[REMOVE ADS]

I've gotta let you go-martha and the vandellas

Who else loves this sure nuff groove from miss martha,which sounds like it could've been recorded by the temps,with a killer beat,from[1970].

Yes indeed arr&bee, I love it! Fantastic. And of course the fact that it was written and produced by Norman Whitfield might explain why it sounds right out of The Tempts' songbook!!

First heard it on the B' Side to "Forget Me Not" here in the UK. Great sound.

Great track..I got it on Gordy in a 50 record Contempo Soul Pack. At the time I didn't realise it was on the B side to "Forget me not" as mysterysinger mentioned ! I couldn't believe my ears the first time I played it. Why it wasn't an A side here is also a mystery mysterysinger !

Yes this is a great song.I prefer Jimmy Ruffin's version to the Vandellas as the mix is a little bit brighter.It certainly is a swinging track though.Careful listening will reveal Benny Benjamin feeling his cheerios on this track originally intended for The Temptations!!!.
    Last edited by Quinn; 01-29-2018 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    Yes this is a great song.I prefer Jimmy Ruffin's version to the Vandellas as the mix is a little bit brighter.It certainly is a swinging track though.Careful listening will reveal Benny Benjamin feeling his cheerios on this track originally intended for The Temptations!!!.
    I thought the Jimmy Ruffin version used the same backing track as Martha and Co.. Its different ?

the track sounds like it was recorded much earlier then 1970, the year Martha did it and it was released.

Forget me not was on the 1968 ridin' High LP.

IGLYG was recorded in Sept 64 assigned to the Temps but didn't do any vocals,re assigned to Jimmy Ruffin Oct 1964 and his vocals added to the track. Martha and Co did the vocals inc The Andantes over 3 days, one in March and two in April 1970. Instrumental overdub added in Sept. 1970. TCMS Vol 10, disc 54 track 10,page 101.Always worth a visit for a full description on page 102 ! the track was jazzed up a bit to reflect the year.

Yes I love this song! It has that Temptations "Girl Why You Want to Make Blue" feel to it:

The way this track sounds, I'm convinced if MR&V's had signed with Hot Wax/Invictus and released this, it would've been a hit. Love Martha's voice on this.

Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    I thought the Jimmy Ruffin version used the same backing track as Martha and Co.. Its different ?
    You're correct. It's essentially the same,just a different vocal. Maybe I should've worded it different.

I remember when this song was debuted on American Bandstand's rate a record. I can't remember the rating it got, or if it won between the two singles played, but everyone had a good time dancing to it, and Dick Clark was complimentary to the group and song.

I don't understand why Motown released this. It was a 6 year old track by 1970 and the Motown Sound had changed dramatically by then. Norman Whitfield couldn't have re-cut the track? There weren't other recent Vandellas tracks in the vaults worthy of release?

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I don't understand why Motown released this. It was a 6 year old track by 1970 and the Motown Sound had changed dramatically by then. Norman Whitfield couldn't have re-cut the track? There weren't other recent Vandellas tracks in the vaults worthy of release?
    Very good observation and question Brad. All things considered the company got very lucky in 1967 trawling the vaults and turned up "Jimmy Mack". Billie Jean Brown had purposely not brought that to Berry Gordy's attention because she wasn't a fan of it. Martha was becoming less of a priority then and wasn't a priority at all in 1970. Norman Whitfield being the man with the master plan at the company at the time didn't want to potentially kill a new tune on a group that was receiving little attention. Martha probably sought his help and he did what he felt was best at that time. I'm surprised it got where it did on the charts with it's dated sound and lack of support on Motown's part.

After listening to both versions, there are little differences. The same instrumental track is obvious. But Jimmy’s version has handclaps where as Martha’s version replaces them with a tambourine. Even the background vocals are different.

It's just the typical Motown sound with drive, I got new ears listening to it the first time, couldn't believe how good it was. I got it in 1972 in a £8 for fifty a record "lucky dip" I also got "We'll have it Made" by the Spinners on VIP, Bunny Sigler's "Don't stop doing what you're doing" on Neptune sounding very MPG, Isley's Take some time out for love on Tamla, Two Originals inc "The Bells" on Soul, three Paula 7" a bunch of Chess,Cadet and Checker 7" and about 8 other Motown labelled stuff . Montclares the whole lot was outstanding. I must have bought another three 50 Record Soul Packs from Contempo. A single was around 45-50p then.