[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Diana Ross, The 5th Dimension and "Love Hangover"

In PeaceNHarmony's "'Ain't No Mountain ...' - Vikki Carr?" thread, The 5th Dimension's "Love Hangover" is brought up.
    Here's what Lamonte McLemore wrote in his book:
    "From Hobo Flats to the 5th Dimension: A Life Fulfilled in Baseball, Photography and Music by LaMonte McLemore as told to Robert Allan-Arno"
    [[Copyright © 2014 LaMonte McLemore and Robert Allan-Arno)

----
    Like with Earthbound, there are some stories floating around our next song choice, but I'll state here that it was my idea for The 5th Dimension to record Love Hangover" from Diana Ross's album Diana. My heart raced as I said aloud to myself, "Finally, here's that really good dance record I've been dreaming of!" As soon as I heard it on Diana's latest project, I zoomed it over to our manager, Marc, and he agreed it would put us back on the map...

Meanwhile, Miss Ross had released another song [["I Thought It Took A Little Time") as a single from her album. Diana was appearing in London, and my good friend Gil Askey, her conductor- a true gentlemen who we recently lost- called me from overseas and related with shy if not sly amusement, "Hey, man, that song 'Love Hangover' that ya'll did..."
    "Yeah, Gil, The 5th Dimension is thrilled with this one," I interrupted.
    Gil went on, "Well, Diane called me while catching it on the radio and said, "Good, I told Berry we should release that song as a single... uh damn, now wait a minute, that's not my f-ckin' song!" Even the biggest Urban DJ in the country, Frankie Crocker out of New York's WBLS, had our single of "Hangover" going way up the chart until Diana allegedly told Berry, "Screw my current single! Stop that and put 'Love Hangover' out now! And whatever it takes, squash the 5th Dimension's record!"

So all of a sudden, our single-- one we had just performed on Dick Clark's American Bandstand-- wasn't played. Later, when Florence and I went to see Diane performing her acclaimed one-woman show on Broadway, An Evening With Diana Ross, she spied us in the front row, stopped dead in her tracks, and had the spotlight placed as if we were in a police lineup. As she pointed to a frozen Florence and me from center stage, she snarled with a smile, "Now there's the enemy!" She was trying to be funny... but the lady meant buisness.
    ----

"From Hobo Flats to the 5th Dimension: A Life Fulfilled in Baseball, Photography and Music by LaMonte McLemore as told to Robert Allan-Arno"

hey - if you snag another person's song and basically try to scam if for yourself, then you get what you deserve. It's not like they happened to record their version first and were unfairly squashed by the motown machine.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    hey - if you snag another person's song and basically try to scam if for yourself, then you get what you deserve. It's not like they happened to record their version first and were unfairly squashed by the motown machine.
    There is so much more to be learned from Lamont's account if you read just a little between the lines. I'm laughing because I told you she was like that! LOL!!! It gives you an idea of how some records either didn't played or got squashed by Motown!

Quote Originally Posted by dylan View Post
    In PeaceNHarmony's "'Ain't No Mountain ...' - Vikki Carr?" thread, The 5th Dimension's "Love Hangover" is brought up.

----
    Like with Earthbound, there are some stories floating around our next song choice, but I'll state here that it was my idea for The 5th Dimension to record Love Hangover" from Diana Ross's album Diana. My heart raced as I said aloud to myself, "Finally, here's that really good dance record I've been dreaming of!" As soon as I heard it on Diana's latest project, I zoomed it over to our manager, Marc, and he agreed it would put us back on the map...

Meanwhile, Miss Ross had released another song [["I Thought It Took A Little Time") as a single from her album. Diana was appearing in London, and my good friend Gil Askey, her conductor- a true gentlemen who we recently lost- called me from overseas and related with shy if not sly amusement, "Hey, man, that song 'Love Hangover' that ya'll did..."
    Gil went on, "Well, Diane called me while catching it on the radio and said, "Good, I told Berry we should release that song as a single... uh damn, now wait a minute, that's not my f-ckin' song!" Even the biggest Urban DJ in the country, Frankie Crocker out of New York's WBLS, had our single of "Hangover" going way up the chart until Diana allegedly told Berry, "Screw my current single! Stop that and put 'Love Hangover' out now! And whatever it takes, squash the 5th Dimension's record!"

So all of a sudden, our single-- one we had just performed on Dick Clark's American Bandstand-- wasn't played. Later, when Florence and I went to see Diane performing her acclaimed one-woman show on Broadway, An Evening With Diana Ross, she spied us in the front row, stopped dead in her tracks, and had the spotlight placed as if we were in a police lineup. As she pointed to a frozen Florence and me from center stage, she snarled with a smile, "Now there's the enemy!" She was trying to be funny... but the lady meant buisness.
    ----

Old news. We've already read this rather sad and embittered series of quotes by McLemore. Among other ... inconsistencies ... I would bet pretty much anything that Ross never said anything even close to "Screw my current single! Stop that and put 'Love Hangover' out now! And whatever it takes, squash the 5th Dimension's record!". That's a line straight out of a Joan Crawford movie. We've known for decades that Gordy called the shots about what was released and that was one of the major reasons for Diana's departure from Motown. Nice try, McLemore, but a major fail. Shows to go 'ya that 'bitch' is not a female-only character description.

