[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Diana and Marvin "box set"

Saw this 3-CD box set in Paris this weekend... love the cover. It is a recycling of old CDs though: Diana & Marvin [[with bonus tracks), Supremes #1s, and The Best of Marvin Gaye.
    Name:  Diana Ross and Marvin Gaye.jpg
Views: 1930
Size:  84.8 KB
    Name:  Diana Ross and Marvin Gaye 2.jpg
Views: 1944
Size:  88.0 KB
    [[images from Amazon.fr)

Cute! Love the graphics!

Damn, I got excited thinking this thread was about a Diana and Marvin expanded edition! I was about to get super excited!! I feel so let down now.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Damn, I got excited thinking this thread was about a Diana and Marvin expanded edition! I was about to get super excited!! I feel so let down now.
    I did too. I thought that for the first time we would get a chance to hear Marvin and Diana sing every song from top to bottom by themselves if those versions still existed. The album was nothing more than a professional cut and paste job. It would've been interesting to get those solo versions newly mixed and mastered with whatever else might've been languishing in the vaults. This may be nothing more than a "Budget Priced" box with no remastering or updates. Might pull my copy out and listen to "The Things I Will Not Miss" though.Always liked that outtake.
    Last edited by Quinn; 01-02-2018 at 06:25 PM.

Great Picture! I like the idea of Diana and Marvin singing every song from top to bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    I did too. I thought that for the first time we would get a chance to hear Marvin and Diana sing every song from top to bottom by themselves if those versions still existed. The album was nothing more than a professional cut and paste job. It would've been interesting to get those solo versions newly mixed and mastered with whatever else might've been languishing in the vaults. This may be nothing more than a "Budget Priced" box with no remastering or updates. Might pull my copy out and listen to "The Things I Will Not Miss" though.Always liked that outtake.
    LOL My thoughts exactly! Not until recently did I learn that most of the songs were sung by each singer separately and then "cut and pasted" to make the album I love so much. Before that I figured the reissue with bonus tracks was as expanded as we would get. I'm hoping those full versions still exist.

Omg, that picture shows zero love, chemistry, or excitement between those two.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Omg, that picture shows zero love, chemistry, or excitement between those two.
    Well in real life he wasn’t there when she was and she wasn’t there when he was, so it’s hard for either to be excited by thin air!

Almost all these duets were recorded separately - it wasn’t a new approach by Diana and Marvin; it’s what they all do. Much ado is made about nothing because it’s Diana

Most of the supremes background vocals were added after the lead was recorded too

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Well in real life he wasn’t there when she was and she wasn’t there when he was, so it’s hard for either to be excited by thin air!

Almost all these duets were recorded separately - it wasn’t a new approach by Diana and Marvin; it’s what they all do. Much ado is made about nothing because it’s Diana

Most of the supremes background vocals were added after the lead was recorded too
    Yeah, not to mention the hell he put Diana through during the process of creating the record. Marvin didn't want to do the album,Berry Gordy had to convince him to agree to it to help push her career forward. The "exit plan" from The Supremes wasn't producing the results he expected it to and he thought this might help her. Diana was the Princess of Motown and Marvin was the Prince, so those factors made it a tense union. Marvin & Diana were both an Aries and by their sign being ruled by Mars [[ war and chaos)they considered being in a studio with each other a battlefield. He wanted his name above hers on the album cover as well as a production credit which was rejected. Once in the "lab" with a pregnant Diana he wanted to smoke marijuana and refused to sing if he wasn't allowed to do so. Once Russ Terrana and Art Stewart pushed the red button he sang circles around her and made it impossible for her to keep up. After all parties being pushed to their limit with maybe a few laughs mixed in,it was agreed that they would do everything independently. While it's not of classic stature and should've been worked on longer for better song selection it's a wonder it was made at all. Hal Davis did what he could along with a few others and while it wasn't the seller B.G. expected it to be it's an interesting and overlooked album in the Motown catalog.
    Last edited by Quinn; 01-03-2018 at 01:01 AM.

