[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Do you suppose anybody doesn't care for her music? Nobody is loved by everybody. I can imagine some folks being let down with how she eventually came to live her life, but I wonder if there's anybody who listens to Whitney's songs and thinks that she was in any way overrated?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Do you suppose anybody doesn't care for her music? Nobody is loved by everybody. I can imagine some folks being let down with how she eventually came to live her life, but I wonder if there's anybody who listens to Whitney's songs and thinks that she was in any way overrated?
    Heck, even my Daddy liked Whitney Houston's music. Are you kidding me? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Heck, even my Daddy liked Whitney Houston's music. Are you kidding me? LOL!
    LOL. What was I thinking? But we all know those contrary people who don't like anything that somebody else thinks is fantastic. You know, how when they said 96% of black women in Alabama voted for Doug Jones against Roy Moore? That means 4 out of 100 sistas just had to be ignorant. Bet they'd rather listen to Kathy Lee Gifford over Whitney Houston.

LOL. What was I thinking? But we all know those contrary people who don't like anything that somebody else thinks is fantastic. You know, how when they said 96% of black women in Alabama voted for Doug Jones against Roy Moore? That means 4 out of 100 sistas just had to be ignorant. Bet they'd rather listen to Kathy Lee Gifford over Whitney Houston.
    Now Jerry I hear you with that one. There are a few people like that out there. There may have been some people that did not like Whitney, but they could not deny that she could SANG! She sang so good she could make a grown man cry. Where are those types of singers now? Luther was just masterful. He was into his music and it showed whenever he sang a song. Those two were students of the old school legends that believed in bringing down the house every opportunity they got!

I'm afraid I have a friend who thinks she used to shout instead of sing.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I'm afraid I have a friend who thinks she used to shout instead of sing.
    I knew it! There's one in every crowd!

Now Jerry I hear you with that one. There are a few people like that out there. There may have been some people that did not like Whitney, but they could not deny that she could SANG! She sang so good she could make a grown man cry. Where are those types of singers now? Luther was just masterful. He was into his music and it showed whenever he sang a song. Those two were students of the old school legends that believed in bringing down the house every opportunity they got!
    Marv, she sang "The Star Spangled Banner" to open the Super Bowl and made it a top record. Marvin didn't even do that.

I knew it! There's one in every crowd!
    You mean a tone deaf person?

Marv, she sang "The Star Spangled Banner" to open the Super Bowl and made it a top record. Marvin didn't even do that.
    They still play Whitney's version everyday at noon on the radio in New York. She was an artist for the ages and we hardly knew.

You mean a tone deaf person?

Actually, one asshole who just has to be on the opposite side of consensus. Just like how no baseball player ever went into the Hall of Fame with 100% of voters voting for him. Think about that for a second... Jackie Robinson, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Willie Mays, and Ted Williams all had some know-it-all who didn't think they should be in the hall with the greatest players of all time. If somebody ever tries to suggest that Whitney Houston was not everything and more that she's said to be, I'm changing the subject so I don't cuss him out.

Pat Boone
    Wild Cherry
    Macy Gray
    TLC
    Britney Spears
    Ricky Martin

85% of the British Invasion, and the "hippie" side of the sixties.
    75% of Bobby Womack, 75% of Isley Brothers, post 1968 for both.

99% of all new singers, and all new songs, 2001+.

The only "Boy Band" in the solely made for pop charts teenage girls' $$$ sense I find listenable, even downright fun to sing along with sometimes, is New Kids on the Block.

Completely cannot stand Men Without Hat's "the Safety Dance".

Myself a total Motown nut, from the big names, to the small, I don't care for Georgio, MC Brains, Profyle, or anyone who sung from their Country subsidiaries, such as Melodyland and T.G. Sheppard, because I am not into Country, although I could appreciate a decent Dolly Parton, Kenny Rogers, Willie Nelson, or Johnny Cash.

I am also not a Metal listener, 90% of Rock and all its subgenres, post 1963, neither do I care much for Contemporary Christian, but I do highly enjoy Gospel.

