[REMOVE ADS]

Flos almost tie the Supremes

Susaye makes the 8th Flo. As we know there were 9 Supremes tho for some unknown reason they say 8. I am confused why LL left. As far as I can tell the Flos only appeared a few times a year yet she left to persue other areas in entertainment. Scherrie has time to writes plays and songs and appears solo so I’d think LL could too. ?

I wonder how many lineup changes until they tie the Temptations? Lord only knows how many members there have been.

Looks like there's also been 8 Tops, 7 Vandellas, and 7 Marvelettes. Although it could be said there's been about 700 Marvelettes.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Susaye makes the 8th Flo. As we know there were 9 Supremes tho for some unknown reason they say 8. I am confused why LL left. As far as I can tell the Flos only appeared a few times a year yet she left to persue other areas in entertainment. Scherrie has time to writes plays and songs and appears solo so I’d think LL could too. ?
    As you well know this is only destined to go south real quick. LOL

Attachment 13914

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    As you well know this is only destined to go south real quick. LOL

Attachment 13914
    Hilarious, Roberta. I’m holding my breath! LOL LOL

Ummm - in their dreams ...

48 temptations or more?

Will it put this in Trump’s sh...ole to say that in some interview or article somewhere it said the FLOS made an effort not to take work away from Mary Wilson-because there wasn’t a lot of work at times

So they often worked out of the country

I'm not sure how many dates the FLOS play per year, but it's certainly less than Mary. In the 80's, I know they traveled quite a bit in England, but not sure when they were there last, or intend to be again.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    48 temptations or more?

Will it put this in Trump’s sh...ole to say that in some interview or article somewhere it said the FLOS made an effort not to take work away from Mary Wilson-because there wasn’t a lot of work at times

So they often worked out of the country
    There's always Branson ... Anyhoo, I think ALL these fake groups need to hang it up. Touring with not a single singer who sang on a single single? 'Yer fake. Let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post

Lynda was throwing their sound off. She could not stay in key for some reason. She told me that they do not get many gigs in the States because their name "Former Ladies of the Supremes" aka "The Flos" was not big enough. They had their greatest potential when Jean Terrell was with them. Maybe Lynda could team up with her sister and create an act.

I just don't get the Lynda hate...

But I wish her well in her post-FLOS career.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I just don't get the Lynda hate...

But I wish her well in her post-FLOS career.
    What's hateful about telling the truth? There's nothing to get so don't start anything. For the record, I do not like Lynda Laurence at all. But I do not hate her.

When did Lynda join the Flos ? Was it in 1986 ?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Lynda was throwing their sound off. She could not stay in key for some reason. She told me that they do not get many gigs in the States because their name "Former Ladies of the Supremes" aka "The Flos" was not big enough. ……. For the record, I do not like Lynda Laurence at all. But I do not hate her. .
    I could never figure out why Lynda was disliked so much by the fans. Maybe because she was a short term Supreme. She can't be such a bad person if she knows that you do not like her and yet she still communicates with you and tells you things.

I don’t get it either. But it does seem like Lynda is very disliked

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    I don’t get it either. But it does seem like Lynda is very disliked
    Well only in a very small group of fans

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Well only in a very small group of fans
    Just like the group that dislike Mary and the group that dislike Diane

I don't get it either. I always thought she was very pretty and had a really good voice. I wish Lynda the best.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    When did Lynda join the Flos ? Was it in 1986 ?
    Yeah, 1986. She's technically one of the original FLOs. It was supposed to be Cindy but she decided to try a solo career instead. The group was supposed to be Cindy, Scherrie and Jean.

So that means Lynda has been a FLOs member for most of its tenure [[31 years). She and Scherrie were the consistent members.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I don't get it either. I always thought she was very pretty and had a really good voice. I wish Lynda the best.
    shes a real nice lady and has a very good voice and great charisma. Its basically only a few of Marys more fanatical fans that dont like Ms Laurence.

shes a real nice lady and has a very good voice and great charisma. Its basically only a few of Marys more fanatical fans that dont like Ms Laurence.
    I agree Roberta. Have a great day!

Seems like that's the answer; the Mary-loonies are so ... protective ...

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    What's hateful about telling the truth? There's nothing to get so don't start anything. For the record, I do not like Lynda Laurence at all. But I do not hate her.
    And she's not fond of you bud

Lynda Laurence simply decided to retire a bit. Travelling for these ladies at their age is difficult. Lynda is a grandmother and wants to be there for her grandchild. She is still on standby; if any Flo can not make a gig she will step in. She may play the occasional jazz solo date as well. She's a classy lady, she fully understands that the group's day in the sun has passed.

