[REMOVE ADS]

What was the last Motown #1 prior to Diana’s #1 dance hit?

Boy2men or Stevie wonder?

Lionel Richie had a U.K. number 1 hits collection after his Glastonbury show if that counts 2016

Probably everything counts at this stage

Wonder what it was in Billboard?

Hate to say this but unless it’s a top 40 hit then it usually doesn’t count. Sometimes they count r&b top 40

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Hate to say this but unless it’s a top 40 hit then it usually doesn’t count. Sometimes they count r&b top 40
    I do agree especially because the dance club play isn’t about sales

But music overall isn’t sellling much no matter what chart

But it obviously counted back in November 2015. Just sayin. Lol

11-13-2015, 08:19 AM
    blackguy69

Join DateApr 2014Posts643

Just heard that Mary's single is moving up the charts. On the Nov 28 charts her new single jumps up to #37

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post

blackguy69

Just heard that Mary's single is moving up the charts. On the Nov 28 charts her new single jumps up to #37

At least he’s reasonable

But I wonder what the last Motown Billboard #1 on any chart was?

blackguy69

LOL. Double standard.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    At least he’s reasonable

But I wonder what the last Motown Billboard #1 on any chart was?
    Oh yes and hes fair but just pointing out what mattered then must matter now. Lol

Oh yes and hes fair but just pointing out what mattered then must matter now. Lol
    I agree they are bad

But they think we are too

Roberta my dear where in my post did I say it counts. I didn’t say it then and I’m saying it now.

Does anyone have a clue what the last Motown #1 was prior to Diana's Dance Club Hit?

Roberta my dear where in my post did I say it counts. I didn’t say it then and I’m saying it now.
    Doesnt really matter dear. Either way Diane has another number one.

Stevie's last #1 was You Will Know, #1 R & B, in 1987

So I guess we are left with BoyzIIMen

Doesnt really matter dear. Either way Diane has another number one.
    She will be delighted by this. It will mean a lot to her.

Definitely a Boyz II Men song.
    But I guess if we have to be technical on ANY Billboard #1, I guess you can go with either India.Arie or Erykah Badu.

B
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Definitely a Boyz II Men song.
    But I guess if we have to be technical on ANY Billboard #1, I guess you can go with either India.Arie or Erykah Badu.
    Did they go to #1?

Yes, this is a number one hit on the Dance Charts, but we shouldn't compare this remix on level with other Motown songs that actually hit number one on the Billboard Hot 100. "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" was a number one hit in 1970. This remix never charted in the Hot 100. Let's be sure not to bend things to group this remix in with hits that actually made it to the top of the Hot 100 like "My Girl," "Stop In The Name Of Love," or "Hello." It just doesn't work that way.

The last number one hit for Motown was "4 Seasons of Loneliness" by Boyz II Men in 1997.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 01-14-2018 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Yes, this is a number one hit on the Dance Charts, but we shouldn't compare this remix on level with other Motown songs that actually hit number one on the Billboard Hot 100. "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" was a number one hit in 1970. This remix never charted in the Hot 100. Let's be sure not to bend things to group this remix in with hits that actually made it to the top of the Hot 100 like "My Girl," "Stop In The Name Of Love," or "Hello." It just doesn't work that way.

The last number one hit for Motown was "4 Seasons of Loneliness" by Boyz II Men in 1997.
    So it’s been 20 years.

Somebody posted that the Dance chart only monitors 6 major clubs. That’s all it is.

It’s just pretty charming for a 73 year old iconic artist to reach number 1 again like it was when Mary charted on the same chart

Roberta’s point is fair as well and Blackguy certainly is far from the worst proponent of the double standard and the inherent jealousy of everything Diana

So it’s been 20 years.

Somebody posted that the Dance chart only monitors 6 major clubs. That’s all it is.