While I could put on my dislike list rappers by the hundreds, the only rap and rap artists I enjoy / respect is more on the party dance beat aspect, ex. MC Hammer, Heavy D and the Boyz, Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince / Will Smith, Sugarhill Gang, Fat Boys, Kurtis Blow's "The Breaks", Treacherous Three's "The Body Rock", World's Famous Supreme Team's "Hey DJ", 69 Boyz' "Tootsee Roll", Tag Team's "Whoomp There It Is".
    Last edited by Ngroove; 01-31-2018 at 01:09 AM.

I know several people who didn't care for her voice. Some within the business, others outside of it. You are never going to find an artist universally loved by everyone. A former colleague of mine claimed that she oversang. UK radio host Ken Bruce is not a great fan.
    I thought she was THE female voice of the 80's , but she will never be in my top 5 female singers of all time. I loved her voice and what she could do with it, but there are others that i prefered and still do. It was a crying shame that she didn't take care of her voice and indeed herself. We were deprived of some potentially great music. I think she would have probably moved on to standards had she lived. She could have made a great job of the American songbook, and i think she could have made some great jazzy stuff too. Sadly we will never know.

I'll add Anita Baker to the list. I didn't like her voice or songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I think she would have probably moved on to standards had she lived. She could have made a great job of the American songbook, and i think she could have made some great jazzy stuff too. Sadly we will never know.
    With what she did with Dolly Parton's I Will Always Love You, it chills me to imagine what she could have done singing standards with good production. Ella Fitzgerald took the American songbooks to a wonderful level that I don't think anybody could match. I would love to hear Whitney at her finest reimagining standards as long as it didn't come off as a cover record. She had a theatrical voice anyway, so there are tons of songs that I think she could have absolutely blown away.

Actually, one asshole who just has to be on the opposite side of consensus. Just like how no baseball player ever went into the Hall of Fame with 100% of voters voting for him. Think about that for a second... Jackie Robinson, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Willie Mays, and Ted Williams all had some know-it-all who didn't think they should be in the hall with the greatest players of all time. If somebody ever tries to suggest that Whitney Houston was not everything and more that she's said to be, I'm changing the subject so I don't cuss him out.
    You make good points Jerry. I just can't think of another female vocalist during the 80s,90s and early 00s that was better. I first heard her on the radio as a solo while stuck on some bridge in traffic in Cleveland, Ohio. It was March of 1985. I was pissed off sitting there and then this voice, this song came on the radio "You Give Good Love" and I was like, "Whoa......who is that"?" to myself LOL! You know that she must have made a big impact on me for me to remember this much detail. I was a fan from that moment on.

With what she did with Dolly Parton's I Will Always Love You, it chills me to imagine what she could have done singing standards with good production. Ella Fitzgerald took the American songbooks to a wonderful level that I don't think anybody could match. I would love to hear Whitney at her finest reimagining standards as long as it didn't come off as a cover record. She had a theatrical voice anyway, so there are tons of songs that I think she could have absolutely blown away.
    She took George Benson's "The Greatest Love of All" and turned it into an anthem! I loved the original, but I came to like her version too. Whitney created her own standards. She added to the "Great American Songbook".

She took George Benson's "The Greatest Love of All" and turned it into an anthem! I loved the original, but I came to like her version too. Whitney created her own standards. She added to the "Great American Songbook".
    The only thing about her contribution is that nobody is going to have the figurative balls to sing "Saving All My Love For You", "You Give Good Love", "Exhale" or "All The Man That I Need" for fear of not being able to touch the original versions. She even made the definitive versions of "Greatest Love Of All", "I'm Every Woman", and "I Will Always Love You". I'm not giving her credit for "I Believe In You And Me" because I'm too much of a Levi Stubbs fan. But you get my point, she was special.

The only thing about her contribution is that nobody is going to have the figurative balls to sing "Saving All My Love For You", "You Give Good Love", "Exhale" or "All The Man That I Need" for fear of not being able to touch the original versions. She even made the definitive versions of "Greatest Love Of All", "I'm Every Woman", and "I Will Always Love You". I'm not giving her credit for "I Believe In You And Me" because I'm too much of a Levi Stubbs fan. But you get my point, she was special.
    I felt embarrassed for Jennifer Hudson who had to sing "I Will Always Love You" at the Grammys in 2012 as a tribute to Whitney. She just couldn't cut it.