I'm sorry if my post gave people false hope. I put "box set" between quotation marks to avoid such misleading. When I saw the box set at the Paris FNAC, I also had that "wow" moment for a second, thinking this was indeed a surprise extended Diana & Marvin set. There should be enough out there for a real extended edition, with the Quad mixes and those alternate mixes released on The Marvin Gaye Collection, the Marvin Gaye Love Songs... Jaap

The whole album felt flat to me. No one sings Stylistics songs like The Stylistics. There was little excitement in the rest of the material. But I think I would welcome a release that featured all the tracks as solo recordings by each of them.

Yeah, not to mention the hell he put Diana through during the process of creating the record. Marvin didn't want to do the album,Berry Gordy had to convince him to agree to it to help push her career forward. The "exit plan" from The Supremes wasn't producing the results he expected it to and he thought this might help her. Diana was the Princess of Motown and Marvin was the Prince, so those factors made it a tense union. Marvin & Diana were both an Aries and by their sign being ruled by Mars [[ war and chaos)they considered being in a studio with each other a battlefield. He wanted his name above hers on the album cover as well as a production credit which was rejected. Once in the "lab" with a pregnant Diana he wanted to smoke marijuana and refused to sing if he wasn't allowed to do so. Once Russ Terrana and Art Stewart pushed the red button he sang circles around her and made it impossible for her to keep up. After all parties being pushed to their limit with maybe a few laughs mixed in,it was agreed that they would do everything independently. While it's not of classic stature and should've been worked on longer for better song selection it's a wonder it was made at all. Hal Davis did what he could along with a few others and while it wasn't the seller B.G. expected it to be it's an interesting and overlooked album in the Motown catalog.
    Not a bad summing up Quinn. I was always disappointed by this album. Sure there were a few gems in there but the majority of it sounded like hastily put together tracks much the same way as the Supremes/Temptations and Supremes/Four Tops albums did. I would love a 2 cd of all the solo recorded tracks, and all the outtakes. It still wouldn't make it a classic, but it would be a fascinating addition to the wonderfully put together expanded editions we so cherish. How about it George?

Since we're on the subject let's not forget that Gaye smoked pot in the presence of the then-pregnant Diana, which was rude to say the very least. I like the 'original' songs; the covers are indeed a snooze. We've discussed this before here but with so many talented in-house producers ... covers? Ah well.

'Much ado' indeed. Valuable to remember that these were the years during which Gaye was so stoned in the studio that he had to lie down to record. Gaye was a major talent but from the various published bios a bit ... creepy? The emotional abuse to the various wives, the drugs ... Does Gaye get a pass just because he's a man, or simply because he's not Diana?
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 01-03-2018 at 10:15 AM.

I've never heard that the photo shoot was a "photoshop" job. Is this true?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    I'm sorry if my post gave people false hope. I put "box set" between quotation marks to avoid such misleading. When I saw the box set at the Paris FNAC, I also had that "wow" moment for a second, thinking this was indeed a surprise extended Diana & Marvin set. There should be enough out there for a real extended edition, with the Quad mixes and those alternate mixes released on The Marvin Gaye Collection, the Marvin Gaye Love Songs... Jaap
    No need to apologize Jaap. It gives us a reason to discuss the duet album, one of my favorites.

I've never heard that the photo shoot was a "photoshop" job. Is this true?
    The photos of Diana and Marvin look genuine to me. Quite a few photos of the two have surfaced in recent years. One photo even was taken of Berry taking a photo of the duo.

I assume you mean this one...
    Name:  aaaabdf76bf4540093f3e2986e28c3cb1e49[[1).jpg
Views: 1471
Size:  31.7 KB

That's the same suit Marvin wore and the same chair he sat on for the Trouble Man album cover. Must have been the same photo shoot.

Attachment 13858
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 01-03-2018 at 01:13 PM.

Thanks Reese and Lucky.

temptationsfan500 Guest
    I agree with Bluebrock, This album was ill conceived and geared toward being an unambitous if entertaining show biz commercial project like Supremes/Temptations and Supremes/4 Tops. Marvin's music was going off in way different directions and breaking boundaries. It's an OK album but it's no What's Going On or Trouble Man or Let's Get It On.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    I assume you mean this one...
    Name:  aaaabdf76bf4540093f3e2986e28c3cb1e49[[1).jpg
Views: 1471
Size:  31.7 KB
    Odd that there are 'real' photographs of the two together, yet the LP cover was a manipulated image [[so I've read) with each taken separately. This image would have been lovely [[but the lighting is all wrong - maybe that's why it was not used ...)