Uh...yeah, I'm calling bullshit. I don't think it's a stretch to believe that after "I Thought It Took a Little Time" peaked at whatever position it was destined to reach, that Motown had "Love Hangover"- an obvious hit- poised to be the next release. I also imagine that when Motown learned that the 5th had released their version of what was probably already on the docket as the next Ross single, it went into overdrive to send Diana's "Hangover" out [[the same way Motown did when it learned of the other version of "Come See About Me") because they wouldn't want to risk her version failing because the public had basically already heard the song before. Apparently both singles entered the chart on the same day with the 5th's version stalling at #80. I've listened to both songs. There's a chance that the 5th's version would have done better than #80 if it didn't have to compete with Diana Ross' version. But I don't believe for one single moment that the 5th's version needed to be "squashed" by anyone. One listen to Ross' version and there doesn't seem to be much competition, but of course that's a matter of personal taste and not based on fact. What is a fact is that if a dj had the choice between a Diana Ross record and a 5th Dimension record of the same song in 1976, the 5th would not get a play. Diana wouldn't need to tell anyone to squash anything. Motown wouldn't even need to squash it if they wanted to. The djs knew they would get listeners with a Diana Ross record. Who was really checking for the 5th Dimension? "Love Hangover" by Diana Ross was a no brainer #1. Does anyone think the 5th was hitting number one with their version? I don't. Mr. McLemore's story is funny though, fact or fiction not mattering.

It seems Diana was hurt by this "love hangover" fight. There is an interview in UK, I think, she talks of that. About singer stealing song from another , she said "someone did that to me".

I Willl survive??? Hmmmm

Martha Wash once claimed, somewhat bitterly, that Sylvester first recorded "Love Hangover." Almost implying that Ross had scooped Sylvester's version. Is that true? If so, I've never heard his version.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I Willl survive??? Hmmmm
    Real bad example. Gloria Gaynor recorded it and release in 1978. Diane Ross released her version in 1995 17 years LATER and Billie Jo Spears recorded her version in 1979 and Cecilia Cruz record her Spanish version in 2000. Hmmmmmmm.

Gladys Knight released "the way we were" one year after Barbra's n°1 hit.

I think there were three different "let's go up" at the same time in 83.

I think the damaging part was that the 5th really needed a big hit. Billy & Marilyn had gone by this time. The group quickly needed to establish itself as continuing top chart performers, just like the Supremes did after DR left...If LH wasn't already pegged for the next DR single, I Thought It Took A Little Time would have had a longer life. It is an excellent ballard performance. Too bad the stars didn't line up in '75/'76 for 4 major hits in rapid succession [[DYK?. ITITALT, LH and One Love In My Lifetime)...1979/80 did that trick though.

What a crock of crap. Ross telling BG what to release? To dump a soaring Michael Masser follow up for a dance track? LOL. I give her props if she did say it, but I don’t believe she’s that savvy and was busy doing her tour and Mahogany premiers and planning her Oscar appearance via sattellite. It was the smart thing to do, and if the group needed a hit, that’s not Ross’ Problem. Remember Nella Dodds? LOL........

more crap: both songs entered the hot 100 at the same time, which is radio gonna play? The original version from a very recent #1 artist, or the copy from a group of has been? I don’t believe Motown quashed anything, but I give them credit if they did!

‘’some people will write ANYTHING to sell books.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    What a crock of crap. Ross telling BG what to release? To dump a soaring Michael Masser follow up for a dance track? LOL. I give her props if she did say it, but I don’t believe she’s that savvy and was busy doing her tour and Mahogany premiers and planning her Oscar appearance via sattellite. It was the smart thing to do, and if the group needed a hit, that’s not Ross’ Problem. Remember Nella Dodds? LOL........

more crap: both songs entered the hot 100 at the same time, which is radio gonna play? The original version from a very recent #1 artist, or the copy from a group of has been? I don’t believe Motown quashed anything, but I give them credit if they did!

‘’some people will write ANYTHING to sell books.
    Yes, indeed, all around. The verbal statements attributed to Ross are utterly absurd. And, here's a SHOCK - the entertainment business is "sometimes" known for being ... just a little ... competitive. And particularly unfortunate that a Black man would choose to denigrate a successful Black woman decades later to get a little publicity for his bomb of a memoir. From Amazon: Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #427,089 in Books
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 01-23-2018 at 04:25 PM.

