[REMOVE ADS]

Edwin Hawkins RIP

Fallen to the same diesease that claimed his brother Walter! One of the greats to bring Black Gospel to the mainstream.

A huge loss. Edwin was a giant in Gospel Music and will be missed by many. Rest in peace Edwin. Thank you.

Marv

What a trailblazer. The very first concert that I ever attended in life was The Hawkins Family [[featuring Walter, Edwin, Tramaine & Lynette). It was 1976 and I was 10 years old and it was during that time that I fell in love with gospel music. He has left behind a great catalog of gospel classics.

glencro, a great catalog indeed! The loss of Walter and now Edwin is such a great loss. Edwin's voice was as smooth as Nat King Cole and there was nothing like the Hawkins family blend.

The triad was Andre, Walter and Edwin and their music will stand up against any current gospel music you hear today.

It was a honor, blessing and a privilege to be a part of Edwin’s 2nd Grammy award winning album "Wonderful". It also is the first album my name appeared on. You will be missed but your music will live on. Thank you for the opportunity. R.I.P.

"Oh Happy Day" was my Mother's favorite by him. R.I.P. Mr Hawkins.

Oh Happy Day was one of those landmark recordings that broke gospel to the mainstream. Hard to imagine the Clark Sisters, Winans family and Kirk Franklin without the influence of Edwin. Rest peacefully, man. I know he's leading the choir of angels right now!