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    'Much ado' indeed. Valuable to remember that these were the years during which Gaye was so stoned in the studio that he had to lie down to record. Gaye was a major talent but from the various published bios a bit ... creepy? The emotional abuse to the various wives, the drugs ... Does Gaye get a pass just because he's a man, or simply because he's not Diana?
    Well Peace,his great talent allows him to get a pass.In most history books as the greatest male soul singer[[I agree)as crazy as he was his unmatched vocal talent gives him validation.Lying down in the studio had more to do with laziness and lack of inspiration more so than being stoned.Remember when he told David Ritz that if he could lay on a couch or sit on a stool and sing that would be all he needed?Marvin was also an Aries[[look at my previous post) and I know how difficult it is to be around the Rams being a Leo.Both signs are natural born leaders, but Lions lead with love until angered while Rams lead ruthlessly and inconsiderately.Not saying they're all the same, but they can be very exhausting and hard to meet with in the middle.As far as him being on the "creepy" side,you know what they say about geniuses...they're not very far from crazy.Diana had her Aries ways about herself too. Making enemies left and right and even had Gladys Knight & The Pips sent back home to Detroit after watching them whip the crowd into a frenzy at an engagement.Why would a Supreme[[one of the biggest things going in the industry at the time)be threatened by The Pips.Not that the Pips aren't and weren't great, but look at the industry landscape at the time.The Supremes were rolling and no one was gonna stop it,even with Gladys being the better vocalist.Nobody beats The Supremes in that era.Say that to an Aries though. Didn't mean to get off topic.
    Last edited by Quinn; 01-03-2018 at 08:42 PM.

Well Peace,his great talent allows him to get a pass.In most history books as the greatest male soul singer[[I agree)as crazy as he was his unmatched vocal talent gives him validation.Lying down in the studio had more to do with laziness and lack of inspiration more so than being stoned.Remember when he told David Ritz that if he could lay on a couch or sit on a stool and sing that would be all he needed?Marvin was also an Aries[[look at my previous post) and I know how difficult it is to be around the Rams being a Leo.Both signs are natural born leaders, but Lions lead with love until angered while Rams lead ruthlessly and inconsiderately.Not saying they're all the same, but they can be very exhausting and hard to meet with in the middle.As far as him being on the "creepy" side,you know what they say about geniuses...they're not very far from crazy.Diana had her Aries ways about herself too. Making enemies left and right and even had Gladys Knight & The Pips sent back home to Detroit after watching them whip the crowd into a frenzy at an engagement.Why would a Supreme[[one of the biggest things going in the industry at the time)be threatened by The Pips.Not that the Pips aren't and weren't great, but look at the industry landscape at the time.The Supremes were rolling and no one was gonna stop it,even with Gladys being the better vocalist.Nobody beats The Supremes in that era.Say that to an Aries though. Didn't mean to get off topic.
    I guess individual interpretation is everything; that's how we ended up with djt as president! Personally I don't care how good someone's records are. There's always another good record. Smoking pot in a room with a pregnant woman, going after women with a knife, being in one's late 40s and hiding out in one's parents' house getting high and having drug dealers in and out ... no record excuses any of that for me. I think that criminal and abusive behaviors are not comparable to a demanding personality; all goes back to the 'man 'thang', doesn't it? A man gets to abuse and threaten women but is excused because he is a 'genius'; a competitive woman is ... something else. As for history books? WGAS? I don't need a book to tell me who I like to hear sing. As far as I'm concerned Marvin Junior is a far better singer than Gaye.
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 01-04-2018 at 07:41 AM.

^ Marvin Junior had the "misfortune" of being in a group. I put misfortune in quotes because Marvin Junior didn't play the egotistical role well. He loved being in a group and the Dells were his homies and also he started the group too and was probably their defacto leader but there was teamwork with them. People tried to get him a solo deal after the Dells released "There Is" [[which includes the magnum opus version of "Stay in My Corner" - the one where Marvin holds his note for like 10 minutes lmao).

So that disadvantages him from the "greatest singer" lists [[same with Bobby DeBarge).

I think OF all the solo soul singers of his generation [[Smokey, Sam, Curtis, Donny, Stevie, Ray, Jackie and James), Marvin WAS indeed the greatest male singer of them all due to how many topics he could easily sing [[from love to politics, from sex to religion, from simple bubblegum love stuff to domestic issues) and of those I mentioned, Stevie [[and Donny in a sense) tried giving him a run for his money there.