Let’s not forget how many books have been sold denigrating just that one successful black woman. Even Gladys Knight was using that 50 year old “ they kicked us off the tour because diana ross could not stand the competition “ nugget To get attention for her most recent album. That Story has had more performances than South Pacific!

To be fair, there is a difference between telling the truth and using old news for some nefarious purpose. Gladys wrote about what she believed happened in her book, which was her right to do [[and IMO it wasn't far fetched). Since that time she has been asked about it. And the last time I saw her mention it, Sway, who's show I am a big fan of, asked her about it and she answered him. She also mentioned what happened when she brought the subject up to Diana when they spoke about it in their adult years. I thought the statement not only showed how classy Gladys is by including information that messy people would have kept to themselves in order to continue to paint Ross in a bad light, but also how Diana has proven that she has become a wise adult by being able to look back and see her own personal growth. As I move through my 30s I'm starting to learn that wisdom is not automatic for people twice my age, as the old adage would have us believe. Kudos to Gladys and Diana.

Let’s not forget how many books have been sold denigrating just that one successful black woman. Even Gladys Knight was using that 50 year old “ they kicked us off the tour because diana ross could not stand the competition “ nugget To get attention for her most recent album. That Story has had more performances than South Pacific!
    They weren't making it up and no one got sued! LOL!!!

Oh, I believe it’s true for sure - my point is that people use Ross for attention when they can’t generate enough interest about themselves. I most certainly do believe she had Gladys removed pronto!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    "Originally Posted by marv2 October 2016
    I don't even go into most Diana Ross threads on here."

lolololololol

Berry Gordy/Motown was very competitive with other labels/artists in the same label.

The times that occur when Love Hangover was released in 1976 was very different from NOW.

Back then, you had labels competing with different versions of the same song, sometimes once at a time, which is why a lot of lawsuits happened.

When Marilyn McLeod and Hal Davis first created Love Hangover, they had MARVIN GAYE in mind. But they figured correctly that Marvin wouldn't just sing a song just given to him [[otherwise, he just take it and turn it into something else; or as Smokey Robinson once said "Marvinize it") so they had Diana in mind.

Motown often would have artists using the same song too. The Fifth Dimension were not at their A-game at the time Motown issued their version. At all. This is when Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis had left them for a splinter career as a duo, singing "You Don't Have to Be a Star to Be In My Show". The Fifth Dimension was yesterday's news and had went from a label that had made them quality material to a label that had no means for them [[Motown).

And that's not to slight Motown because Motown was going through a huge financial mess at the time [[and Berry fighting against the IRS for back tax issues) but the Fifth Dimension entered a Motown that had lost its luster. At this point, the only artists keeping Motown afloat at this time was Marvin, Stevie Wonder and Diana Ross [[and to a smaller degree, Smokey Robinson). The Miracles had just left Motown despite the huge success of Love Machine a year before; the Temptations left that year for Atlantic; the Supremes were on their final legs, etc.

So entering a label that was getting beat by Philadelphia International often and also seeing disco taking over from the pop/R&B/soul sound that Motown helped to perfect a decade before, why does ANYONE in here think the Fifth Dimension had a decent chance to have a hit with this?

Motown put it out on Diana because they felt Diana was not connecting to the record public at that time. They felt she was too adult contemporary and needed to get Diana to a new generation [[disco fans). Motown was smart to put it out on Diana. Diana had a #1 hit the previous year, so they needed to continue the hit machine. It was a smart move looking back 41 years before. The Fifth Dimension had no chance to have a huge hit with it.

I don't know where Lamonte got it that Diana was calling the shots [[she obviously wasn't; her payroll was less than $250,000 when she left Motown in 1981; you'd think if she had that much control then, she'd be paid more, would she not?) but I see he's bitter that the group's obvious last chance to get back to the pop charts got stopped because BERRY and the Motown staff felt their version would not connect.

It was all Berry, I believe. Diana might've complained [[and it's possible she did), but Berry could've said "look Diana, this and that happens and you gotta deal with it". Berry was the one with the power to decide if someone should be in this position or not. If you're gonna blame anyone for why that person's version of that song didn't hit, it would be Berry.

I mean, let's flip it to a male artist doing the same thing. Let's say a group like, uh, the Elgins had recorded "How Sweet It Is", and it was released first and Berry Gordy decided "you know what, Marvin also has recorded this song and we're gonna release his too at the same time" and because he had a much bigger pull than the Elgins, he gets the hit, and then 50 years later, Sandra Edwards writes a book and says "Marvin was sneaky and told Berry to put his version out and he stole our hit". Would you believe it or just shrug it off?

In fact, that's exactly what Gladys Knight implied when Marvin's version of "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" was released [[despite the fact that Marvin's version was recorded before Gladys'). In fact, Gladys alleged that Marvin's version had used the instrumental for another Gladys song, which Marvin laughed off.

