[REMOVE ADS]

SHOW ME YOU CAN DANCE A song recorded 4 times with NO release

seriously, shame on Motown. The head of the company is seriously messed up in the head. The Miracles version was released on their box. Martha and the Vandellas version is still in the vault. The Hit Pack version was on the Motown guys CD from ACE. And lastly the Monitors version on their ACE CD.

Staunton and Walker didn't last long at Motown, but made some great tracks, A CD compilation of their Motown stuff would be good.
    But regarding SR&TM and MR&TV , what 'released' 45s [[in the correct time frame) would you have dropped in favour of this track?

I guess i'll add my two cents here.While I do agree that "Show Me" was a quality song I can see why QC decided not to release it.Considering that it was tried on four different acts with Smokey Robinson laying the best and most passionate vocal,it still lacked something.First of all let's discuss what we know as the "Motown Sound" and how this song fit or didn't fit that concept.I'll use SR&TM version to lead the example.
    That particular version was completed on Nov.25,1964,which in my estimation means that it would've been scheduled to come out in early 1965.Now imagine that it was released and you bought "The Complete Motown Singles Vol.5" and heard it among all the other songs on the box.That record wouldn't stand out or feel funny?.Listen to the songs that were actually released,which I think were rejected only B.G. wanted to give the guys a chance with songs he kinda liked.The company sound is largely absent from their recordings.
    The mixes are the second thing."Motown Mixes" as I call them were fashioned to put great emphasis on the beat and the bass.Even though their songs had great clarity,the understated mixing makes the tunes sound less energetic.They don't jump out and demand attention like most of the company's tunes.
    The Two Bobby's recorded about 30 songs while at hitsville and it would be nice to hear one version of the 20 or so tracks still languishing in the archive.They just didn't understand the creative requirements to realize the success their contemporaries were.
    Last edited by Quinn; 01-23-2018 at 02:55 PM.

Well o definitely would've released the Monitors version. Richard Street is pulling a Levi Stubbs and David Ruffin on parts. I'd have to wait to hear Martha's is released. Maybe on MOTOWN GIRLS VOLUME 3? Let's hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Fourtopsbiggestfan View Post
    Well o definitely would've released the Monitors version. Richard Street is pulling a Levi Stubbs and David Ruffin on parts. I'd have to wait to hear Martha's is released. Maybe on MOTOWN GIRLS VOLUME 3? Let's hope.
    Maybe four versions is not the end of the story - I love Staunton Walker

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Maybe four versions is not the end of the story - I love Staunton Walker
    Me too. You think there are more version in the vaults?

I wonder what the Quality Control department was thinking. I know they probably held a vote lol

What? Neither version impressed them?! LOL

I also like Staunton & Walker, but wonder why their records were usually so darn short.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I also like Staunton & Walker, but wonder why their records were usually so darn short.
    Great point.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    I guess i'll add my two cents here.While I do agree that "Show Me" was a quality song I can see why QC decided not to release it.Considering that it was tried on four different acts with Smokey Robinson laying the best and most passionate vocal,it still lacked something.First of all let's discuss what we know as the "Motown Sound" and how this song fit or didn't fit that concept.I'll use SR&TM version to lead the example.
    That particular version was completed on Nov.25,1964,which in my estimation means that it would've been scheduled to come out in early 1965.Now imagine that it was released and you bought "The Complete Motown Singles Vol.5" and heard it among all the other songs on the box.That record wouldn't stand out or feel funny?.Listen to the songs that were actually released,which I think were rejected only B.G. wanted to give the guys a chance with songs he kinda liked.The company sound is largely absent from their recordings.
    The mixes are the second thing."Motown Mixes" as I call them were fashioned to put great emphasis on the beat and the bass.Even though their songs had great clarity,the understated mixing makes the tunes sound less energetic.They don't jump out and demand attention like most of the company's tunes.
    The Two Bobby's recorded about 30 songs while at hitsville and it would be nice to hear one version of the 20 or so tracks still languishing in the archive.They just didn't understand the creative requirements to realize the success their contemporaries were.
    Quinn,
    I definitely agree, it is all about the mix. As much as I admire the songs of Robert S and Robert W on Motown, a better sound could have been achieved for some of the recordings that they produced.