That said, back on topic, the Marvin & Diana album probably shouldn't have happened.

Berry Gordy was so desperate to make Diana Ross as huge as Barbra Streisand was that he tried everything. Problem was producers in Motown [[and Diana herself) wanted to make her a little more earthier [[some songs on the solo debut from '70 hints at this attempt at earthiness, which is why BG initially had an issue with the redo of Ain't No Mountain High Enough, he felt too much was going on. Reach Out and Touch was a social anthem and it wasn't promoted because it was probably too black for pop radio [[which is why it only peaked #20; Berry was ticked, he wanted #1).

The follow-up, "Everything is Everything", was supposed to correct this, by having her record more pop with the Jackson 5 songwriters [[Deke Richards, Fonzo and Perren). "I'm Still Waiting" proved to be a hit in England but Motown's U.S. market hardly promoted it. I think a reason why is because Motown was being criticized by black press for "selling out" in the late '60s and it was around this time that Marvin's "What's Going On" came out and also competition from Philly International. Why "Waiting" never became a pop hit was never explained.

But anyway, after A&S returned with "Surrender", it also didn't quite catch on because, again, Diana was recording songs that were different from her Supremes output so Supremes fans turned away [[despite the fact that "Surrender" was probably the best of her solo recordings with Motown besides "The Boss" and "diana"). So they turned to film to get her solo career to REALLY take off. After "Lady Sings the Blues" did just that, Motown had her return to the studio to try to strike gold as a music artist and finally Michael Masser gave her "Touch Me in the Morning", which is what Berry Gordy was looking for Diana: a bonafide pop hit.

I think the Diana/Marvin album began to be produced before "Touch Me" [[and around the time Marvin began recording "Let's Get It On" or just before he did it).

So when did it start? 1972? Marvin was coming off "What's Going On" and one of the biggest contracts for an R&B artist at the time [[over a million dollars and creative freedom under the Tamla label). He was also working on both the score and soundtrack for "Trouble Man", his first full recording in Los Angeles, as he and Anna and Marvin III had just moved there.

I don't know how long Diana had filmed "Lady Sings the Blues" since the announcement came in 1971 and the film was released to theaters in late October 1972 [[around the time of Tracee's birth), but she also was doing interviews for the film, doing performances on TV, recording the soundtrack for "Lady" as well as "The Blues Album" that didn't get released until 2006. Also, pregnant with Tracee.

Plus it was no secret that Diana and Marvin were both divas, in that, they were pretty stubborn and, in the words of Marvin, "like two kids fighting over the same cookie". So of course, things were gonna come to a head and Marvin knew how to push Diana's buttons. He admitted years later that his behavior to Diana was nasty because Diana had a lot on her plate and he was feeling himself too much [[remember, this was a guy who when Motown staff called on to do concerts, told them to kick rocks lol).

Marvin did what he wanted to do. He surely lived up to the title of his first hit, "stubborn kind of fellow" [[I giggled when he added that part at the end of the song "Include Me In Your Life"). If he was gonna lay on the couch to sing, don't tell him to budge, if he wanted to do a song about how war was hell, you'd better not tell him the song sucks or he won't talk to you for two weeks [[ask Berry lol), if he wanted to quit music to play sports [[like he tried to), nothing was gonna stop him.

So of course if he wanted to smoke his weed [[and he did a lot of that during sessions after 1969) while recording, that was his prerogative. He was everything Bobby Brown sang about nearly twenty years later [["it's my prerogative, I can do what I wanna do"). So he wasn't gonna get told what to do. David Ruffin was probably similar to Marvin in that if someone told him to go left, he'd go right. And like Marvin, had issues with Diana. Both sang too strong over her lol

I also think a reason for why they recorded separately was also due to them having very busy schedules on their plate [[Marvin often stayed in that studio and Diana of course was still working like a doggone slave because Berry wouldn't let her rest).

