[REMOVE ADS]

DRATS - Let The Sunshine In Sessions

I wonder what are the outtakes from this album and if there's any alternate cover art of the album or if thers're photos feom this sessions!
    Anybody knows?

It was scheduled to be titled NO MATTER WHAT SIGN YOU ARE.

Pretty much, Sunshine and Cream of the Crop were a hodge podge of sessions taking place around a general time frame, I believe. The songs that were recorded after Love Child album release and prior to Sunshine's release that didn't make the Sunshine album, include:

Precious Memories
    You Gave Me Love
    Are You Sure Love Is the Name of This Game
    MacArthur Park
    A Little Breeze
    The Young Folks
    Shadows of Society
    Hey Jude
    Stormy
    You're Gonna Hear From Me
    Beginning of the End
    The Nitty Gritty
    I'm Livin In Shame [[alternate)

"Canadian Sunset" and "Autumn Leaves" was also recorded during this time frame, but I have a hard time believing either song was considered for possible inclusion on the Sunshine album.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    It was scheduled to be titled NO MATTER WHAT SIGN YOU ARE.
    Interesting; would have been a better title.

You Gave Me Love was awesome to me .....If it was sharpened a bit I think it could have been a single.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    You Gave Me Love was awesome to me .....If it was sharpened a bit I think it could have been a single.
    I love “You Gave Me Love.” I agree, it could have been a single. It’s so much better than “The Composer” and I bet it would have done better on the charts than “Sign” and “Composer.”

I’m in the minority, but I always preferred Cream Of The Crop over Let The Sunshine In. It had some great tracks on it and I think if a little effort was put into the track list, it could have been a solid album.

Agreed - 'You Gave' is a killer - as an LP LTSI just seemed a tad slapdash [[too many covers?)

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Totally agree. What was passing by the ears of the team in quality control when they put out 'The Composer' as a single over this great track?

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Agreed - 'You Gave' is a killer - as an LP LTSI just seemed a tad slapdash [[too many covers?)
    Wonderful song this - I love the band track to the Supremes version, Jimmy did a couple of takes on this and by the looks of things it was considered for David Ruffin as well

I have always felt Diana is at her most effective whenever she is performing live. She generally 'gives' just that little more than in the studio.

Even without any visual performance, some of her studio recordings can match that level, whenever she skips and sparkles through them with electricity in her voice....just reeeeeaaaching for those notes.

And 'You Gave Me Love' is a classic example......

You Gave Me Love is an exciting track. while much of the later DRATS output was anti-climatic, there were some strong songs. I don't think the Smokey material was very good. i'm sorry but i often do not care for his lyrics - they're just too syrupy for my taste and often boarderline corny. but that's just my opinion.

some other strong tracks are You're Gonna Hear from Me, Till Johnny Comes, I'm So Glad I Got Somebody, Discover Me, When It's to the Top

But as others have mentioned, its my understanding that there wasn't a concerted effort to create an album. Like they did with Symphony or some of the Love Child sessions. If No Matter What Sign had been a hit, I'm guessing it would have been the final single and the album of that name would have been the last studio set too. So some of the later 69 recordings might have been considered for Diana solo material.

I agree with some of the earlier posts that had a bit more care been put into the song selection, they might stand up more strongly today. both Sunshine and Cream are pretty patchwork, at best. some strong moments and some not so strong. And i don't know if there's really a BAD song but i think they lack cohesiveness. even if you aren't going for a specific theme.

Yes, many sings were not great. But, diana’s Vocals sure were great.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    You Gave Me Love is an exciting track. while much of the later DRATS output was anti-climatic, there were some strong songs. I don't think the Smokey material was very good. i'm sorry but i often do not care for his lyrics - they're just too syrupy for my taste and often boarderline corny. but that's just my opinion.

some other strong tracks are You're Gonna Hear from Me, Till Johnny Comes, I'm So Glad I Got Somebody, Discover Me, When It's to the Top

But as others have mentioned, its my understanding that there wasn't a concerted effort to create an album. Like they did with Symphony or some of the Love Child sessions. If No Matter What Sign had been a hit, I'm guessing it would have been the final single and the album of that name would have been the last studio set too. So some of the later 69 recordings might have been considered for Diana solo material.

I agree with some of the earlier posts that had a bit more care been put into the song selection, they might stand up more strongly today. both Sunshine and Cream are pretty patchwork, at best. some strong moments and some not so strong. And i don't know if there's really a BAD song but i think they lack cohesiveness. even if you aren't going for a specific theme.
    Sup fan, you just called Smokey Robinson- one of the greatest poets of our time- corny. Your thoughts and opinions going forward are forever invalidated.

