[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Phil Collins

Phil Collins

I know Phil isn’t a Motown artist [[kill me!) but of course he has collaborated with Lamont Dozier and The Four Tops and is a self-proclaimed lover of Motown and soul...

Anyway, I just wanted to get some other opinions on Phil as an artist... do you like him? Any Phil fans out there? I have to say I think I quite like him... and I have massive respect and admiration for his love of Motown.

He also had a massive hit with his wonderful cover of "You Can't Hurry Love" and even recorded a whole album of Motown covers called Going Back... any thoughts on these?
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 01-20-2018 at 07:12 AM.

Sky Arts often show PhilnCollin's tribute to Motown show.
    I think it's called " Going Back to Detroit"...or similar.
    Last edited by snakepit; 01-20-2018 at 12:10 PM.

He's not an artist that I've gotten into, but I've enjoyed some of Phil records such as SUSSUDIO, IN THE AIR TONIGHT, and EASY LOVER.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I know Phil isn’t a Motown artist [[kill me!) but of course he has collaborated with Lamont Dozier and The Four Tops and is a self-proclaimed lover of Motown and soul...

Anyway, I just wanted to get some other opinions on Phil as an artist... do you like him? Any Phil fans out there? I have to say I think I quite like him... and I have massive respect and admiration for his love of Motown.

He also had a massive hit with his wonderful cover of "You Can't Hurry Love" and even recorded a whole album of Motown covers called Going Back... any thoughts on these?

I like Phil Collins! He's done some of my favorite songs from the '80s [['In the Air Tonight', 'Something Happened On The Way To Heaven', 'Easy Lover'-with Phillip Bailey, 'I Wish It Would Rain Down' among others). He also did a good remake of 'You Can't Hurry Love' and collaborated with Lamont Dozier for 'Two Hearts'. I've never heard his Motown covers album, Going Back, so I can't say anything about it.
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 01-20-2018 at 12:07 PM.

Written by Lamont Dozier and Phil Collins,Two Hearts is a serious Motown like jam, along with "Would I Die For You", and "Good Thing". I can put whatever I want on my ipad and Two Hearts has not only made the cut, but gets listened to a couple times a week. These late 80's songs along with the first wave of Motown books, reawakened the Motowner in me. I was very heavy into Classic Jazz at the time. Quite a stylistic leap.

He also did a cover of "Too Many Fish In The Sea". I like it, at least, but here it is if you're interested...

Phil Collins and Genesis was the ultimate. Phil Collins as a single artist was awesome. I love his material such as "At Least You Can Say You Are Sorry" and "One More Night" better than anything he has redone on Motown material.

I always liked Phil. My dad was wild about him as well; whenever “Sussudio” came on the car radio, he’d catch the Holy Ghost!

Thanks for your comments guys!!! I appreciate them.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Sky Arts often show PhilnCollin's tribute to Motown show.
    I think it's called " Going Back to Detroit"...or similar.
    ooh wow I might have to check that out thanks snakepit

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    He's not an artist that I've gotten into, but I've enjoyed some of Phil records such as SUSSUDIO, IN THE AIR TONIGHT, and EASY LOVER.
    Mmm, I like those ones too reese. I actually had no idea that "Easy Lover" was by Phil Collins and Philip Bailey until recently, and I must have heard it a gazillion times.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post

I like Phil Collins! He's done some of my favorite songs from the '80s [['In the Air Tonight', 'Something Happened On The Way To Heaven', 'Easy Lover'-with Phillip Bailey, 'I Wish It Would Rain Down' among others). He also did a good remake of 'You Can't Hurry Love' and collaborated with Lamont Dozier for 'Two Hearts'. I've never heard his Motown covers album, Going Back, so I can't say anything about it.
    Hey I’m glad to hear it Eddie. I've been checking Phil's stuff out recently and I liked those ones you mentioned too. Especially the Lamont Dozier collaboration "Two Hearts"!!! Love it

And Going Back I know was recorded quite recently... but the tracks are all good and retro sounding IMO...
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 01-20-2018 at 08:49 PM.

Phil also wrote and produced [[with Lamont Dozier) The Four Tops' wonderful 1988 hit "Loco In Acapulco"... love this one too

Phil and Lamont also collaborated together on "The Quiet's Too Loud" from Lamont's 1991 album Inside Seduction... I really like this one too... great song....

I can tolerate him these days. he was never one of my favorites. You Can't Hurry Love
    LP Stereo version was one my favorite Supremes songs. it's not Phil's fault it became so popular and overplayed...but it fell of my list. And seems every FLOS has it in the set list.
    When "Maneater" came out I was certain someone else covered YCHL...there is a nice cover of YCHL by D.L. Byron on the very New Wave 2 LP Sdtrk to the 1980 movie "Times Square".
    Detroit native Suzi Quatro kicks the TS Sdtrk off with her wonderful cut "Rock Hard"
    Last edited by gman; 01-20-2018 at 09:03 PM.