It’s just pretty charming for a 73 year old iconic artist to reach number 1 again like it was when Mary charted on the same chart

Roberta’s point is fair as well and Blackguy certainly is far from the worst proponent of the double standard and the inherent jealousy of everything Diana
    The point I was making is that as Brad said dance hits aren’t looked at as the same as top 40 hits . This has nothing to do with jealousy

So it’s been 20 years.

You are right it is not based on sales but it isn't based on club play. It is actually based on radio air play from 6 dance radio stations monitored by Nielson Broadcasting.

It is based on airplay
    Only Hot Dance Club Songs still exists today.[9] In 2003 Billboard introduced the Hot Dance Airplay chart [[now known as Dance/Mix Show Airplay), which is based solely on radio airplay of six dance music stations and top 40 mix shows electronically monitored by Nielsen Broadcast Data Systems.[10] These stations are also a part of the electronically monitored panel that encompasses the Hot 100.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    You are right it is not based on sales but it isn't based on club play. It is actually based on radio air play from 6 dance radio stations monitored by Nielson Broadcasting.

It is based on airplay
    Only Hot Dance Club Songs still exists today.[9] In 2003 Billboard introduced the Hot Dance Airplay chart [[now known as Dance/Mix Show Airplay), which is based solely on radio airplay of six dance music stations and top 40 mix shows electronically monitored by Nielsen Broadcast Data Systems.[10] These stations are also a part of the electronically monitored panel that encompasses the Hot 100.
    That makes the chart more important.

You actually made the first post but I remembered it incorrectly

That makes the chart more important.

You actually made the first post but I remembered it incorrectly
    Yes Rob. I am just so happy for Diana. And it is nice to see her at 73 years old hitting any chart. Take care my friend.

Yes Rob. I am just so happy for Diana. And it is nice to see her at 73 years old hitting any chart. Take care my friend.
    It’s a significant accomplishment

It has been a long time since a Motown Classic Artist hit the top and fitting that it is the Queen

Rob the last significant number one for Motown looks like it might have been Erykah Badu's "Bag Lady" in 2000.

A #1 is a #1 and it is wonderful for the legacies of Diana, Motown, and Ashford & Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    She will be delighted by this. It will mean a lot to her.
    I was impressed with Diana's demeanor with the paps at LAX; maybe this was a part of her current happiness.

B

Did they go to #1?
    I know Badu did with "Bag Lady" [[#1 R&B).

I know Badu did with "Bag Lady" [[#1 R&B).
    It looks like Erykah Badu also had a #1 R & B with Love of my Life in 2002

It’s been a long time

Which Billboard chart has Diana topped? Billboard now has about 4 or 5 different dance/club/electronic music charts each measuring a different stat -- radio play, "mixshow", streaming, club play, etc. Which dance chart is it?

Dance Club Play

It looks like Erykah Badu also had a #1 R & B with Love of my Life in 2002

It’s been a long time
    Forgot about "Love of My Life" so that's roughly 15-16 years...

Forgot about "Love of My Life" so that's roughly 15-16 years...
    Too long; makes the achievement even more remarkable. Bluebrock says she is thrilled or will be thrilled.

Good. Could easily be the last from the Heritage Group and even Erykah really didn't fall in that group.

It is based on airplay
    This is a different chart vgalindo. This is a radio dance music chart [[mostly EDM) that is, as you say, based on a handful of regional stations plus a couple of conglomerates.'

http://charts.bdsradio.com/bdsradioc...px?formatid=53

Diana Ross is not only not #1 on that chart , she's not on it at all !!

DANCE CLUB SONGS , where Diana is #1, is a much more significant chart , as it represents what is actually being played in the clubs . It is historically the descendant of the classic Billboard dance/disco charts of yore.

https://www.billboard.com/charts/dance-club-play-songs

Good job Diana! Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    This is a different chart vgalindo. This is a radio dance music chart [[mostly EDM) that is, as you say, based on a handful of regional stations plus a couple of conglomerates.'

http://charts.bdsradio.com/bdsradioc...px?formatid=53

Diana Ross is not only not #1 on that chart , she's not on it at all !!