No one believed Gladys when she alleged Marvin stole her hit, but we're supposed to believe Diana stole the Fifth Dimension's? I mean if we're gonna call Diana a diva for what happened with Love Hangover, we should call Marvin a diva for what happened with Grapevine.

Just saying.
    Last edited by midnightman; 01-23-2018 at 08:22 PM.

Gladys did 3 interviews in one week and every one asked about it - every time she acted like “oh, how scandalous - you’re going there???” Her tv interview headline was not her new album, the dirt on her son’s restaurants, her career or upcoming dates - it was this 50 year old story that she HAD to have used for bait to get the interview. No way did 3 different interviewees just happen to ask about this all of the sudden. It IS a good story, though. Much like “Mary Wilson talks Supremes Reunion” just to find out it’s not happening. Why not , “Mary Wilson’s 16 Year Album Project Near Completion?’’ You know why. So does Gladys.

Or like when she brings up that Aretha rolled her eyes at her at the airplane shortly after their version of "Grapevine" became a hit lol

Gladys lives for the old drama haha

She did say that she and Diana made peace years later so there's that.

I love me some Miss Knight now but the truth's the truth. She also claimed she and the Pips were always considered less than other groups but besides from the Temptations, I don't know any other group in the late '60s that was vital to that label as Gladys Knight and the Pips were between 1967 and 1972. In fact, they were the second most popular group as far as CONSISTENT chart success after the Tempts [[with the Supremes - both DR&TS and post-DR - at a close third).

But that's another topic. We're just bringing it up as an example.
    Last edited by midnightman; 01-23-2018 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Berry Gordy/Motown was very competitive with other labels/artists in the same label.

The times that occur when Love Hangover was released in 1976 was very different from NOW.

Back then, you had labels competing with different versions of the same song, sometimes once at a time, which is why a lot of lawsuits happened.

When Marilyn McLeod and Hal Davis first created Love Hangover, they had MARVIN GAYE in mind. But they figured correctly that Marvin wouldn't just sing a song just given to him [[otherwise, he just take it and turn it into something else; or as Smokey Robinson once said "Marvinize it") so they had Diana in mind.

Motown often would have artists using the same song too. The Fifth Dimension were not at their A-game at the time Motown issued their version. At all. This is when Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis had left them for a splinter career as a duo, singing "You Don't Have to Be a Star to Be In My Show". The Fifth Dimension was yesterday's news and had went from a label that had made them quality material to a label that had no means for them [[Motown).

And that's not to slight Motown because Motown was going through a huge financial mess at the time [[and Berry fighting against the IRS for back tax issues) but the Fifth Dimension entered a Motown that had lost its luster. At this point, the only artists keeping Motown afloat at this time was Marvin, Stevie Wonder and Diana Ross [[and to a smaller degree, Smokey Robinson). The Miracles had just left Motown despite the huge success of Love Machine a year before; the Temptations left that year for Atlantic; the Supremes were on their final legs, etc.

So entering a label that was getting beat by Philadelphia International often and also seeing disco taking over from the pop/R&B/soul sound that Motown helped to perfect a decade before, why does ANYONE in here think the Fifth Dimension had a decent chance to have a hit with this?

Motown put it out on Diana because they felt Diana was not connecting to the record public at that time. They felt she was too adult contemporary and needed to get Diana to a new generation [[disco fans). Motown was smart to put it out on Diana. Diana had a #1 hit the previous year, so they needed to continue the hit machine. It was a smart move looking back 41 years before. The Fifth Dimension had no chance to have a huge hit with it.

I don't know where Lamonte got it that Diana was calling the shots [[she obviously wasn't; her payroll was less than $250,000 when she left Motown in 1981; you'd think if she had that much control then, she'd be paid more, would she not?) but I see he's bitter that the group's obvious last chance to get back to the pop charts got stopped because BERRY and the Motown staff felt their version would not connect.

It was all Berry, I believe. Diana might've complained [[and it's possible she did), but Berry could've said "look Diana, this and that happens and you gotta deal with it". Berry was the one with the power to decide if someone should be in this position or not. If you're gonna blame anyone for why that person's version of that song didn't hit, it would be Berry.

I mean, let's flip it to a male artist doing the same thing. Let's say a group like, uh, the Elgins had recorded "How Sweet It Is", and it was released first and Berry Gordy decided "you know what, Marvin also has recorded this song and we're gonna release his too at the same time" and because he had a much bigger pull than the Elgins, he gets the hit, and then 50 years later, Sandra Edwards writes a book and says "Marvin was sneaky and told Berry to put his version out and he stole our hit". Would you believe it or just shrug it off?

In fact, that's exactly what Gladys Knight implied when Marvin's version of "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" was released [[despite the fact that Marvin's version was recorded before Gladys'). In fact, Gladys alleged that Marvin's version had used the instrumental for another Gladys song, which Marvin laughed off.