I don't know when the delay occurred because D&M was supposed to come out in 1972 but Motown pushed it back because of MG's and DR's solo projects [[for Marvin, "Trouble Man" and "Let's Get It On"; for Diana, "Lady" and "Touch Me in the Morning") so the album was already done in '72 but Motown waited until late '73 to put it out. Bad timing because that was around the time Marvin was hot on the pop charts so Motown thought releasing D&M then and there would push Diana's pop music stature [[narrator: it didn't).

That said, their cover of "Stop Look Listen" became a favorite hip-hop sample for years [[but mainly the Marvin intro) and that album cover is beautiful.

I personally loved SLL as well as "Just Say, Just Say", "I Think I'm Falling in Love with You" and "Include Me In Your Life". I think if they had done more originals and not covers, their album could've been MUCH better!

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    ^ Marvin Junior had the "misfortune" of being in a group. I put misfortune in quotes because Marvin Junior didn't play the egotistical role well. He loved being in a group and the Dells were his homies and also he started the group too and was probably their defacto leader but there was teamwork with them. People tried to get him a solo deal after the Dells released "There Is" [[which includes the magnum opus version of "Stay in My Corner" - the one where Marvin holds his note for like 10 minutes lmao).

So that disadvantages him from the "greatest singer" lists [[same with Bobby DeBarge).

I think OF all the solo soul singers of his generation [[Smokey, Sam, Curtis, Donny, Stevie, Ray, Jackie and James), Marvin WAS indeed the greatest male singer of them all due to how many topics he could easily sing [[from love to politics, from sex to religion, from simple bubblegum love stuff to domestic issues) and of those I mentioned, Stevie [[and Donny in a sense) tried giving him a run for his money there.

That said, back on topic, the Marvin & Diana album probably shouldn't have happened.

Berry Gordy was so desperate to make Diana Ross as huge as Barbra Streisand was that he tried everything. Problem was producers in Motown [[and Diana herself) wanted to make her a little more earthier [[some songs on the solo debut from '70 hints at this attempt at earthiness, which is why BG initially had an issue with the redo of Ain't No Mountain High Enough, he felt too much was going on. Reach Out and Touch was a social anthem and it wasn't promoted because it was probably too black for pop radio [[which is why it only peaked #20; Berry was ticked, he wanted #1).

The follow-up, "Everything is Everything", was supposed to correct this, by having her record more pop with the Jackson 5 songwriters [[Deke Richards, Fonzo and Perren). "I'm Still Waiting" proved to be a hit in England but Motown's U.S. market hardly promoted it. I think a reason why is because Motown was being criticized by black press for "selling out" in the late '60s and it was around this time that Marvin's "What's Going On" came out and also competition from Philly International. Why "Waiting" never became a pop hit was never explained.

But anyway, after A&S returned with "Surrender", it also didn't quite catch on because, again, Diana was recording songs that were different from her Supremes output so Supremes fans turned away [[despite the fact that "Surrender" was probably the best of her solo recordings with Motown besides "The Boss" and "diana"). So they turned to film to get her solo career to REALLY take off. After "Lady Sings the Blues" did just that, Motown had her return to the studio to try to strike gold as a music artist and finally Michael Masser gave her "Touch Me in the Morning", which is what Berry Gordy was looking for Diana: a bonafide pop hit.

I think the Diana/Marvin album began to be produced before "Touch Me" [[and around the time Marvin began recording "Let's Get It On" or just before he did it).

So when did it start? 1972? Marvin was coming off "What's Going On" and one of the biggest contracts for an R&B artist at the time [[over a million dollars and creative freedom under the Tamla label). He was also working on both the score and soundtrack for "Trouble Man", his first full recording in Los Angeles, as he and Anna and Marvin III had just moved there.

I don't know how long Diana had filmed "Lady Sings the Blues" since the announcement came in 1971 and the film was released to theaters in late October 1972 [[around the time of Tracee's birth), but she also was doing interviews for the film, doing performances on TV, recording the soundtrack for "Lady" as well as "The Blues Album" that didn't get released until 2006. Also, pregnant with Tracee.

Plus it was no secret that Diana and Marvin were both divas, in that, they were pretty stubborn and, in the words of Marvin, "like two kids fighting over the same cookie". So of course, things were gonna come to a head and Marvin knew how to push Diana's buttons. He admitted years later that his behavior to Diana was nasty because Diana had a lot on her plate and he was feeling himself too much [[remember, this was a guy who when Motown staff called on to do concerts, told them to kick rocks lol).

