[REMOVE ADS]

Supremes & Stevie Wonder I'll Wait a Lifetime Demo

Another gem from the vaults, an almost 9 minute demo titled "I'll Wait a Lifetime" Jean's vocal in the beginning then switches to Stevie because she didn't record any more of the song. Didn't do any major tweaking with this one. Take a listen

https://soundcloud.com/imaginationmi...-lifetime-demo

Lovely - thanks for this - Jean is a great interpreter of Stevie.

Quote Originally Posted by kje71 View Post
    "I'll Wait a Lifetime" Jean's vocal in the beginning then switches to Stevie because she didn't record any more of the song.
    https://soundcloud.com/imaginationmi...-lifetime-demo
    But Jean definitely joined in on background vocals [[and is clearly heard after Stevie takes over demo lead vocals).

Very, very nice. Definitely a Stevie song and production. Soulful, elegant and jazzy at the same time.

Ooooh I love this! I wondered why it felt so familiar... and then I remembered it was from the same sessions as "Bad Weather"...!

Thanks kje!

Thanks for posting this one! I hadn't heard this before. Makes me wish even more for the album to have been completed.

Wow!!! Amazing!! What a fantastic surprise! Love it! Thank you for taking the time to share with us. I can't believe this has been locked up for so many years.

Amazing!

I definitely think the Sups and Stevie would have made an exciting combination. But one thing I’m noticing is that these three tunes seem more like he’s producing a Jean solo concept vs a group. It’s definitely a lead and then background vocals. Frank and Smokey did much more to produce a “group” sound - giving lines to the girls and bringing them into the tune more than just doing oohs and aahs. Of course these r just demos so it’s unfinished. But I think somethings definitely missing

It almost sounds like 2 songs in one. One thing is for sure. This song is very Talking Book

Good Stevie song. He's into it . His love of creating music on full display here . Interesting to hear.

But I'm increasingly wondering if I am not a fan of Jean Terrell's style.
    I don't get the sense that she is thinking about the love of her life as she sings this .

There's an undeniable spark that's added when Stevie steps in.

Maybe Jean was just tired that day .

I hope that this does not turn into an anti-Jean thread. Can’t we just enjoy and discuss the music. We’ve been through all of the personality stuff enough. Please?

Go for it!

Different strokes for different folks, but I don’t like the song nor vocal. I find Jean’s vocal style very annoying.

I love it and it makes me think what could have been. Such a lost opportunity......

I just love it, you have to take into consideration the period it was written and recorded, Jean on Top with vocal as ever!

I'll pass on this one....like BW much better than this. Perhaps in a complete final mix version I'd care more for it.

This is the first time I've heard even the title of this track, and initially when I read that this was a demo, and Stevie took over the vocals, I expected Jean to stop singing after at most a minute. I do like the track - even after Jean's lead ends after 4 minutes.

Thanks to kje71 for alerting me [[and others) to this track.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    Amazing!

I definitely think the Sups and Stevie would have made an exciting combination. But one thing I’m noticing is that these three tunes seem more like he’s producing a Jean solo concept vs a group. It’s definitely a lead and then background vocals. Frank and Smokey did much more to produce a “group” sound - giving lines to the girls and bringing them into the tune more than just doing oohs and aahs. Of course these r just demos so it’s unfinished. But I think somethings definitely missing
    I don't get that at all Sup, although based on Stevie's words at the time, I think his attraction to working with the Supremes was Jean. IMO one of the reasons "Bad Weather" is so good is because of how much Mary and especially Lynda do in the background. When they come in full swing they are as integral to the sound as Jean and the band. I don't think any of these songs are any less group sounding than what Frank and Smokey achieved. Mary does sing part of "Soft Days", and apparently there's a version of her leading the whole song. Lynda says she also recorded a couple of leads. Not having a finished product or all of the songs from the session makes it a bit harder to fully judge what Stevie hoped to accomplish. But I'm with you, this was an exciting combination.

Very nice! If Motown thought that this was not suitable for The Supremes then I'm sure Syreeta would have made a great job of it!

Wow, never heard of this song before! So thanks ever so much for sharing it. I love discovering unearthed recordings! Love it!

