[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    to even suggest Lynda was the problem is ludicrous. Not only has Mary stated how bad Jean became, but I witnessed first hand the tensions between Jean and Mary before Lynda joined and Cindy was thrilled to not be in the middle of ANOTHER power struggle. In Chicago in 1972, Jean seemed to be trying to piss Mary off and I know Lynda was surprised at the acrimony when she joined. Mary was trying hard to advance her position in the group and Jean wasn’t having it. She had not signed on to share leads with anyone. I’m not casting blame here as both ladies had their agendas, but Jean was very bitchy and unprofessional to Mary and no amount of spin or revisionism can change that. Leaving NYC without telling Mary was enough to show what a problem Jean was. Not enough? Stepping all over Mary on Model Of The Year is another. Jean was always nice to the fans, but she could be hellish otherwise. And was. Mary was always a trouble maker with her trying to get group members “on her side” which began in fall 1967, but she was never as rude and unprofessional as Jean could be. And, like Mary, it’s always someone else’s fault - Motown, Jean, Lynda, Cindy, Diana, Flo, Berry, Susaye......... see the pattern? There are no innocents here .......but that more than includes Mary.
    I'm grateful for Jean as a Supreme from a musical standpoint. She's such an awesome vocalist. Easily one of my favorite voices ever. And I get what attracted Gordy to the idea of Jean taking Diana's place in the group. Jean and Diana had two different sounds but they had the ability to affect the listener in similar ways. All the stuff Diana sang lead on as a Supreme- particularly once they hit big- Jean could have done with a similar effect. Jean, like Diana, could sing just about anything and make it work. Vocally, she was a perfect replacement for Diana. But with everything considered, it was probably in everyone's best interest if Jean had signed with Motown as a solo act and someone else [[not Syreeta) had stepped into Diana's shoes. [[I realize they were already contracted by Invictus, but whatever Motown wanted, they got, didn't they? So my favorite choices to take over for Diana was either Freda Payne or Edna Wright.) It wouldn't surprise me a bit to learn that Jean resented sharing the lead with Mary. Let's not forget that much of the music business is driven by ego. Why should Jean be any different? She may have thought that the Supremes would be her launching pad like Diana. And then, what, like a year or so into the group and suddenly she's sharing leads on singles with Mary Wilson [[whom we know isn't always regarded as a highly skilled singer...an opinion I do not share, btw)? She may have had an issue with that. She also may have had an issue with any "I'm the leader because I'm an original" mentality that Mary may have expressed. IMO Mary earned the right to have that mentality, but when dealing with a Jean Terrell, who may have had a hard time being "led" by anyone, I could see it not going down too smoothly. But that's life, isn't it? Wherever you find people you'll find conflict. It's just sad that so often where the Supremes were concerned, these conflicts could never resolve themselves. They just got bigger and bigger until there was an explosion. And that explosion usually ended with someone's exit.

‘I would love to hear that as this track seems well suited to Mary, although Jean is fine on it. I disagree that this is a radio gem of any era, it goes nowhere and the chorus is mundane. Could be a nice album track, but single? NFW. Have you ever heard a Jean or Mary track that wasn’t fantastic and a lost hit? Ever?
    I agree about the chorus. It definitely needed to be re-worked. But everything else about it is fine. No reason for me to think it didn't stand a chance. I just looked at the list of number one hot 100 hits for 1973. "Slow Days" is a much better song IMO than some of the cuts that topped the charts. I dig the Carpenters, but "Top of the World"? Don't make me gag.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I agree about the chorus. It definitely needed to be re-worked. But everything else about it is fine. No reason for me to think it didn't stand a chance. I just looked at the list of number one hot 100 hits for 1973. "Slow Days" is a much better song IMO than some of the cuts that topped the charts. I dig the Carpenters, but "Top of the World"? Don't make me gag.
    i don’t care for Top Of The World at all, but it’s a better produced record, has a proven sound that was already a radio staple and a melody that you could hum or singalong with if you like that sort of thing. This Supremes track seems raw and in need of a re-write before a new demo is warranted. This didn’t work, which is why I’m sure they bailed on it.

No f#cking way
    Ouch! I'll let it go at that.

