[REMOVE ADS]

Legendary Jazz Musician Hugh Masekela Dies at 78

I had the honor of meeting Mr. Masekela in college. He was a warm, elegant gentleman. RIP to a world music giant.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.3773390

I loved Hugh Masekela. His "Grazing in Grass" was a part of the soundtrack of my childhood. Great musician that cannot be replace and will definitely be missed. Rest in peace Mr. Masekela and thank you.

Marv

I heard the sad news an hour or two back on Jazz-FM ... let's not forget that Mr Masekela was for a while signed to Motown ... here is his great version of THE SUPREMES song "You Keep Me Hanging On".

RIP Hugh Masekela.

Roger
    Last edited by roger; 01-23-2018 at 11:36 AM.

He and his former wife, Miriam Makeba were two of my favorite international musicians of the 60s.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    He and his former wife, Miriam Makeba were two of my favorite international musicians of the 60s.
    Both of them had albums in the '80s that were a welcome relief from much of what I was listening to. I can't remember the name of either, but I have them on cassette and think that I'll dig them out to hear again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Both of them had albums in the '80s that were a welcome relief from much of what I was listening to. I can't remember the name of either, but I have them on cassette and think that I'll dig them out to hear again.
    I am going to name drop [[as I am known to do LOL). Back in the 80s, while I was in college, Miriam Makeba's then husband, Stokley Carmichael aka Kwame Toure had lunch in my apartment while on campus to give a lecture.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Was the Makeba album Sangoma?

The night I met Mr. Masekela was the night he performed with Miss Makeba at my university. What an incredible concert! [[Miss Makeba was backstage as well when I met Hugh, but she looked so exhausted that I didn't bother her.)

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    I heard the sad news an hour or two back on Jazz-FM ... let's not forget that Mr Masekela was for a while signed to Motown ... here is his great version of THE SUPREMES song "You Keep Me Hanging On".

RIP Hugh Masekela.

Roger
    That's right! I could have posted this in the Motown Forum.

I would move heaven and earth to have a CD or mp3 of Hugh Masekela Is Alive and Well at The Whiskey, featuring this sparkling gem:

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Was the Makeba album Sangoma?

The night I met Mr. Masekela was the night he performed with Miss Makeba at my university. What an incredible concert! [[Miss Makeba was backstage as well when I met Hugh, but she looked so exhausted that I didn't bother her.)
    I think it was Sangoma. And his album was the one with "Bring Back Nelson Mandela". Now that I've thought about it, that song will be in my head all night.

Dang,i was playing-grazin in the grass the other day,great musician..r.i.p.