Loved Levi's lead vocal on that one too. He is another singer that had no peer in my opinion. He could take a bubblegum song like The Monkee's "I'm A Believer" and give it soul and make you believe he originated the song LOL! I knew him and other than that voice, I will miss his humor! He could have easily been a comedian along the lines of a Bill Cosby or even Richard Pryor after a few beers. hehehehehehe! God Bless them all.

The reason I mentioned him for singing that song and not the Tops is because it was essentially a solo record. I honestly think he should have been nominated for an Oscar for his role in "Little Shop of Horrors". Love that dude's voice and I'm jealous of you.

And I refused to watch Lifetime's Whitney Houston biopic. I heard Deborah Cox did a good job singing the songs but I haven't listened to any of what she produced.

The reason I mentioned him for singing that song and not the Tops is because it was essentially a solo record. I honestly think he should have been nominated for an Oscar for his role in "Little Shop of Horrors". Love that dude's voice and I'm jealous of you.

And I refused to watch Lifetime's Whitney Houston biopic. I heard Deborah Cox did a good job singing the songs but I haven't listened to any of what she produced.
    Deborah Cox is a mighty fine singer, but she isn't Whitney. I haven't heard her versions on Lifetime's biopic either. Maybe one day.....

I agree about Ella. No-one will ever do the songbooks better than that great lady, but i am sure Whitney at her vocal peak would have done one hell of a fine job. It is so sad that we will never get to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    Pat Boone
    Wild Cherry
    Macy Gray
    TLC
    Britney Spears
    Ricky Martin

85% of the British Invasion, and the "hippie" side of the sixties.
    75% of Bobby Womack, 75% of Isley Brothers, post 1968 for both.

99% of all new singers, and all new songs, 2001+.

The only "Boy Band" in the solely made for pop charts teenage girls' $$$ sense I find listenable, even downright fun to sing along with sometimes, is New Kids on the Block.

Completely cannot stand Men Without Hat's "the Safety Dance".

Myself a total Motown nut, from the big names, to the small, I don't care for Georgio, MC Brains, Profyle, or anyone who sung from their Country subsidiaries, such as Melodyland and T.G. Sheppard, because I am not into Country, although I could appreciate a decent Dolly Parton, Kenny Rogers, Willie Nelson, or Johnny Cash.

I am also not a Metal listener, 90% of Rock and all its subgenres, post 1963, neither do I care much for Contemporary Christian, but I do highly enjoy Gospel.

While I could put on my dislike list rappers by the hundreds, the only rap and rap artists I enjoy / respect is more on the party dance beat aspect, ex. MC Hammer, Heavy D and the Boyz, Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince / Will Smith, Sugarhill Gang, Fat Boys, Kurtis Blow's "The Breaks", Treacherous Three's "The Body Rock", World's Famous Supreme Team's "Hey DJ", 69 Boyz' "Tootsee Roll", Tag Team's "Whoomp There It Is".
    Very thorough lol

Forgot to mention Janis Joplin.

I was a bigger fan of Jefferson Airplane than I was of Grace Slick. Sadly, I was not a fan of the Commodores' post-Lionel Ritchie output [[or LTD's post-Jeffrey Osborne records). And even though I love a lot of New Edition songs, there's not a single from Ralph Tresvant or BBD that I like. Interestingly, I have a bunch of Johnny Gill records high on my list and Bobby Brown's Don't Be Cruel might as well be his greatest hits collection because it was fantastic, even though he has all of the singing talent of a corpse with a tone deaf frog caught in its throat. But that record was great in spite of him.

Also, it took me until my 20s to start appreciating Little Richard and my 40s to fall in love with Jimi Hendrix.

Add Peabo Bryson , which also brings to mind Freddie Jackson. [[ I'm sure they're wonderful at what they do. I'm just not into schmaltz liquor)

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Forgot to mention Janis Joplin.
    Couldn’t agree more! Totally overrated.