Marvin did what he wanted to do. He surely lived up to the title of his first hit, "stubborn kind of fellow" [[I giggled when he added that part at the end of the song "Include Me In Your Life"). If he was gonna lay on the couch to sing, don't tell him to budge, if he wanted to do a song about how war was hell, you'd better not tell him the song sucks or he won't talk to you for two weeks [[ask Berry lol), if he wanted to quit music to play sports [[like he tried to), nothing was gonna stop him.

So of course if he wanted to smoke his weed [[and he did a lot of that during sessions after 1969) while recording, that was his prerogative. He was everything Bobby Brown sang about nearly twenty years later [["it's my prerogative, I can do what I wanna do"). So he wasn't gonna get told what to do. David Ruffin was probably similar to Marvin in that if someone told him to go left, he'd go right. And like Marvin, had issues with Diana. Both sang too strong over her lol

I also think a reason for why they recorded separately was also due to them having very busy schedules on their plate [[Marvin often stayed in that studio and Diana of course was still working like a doggone slave because Berry wouldn't let her rest).

I don't know when the delay occurred because D&M was supposed to come out in 1972 but Motown pushed it back because of MG's and DR's solo projects [[for Marvin, "Trouble Man" and "Let's Get It On"; for Diana, "Lady" and "Touch Me in the Morning") so the album was already done in '72 but Motown waited until late '73 to put it out. Bad timing because that was around the time Marvin was hot on the pop charts so Motown thought releasing D&M then and there would push Diana's pop music stature [[narrator: it didn't).

That said, their cover of "Stop Look Listen" became a favorite hip-hop sample for years [[but mainly the Marvin intro) and that album cover is beautiful.

I personally loved SLL as well as "Just Say, Just Say", "I Think I'm Falling in Love with You" and "Include Me In Your Life". I think if they had done more originals and not covers, their album could've been MUCH better!
    What a great post midnightman! You appear to cover the subject very well indeed.
    I am not sure what Marvin thought of the finished album but i know Diana was unhappy with the number of cover versions. You are also quite right when you say that she yearned to record "earthier" material than Berry would allow. She wanted to get away from the traditional Supremes sound that had made her a household name . She loved Marvin's classic albums, and also Stevie's. She wanted to record a complete album of socially aware material to be written and produced by Marvin, Stevie or Smokey, but the Diana and Marvin experience put her off from working with Marvin again so she concentrated her efforts on Stevie and Smokey. Once again Berry forbid her from recording anything too deep, and this stand off sowed the seeds in her mind that quitting Motown could be the way forward. Of course when she eventually quit Motown she recorded some of the weakest material of her entire career. By this time she acknowledged that it was too late to take a totally different direction for her music, and family was far more important to her than her career.
    Relations with Marvin gradually improved, and whilst they never became close friends they did gain a mutual respect for each others talents.

Yeah, by 1979, you can see that all the stuff that got them beefing during the D&M sessions, had really cooled. They also recorded a couple of duets [[in the studio together) that was better than the songs on D&M [[I'll Keep a Light in My Window is probably my favorite of the Gaye/Ross duets only because both of them were allowed to gel better; you can tell how chilly they were during D&M sessions because it showed in the recordings). And Marvin would sometimes show up at Diana's shows where Diana got Marvin to sing [[Vegas). I still love the footage Diana showed of Marvin being at her Brussels show in '82. Marvin called Diana one of the hardest working people he ever seen so yeah he definitely had respect for what Diana did.

I think with music, Diana got burned by Berry. She wanted to expand and Berry wanted her to stay where she's at so I can see how she was envious that Marvin & Stevie got to spread their wings artistically. Which is why her RCA output was disappointing. She was chasing the commercial success she left Motown with in 1981 and it never really returned.

Marvin Gaye sits atop the throne alone as my all time favorite male vocalist. There are some others who try to knock him off: Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Teddy P, Barry White [[who's actual vocal skill I believe is highly underrated), James Ingram, Jeffrey Osbourne, Peabo Bryson, to name a few of the other men whose voices wow me, but it's Marvin who knocks me out every single time. Like Diana, he can sing just about anything and seems so comfortable doing it. I love that in a singer.