No one believed Gladys when she alleged Marvin stole her hit, but we're supposed to believe Diana stole the Fifth Dimension's? I mean if we're gonna call Diana a diva for what happened with Love Hangover, we should call Marvin a diva for what happened with Grapevine.

Just saying.
    the 5th Dimension didn’t sign with Motown until 1977 or 78. Love Hangover was issued, I believe, on Bell. All that Gladys Grapevine crap is so petty and tired. Both versions rock, but Marvin’s was bigger - does that take anything away from her huge success? Marvin’s has stood the test of time and 50 years later remains iconic. Gladys’ is basically forgotten - but she has Midnight Train that she gives no credit to Cisco Houston for. Just sayin.......

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Or like when she brings up that Aretha rolled her eyes at her at the airplane shortly after their version of "Grapevine" became a hit lol

Gladys lives for the old drama haha

She did say that she and Diana made peace years later so there's that.

I love me some Miss Knight now but the truth's the truth. She also claimed she and the Pips were always considered less than other groups but besides from the Temptations, I don't know any other group in the late '60s that was vital to that label as Gladys Knight and the Pips were between 1967 and 1972. In fact, they were the second most popular group as far as CONSISTENT chart success after the Tempts [[with the Supremes - both DR&TS and post-DR - at a close third).

But that's another topic. We're just bringing it up as an example.
    she just loves to whine and complain, but what a voice - the best female voice Motown ever had IMO.

Gladys [[and the He-Man Wimmin/Diana-Hatin' Club members herealso 'forget' that Gladys 'stole' MTTG from Cissy Houston. But that does not fit into their narrative, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Unless any of us were present, we can't know what is truth and what isn't. Just because a lawsuit isn't brought doesn't mean what was said is true. If your train of thought is along these lines, then am I safe in assuming that you believe all the nasty things Tony Turner wrote about Mary Wilson in his books? Because I have yet to hear Mary threaten a lawsuit. Most of these kinds of books get written and the writers can just about allege anything, especially if they say someone told them. You certainly have extreme cases that do get legal attention, such as when Tony Turner planned to write a book about Berry Gordy molesting him. Pedophilia and immature young adult antics are two very different things.

And Tony Turner wrote TONS of stories that defamed Mary but she didn't entertain a lawsuit.

Had one story calling her a pampered diva getting into fights with Eddie, David and Martha. Tony was like what Media Take Out is NOW.

the 5th Dimension didn’t sign with Motown until 1977 or 78. Love Hangover was issued, I believe, on Bell. All that Gladys Grapevine crap is so petty and tired. Both versions rock, but Marvin’s was bigger - does that take anything away from her huge success? Marvin’s has stood the test of time and 50 years later remains iconic. Gladys’ is basically forgotten - but she has Midnight Train that she gives no credit to Cisco Houston for. Just sayin.......
    OK, so they were on another label. So that just goes with my first sentence that Motown was in competition with other labels and it wasn't just simple for other labels to use the same song. I had forgotten when 5D joined Motown so thanks for clarifying. So they were on their last legs at Bell when their version of "Hangover" came out. As for Sylvester's version, I don't think it ever came out. It must've been just a performance Martha was talking about since I don't know if he ever did a recording of it.

Then again, everyone wants to claim they recorded a song before Motown touched it. LOL

Gladys did 3 interviews in one week and every one asked about it - every time she acted like “oh, how scandalous - you’re going there???” Her tv interview headline was not her new album, the dirt on her son’s restaurants, her career or upcoming dates - it was this 50 year old story that she HAD to have used for bait to get the interview. No way did 3 different interviewees just happen to ask about this all of the sudden. It IS a good story, though. Much like “Mary Wilson talks Supremes Reunion” just to find out it’s not happening. Why not , “Mary Wilson’s 16 Year Album Project Near Completion?’’ You know why. So does Gladys.
    Maniac I love ya, but I can't take you seriously at this point. Gladys Knight is a indisputable LEGEND. She does not need Diana Ross to have folks pay attention to her, anymore than Diana would need some other woman in order for folks to pay attention to her. Come on now. You know as well as I do that the interviewer asks a question and the interviewer/producer/network sets the headline. And in today's media, sadly, drama and controversy is what the press/media goes for. And if the story is picked up once, other outlets typically follow with the same line of questioning. That's the nature of the biz. If you expect me to believe that Gladys wakes up in the morning and instructs her people to line up interviews so she can talk about Diana Ross...I can't. I won't. This "everybody hates Diana" stuff from the pro Ross crowd is as weak as the "everybody hates Diana" stuff from the pro Wilson crowd, albeit for a different reason of course.

^ I don't believe that either lol

I'm with ya, RanRan!