I don't think you can really compare the Supremes to the FLOs. The first grouping had 3 members who had all been in the Supremes in the 1970's-two of them, Jean Terrell and Scherrie Payne, had been lead singers in the group for a few years. When Jean left and was replaced by Sundray Tucker, Lynda's sister, it still had some ties to the Supremes because Mary & Jean auditioned Sundray to take Cindy's place when she was going to leave to raise her child. So, she was almost a Supreme but they both preferred Lynda. When Sundray left, Freddie Poole replaced her for a number of years and I don't believe she had any ties to the Supremes. When she left, she was replaced by Joyce Vincent, who was going to replace Mary Wilson when she went solo but Motown decided to retire the Supremes before that happened. So, Joyce was also almost a Supreme and had that tie to the history. Now, when Lynda left to pursue other interests, Susaye came back and now the group of FLOs is the personnel who would have been the Supremes had they carried on. But this group is not the Supremes, even with its ties to the group it is more like the Dennis Edwards temptations Revue-good, but not the group or a continuation of it. I have always liked Lynda Laurence and thought she fit well into the Supremes when she was there for 18 months, she was great in that she had a good voice, was pretty and had a definite mid 70's vibe that the group needed. I don't think it is the fact that some fans dislike her, more for the fact that she was in the group for only 18 months and then when she was in the FLOs it seemed to be the press stating that she[[as a member of the FLOS) was the one who was preserving the legacy of the group [[the Supremes) by singing in the FLOs. As much as I like her, that did not sit well with even me as well as the CDs and bookings that listed the FLOs as the Supremes. I do find the new grouping exciting because it is three members who would have been together had the Supremes carried on past 1977 [[and that is not disrespect to Lynda, who did an admirable job from 1986 until 2017).

That's a nice article; thanks for finding it.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    And she's not fond of you bud
    lololololololol

I wish the “Flos” would be their own group with their own music and not be a kereoke version of DR and the Supremes. Only Diana Ross is entitled to sing those lead vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Lynda Laurence simply decided to retire a bit. Travelling for these ladies at their age is difficult. Lynda is a grandmother and wants to be there for her grandchild. She is still on standby; if any Flo can not make a gig she will step in. She may play the occasional jazz solo date as well. She's a classy lady, she fully understands that the group's day in the sun has passed.
    Oh OK.

Sorry for those who wanna think there was some drama behind Lynda leaving the FLOs.

These women [[save for the youngest Supreme of all, Susaye) are over 70 and have put in work for 40, 50, 60 years [[the originals in the latter just about). Let them be "supreme".

Oh OK.

Sorry for those who wanna think there was some drama behind Lynda leaving the FLOs.

These women [[save for the youngest Supreme of all, Susaye) are over 70 and have put in work for 40, 50, 60 years [[the originals in the latter just about). Let them be "supreme".
    It's somewhat ironic that Lynda was not a member of the original 4, but second only to Diana, Lynda seems to have done the most to keep the Supremes legacy live-and-alive, so good for her!

Oh OK.

Yep, most folk retire at 65 or 67 or 7o but God forbid a former Supreme should wanna slow down and spend time with family.

I love Scherrie...so I show some interest in this act now continuing. And I "like" each of the other ladies. But when Jean left everything FLO's fell into a different spot for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    I wish the “Flos” would be their own group with their own music and not be a kereoke version of DR and the Supremes. Only Diana Ross is entitled to sing those lead vocals.
    I agree. I actually enjoy the FLOS for the most part. I take heart in knowing that although their incarnation doesn't match the youthful BLAPs image they originally retained, they put on a good show and carry on the spirit of the music. I think the deepening of their voices give a different take on the original tracks, but they truly put heart into what they do on stage.

IN THE STUDIO, that's a different story. I can't say for most of the FLOs releases, but the cannon fodder they have published on Apple Music streaming is abysmal. They did a few 2000s remixes/new version of the old Supremes hits with Jean Terrell, Lynda Laurence, Cindy Birdsong, and Scherrie Payne, but the production is cheaply dated and doesn't hold a candle to the older versions of their vocals. While I know a lot of it has to do with cost, I'm sure the lady's ages do play a factor into it. Many older artists who have tried new sounds sometimes sound dated back to the 1990s - early 2000s because they haven't had an ear to the radio in so long. Petula Clark's 2018 original album, "Living For Today," carries a lot of late 1990s pop sensibilities, and doesn't have that "timeless" sound a truly good album can carry.
    Last edited by loganjlr; 01-29-2018 at 01:36 AM.