All jokes aside, I think Smokey wrote some great tunes that were recorded by the Supremes but there never seemed to be a legit potential hit among them, aside from "A Breath Taking Guy", which I do believe if it had been released in 1962 it may have done well, but by 1963 the Motown sound had moved on and the single never took off too far. "The Composer" is a great song. Easily a standout cut on the Sunshine album. But why anyone in Quality Control heard this and thought "HIT!" I'll never be able to understand. I wonder if these QC meetings were noted and if those notes have been archived. I really would love to know why certain songs got a single release while others did not. Nothing about "The Composer" sounds like a hit.

As for Diana's exit, that was planned down to the minute. By the time Sign was released as a single, Gordy already had the final show as January 1970, I'm sure. So I don't believe "Sign" would have ever been considered the last single no matter [[ha!) how well it did.

"When It's to the Top" was recorded about a week or so before Sunshine's release, so I'm not sure it had time to be purposed for the album. "Til Johnny Comes" was recorded after Sunshine was released so I think it was always intended for the followup project.

Song for song I think Sunshine was the better album vs Cream. Even the Flo era tracks on Sunshine seemed to be a good fit. I don't know who's bright idea it was to pull the girls' dreadful version of "Blowin In the Wind" out of the can for the Cream album. Of all the great songs they had still sitting in the can, they packaged "Wind"? The more I think about it, the more I think that my hatred for their version of "Wind" is what brings the curve down for Cream. It's really the only bad song on the album, although I'm not fond of "Til Johnny Comes" either.

On the other hand, there are two songs on Sunshine that I don't like, "Everyday People" and "Livin In Shame". I MUCH prefer the alternate of "Shame" to what was released. And "Everyday People" suffers from what is a stale backing track for my personal taste, though Diana sings it very well. But if I have to sit through these two songs, I can. I refuse to sit through "Wind". I just can't.

Fav songs on Cream of the Crop: "Someday We'll Be Together", "Loving You Is Better Than Ever", "You Gave Me Love", "Shadows of Society" and "The Young Folks".

Fav songs on Let the Sunshine In: "The Composer", "No Matter", "Hey Western Union Man", "What Becomes of the Brokenhearted", "Let the Music Play", "With a Child's Heart", "Discover Me", "Will This Be the Day". I can play this album from start to finish and be glad.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Sup fan, you just called Smokey Robinson- one of the greatest poets of our time- corny. Your thoughts and opinions going forward are forever invalidated.

All jokes aside, I think Smokey wrote some great tunes that were recorded by the Supremes but there never seemed to be a legit potential hit among them, aside from "A Breath Taking Guy", which I do believe if it had been released in 1962 it may have done well, but by 1963 the Motown sound had moved on and the single never took off too far. "The Composer" is a great song. Easily a standout cut on the Sunshine album. But why anyone in Quality Control heard this and thought "HIT!" I'll never be able to understand. I wonder if these QC meetings were noted and if those notes have been archived. I really would love to know why certain songs got a single release while others did not. Nothing about "The Composer" sounds like a hit.

As for Diana's exit, that was planned down to the minute. By the time Sign was released as a single, Gordy already had the final show as January 1970, I'm sure. So I don't believe "Sign" would have ever been considered the last single no matter [[ha!) how well it did.

"When It's to the Top" was recorded about a week or so before Sunshine's release, so I'm not sure it had time to be purposed for the album. "Til Johnny Comes" was recorded after Sunshine was released so I think it was always intended for the followup project.
    hahaha! I'm sorry but Sweet Thing, Are You Sure Love is the name of the game?, treat me nice john henry, Then - I think these are hideous songs. the lyrics are worthless

but Tracks of my Tears is amazing and offers a full pardon for all other hideousness

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    hahaha! I'm sorry but Sweet Thing, Are You Sure Love is the name of the game?, treat me nice john henry, Then - I think these are hideous songs. the lyrics are worthless

but Tracks of my Tears is amazing and offers a full pardon for all other hideousness

What about "He's My Sunny Boy"? IMHO, here's where the alchemy of Smokey and DRATS really gelled. A fantastic track.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    What about "He's My Sunny Boy"? IMHO, here's where the alchemy of Smokey and DRATS really gelled. A fantastic track.
    everything from silk to corduroy [[or mohair!)

magic. pure lyrical magic lololol

didn't smokey do Till Johnny Comes? that one I do think works well

I do often include Will This Be the Day. partly just cuz C and M are on it. but hearing Diana sing about combing her hair and drawing her bath?!?! lol

What do you think about this tracklist for the expanded edition?