I love Phil Collins. Some of his songs, solo and with Genesis, are attached to fond memories from my childhood. The man can flat out sing. Both my ipod and my 80s playlist on my laptop have requisite Phil tunes incorporated. He does get a great nod for his cover of "Hurry Love" but I think any version is going to pale too much in comparison for me to the original. Other than that, I play "Against All Odds", "One More Night", "Two Hearts", "Easy Lover", "In Too Deep", "Invisible Touch" and "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight" often.

Phil recruited Funk Brothers Bob Babbitt and Eddie Willis, along with Detroiter Ray Monette...https://youtu.be/A9mltBVrdSk

I love his solo music. Two Hearts reminded me of one of Marvin's sixties songs.

He's one of those artists that have always grated on me and I don't exactly know why. I HATE his cover of "You Can't Hurry Love" with a passion. However, I actually appreciate his "Going Back" album as a standalone album. It's a little karaoke-ish, but the tribute was really nice and there are some well-chosen obscurities on there.

ooh wow I might have to check that out thanks snakepit
    Turns out my family recorded it for me cause they thought I might like it! Coincidence!

For some reason I thought it was Phil in Detroit talking about Motown and stuff... like a documentary... not Phil singing what seemed to be the entirety of his Going Back album! LOL, I enjoyed it though, it was good, thanks snakepit

You guys have convinced me [[well, not gman or antceleb, heehee) to get into Phil... but I've gone in really deep and bought everything he has ever recorded... yep, the Complete Studio Albums! What the hell, eh!? Lol

He's ok. But he was never one of my favorites. Kinda annoying to me.

You guys have convinced me [[well, not gman or antceleb, heehee) to get into Phil... but I've gone in really deep and bought everything he has ever recorded... yep, the Complete Studio Albums! What the hell, eh!? Lol
    I'm not going to suggest that you shouldn't have done that, Tom. Just that there might have been more deserving artists you could have given priority to.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I'm not going to suggest that you shouldn't have done that, Tom. Just that there might have been more deserving artists you could have given priority to.
    Oh have no worries 144, it was only £10... I wouldn’t have bought it otherwise

Hey 144, can I ask, what is your opinion of Phil Collins...?

I can take him or leave him. The only record of his I've ever bought is "Two Hearts".

Well, it's time for my obligatory several-months-later follow-up post, just to say that I do indeed like Phil Collins! I have thoroughly enjoyed his Going Back Motown covers album, and there are some great tracks among his other solo stuff.

Also, I find this quite surprising but rather amazing, Phil has a proper, full-on horn section on all of his 80s albums, and I believe it's the same horn section as Earth, Wind & Fire, no less. I love "Behind The Lines" and "It Don't Matter To Me" especially. Also, "This Must Be Love", which is just lovely. "Sussudio" is great fun as well.

And then there's "Two Hearts" as well!!!

When I was going thru my divorce, I could not listen to "Against All Odds", although I like the song very much. Overall. I like Phil Collins. I have never bought any of his albums or cds, but I think he is a wonderful artist.

Well, it's time for my obligatory several-months-later follow-up post, just to say that I do indeed like Phil Collins! I have thoroughly enjoyed his Going Back Motown covers album, and there are some great tracks among his other solo stuff.

Also, I find this quite surprising but rather amazing, Phil has a proper, full-on horn section on all of his 80s albums, and I believe it's the same horn section as Earth, Wind & Fire, no less. I love "Behind The Lines" and "It Don't Matter To Me" especially. Also, "This Must Be Love", which is just lovely. "Sussudio" is great fun as well.

And then there's "Two Hearts" as well!!!
    Yes, indeed, those are the mighty, mighty Phenix Horns backing Mr. Collins.

Don’t know if I mentioned this, but Phil was a real favorite of my dad’s. I have such fond memories of Daddy partying behind the steering wheel whenever “Sussudio” came on the radio!

I've always liked Genesis, but Phil Collins' solo stuff never resonated with me. Unlike the "hip" older artists to the younger generation, I always placed Phil in the same category as Kenny Rogers on terms of "brand coolness." I do respect him as a musician and behind the oldies pastiche of his "adult contemporary" material, there's some truly inspiring compositions.

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    He's one of those artists that have always grated on me and I don't exactly know why. I HATE his cover of "You Can't Hurry Love" with a passion. However, I actually appreciate his "Going Back" album as a standalone album. It's a little karaoke-ish, but the tribute was really nice and there are some well-chosen obscurities on there.
    Join the club!

In general I like Phil and he has made some great records such as Sussudio, Another Day In Paradise and Easy Lover but really he should have been charged with murder for what he did to the joyous, exhilarating and uplifting YCHL - for me easily The Supremes' finest hour.

Phil also wrote and produced [[with Lamont Dozier) The Four Tops' wonderful 1988 hit "Loco In Acapulco"... love this one too

This comes from one of my favorite albums. This particular song is so upbeat and always makes me smile. I used to play it for my students who loved the hook "Going loco down in Acapulco." Oh, I forgot this thread was about Phil Collins. Actually, I love Phil Collins' ballad type of songs such as "Everyday" and Tearing and Breaking." His productions were always very "clean" sounding.