Michael Bolton

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    Couldn’t agree more! Totally overrated.
    I can't say why, but it used to irritate me that she was considered to be a blues artist. I love all sorts of blues but I was never a Joplin fan.

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    Michael Bolton
    Never liked him. Not when he had long hair and tried to be a rock star and not when it fell out and he tried to be a pop and [[shudder) soul artist. As vanilla as it comes [[not meant in a racial context).

I was a bigger fan of Jefferson Airplane than I was of Grace Slick. Sadly, I was not a fan of the Commodores' post-Lionel Ritchie output [[or LTD's post-Jeffrey Osborne records). And even though I love a lot of New Edition songs, there's not a single from Ralph Tresvant or BBD that I like. Interestingly, I have a bunch of Johnny Gill records high on my list and Bobby Brown's Don't Be Cruel might as well be his greatest hits collection because it was fantastic, even though he has all of the singing talent of a corpse with a tone deaf frog caught in its throat. But that record was great in spite of him.
    When that album, "Don't Be Cruel" came out You couldn't have a party without playing it! The next year when he followed up with the theme from "Ghostbusters" "On Our Own", Bobby Brown was the top male solo act even if it was for a brief moment. I liked most of his stuff.

Never liked him. Not when he had long hair and tried to be a rock star and not when it fell out and he tried to be a pop and [[shudder) soul artist. As vanilla as it comes [[not meant in a racial context).
    Michael Bolton's music gives me a headache. I'll take one Steve Winwood for two Michael Boltons. LOL!!!!

Michael McDonald’s tonal changes/bleating are irritating IMO tho I liked On My Own. I think Whitney Houston was so good it’s almost difficult to fathom for some people. Some of recordings were too pop for me.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Michael McDonald’s tonal changes/bleating are irritating IMO tho I liked On My Own. I think Whitney Houston was so good it’s almost difficult to fathom for some people. Some of recordings were too pop for me.
    Michael McDonald and Anita Baker both sounded like they were trying to sing with a mouth full of cotton at times. You could not always make out the lyrics. LOL!

Michael McDonald and Anita Baker both sounded like they were trying to sing with a mouth full of cotton at times. You could not always make out the lyrics. LOL!
    Patti Austin swears up and down that they’re the same person: “When you see Anita and she be whippin’ that skirt around...that’s ‘cause Michael’s up under there.” 😀

OMG lol. It sounds like affectation to me

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    OMG lol. It sounds like affectation to me
    HA! Got another PATTI AUSTIN LIVE fan on board, I see!

When that album, "Don't Be Cruel" came out You couldn't have a party without playing it! The next year when he followed up with the theme from "Ghostbusters" "On Our Own", Bobby Brown was the top male solo act even if it was for a brief moment. I liked most of his stuff.
    I was shocked when "Don't Be Cruel" was so good because I remember his earlier album with songs produced by Larry Blackmon [[one of my all-time favorite artists). That record was like a sonic colonoscopy. Teddy Riley and LaFace worked true magic on his sophomore record. Every single song on that album was played on local radio. To this day, I don't know which ones were actually released.

Most of the artists who have a very powerful voice [[Adele, Mariah Carey, Celine Dion and after about 1989, Whitney Houston).

Focusing on more soul music - Smokey Robinson [[with very, very few exceptions "tell me tomorrow" and "who's gonna take the blame"); James Brown; Ohio Players.

Non-soul: Elvis Presley [[I never understood why he was considered to be good); Oasis; Bob Dylan; Prince; Bryan Adams; John Lennon; Blondie; The Osmonds.

Also, it took me until my 20s to start appreciating Little Richard and my 40s to fall in love with Jimi Hendrix.
    Hey Jerry, better late than never ! ;o)

About Janis Joplin I can see your points, but you should watch "Janis" the excellent documentary on her : http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0755ms6

Then you'll understand why "she's got the blues"
    Last edited by phil; 02-03-2018 at 08:55 AM.

Patti La Belle. IMHO, she does more screaming than actual singing.