I'm grateful for Jean as a Supreme from a musical standpoint. She's such an awesome vocalist. Easily one of my favorite voices ever. And I get what attracted Gordy to the idea of Jean taking Diana's place in the group. Jean and Diana had two different sounds but they had the ability to affect the listener in similar ways. All the stuff Diana sang lead on as a Supreme- particularly once they hit big- Jean could have done with a similar effect. Jean, like Diana, could sing just about anything and make it work. Vocally, she was a perfect replacement for Diana. But with everything considered, it was probably in everyone's best interest if Jean had signed with Motown as a solo act and someone else [[not Syreeta) had stepped into Diana's shoes. [[I realize they were already contracted by Invictus, but whatever Motown wanted, they got, didn't they? So my favorite choices to take over for Diana was either Freda Payne or Edna Wright.) It wouldn't surprise me a bit to learn that Jean resented sharing the lead with Mary. Let's not forget that much of the music business is driven by ego. Why should Jean be any different? She may have thought that the Supremes would be her launching pad like Diana. And then, what, like a year or so into the group and suddenly she's sharing leads on singles with Mary Wilson [[whom we know isn't always regarded as a highly skilled singer...an opinion I do not share, btw)? She may have had an issue with that. She also may have had an issue with any "I'm the leader because I'm an original" mentality that Mary may have expressed. IMO Mary earned the right to have that mentality, but when dealing with a Jean Terrell, who may have had a hard time being "led" by anyone, I could see it not going down too smoothly. But that's life, isn't it? Wherever you find people you'll find conflict. It's just sad that so often where the Supremes were concerned, these conflicts could never resolve themselves. They just got bigger and bigger until there was an explosion. And that explosion usually ended with someone's exit.
    Jean was great, but she stepped into a dream that was not what she expected. She didn’t know how little a mega group like The Supremes earned VS their gross, didn’t expect Mary to assert leadership and didn’t expect to be hounded about questions concerning her predecessor. Once Ross blew up in 72-73, Jean could no longer continue to feel superior to her, as I believe she did, as Ross had left The Supremes in the dust while Jean was still being asked about her. Mary, of course, blames everyone but herself and just couldn’t bear the thought that the New group just didn’t click - or, if she did, certainly wasn’t going to admit it. Mary very much wanted to show Diana that The Supremes could get along without her, when it didn’t happen, she blamed Motown - unaware that years later there would be substantial proof to the contrary. When I saw JMC in Chicago the second time, they were already sharing the bill with a Ray Charles - with the hits, tv exposure and everything, they had already slipped at the box office and that cannot be blamed on lack of promotion. It was around this time that Jean was starting to crab in interviews. Diana may be a villainess, I wasn’t around for that personally, but what I witnessed in the 70s showed two singers going at each other and I can see both sides. I do know this: every problem every grouping had shared one common denominator: Mary. If Cindy’s Book ever comes out, she will shed a new light on much of the turmoil in the groups.

I dont know who who would have been better than Jean, sometimes you just can’t replace a member who has so much ‘it’ factor, she remains cherished 30 years after her last hit. The 70s Supremes never lacked for talent, but they sorely missed a star. I like Edna Wright as a thought, Syreeta, Lola Falana. I would have used Syreeta as she had more star appeal than matronly Jean.

I'm not sure Syreeta had the stage presence to step into Diana's shoes. IMO she certainly doesn't have the vocal personality. Edna had stage presence, personality and a great sound. For the life of me I can't figure out why Freda Payne wasn't a huge star. Looks, voice, personality, good material. I could see her stepping into Diana's shoes beautifully. Plus she and Mary are good friends [[don't know if they were at the time) so Freda may have been able to help Mary re-create some of the camaraderie she missed when she, Flo and Diana were still friends. On top of that, we know that Gordy recognized Freda's gifts from way back in 1960/61. I think it could've worked. Too bad we'll never know.

No lead singer wants to share those precious lead vocals with an inferior singer. This leads to wars.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    Has anybody been able to turn this version into an MP3 or post it on FaceBook?
    Here's a link that you can use to download any music tracks from SoundCloud: https://scdownloader.net

I believe Mary said that they were working the circuit around the time band of gold hit. Hey Ran if you haven’t seen it yet, check out what’s in my bag on you tube featuring Mary, Freda, and Linda Clifford

I just looked at the list of number one hot 100 hits for 1973. "Slow Days" is a much better song IMO than some of the cuts that topped the charts. .
    With that one change this song would've been on better footing.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    I believe Mary said that they were working the circuit around the time band of gold hit. Hey Ran if you haven’t seen it yet, check out what’s in my bag on you tube featuring Mary, Freda, and Linda Clifford
    Thanks BG!

The session that I have doesn’t have a lead vocal with Mary, it does however have Stevie’s original demo vocal. Also have the “I’ll Wait A Lifetime” demo

Not going to get into what couldda, shouldda, wouldda, but I really like this song and am very glad to hear it with such clarity. Thank you very much for finding it and posting it.

Quote Originally Posted by kje71 View Post
    The session that I have doesn’t have a lead vocal with Mary, it does however have Stevie’s original demo vocal. Also have the “I’ll Wait A Lifetime” demo
    Can you upload the "I'll Wait A Lifetime" demo? Please!

The Stevie Wonder sessions would've been better had it not been known that Jean wanted to LEAVE the Supremes at that moment. Also, these attacks on Lynda are OUT THERE. Like wasn't it suggested BY Stevie to put Lynda in the group after Cindy was on maternity leave? Also how come people write about how Lynda was a problem when Mary wrote in her second memoirs that it was JEAN that was the problem child???

Kinda weird how people see what they wanna see. Are people who are claiming to be Mary supporters just gonna forget that she and Jean butted heads?