Mary was fairly lawsuit happy at the time and I believe she did sing Reflections to her coke pusher for more powder or she would have sued or threatened to. So what? No one writes dirt on themselves - including Diana. She didn’t tell about still seeing Eddie Kendricks after he was married. I give Ross credit for one thing, she didn’t use her book to diss others. Might have been a better read if she had! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Maniac I love ya, but I can't take you seriously at this point. Gladys Knight is a indisputable LEGEND. She does not need Diana Ross to have folks pay attention to her, anymore than Diana would need some other woman in order for folks to pay attention to her. Come on now. You know as well as I do that the interviewer asks a question and the interviewer/producer/network sets the headline. And in today's media, sadly, drama and controversy is what the press/media goes for. And if the story is picked up once, other outlets typically follow with the same line of questioning. That's the nature of the biz. If you expect me to believe that Gladys wakes up in the morning and instructs her people to line up interviews so she can talk about Diana Ross...I can't. I won't. This "everybody hates Diana" stuff from the pro Ross crowd is as weak as the "everybody hates Diana" stuff from the pro Wilson crowd, albeit for a different reason of course.
    Hey - I’m not pro-ross but I love her. I love Gladys. I do not believe that those three interviewers just happened to bring that topic up when the previous 500 did not. One? Sure. Two??? MAYBE. Three in one week??? NFW!!! But we can disagree, it’s cool.

And I don’t think everyone hates Diana at all. Just a very vocal minority.

Hold on everyone we’re getting way off topic.

Fifth Dimension's version was released on ABC Records [[I think it was a new label for them) and appeared on the Billboard chart the same week, April 3, 1976, as Diana Ross' version. I had [[or maybe still have) the single. It is very good but not as satisfying as DR's version. I never heard it on the radio, at the time.

I recall reading that 5D's producer spoke to DR's producer about LH to see if Motown would be releasing her version as a single. He was told probably not, seeing that her new single was just released. So 5D recorded LH. I imagine Motown quickly learned about this and made their move. When DR's version was released by Motown, 5D were annoyed saying they would not have gone to the expense of recording their version if they had known Motown had plans to release DR's. They obviously knew who would win that chart battle!

At this point ITITALT was only on the Billboard charts for 3 weeks. It stalled in the third week because LH was released.

I think Motown missed the ball by waiting too long to release ITITALT, once Theme from Mahogany started moving down from the Top 10. It could have been released in early February, as opposed to mid-March. I recall they released the single at the same time as her new album. Had they released the single first and waited, even a month, to release the album maybe ITITALT would have charted at least Top Ten. In addition, to any observers, LH would have definitely looked like DR's next single and there might not have been any attempt to "steal" her song.

I definitely believe Diana Ross could have been very assertive about wanting LH released - NOW! She was probably interested in having a fun uptempo song on the charts, and in her concerts, rather than another ballad, regardless of how lovely the song.
    Last edited by johnjeb; 01-24-2018 at 12:09 AM.

Diana had the hits and the career right through to 4 Billboard charts this week

So she's worth writing about in your books and talking about on tv - otherwise no one listens or buys

42 years after one song hit #1 - people write and talk about such an event!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    Fifth Dimension's version was released on ABC Records [[I think it was a new label for them) and appeared on the Billboard chart the same week, April 3, 1976, as Diana Ross' version. I had [[or maybe still have) the single. It is very good but not as satisfying as DR's version. I never heard it on the radio, at the time.

I recall reading that 5D's producer spoke to DR's producer about LH to see if Motown would be releasing her version as a single. He was told probably not, seeing that her new single was just released. Do you recall where you read this?? So 5D recorded LH. I imagine Motown quickly learned about this and made their move. When DR's version was released by Motown, 5D were annoyed saying they would not have gone to the expense of recording their version if they had known Motown had plans to release DR's. They obviously knew who would win that chart battle!

At this point ITITALT was only on the Billboard charts for 3 weeks. It stalled in the third week because LH was released.

I think Motown missed the ball by waiting too long to release ITITALT, once Theme from Mahogany started moving down from the Top 10. It could have been released in early February, as opposed to mid-March. I recall they released the single at the same time as her new album. Had they released the single first and waited, even a month, to release the album maybe ITITALT would have charted at least Top Ten. In addition, to any observers, LH would have definitely looked like DR's next single and there might not have been any attempt to "steal" her song.

I definitely believe Diana Ross could have been very assertive about wanting LH released - NOW! She was probably interested in having a fun uptempo song on the charts, and in her concerts, rather than another ballad, regardless of how lovely the song.
    This is a good account johnjeb. One thing though, Diana's LP was released in February [[February 10th).

I believe you are correct about the two producers talking to each other , which then lead to this whole fiasco . Hal Davis, who produced Diana's version, and Marc Gordon were close friends from having worked as collaborators with each other for years at Motown in the 1960s. Marc Gordon was now the Fifth Dimension's manager as well as Fifth Dimension member Florence La Rue's husband, so he had doubly heavy stakes in the success of the group. Their first LP [[ Jimmy Webb produced) on ABC had bombed and then Billy Davis Jr. and Marilyn McCoo left the group so they were desperately trying to regroup and get a foothold.

