[REMOVE ADS]

What Record Did You Think Was By Someone Else?

Following through on the 'never cared for' thread and having heard this song on the radio today ... When first played I thought 'Right Back Where We Started From' was a new solo 45 by Martha Reeves. Additionally the first time or two that I heard 'It's A Heartache' I thought the singer was Melanie. Anybody have any similar stories?

Good question! I'm gonna get laughed at for this but; I thought that "One Bad Apple" was by The Jackson 5 [[until I saw The Osmond Bros. LP with the featuring the hit "One Bad Apple" sticker at the record store).

When I was a kid, I heard Margie Joseph's LET'S STAY TOGETHER on the radio and thought it was a new release by Aretha Franklin. For years, I wondered why I couldn't find this rare Aretha recording. It wasn't until the 90s that I found out that it was Margie.

The first time I heard Jean Carn, I thought I was listening to a Brenda Holloway recording. I can't remember which track it was though.

I thought, when I first heard Taylor Dayne's "I'll Always Love You," "Wow, Angela Bofill's getting love from top 40 radio!"

When i first heard[mamma's little baby]i thought it was the jackson 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Good question! I'm gonna get laughed at for this but; I thought that "One Bad Apple" was by The Jackson 5 [[until I saw The Osmond Bros. LP with the featuring the hit "One Bad Apple" sticker at the record store).
    Ha! Absurd as it seems now, at the time that was a common misconception!

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I thought, when I first heard Taylor Dayne's "I'll Always Love You," "Wow, Angela Bofill's getting love from top 40 radio!"
    Interesting; I had not matched the sound before but can definitely hear a similarity now that you mention it -

When Love Is New....I always thought it was Jerry Butler or Les Baxter, I was wrong....it was Arthur Prysock's version I so adored and still do..... wow, what a song and version!

Same thing for Frances Nero's "Keep On Loving Me" - I thought that was Kim or Brenda

Not a singer, but when the band Odyssey came out with their cover of the song Inside Out, I thought that the bassist was Mark Adams of Slave because the actual bassist cribbed his sound to perfection. It was at once a great song but it also made me feel dirty to enjoy it.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  21.1 KB
    When I first heard "A Little Bit of Soap" by The Jarmels, I thought it was The Drifters, with Ben E. King on lead.

I, too thought "One Bad Apple" and also a song by The Sylvers, were by The Jackson Five.

When I first heard Earl Grant, I thought he was Nat "King" Cole.

When I first heard "Walk Softly Away" by The Starglows, I thought they were The Flamingos.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Not a singer, but when the band Odyssey came out with their cover of the song Inside Out, I thought that the bassist was Mark Adams of Slave because the actual bassist cribbed his sound to perfection. It was at once a great song but it also made me feel dirty to enjoy it.
    Well Jerry Oz, the Odyssey song WAS produced by Jimmy Douglass [[who co-produced Slave's "Watching You" which had a very similar bassline) so maybe it was the members of SLAVE who were doing the instrumentation after all ...

One that totally fooled me for a few weeks was a song called "Moving Too Fast" that was a big UK hit around 1999 ... I was convinced that it was the new STEPHANIE MILLS record ... one look at the video and it's obvious that it wasn't her singing at all, but the voices are soooo similar ...

Roger

Thanks for that info, Roger. I recall Mark Adams being miffed that other bassists were trying to sound like him at the time, so I assumed that the best example of it was the Odyssey record. There's been a lot of discussion among bass aficionados about it and for some reason, nobody associated with the track will confirm or deny who it was. Here's something that I found on the web that indicates that it was not Adams:

It was around the 1982 that Slave began to venture outside the Slave Organization, from a musical standpoint. Jimmy Douglas who produced their debut album also produced Odyssey’s track “Inside Out”. From the minute I heard it, I knew that the members from Slave were on this track. Obviously the track is a bite off of “Watching You”. The odd thing [[I just found out today), is that there was differences of opinion in the bass guitar community regarding who actually bass on this track – Mark or another bassist trying to cop Mark’s style. Here’s a thread from prince.org that talks that controversy.

Here’s what Curt Jones of Aurra had to say to me:

Hey brother, I wasn’t involved in that, by then we were either working on or had released Are U Single. The sound of the bass is unmistakably Mark Adams, his sound and touch was unique. Sorry i think the only one who really knows all about that is Jimmy Douglas.
    Stay well brotha. Peace.
    Here’s the video, take a listen: “Inside Out”.

Note: It has been confirmed to me via written dialogue [[indirectly), by an ex-member of Slave, that it was NOT Mark Adams on “Inside Out”, but bassist Sandy Anderson from Unlimited Touch. Why Jimmy Douglas chose Sandy and not Mark is [[now) a story only Jimmy [[probably) can confirm. My final say on it…if you listen close enough [[especially on the bass solo breakdown), you will hear that it is not “the great Mark Adams”.
    BTW, this sort of conversation is why I love this forum. Wish we had more of it.
    Last edited by Jerry Oz; 01-23-2018 at 04:03 PM.

I thought Smokey Robinson’s “Being With You” was Sade.

I thought Sam Smith’s “Stay With Me” was by Tyrese. Likewise, the first time I heard Robin Thicke, I thought it was Maxwell.

The first time I heard Jesse Belvin, I assumed it was Nat “King” Cole.