But anyway, I know a Supremes/Stevie Wonder album would've been INCREDIBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    The Stevie Wonder sessions would've been better had it not been known that Jean wanted to LEAVE the Supremes at that moment. Also, these attacks on Lynda are OUT THERE. Like wasn't it suggested BY Stevie to put Lynda in the group after Cindy was on maternity leave? Also how come people write about how Lynda was a problem when Mary wrote in her second memoirs that it was JEAN that was the problem child???

Kinda weird how people see what they wanna see. Are people who are claiming to be Mary supporters just gonna forget that she and Jean butted heads?

But anyway, I know a Supremes/Stevie Wonder album would've been INCREDIBLE!
    No, Stevie did not suggest that Lynda be put into the group. They auditioned Sundray Tucker her sister first and then decided on Linda Tucker instead. Stevie did however suggest Susaye Greene to Pedro Ferrer as a replacement for Cindy Birdsong several years later. I just know the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Easy answer: yes.

i don’t care for Top Of The World at all, but it’s a better produced record, has a proven sound that was already a radio staple and a melody that you could hum or singalong with if you like that sort of thing. This Supremes track seems raw and in need of a re-write before a new demo is warranted. This didn’t work, which is why I’m sure they bailed on it.
    I think they bailed on it because the entire project was shelved. It's my understanding the album was never completed after Motown bailed on "Bad Weather" and Stevie decided to cut his losses. "Soft Days" sounds like a demo to me. Who knows what the finished product would have sounded.

first a lot of groups were having trouble in the 70s and year after year as contracts were up for renewal , artists jumped ship.
    the problem., that I was aware of was Jean and Mary. Mary being the last original member wanted more leads, and in a way I can see her point, but obviously ,she was not ready. she did not prep herself for the lead spot, but she should have.imo.
    but Jean was very capable of handling the lead but I don't think she cared for being told what to do. they butted heads .
    by 1973, things were strainded and I remember them being offered a deal elsewhere and Mary backed out. I think it was same label the 4 tops jumped onto. I think when MW backed out of the deal Jean and Lynda both had enough
    thanks for posting the song.beautiful

Bad Weather flopping definitely didn't help matters... despite the great reception on Soul Train.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    first a lot of groups were having trouble in the 70s and year after year as contracts were up for renewal , artists jumped ship.
    the problem., that I was aware of was Jean and Mary. Mary being the last original member wanted more leads, and in a way I can see her point, but obviously ,she was not ready. she did not prep herself for the lead spot, but she should have.imo.
    but Jean was very capable of handling the lead but I don't think she cared for being told what to do. they butted heads .
    by 1973, things were strainded and I remember them being offered a deal elsewhere and Mary backed out. I think it was same label the 4 tops jumped onto. I think when MW backed out of the deal Jean and Lynda both had enough
    thanks for posting the song.beautiful
    Not quite. ABC showed a great interest but I don’t think a deal was on the table. They had concerns with jean as well. Also Mary knew that if she left Motown, the name would stay something she would not risk but jean and Lynda would

Quote Originally Posted by Weslley Francisco View Post
    Can you upload the "I'll Wait A Lifetime" demo? Please!
    Been working on a mix for this, a bit longer of a song

Been working on a mix for this, a bit longer of a song
    Wonderful! Prayerfully, it will also be in MP3 format for less technologically adept SDF friends. Thank you in advance!!!

Produced by Stevie Wonder, never released. Know a few bootlegs have been going around but was able to get hold of the session and make a mix of the song. Cut it down just a little, take a listen

https://soundcloud.com/imaginationmi...-days-demo-mix
    This is very nice. Thank you for posting. I have a copy this fades in the middle of the song for a few seconds. It would be great to be able to get a clean copy.

I first heard this song 11 years ago. I liked it immediately and played it about 5 times back to back at first.

I don't know if it would have been a top A side for a single. but an excellent album track. perhaps it could have worked as a subsequent single from a stevie album. or a strong b side. but all 3 Stevie tracks are strong. not perfect but strong. as i've said on other threads, i think these recordings are very much Jean songs, not a group song. it's jean and background vocals. But i realize things are incomplete and so who knows what might have evolved. but the sound and direction is exciting and IMO would have been a great new sound for the girls. maybe it might have been strong enough to return them to better footing in the pop world. maybe would have reversed some of the slip they'd witnessed in 72

I wonder. If a Stevie Wonder produced album would have included their cover version of "Love Train" that was produced around the same time by Frank Wilson?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I wonder. If a Stevie Wonder produced album would have included their cover version of "Love Train" that was produced around the same time by Frank Wilson?
    I would hope not. not that I dislike there version of the song but I did dislike the random 1-off tracks on some of their lps. like Time and Love. I would have preferred a full album by Stevie, like Floy Joy

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I wonder if the Supremes would've gotten "Until You Come Back to Me" instead of Aretha.

I can't imagine the Supremes doing that song...