ORIGINAL ALBUM
    1.The Composer
    2.Everyday People
    3.No Matter What Sign You Are
    4.Hey Western Union Man
    5.What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted
    6.I'm Livin' In Shame
    7.Medley: Aquarius/Let The Sun Shine In [[The Flesh Failures)
    8.Let The Music Play
    9.With A Child's Heart
    10.Discover Me [[And You'll Discover Love)
    11.Will This Be The Day
    12.I'm So Glad I Got Somebody [[Like You Around)
    BONUS TRACKS
    13.Stormy
    14.MacArthur Park
    15.A Little Breeze
    16.Are You Sure That Love Is The Name Of The Game
    17.Those Precious Memories
    18.You're Gonna Hear From Me
    19.The Nitty Gritty
    20.Where Do I Go / Good Morning Starshine [[Live at the Hollywood Palace/1969)
    21.Don't Cha Hear Me Callin' To Ya [[Like Help! Vocal)
    22.Medley: Aquarius/Let The Sunshine [[The Flesh Failures) [[Like Hep! Alternate Vocal)
    23.No Matter What Sign You Are [[Alternate Version)
    24.What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted [[Alternate Mix)
    25.Let The Music Play [[Alternate Mix)
    26.With A Child's Heart [[Alternate Vocal)
    27.I'm Livin' In Shame [[Alternate Version)

I revamped the track list for the last two albums.

Let The Sunshine In [[I would have kept the original title: No Matter What Sign You Are)
    Side One
    1.) No Matter What Sign You Are
    2.) Everyday People
    3.) I'm Livin' In Shame
    4.) Hey Western Union Man
    5.) Are You Sure Love Is The Name Of This Game
    6.) The Composer

Side Two
    1.) MacArthur Park
    2.) With A Child's Heart
    3.) Discover Me [[And You'll Discover Love)
    4.) Will This Be The Day
    5.) I'm So Glad I Got Somebody [[Like You Around)

Cream Of The Crop
    Side One
    1.) Someday We'll Be Together
    2.) Can't You See It's Me
    3.) You Gave Me Love
    4.) A Little Breeze
    5.) Stormy
    6.) Shadows Of Society

Side Two
    1.) Loving You Is Better Than Ever
    2.) When It's To The Top [[Still I Won't Stop Giving You Love)
    3.) Till Johnny Comes
    4.) The Young Folks
    5.) The Beginning Of The End
    6.) You're Gonna Hear From Me

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    Totally agree. What was passing by the ears of the team in quality control when they put out 'The Composer' as a single over this great track?
    It does make you wonder doesn't it? I think Motown were perhaps planning Diana's future solo career rather than attempting to source good songs for DRATS. I agree this had hit potential but alas o-one was interested enough to care.

I have always liked You Gave Me Love. I also prefer the lush sounding Cream /Crop lp over the mish mosh Let The Sunshine In ...,and why call a Supremes lp after 5th Dimension song. who came up with that idea. sorry I cant listen to all those voices on that track.to corny for me. I think I like maybe 2 tracks on the entire Sunshine lp. just a waste for me but perhaps if the mixing was better. some seem to laid back. I find it hard to listen to this lp

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I revamped the track list for the last two albums.

Let The Sunshine In [[I would have kept the original title: No Matter What Sign You Are)
    Side One
    1.) No Matter What Sign You Are
    2.) Everyday People
    3.) I'm Livin' In Shame
    4.) Hey Western Union Man
    5.) Are You Sure Love Is The Name Of This Game
    6.) The Composer

Side Two
    1.) MacArthur Park
    2.) With A Child's Heart
    3.) Discover Me [[And You'll Discover Love)
    4.) Will This Be The Day
    5.) I'm So Glad I Got Somebody [[Like You Around)

Cream Of The Crop
    Side One
    1.) Someday We'll Be Together
    2.) Can't You See It's Me
    3.) You Gave Me Love
    4.) A Little Breeze
    5.) Stormy
    6.) Shadows Of Society

Side Two
    1.) Loving You Is Better Than Ever
    2.) When It's To The Top [[Still I Won't Stop Giving You Love)
    3.) Till Johnny Comes
    4.) The Young Folks
    5.) The Beginning Of The End
    6.) You're Gonna Hear From Me
    Great choices. I think the Sunshine album could have a bit of a concept of a straight pop album - strong covers, a few original pop songs. My list is:

Aquarius/Sunshine
    Composer
    Western Union Man
    I'm living in shame
    No matter what sign
    Will this be the day

Autumn Leaves
    Are you sure love is the name of this game
    Hey jude
    Macarthur park
    Everyday people

Another option would have Sunshine really focus on a Smokey produced lp:

Composer
    Are you sure love
    Sweet Thing
    Sunny Boy
    Treat Me Nice John Henry
    Then

No Matter what sign
    Will this be the day
    Hey western union man
    let the music play
    With a child's heart
    living in shame

I think Cream of the Crop would have been a strong opportunity to show a more mature Diana vocal and sound.

Someday
    You gave me love
    stormy
    You're gonna hear from me
    till johnny comes
    I'm so glad i got somebody

discover me
    loving you is better than ever
    When it's to the top
    beginning of the end
    the look of love
    i'll set you free

i had already done other playlists for Reflections and Love Child, taking songs like Then and I'll set you free off of those sets. so they were "available in my vault" for later lps like these lol