[REMOVE ADS]

What were the last songs each Supreme Recorded?

I was wondering if anyone knows what were the last songs that each Supreme recorded in the studio. I am guessing for the final line up of MSS it was the same song.

The only ones I'm fairly certain about would be:

Barbara= "The Tears" and "Your Heart Belongs to Me" [[same session)

Flo= "It's Going All the Way"

Diana= "Someday We'll Be Together"

I think these things will keep me loving you is credited as the last Diana Ross and the Supremes song.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    I think these things will keep me loving you is credited as the last Diana Ross and the Supremes song.
    I think you're right BG. And to get technical, I believe the last official ACTUAL recording of Diana, Mary and Cindy was "A House Is Not a Home" with the Tempts.

I read [[somewhere) that the last recording featuring Diana was YOU'RE GONNA HEAR FROM ME. But I think it was also written in the JOINED TOGETHER cd notes that the duets with the Tempts on TOGETHER were her last recordings with the group.

I have them doing Sing A Simple Song with the Temps on June 3, 1969.

for MJC it's probably mid Feb 72. There are dates for background vocals for Over and Over, Wisdom Time, Oh Be My Love, Auto Sun, YWSSL, A Heart like mine and precious little things on 2/17 and 2/18. now what we don't know is if those were recording dates for M and C backgrounds or Andantes. There are a couple of Floy Joy tracks that are only MJC - was it Wisdom of Time or Precious Little things?

for MJL we don't have the exact dates of the Bad Weather sessions, nor Love Train. And then there was Remote Control and a few others. all of these were 73

for MCS it would be the High Energy sessions. Cindy's exact date of departure isn't really known. I've heard Jan or Feb. and Susaye definitely recorded more of the HE project than just her two lead vocals. She's clearly present on the original Russ version of I Don't Want To Lose You. I don't hear her as prominently on the others. the recording sessions for HE continued through late Feb 76

for MSS the last known sessions might be July/summer 76 when they finished up the recordings for Mary, Scherrie & Susaye. In a few fan club magazine articles, there are some quotes from the girls talking about how they hope for the next lp they might do some more of their own work. or maybe something with Stevie. that could have all been just typical PR fluff. There's nothing listed in terms of additional recording sessions or anything after these summer sessions. No one has even speculated about known tracks that were being worked on.

one thing that's surprising is a lengthy period of time in 72 with little or known recording. They wrapped up the Floy Joy work in Feb 72. and sometime that spring they did the Jimmy Webb stuff [[liner notes state this was done between March and June). There are no known dates for I Guess I'll Miss The Man.

but that's really it. its possible they started some of the stevie stuff in very late 72. it was released in March so the recording dates or rehearsals could have started.

but that's a very light year in the studio

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    I have them doing Sing A Simple Song with the Temps on June 3, 1969.
    And then on June 6th they did "A House Is Not a Home".

one thing that's surprising is a lengthy period of time in 72 with little or known recording. They wrapped up the Floy Joy work in Feb 72. and sometime that spring they did the Jimmy Webb stuff [[liner notes state this was done between March and June). There are no known dates for I Guess I'll Miss The Man.

but that's really it. its possible they started some of the stevie stuff in very late 72. it was released in March so the recording dates or rehearsals could have started.

but that's a very light year in the studio
    One of the things I wish they had done during that "light" time, is record some Christmas tunes. I think Jean's voice was tailored made for a soulful spin on a Christmas carol.

maybe there are some unearthed tracks with some producers. it would strike me as odd that they did nearly 0 recordings [[relatively speaking) with the MJL lineup. Jimmy Webb wasn't released until Nov so that flop hadn't occurred yet. I would think Motown hadn't totally given up on what to do with them yet and that they might have still be experimenting.

maybe we'll be surprised with a treasure trove in a Lost & Found set lol

just looked at the release dates for some of the 72 singles. YWSSL was released on 7/11/72 and then IGIMTM was on 7/15/72. that seems like way too short of period to let YSWWL hit.

They performed it on Sonny and Cher on 9/22 and then on Flip Wilson on 10/5. Sure I realize that the taping date is often considerably ahead of the air date. but why on earth would they release IGIMTM on top of the promotional period for YWSSL? seems like they barely even gave the first song a chance to hit.

Then they promoted IGIMTM on 3 tv shows - Mike Douglas, Soul Train and Kate Smith special. but those shows aired respectively 3/3/73, 5/12/73 and 1973 [[I don't have the exact air date of Kate).

So in Sept 72 they're trying to promote YWSSL but they release Man on top of it. then they don't do any tv for it until 7 months later when they're about to release BW

I think you got your dates mixed up. IGIMTM was released September 15 not July 15th

But you are right being a short time frame

Kate Smith "Rock And Remembrances" aired on May 21st.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    I think you got your dates mixed up. IGIMTM was released September 15 not July 15th
    haha - yep. typo there.

They were trying to save the day with a complete change up of song from the previous release???

DMFB - "The Tears" and "Your Heart Belongs To Me" [[December 8, 1961)

DMF - "It's Going All The Way [[To True Love)" and "In And Out Of Love" [[June 12, 1967)

DMC - "You're Gonna Hear From Me" [[March 20, 1969) - Supremes only
    "Sing A Simple Song" [[June 3, 21969) - with the Temptations
    "Loving You Is Better Than Ever" [[August 6, 1969) - Last Diana vocal on a Supremes assigned track

The 70's tracks are unclear and unknown as the session logs weren't as complete as those done in the 60's plus there are still unreleased tracks in the vaults. It's unclear which track was the final one for a group. So these are just guestimates...

JMC - The Floy Joy Sessions [[February 27, 1972 - listed as completed)
    *There is talk the Jimmy Webb album began recording before Cindy left due to her pregnancy. It's possible one of the Jimmy Webb tracks could have been the last JMC session.*

JML - Unsure which track was the last. Maybe "Love Train," "Remote Control," or tracks from the Stevie Wonder sessions.

MSC - The High Energy Sessions [[February 1976)

MSS - The Mary, Scherrie, Susaye Sessions / Maybe "Love I Never Knew You Could Feel So Good" [[August 9, 1976 - last date known)

Thanks for all the info guys, I didn't realise there were no further recordings from MSS from August 76 to the final concert in June 77. I am rather fond of It's going all the way [[to true love) so glad Flo is on it. I did read that Cindy may have been on I Guess I'll miss the Man but I think that one was recorded after she let.

i doubt Cindy is on IGIMTM. The show debuted on Broadway at the Imperial Theater on 10/23/72. Although the single was release the month prior, it would most likely been recording during the summer with MJL

for MSS the last known sessions might be July/summer 76 when they finished up the recordings for Mary, Scherrie & Susaye. In a few fan club magazine articles, there are some quotes from the girls talking about how they hope for the next lp they might do some more of their own work. or maybe something with Stevie. that could have all been just typical PR fluff. There's nothing listed in terms of additional recording sessions or anything after these summer sessions. No one has even speculated about known tracks that were being worked on.
    When I return from vacation, I'll share with you an article I've found after Mary Wilson's departure but before the group disbanded. That short period where they thought they might bring in a "third girl". If memory serves me right, there is mention of several songs by name that "the Supremes" plan on recording. Most of these would later end up on Sherrie and Susaye's "Partners" lp.