Never heard this song before. I actually like it. Would be nice if Stevie's instructions were edited out and the song mixed with just the Supremes and Stevie.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I don't get that at all Sup, although based on Stevie's words at the time, I think his attraction to working with the Supremes was Jean. IMO one of the reasons "Bad Weather" is so good is because of how much Mary and especially Lynda do in the background. When they come in full swing they are as integral to the sound as Jean and the band. I don't think any of these songs are any less group sounding than what Frank and Smokey achieved. Mary does sing part of "Soft Days", and apparently there's a version of her leading the whole song. Lynda says she also recorded a couple of leads. Not having a finished product or all of the songs from the session makes it a bit harder to fully judge what Stevie hoped to accomplish. But I'm with you, this was an exciting combination.
    You definitely bring up some valid points [[and i love having these exchanges with other fan where we dig into the songs and material! )

still to my ears these songs come across as Jean solo tracks with vocal backup. I'm not saying there isn't quite a bit of background vocals. but there's little to no group interaction of interplay on BW or these tracks. Look at Ladder, Touch, many of the FL tracks like Over and over, Bitter Sweet, Wisdom of time, Nathan and many others. there were more complex harmonies on backgrounds and the backgrounds aren't limited to ooo's and the repeating of the chorus. they're trading off lines, there's more vocal interaction, more call and response

Or go back to some of the Diana era tracks - Come See, Stop, You Can't Hurry Love, Happening, Going Down Third time, Love is Here, Breathtaking Guy, Long Gone Lover, Misery Makes it heart

I think one of our skillful SFD members might just edit this demo for us. Fingers crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    I think one of our skillful SFD members might just edit this demo for us. Fingers crossed!
    How do you want it edited?

How do you want it edited?
    I guess with the vocal patter removed and the beginning and ending musical parts joined. Can anyone explain it better?

But in any case, kje71, I am SO GRATEFUL that you gave us this wonderful music track and music history. Cheers!

I guess with the vocal patter removed and the beginning and ending musical parts joined. Can anyone explain it better?

But in any case, kje71, I am SO GRATEFUL that you gave us this wonderful music track and music history. Cheers!
    Not sure if this is what you meant, but check it out, had to do some quick and dirty editing lol

https://soundcloud.com/imaginationmi...nate-demo-edit

Not sure if this is what you meant, but check it out, had to do some quick and dirty editing lol

Thanks SO MUCH!!! I think you did a great job and I appreciate it! Thanks for investing your time. I’m going to try to find a way to convert your “new” Soundcloud version into an MP3 so that I can listen to it in the car. I’m grateful! ��

i was able to use iSkysoft iTube Studio and download I'll Wait A Lifetime. but for some reason it won't work with Soft Days

i was able to use iSkysoft iTube Studio and download I'll Wait A Lifetime. but for some reason it won't work with Soft Days
    For making an MP3 of the demo EDIT of “Lifetime” just above?
    Last edited by longtimefan; 01-27-2018 at 11:30 PM.

yes it worked for me. I've used iSkysoft for years - mostly to download youtube clips. you can do video or audio. it's great

I've downloaded tons of sup videos and other motown performances off of youtube.

yes it worked for me. I've used iSkysoft for years - mostly to download youtube clips. you can do video or audio. it's great

I've downloaded tons of sup videos and other motown performances off of youtube.
    I’ve been totally unsuccessful and bummed that I can’t get anything to convert the “Lifetime” shortened edit into an MP3. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

I’ve been totally unsuccessful and bummed that I can’t get anything to convert the “Lifetime” shortened edit into an MP3. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

You can download it from YouTube:
    https://youtu.be/WFK52Ur0feg

Quote Originally Posted by Weslley Francisco View Post
    Thanks again Weslley!

Quote Originally Posted by Weslley Francisco View Post
    Thanks, Wesley. But I was referring to the shortened “edit” mentioned above [[about three posts above). I’m unsuccessful getting that as an MP3. The YouTube video is the 8+ minute version with the studio chat. Thanks, anyway.

Here’s the edit:

Amazing! I particularly love hearing Stevie directing the band...

Quote Originally Posted by JM27 View Post
    Amazing! I particularly love hearing Stevie directing the band...
    I agree, JM27. I am struggling to get the edited down version on MP3, too! Thanks to all for your help on these Stevie tracks!