DANCE CLUB SONGS , where Diana is #1, is a much more significant chart , as it represents what is actually being played in the clubs . It is historically the descendant of the classic Billboard dance/disco charts of yore.

https://www.billboard.com/charts/dance-club-play-songs

Good job Diana! Congrats!
    [URL="https://www.billboard.com/charts/dance-club-play-songs"

[/URL]
    Thanks for the info. It gets kinda confusing. Just happy for Diana. Nice seeing her hitting the top of the charts again.

Thanks for the info. It gets kinda confusing. Just happy for Diana. Nice seeing her hitting the top of the charts again.
    Sure is nice! The 'usual suspects' will try to obfuscate the achievement as fake news, but in fact this is a nice career-capper for Diana-Motown-A&S and the fans!

Looks like "Love of My Life" is credited to MCA Records, not Motown, as it first appeared on the MCA Records produced Brown Sugar soundtrack, which probably means that "Bag Lady" could be considered the last Motown Records number one on one of the major charts. Either way, Diana's current accomplishment speaks to the greatness of "Aint No Mountain High Enough", her vocals, the original track, and what the remixer was able to do with it. As Rob said, it's a remarkable thing. Now if only Diana would get her butt in the studio and give the public something current to groove to...

Great news that Diana Ross has a #1 dance hit on her remix of her 1970 hit Ain't No Mountain High Enough. Great and positive. It makes me happy she has had more success, looks & sounds so well and is entertaining. That being said I was just as happy that Mary Wilson had a top 20 dance hit with Time To Move On 2 years ago. Great and positive. It makes me happy that she has had more success, looks & sounds so well and is entertaining, That being said I was just as happy when the final Supreme Susaye Greene joined Scherrie Payne in the FLOs with Joyce Wilson. It makes me happy that this trio will have more success, look & sound so well and are entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    Great news that Diana Ross has a #1 dance hit on her remix of her 1970 hit Ain't No Mountain High Enough. Great and positive. It makes me happy she has had more success, looks & sounds so well and is entertaining. That being said I was just as happy that Mary Wilson had a top 20 dance hit with Time To Move On 2 years ago. Great and positive. It makes me happy that she has had more success, looks & sounds so well and is entertaining, That being said I was just as happy when the final Supreme Susaye Greene joined Scherrie Payne in the FLOs with Joyce Wilson. It makes me happy that this trio will have more success, look & sound so well and are entertaining.
    This is the most perfect, most dignified way to respond to any former Supreme or any Motown artist, for that matter, garnering another achievement at this advanced stage of their career. I could not agree with you more. Thank you for your positivity.

So it’s really been 30 years since a #1 by a classic Motown artist and it must have Stevie Wonder

Unless we count Lionel Richie as classic because we can’t count BoyzllMen

Had no idea it had been such a long time

So it’s really been 30 years since a #1 by a classic Motown artist and it must have Stevie Wonder

Unless we count Lionel Richie as classic because we can’t count BoyzllMen

Had no idea it had been such a long time
    If we're talking "classic" Motown, no I wouldn't consider Lionel or Boyz II Men in that group, although they are legends. I think it's safe to say Stevie is the last of the golden age Motowners to have a major number one for the label. But I think Michael Jackson would get the distinction as the last Motowner from the golden age to have a major number one anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    If we're talking "classic" Motown, no I wouldn't consider Lionel or Boyz II Men in that group, although they are legends. I think it's safe to say Stevie is the last of the golden age Motowners to have a major number one for the label. But I think Michael Jackson would get the distinction as the last Motowner from the golden age to have a major number one anywhere.
    Good point. I had no idea that it was so long ago and Motown was so out of the mainstream now - although I did understand that nobody Motown had the attractive of Justin Timberlake or Justin Bieber these days.

We're old!

Good point....We're old!
    Whaaa? Type louder I can’t hear you! Lol.