Likely Lamonte McLemore did hear LOVE HANGOVER , liked it , commented on it, and Marc Gordon knowing Hal Davis so well, called him about it. Perhaps Motown had given Hal Davis negative feedback about LOVE HANGOVER and so he was of the opinion it would not be a single. They certainly hadn't picked it right out of the box. In this way, Hal Davis may have given the Fifth Dimension the green light to make a run of it with LOVE HANGOVER. Marc Gordon produced this himself which he hadn't been doing for the Fifth Dimension for years.

Trouble is , Diana's album came out in February and the disco DJ's immediately latched on to the seven minute plus version of LOVE HANGOVER found there. It was an instant club smash and at that point Motown couldn't ignore it if they wanted to catch its wave.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 01-24-2018 at 03:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post

So she's worth writing about in your books and talking about on tv - otherwise no one listens or buys

42 years after one song hit #1 - people write and talk about such an event!!!!
    So true. Yet, how else could we have learned that Mary Wilson's drug dealer gave her more blow so she'd stop singing to him? Or something like that. This thread strayed a tad & had lotso' adds by posters I block so ...

Boogietown's post seems more accurate to WHAT REALLY HAPPENED.

I forgot Motown had such a low opinion of Love Hangover lol [[also Diana thought disco music was great but not something she thought would last; think she said something to the effect she didn't wanna be part of a fad; same with Marvin)

So it seems what really happened with LH was due to Marc Gordon and Hal Davis having this back and forth over which version was gonna be a hit and since Davis claimed to Marc Motown didn't like LH that much, Marc thought he had won.

But then the discos were like "no, we like the DR version!" So I guess the rest is history. Can't deny a hit when you hear it.

So it's neither Diana's nor Berry's fault. The DJs were why LH blew up.

As it should, it's a landmark recording in the history of disco music.

Mary was fairly lawsuit happy at the time and I believe she did sing Reflections to her coke pusher for more powder or she would have sued or threatened to. So what? No one writes dirt on themselves - including Diana. She didn’t tell about still seeing Eddie Kendricks after he was married. I give Ross credit for one thing, she didn’t use her book to diss others. Might have been a better read if she had! LOL
    I wouldn't trust Tony Turner to tell me what time of day it is, let alone believe a story about an original Supreme singing songs for dope. But Mary didn't sue him, so my question to Marv is does that mean he believes the stories Tony told about Mary? And maybe someone with legal expertise can shed some light here, but aren't these kinds of suits extremely hard to prove? It basically comes down to one person's word against another. Seems pretty common in the entertainment business to let gossipy anecdotes ride as it's not worth the legal fees to fight.

Hey - I’m not pro-ross but I love her. I love Gladys. I do not believe that those three interviewers just happened to bring that topic up when the previous 500 did not. One? Sure. Two??? MAYBE. Three in one week??? NFW!!! But we can disagree, it’s cool.

And I don’t think everyone hates Diana at all. Just a very vocal minority.
    But that's the thing: it only takes one. That's one of the points I was trying to make. If an interviewer brings up something juicy that captures the public's attention, others will follow suit because they know what will get the views, likes and shares. Now you're saying it's three interviews, but I only saw the one with Sway. What were the others?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post

Yeah, if you're Mary Wilson or Martha Reeves. Not if you're Gladys Knight. Gladys is one of the most respected vocalists of all time. And a successful one at that. Her classic hits are spun just as much today as Diana Ross'. She does not need to use anyone's name to garner attention. I saw the woman on The Chew one day. She didn't mention Diana Ross' name once and I don't think anyone in the audience or any of the cooks present were even thinking about Diana. I've only heard Gladys talk about Diana in one interview and I've read her account in her book. Even if there are a handful of other occasions where Gladys has spoken about this incident, when you think about the tons of interviews a legend of Gladys' caliber has done over the last 20 years, I think it's safe to say Gladys doesn't need Ross to make people pay attention to her. I know that Martha Reeves seems to get asked a ton about Diana Ross but as legendary as Martha is, it should come as no surprise that interviewers [[and the public) might be a bit more interested in Diva Drama than they are in Martha remembering her last significant chart hit in 1967 or Martha's tales of traveling back and forth to England over the last 30 years where she seems to be more appreciated than here at home. Sucks, but I get it. Gladys? Come on now. Y'all killing me!

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    But that's the thing: it only takes one. That's one of the points I was trying to make. If an interviewer brings up something juicy that captures the public's attention, others will follow suit because they know what will get the views, likes and shares. Now you're saying it's three interviews, but I only saw the one with Sway. What were the others?
    I recall seeing one on THE INSIDER and one on a show called ENTERTAINMENT 360, I believe. On THE INSIDER, Gladys came off the same as she did with Sway: just telling the story as it happened but ending with how they discussed it at the Legends Ball and that they had to grow up. On the other show, she seemed somewhat angry and didn't come across as warm.