On the other hand, Diana Ross has to share the throne as my all time favorite female vocalist with Aretha Franklin. Others come close [[Flo Ballard, Jean Terrell, Gladys Knight, Whitney Houston, Etta James, Natalie Cole, Faith Evans, Cheryl Gamble, among others) but my two queens can't be dethroned.

So while all the background information on the Diana & Marvin album is great to know, and I dig reading everyone's thoughts on what worked and what didn't, for me it comes down to what did the songs do for me? Overall I rate the album highly because it's Diana and Marvin together and in my mind it's hard for those two to come together and mess up. Were there too many covers? Probably. But I play this album frequently and I absolutely adore their version of "You Are Everything". I also love "Love Twins" [[I think the album should have been called that), "You're a Special Part of Me", "I Think I'm Falling In Love" and "Include Me In Your Life". At the end of the day the album makes sense to me.

However, I do believe a Diana & Smokey duet album would have been better, as I believe the two would have had more vocal chemistry. And with Smokey being the writer that he was, I'm sure the album would have been chocked full of original numbers, many of which would probably be Quiet Storm staples today. After Tammi, it was probably best if Marvin had left the duets alone.

Marvin Gaye sits atop the throne alone as my all time favorite male vocalist. There are some others who try to knock him off: Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Teddy P, Barry White [[who's actual vocal skill I believe is highly underrated), James Ingram, Jeffrey Osbourne, Peabo Bryson, to name a few of the other men whose voices wow me, but it's Marvin who knocks me out every single time. Like Diana, he can sing just about anything and seems so comfortable doing it. I love that in a singer.

On the other hand, Diana Ross has to share the throne as my all time favorite female vocalist with Aretha Franklin. Others come close [[Flo Ballard, Jean Terrell, Gladys Knight, Whitney Houston, Etta James, Natalie Cole, Faith Evans, Cheryl Gamble, among others) but my two queens can't be dethroned.

So while all the background information on the Diana & Marvin album is great to know, and I dig reading everyone's thoughts on what worked and what didn't, for me it comes down to what did the songs do for me? Overall I rate the album highly because it's Diana and Marvin together and in my mind it's hard for those two to come together and mess up. Were there too many covers? Probably. But I play this album frequently and I absolutely adore their version of "You Are Everything". I also love "Love Twins" [[I think the album should have been called that), "You're a Special Part of Me", "I Think I'm Falling In Love" and "Include Me In Your Life". At the end of the day the album makes sense to me.

However, I do believe a Diana & Smokey duet album would have been better, as I believe the two would have had more vocal chemistry. And with Smokey being the writer that he was, I'm sure the album would have been chocked full of original numbers, many of which would probably be Quiet Storm staples today. After Tammi, it was probably best if Marvin had left the duets alone.
    Smokey had actually prepared an album for Diana around '71-'72 which was to be titled " Satisfaction". Unfortunately Smokey was only able to get one vocal with "Kewpie Doll". Smokey's voice was there right along with Diana's and it sounded wonderful. Marvin also felt that he peaked as a singing partner with Tammi Terrell, but Berry Gordy insisted on that project. He thought that the album had a 60's concept out of step with the 70's too.

This would have been a cool picture to have on the back of the box. :-)

Name:  FD1848C4-1E34-40C6-BC8B-05C4014B8255.jpg
Views: 1143
Size:  14.7 KB

Smokey had actually prepared an album for Diana around '71-'72 which was to be titled " Satisfaction". Unfortunately Smokey was only able to get one vocal with "Kewpie Doll". Smokey's voice was there right along with Diana's and it sounded wonderful. Marvin also felt that he peaked as a singing partner with Tammi Terrell, but Berry Gordy insisted on that project. He thought that the album had a 60's concept out of step with the 70's too.
    "Kewpie Doll" is great. I thought someone said there's another Smokey production on Diana in the vaults. Even now I think Diana and Smokey teaming up for a duet album might yield some quality tunes.

I share your list very closely, except that Ella Fitzgerald, for me, was the greatest vocalist, male or female, of all time.

Even with all the problems associated with this album, I have rated it highly right from when it was released. It's an absolute "crime" that, for whatever reason, I've Come To Love You So Much was not fully finished as I feel that it would have been THE track from the album.

There is scope to revisit this album to include all of the different mixes, unedited versions of the songs we know about [[You're A Special Part Of Me and You Are Everything at track time 2:18) and any more that we don't. Also, remix the songs to "brighten them up a bit" and weave in more of the vocal tracks like what was achieved with Stop, Look and Listen on the reissued To Love Again album.

