[REMOVE ADS]

Brenda Holloway, Every Little Bit Hurts [[1962 Del-Fi original) RARE!

I just learned something new today. I never, ever knew that Brenda had recorded my favorite song by her two full years before she came to Motown and re-recorded "Every Little Bit Hurts" and it becoming her first hit record. Well here is the original recording she did for Del-Fi Records. She sounds so different ,so young here. Check it out:

This song was never one of my absolute favorites, but that seems to be changing! She sangin'!! And that backing track sounds like something straight outta Chess studios.
    Last edited by lockhartgary; 01-26-2018 at 09:11 PM.

Marv,

This is actually Frank Wilson's first wife, Barbara singing a demo lead for Brenda over the same backing track, although the mix has an organ on it.

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...Barbara-Wilson

http://faac.us/adf/messages/131452/1...tml?1187200780

And it was not recorded in 1962 as often claimed!

Cheers

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by bradburger View Post
    Marv,

This is actually Frank Wilson's first wife, Barbara singing a demo lead for Brenda over the same backing track, although the mix has an organ on it.

Cheers

Paul
    Wow, I knew she sounded much different and of course the backing music track sounded different and not as heavy as what Motown produced. Thank you Bradburger. From the comments under the video, people think that it is Brenda singing just going on the way the guy titled the video.

Quote Originally Posted by bradburger View Post
    Marv,

Cheers

Paul
    Paul, I didn't even remember the previous thread regarding this subject. Thanks again!

The track is also miscredited to Brenda Holloway on the Rhino box set "One Kiss Can Lead to Another: Girl Groups Sounds Lost & Found". I believe there was a "Del-Fi" ladies CD prior to that set - the miscredit may have originated there.

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    The track is also miscredited to Brenda Holloway on the Rhino box set "One Kiss Can Lead to Another: Girl Groups Sounds Lost & Found". I believe there was a "Del-Fi" ladies CD prior to that set - the miscredit may have originated there.
    Incredible. I guess that is how myths get started and perpetuated.

That is not Brenda Holloway - the track has been discussed many times on here.

Copied from another thread on Motown stereo mixes, and why none exists of Brenda's "Every Little Bit Hurts" ....

In the case of Brenda's ELBH, the sleeve notes by Mick Patrick on the ACE "Early Years" CD [[well worth buying if anyone doesn't yet have it) quote from Ed Cobb - "I wrote "Every Little Bit Hurts", cut the tracks and had a girl named Barbara Wilson singing on it"......."I put the entire record together. Hal came in with me and put on Brenda Holloway's voice but I had produced the whole record. We mixed it down and sent it to Gordy. When I finally got a copy of the record it listed Hal Davis and Marc Gordon as the producers but nothing was altered on the rhythm tracks. It was the exact same demo that I had brought to Motown in the first place".

Anorak that I am I find all this fascinating. Following the logic in the previous post, the Barbara Wilson demo was a mono mix down, Brenda's vocal replaced Barbara's on the original tape [[now believed to be a 4 track?). This was then mixed down onto a separate mono tape, but the original tape still existed and it would have been possible to mix to stereo were it not for the fact that it is missing. Yet in that case - the original tape must have belonged to Ed Cobb rather than Motown unless they purchased it from him. He may have kept hold of it. Could there be a possibility that it may yet turn up one day perhaps?"
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 01-27-2018 at 12:48 PM.

Brenda didn't record her version until she joined Motown. Ed Cobb wrote it for Barbara Wilson in 1962 and it was just a local release in California. That's probably why Brenda knew it so well since Hal & Marc had her record it.

Wow, so interesting. I had never heard this earlier version, either. While it may not sound quite like Brenda vocally, the vocal inflections and embellishments certainly seem to have inspired her own recording later. I think Brenda's version has more vulnerability and is a more soulful interpretation though and wins hands down over this version. I would have assumed it was Brenda as well from the YouTube posting.