[REMOVE ADS]

Question Supremes song version questions

so, I have a subscription to Apple Music streaming, and it's allowed me to access what I think is 98% of the Supremes full catalog [[with certain selections out of print or not owning the rights to the music by Apple). While I am familiar with the general fare and the more popular versions of tracks, I've come across a few different versions listed as the "Alternate mix," "Jukebox," along with "Version 1"and "Version 2."

What separates an "alternate mix" from a "remix?" Is an alternate mix just the same master mixed differently to showcase different instruments [[similar to the differences between the "single version" and album version of "Up The Ladder To The Roof)?

Then things get stickier with my lack of understanding when it comes to the culture of jukebox [[which I'm too young to have experienced); Does "Baby Love [[Jukebox)" mean its time is abbreviated or edited for public settings? What makes a track carrying the label in parenthesizes "Jukebox" instead of the regular single?

Lastly, I'm sure this one may be less unfamiliar, but what's the actual audible differences between tracks like "I Want A Guy [[Version 1)" and version 2? I've compared them and they almost seem identical. Are there other examples of songs having different versions in the Supremes catalog?

I have general knowledge of how a "Single Version" differentiates, and I am familiar with the concept of a remix, but I haven't come across these terms before.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by loganjlr; 01-29-2018 at 01:17 AM. Reason: The Supremes, Diana Ross & The Supremes, versions, Jukebox, alternate mixes

Great question.

Absolutely true that some differences are far more obvious than others - but I'll leave this to those who have better knowledge [[particularly with regard to tracks by The Supremes).

My understanding is that alt mix means it was done by the original producers back in the day. They were toying w the mix and tried multiple versions. The mix is how they layer the various instrumental and vocal tracks. They might decide to bring out more of the strings in one mix vs another. Often the non released versions could have been wiped or taped over. So we r lucky to have these.

A remix is done later by a different producer. Putting a new spin on the song

A version is when they do something considerably different w the song. A completely different vocal take or different lyrics.

My understanding with alternate mixes is that there are different mixes done by the producers. Some mixes were done by the original producer[[s) and some mixes were done by later producers [[like on later compilations). Remix would be, as Sup fan says above, putting a new spin on a song, like the recent remix of Aint No Mountain High Enough.

In regards to "I Want a Guy", I believe version 1 is Diana solo with a completely different backing track to what was released. "Buttered Popcorn" also has a number of versions which differ with backing track and different Flo leads. To my memory, songs listed as "version #" usually are easily identifiable from the other version, be it different song lyrics, different vocal approach, different backing track. The different alternate mixes on the other hand, more often than not, don't seem to have many- if at all- discernible differences from the original.

I have no idea about jukebox.

This is how I break it down:

Alternate Mix - A different mix of the song. The mix could contain missing or additional instrumentation/vocals that were muted in the original released mix, the volume levels are different [[more bass, less drums, etc), but the vocals and track are the same of what we know.

Alternate Version - To me, an alternate version is either a different vocal take or the usage and inclusion of different instrumentals/vocals that were not used.

Version 1 / Version 2 - People get these confused with alternate version. When something is listed as Version 1 or Version 2, everything in the track has to be different. Different arrangement, vocals, band track, etc. It can’t be the same band track. For Motown Unreleased 1966, they list the Miracles’ “Flower Girl” as Alternate Version, but it really should be listed as Version 1.

Name:  51W7F7F9JGL.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  47.5 KB
    This box has a lot of different or extended mixes.

"But wait," you're thinking, "There've been other Motown boxes." Well, right you are, but none of them has been *all in stereo*-in fact, 30 of the 72 songs here appear here with brand-new stereo mixes! And not just any songs, either: Shop Around; Going to a Go-Go; The Tracks of My Tears Miracles; Stop! In the Name of Love Supremes; My Girl Temptations; Uptight [[Everything's Alright) Stevie Wonder; [[Love Is Like a) Heatwave Martha & the Vandellas; Reach Out I'll Be There Four Tops; Ain't No Mountain High Enough Marvin Gaye & Tammie Terrell; Do You Love Me Contours; Please Mr. Postman Marvelettes, and more!

While perusing 45cat, I noticed that some entries are recorded as Jukebox singles - sometimes these were songs we know as hits, other times they were tracks not even released on commercial 45s. In both instances, the Jukebox single may be in stereo when the more commonly heard version of the time was mono.

Now, whether stereo Jukebox singles differed from stereo LP versions of the same tracks, I have no idea.

I don't know if the following is truly a version that was serviced to jukeboxes, but it's labelled as such and it's in stereo:

Last edited by smallworld; 01-31-2018 at 08:42 AM.