I thought It was George Jetson singing on Heatwave’s “Always and Forever! [[I was only seven, LOL)

Thanks for that info, Roger. I recall Mark Adams being miffed that other bassists were trying to sound like him at the time, so I assumed that the best example of it was the Odyssey record. There's been a lot of discussion among bass aficionados about it and for some reason, nobody associated with the track will confirm or deny who it was. Here's something that I found on the web that indicates that it was not Adams:

BTW, this sort of conversation is why I love this forum. Wish we had more of it.
    I'm lovin' the responses because they are leading me to listen anew and/or first time - great responses.

... and a random memory of playing the first Stylistics lp [[endlessly!!) and my mom asking if it were new Dionne Warwick!

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    ... and a random memory of playing the first Stylistics lp [[endlessly!!) and my mom asking if it were new Dionne Warwick!
    Ha! For some reason, my mom thought The Emotions’ “I Don’t Wanna Lose Your Love” was Diana!

I didn't get them confused, but R. Kelly sure seemed to mimic Aaron Hall [[of Guy) on his first record. A guy who worked for me grew up with him and told me that he used to sing on street corners in Chicago while doing his level best to sound like just Hall. Kelly's second album was in the same vein but he became his own guy after that.

Tom Jones???

[[ I love that Arthur Prysock song too! I was sure I was alone on that one!!lol!)

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Ha! For some reason, my mom thought The Emotions’ “I Don’t Wanna Lose Your Love” was Diana!
    Now there was that one time in the early '90s when I woke up after midnight [[and a bit of a bender ...) with one of the home shopping channels on cable and could not decide if I was watching Johnny Mathis or Dionne Warwick sell ... whatever they were selling. Still don't know.

When I first heard Margie Joseph's version of "Stop In The Name Of Love" [[1971), I thought it was The Supremes [[Jean/Mary/Cindy)- I even thought,"What a great Idea to have this line-up record a radically different version of a song from the group's past."
    Also...
    When I first heard Whitney Houston's "I Have Nothing" [[1992), I remember thinking, "I don't know who this is but, she is giving Whitney a run for her money!" Whitney better watch-out!" Duh!

By the way,
    PeaceNHarmony,
    Your post above mine is hilarious!
    'Can't stop laughing...

When I first heard Culture Club's "Church of the Poisoned Mind", I thought it might be the Miracles.

I was standing outside a record store when I first heard 'Sisters Are Doing It For Themselves' and thought that Aretha had recorded a duet with either Erma or Carolyn!

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 601
    When I first heard "A Little Bit of Soap" by The Jarmels, I thought it was The Drifters, with Ben E. King on lead.

I, too thought "One Bad Apple" and also a song by The Sylvers, were by The Jackson Five.

When I first heard Earl Grant, I thought he was Nat "King" Cole.

When I first heard "Walk Softly Away" by The Starglows, I thought they were The Flamingos.
    Hi Robb; I'm with you on "A Little Bit Of Soap" since it does have that Ben E. King & the Drifters style. I think the song that The Sylvers did that reminds me the most of The Jackson 5 is the Foster Sylvers release "Misdemeanor" [[from 1973).

Here's another one; I first thought that Black Ivory's "Don't Turn Around" was by The Moments.

When I was a kid, I thought that Arthur Conley's "Sweet Soul Music" was done by Wilson Pickett.

When I first heard this, I thought The Impressions.... The Icemen

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    When I first heard this, I thought The Impressions.... The Icemen

Views: 449
    I don't think this sounds at all like The Impressions, in any way.

When I was a kid, I thought that Arthur Conley's "Sweet Soul Music" was done by Wilson Pickett.
Views: 510
    I don't think that Arthur Conley sounded at all like Wilson Pickett.

Here's another one; I first thought that Black Ivory's "Don't Turn Around" was by The Moments.
Views: 473
    Ha! Ha! To me, ALL the Philly-NJ "Cissy Soul" [[falsetto Soul ballads) sounds alike.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 510
    I don't think that Arthur Conley sounded at all like Wilson Pickett.
    I had a brain fart. I forgot that the version of Land of 1000 Dances that sounds like Wilson Picket was the one sung by Wilson Pickett.

When I first heard "Up In A Puff of Smoke" by Polly Brown, I thought it was Jean Terrell.

I thought Whitney Houston;s How Will I Know? was The Pointer Sisters. I also thought Johnny Bristol;s Hang On in There Baby was. Barry White. And Gloria Gaynor's Never Can Say Good Bye was Diana Ross. Go figure

For the longest time I thought Foster Sylvers' Misdemeanor was from the Jackson 5 or MJ solo.

That was before Music Choice, mind ya.

I also thought Surface's Closer Than Friends was from Boy George since he had an R&B hit out at the same time as they did [[Put My Mind on a Trip). Again I was like 5 so...lol

I thought Oh Sheila was performed by Prince, not Ready For The World.

According to MJ’s autobiography, some of their own relatives thought it was them too!

One More: I thought that Millie Jackson's "A Child Of God" was sung by Gladys Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Following through on the 'never cared for' thread and having heard this song on the radio today ... When first played I thought 'Right Back Where We Started From' was a new solo 45 by Martha Reeves. Additionally the first time or two that I heard 'It's A Heartache' I thought the singer was Melanie. Anybody have any similar stories?
    I actually thought it was by the Supremes [[Mary, Scherrie and Cindy) at the time.

I've thought for years - before internet radio revealed who did it - Blue Magic's "Stop To Start" was the Stylistics

I'm almost embarassed to admit that when i first heard[i'll erase away your pain]i thought it was the miracles.