners & Dionne Warwick) is still a wonderful record, the song has an equally great B-side with "Just As Long As We Have Love".

https://youtu.be/9vJCKjegc94
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 08-19-2018 at 02:20 PM.

It didn't work with the Spinners nor with Elton John:

Hmmm Elton and Dionne .....?
    Not all hits are instant.

Elton's version hit number 1 in the UK in 2003.

I found this wonderful short clip of Melba Moore and the Spinners with John Edwards, wonderful words by Pervis Jackson is here respect to Philippé Wynne I think this was 1987, only 3 years after he died.

on the Dionne Warwick special on PBS, one of the features is a LIVE performance by Dionne & the Spinners[[Bobby Smith) doing "Then Came You" LIVE. Its great.

thanks! found it - Superb+++

Thanks Shiveringgoat what a great article to read and an amazing photo, Thom is looking so well1

Thom has always been a firm favourite of mine! yes I was brought up as a youngster with The Motown Sound, my brother was 11 years older than me, and I will always love that era, but Philly and Thom was my real period, those strings wow!

Get The Motown email's still with the new artists, but that is not Motown for me and ever will be, just Using the Great Name!

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    on the Dionne Warwick special on PBS, one of the features is a LIVE performance by Dionne & the Spinners[[Bobby Smith) doing "Then Came You" LIVE. Its great.
    That was a great performance. It was taken from Dionne's series DIONNE AND FRIENDS. I also recall her singing it with them during each of her stints on SOLID GOLD. But I've never seen a clip of Dionne and the Spinners performing it while it was a current release.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    That was a great performance. It was taken from Dionne's series DIONNE AND FRIENDS. I also recall her singing it with them during each of her stints on SOLID GOLD. But I've never seen a clip of Dionne and the Spinners performing it while it was a current release.
    They did perform it live on a tv show at the time. I recall seeing the clip on Top of the Pops here in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    They did perform it live on a tv show at the time. I recall seeing the clip on Top of the Pops here in the UK.
    That would have been a nice addition to her PBS special. But it was a good show nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    I honestly can’t see Thom Bell working anyplace else other than Philadelphia in his 70s heyday! It wasn’t until the mid 70s that Outside producers were able to work with Motown acts. Hence, the Supremes reuniting with the Holland brothers!

It definitely took Bell a while to get adjusted to the 80s. That album he produced on the Temptations was quite dismal. He had Richard and Dennis trying to imitate Philippe Wynn. The tracks indeed sound like rejects from both the Spinners and the Stylelistics. Fortunately, Deniece Williams helped him regain his swagger.
    Woah jboy I have to disagree that The Tempts' self-titled 1981 album was dismal; IMO the production is consistently fantastic throughout and while the songs aren't knock-out hits, they're all pleasant or decent at worst. And Dennis and Richard sound like Dennis and Richard to me.

Thank you heikki for filling in some of the holes to the story!

Thom Bell in general had a distinct sound that played well until at last it didn't anymore .
    I enjoy listening to this song [['78-'79), although I admit it's more of the same:

Boogie I think "Are You Ready For Love" is one of Thom Bell's best and most hit-worthy songs. I love both versions in fact.

Elton's version, which as Sotosound says was a massive hit in the UK some 25 years later, is the definition of "blue-eyed soul" for me

Nice Tom Tom!

If someone in 1979 had said to me , "you know this song is a hit , it just needs to sit on the shelf for twenty years" I'd have thought them nuts. It's quite a testament . Britain's had a history of reintroducing songs hasn't it. Much more open to revisiting older music than the states. I see this song resurfaced to promote the soccer season that year.

It's pleasant enough , upbeat, sing songy. A bit of a cake walk , but I always liked it . I'd rank it as one of Thom's better songs.😎

I don't know why, but even now listening to the Spinners version , I'm still wanting Dionne to jump in, just to amp it up a bit I guess.

Glad it finally found appreciation, that's cool when that happens. I wonder if someone called Thom Bell and told him he was number one in England !!!!
    "Really? 😮 With what song?"

Not convinced 'blue eyed soul' here in the UK that was the Disco era. look at some of Tavares singles who had hits.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Boogie I think "Are You Ready For Love" is one of Thom Bell's best and most hit-worthy songs. I love both versions in fact.

Elton's version, which as Sotosound says was a massive hit in the UK some 25 years later, is the definition of "blue-eyed soul" for me
    I agree, Tom. I love both versions of "Are You Ready For Love". They sounded like fresh Philly Soul back at the time of their release, and STILL do -- at least to my ears.

Nice Tom Tom!

If someone in 1979 had said to me , "you know this song is a hit , it just needs to sit on the shelf for twenty years" I'd have thought them nuts. It's quite a testament . Britain's had a history of reintroducing songs hasn't it. Much more open to revisiting older music than the states. I see this song resurfaced to promote the soccer season that year.

It's pleasant enough , upbeat, sing songy. A bit of a cake walk , but I always liked it . I'd rank it as one of Thom's better songs.😎

I don't know why, but even now listening to the Spinners version , I'm still wanting Dionne to jump in, just to amp it up a bit I guess.

Glad it finally found appreciation, that's cool when that happens. I wonder if someone called Thom Bell and told him he was number one in England !!!!
    "Really? 😮 With what song?"
    I wonder if someone did! That would have been so great to hear!

I don't know why it didn't hit when it was first released, it sounds like a hit to me. Then again maybe I'm saying that because it was eventually a hit.

I don't know why it became a hit in 2003, I think there might be a reason, maybe I should look into it!

Anyway thanks for bringing "Are You Ready For Love" up Boogie, it is one of my fave songs [[and has been since I was a kid in 2003)

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    I agree, Tom. I love both versions of "Are You Ready For Love". They sounded like fresh Philly Soul back at the time of their release, and STILL do -- at least to my ears.
    Thanks Gary I totally agree!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post

I don't know why it became a hit in 2003, I think there might be a reason, maybe I should look into it!
    I remember it was used as a tv ad for Sky Sports before the football season started that August.

My mate is a massive Elton fan and he wasn't too keen on the song cos he said it sounded too "disco". At the time we thought it was a new song and I remember saying it had Thom Bell written all over it and said it sounded like something The Spinners would have recorded..... and then realising ...doh!!!

Ah that would make sense alex!

I like Elton John too! and "Are You Ready For Love" is definitely one of his best in my opinion. The Spinners are actually on Elton's version too I believe.

Sadly [[imho) I think Motown made a mess of the Philly stuff they did on the Ross/Gaye album. I wasn't keen. Better was MJs take on "People Make The World Go Round".

I actually prefer Ross & Gaye's version of You are everything to the Stylistics version... but with "Stop Look Listen" the original all the time