I remember being rather disappointed. THE INSIDER aired right when she was releasing a new single [[JUST A LITTLE). Yet her new release received little mention because they devoted most of the piece to the Diana story. The other appearance came when Gladys was promoting her last album, WHERE MY HEART BELONGS, but the story didn't dominate the appearance.
    Last edited by reese; 01-24-2018 at 12:13 PM.

Keep the thread on topic, guys.

Boogiedown, I do not recall where I read the info about the two producers discussing LH. It probably was around the time the singles were released or within a few years. I'm pretty sure it was an interview with Hal Davis. I probably have it with memorabilia in the attic. Back then I looked at lots of magazines such as Billboard, Goldmine, Soul, R&B World, Jet and anything that featured Motown and its' artists and music.

Thanks for the correction on the album release date. I had the Expanded Edition out to check something else for my post and should have referenced the booklet for that info, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I remember being rather disappointed. THE INSIDER aired right when she was releasing a new single [[JUST A LITTLE). Yet her new release received little mention because they devoted most of the piece to the Diana story. The other appearance came when Gladys was promoting her last album, WHERE MY HEART BELONGS, but the story didn't dominate the appearance.
    Thanks for your recollection about the other interviews Reese. The above paragraph also illustrates the issue I have with the idea that Gladys Knight would think to use a 1960s issue with Diana Ross for publicity. You have a new release to promote and when the promotion airs, it's all about a 50 year old incident? Gladys has been in the game long enough to know better. If you want people to talk about your music in order to sale a song or an album, you don't suggest to the interviewer to talk about things not connected to the promotion. Gladys is not a newbie nor is she desperate.

Thanks once again
    Dylan for transcribing!

Quote Originally Posted by dylan View Post

----

----

I brought this back up because what struck me most in LaMonte's retelling is his utter disregard that there was something unseemly about ripping off someone else's song . Even if it somehow seemed right at the time , once knowing that Diana wasn't happy about it one bit , you'd think that reflecting now all these years later Lamonte might concede , "ya , that was kind of stanky of us . No matter how much I loved the song at the time , and would have loved to have had a hit with it, it was rightfully an achievement of yours Miss Ross, and I apologize ."

But I don't read anything like that in LaMonte's recounting. He refers to it repeatedly as "our single" and seems to think by getting it released first it had rightfully become their song, and seems annoyed that Diana dared to jump in to claim it as hers.

As far as appearing at Diana's show not too long after, how did he expect to be received? If I were Diana , I'd have taken it a step further and while bright in that spotlight, had them escorted out , saying with that 'snarly smile', "I don't want to risk losing any more of my material. I'm sure you understand" .
    lol!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-06-2018 at 01:56 AM.

I'm 50/50 on this one....I think the 5th re-recorded Love Hangover for Ian Levine's
    project....
    Last edited by gman; 02-06-2018 at 06:35 AM.

The Fifth Dimension got their own legacy. It seems kinda rude of LaMonte to try to claim Love Hangover LOL

It would've been like the Miracles trying to claim I Heard It Through the Grapevine since they recorded it first haha

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    I'm 50/50 on this one....I think the 5th re-recorded Love Hangover for Ian Levine's
    project....
    I went into my S&M [[Soul & Motown) CD binder and they did rerecord this for Ian Levine. It is on Motor City Dance Party Vol.5. this was a 1990 5 CD set issued here in the states by Quality...the 5 discs were sold separately.
    The notes state Florence LaRue sings the hook that was missing in DR's version.
    This 5 CD collection was a good set to get....many of the sets 75 songs are in extended 12" length. This set introduced me to many of the early and lesser known Motown folks.

Found a disco 45 long version of Hangover by the 5th on You Tube. Poster said this about the song..

How did this version come about? Well, Diana and Motown were not enthusiastic about disco, thinking it was a passing fad. The focus was to turn her into the black Barbra Streisand and this song did not fit into the plans. She had to be coaxed into recording it with vodka and ended up doing a damn good job! The song was added to her 1976 LP "Diana Ross" probably to give it more texture and show off her versatility. In any case, it was not considered for single release. Then the members of the Fifth Dimension who had recently lost Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis Jr picked up on the buzz coming from the clubs got over Diana's album track. They went into the studio and recorded their version with the idea that they would fill the need for a single. Florence LaRue handled the lead vocals here. When Motown got wind of that news, they rush released Diana's song and both versions debuted the same week. Everyone knows that Diana reached #1 and the Fifth Dimension, well, it peaked at #80. They never recovered and never had another pop hit. The only way to get the disco version is on the promotional 7" single, and that took me some doing to get my paws on a clean copy on vinyl to digitize. So give it a listen. Back in da day, clubs played both versions to change it up.

I have to say....I never really cared for the fast part of the song. The beginning of DR version I like....it's sultry. I find the disco galloping part very monotonous.