We need "Diana and Marvin Plus"

I never understood why the fact that they recorded their vocals separately is such a big deal. Most duets are recorded this way. I don’t know what the sale numbers are, but when I was a kid, I use to enjoy looking at peoples-usually adults, record collections and everyone seemed to have it.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    Even with all the problems associated with this album, I have rated it highly right from when it was released. It's an absolute "crime" that, for whatever reason, I've Come To Love You So Much was not fully finished as I feel that it would have been THE track from the album.

There is scope to revisit this album to include all of the different mixes, unedited versions of the songs we know about [[You're A Special Part Of Me and You Are Everything at track time 2:18) and any more that we don't. Also, remix the songs to "brighten them up a bit" and weave in more of the vocal tracks like what was achieved with Stop, Look and Listen on the reissued To Love Again album.

We need "Diana and Marvin Plus"
    I have to agree. With all its faults this is a pleasant LP and an historic collab. Unedit-es, solo versions, etc would all make up interesting extra material.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    They also recorded a couple of duets [[in the studio together) that was better than the songs on D&M [[I'll Keep a Light in My Window is probably my favorite of the Gaye/Ross duets only because both of them were allowed to gel better; you can tell how chilly they were during D&M sessions because it showed in the recordings).
    Midnightman, you mention a couple of recordings above and name I'll Keep My Light, do you know any more about the other recording[[s) please?

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    I never understood why the fact that they recorded their vocals separately is such a big deal. Most duets are recorded this way. I don’t know what the sale numbers are, but when I was a kid, I use to enjoy looking at peoples-usually adults, record collections and everyone seemed to have it.
    I agree. It was one of the first albums I ever bought, for $5 at Sears and Roebuck. I loved it, especially JUST SAY, JUST SAY, MY MISTAKE, and INCLUDE ME IN YOUR LIFE. When my aunt heard it, she asked to borrow it. Later, she even bought me a "Diana & Marvin" t-shirt. :-)

I never had a problem with the Diana & Marvin album. It never sounded to me like they weren't singing with each other. To me it sounded like an adult album. I enjoyed the cover songs. The album seemed a fun diversion.

I also rated the album when first released, many Motown artists did covers, for me they both handled Thom Bell songs well, more romantic sounding than even the Stylistics.

I would also have included Al Green in your list of great male vocalists, but i think i agree with you when you say Marvin was probably the greatest of them all. I agree that Diana and Smokey would have probably worked better. Marvin had had more than enough duet partners by this time.

[QUOTE=rovereab;433777]Even with all the problems associated with this album, I have rated it highly right from when it was released. It's an absolute "crime" that, for whatever reason, I've Come To Love You So Much was not fully finished as I feel that it would have been THE track from the album.

We need "Diana and Marvin Plus" [/QUOTE

Yes we do! Diana thought 3 more completed duet performances remained in the vaults, but as ever she could not recall the titles. Her memory of tracks she recorded is not the best so i cannot say for sure if these tracks do indeed exist, but she recalled there was virtually enough material for a double album so we can live in hope.

I do wonder how many tracks they recorded for the album! Seems like they had a lot of material and what was eventually released was probably not the best ones lol

Wouldn't surprise me. Motown kept artists in the studio and both Diana and Marvin recorded so many songs over the years that it wouldn't surprise me if there are least 100 songs from each that have yet to be unearthed.

No wonder Diana has no memory lol Motown had her always in the studio.

This board has a lot to read so I hope that it was mentioned that an expanded CD edition was issued a few years ago within four bonus tracks.

Name:  AA8FDE09-921A-4B25-8E87-084FF2CA8028.jpg
Views: 1080
Size:  19.9 KB
    Last edited by longtimefan; 01-07-2018 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    I share your list very closely, except that Ella Fitzgerald, for me, was the greatest vocalist, male or female, of all time.
    Only in the last year or so have I begun to appreciate the greatness that was Ella Fitzgerald. I could never rank singers as "greatest". Too many different voices, different strengths, different weaknesses. But obviously some move me more than others, which is what my list of singers was all about. I have to be in a certain mood for Ella Fitzgerald, but man am I glad I've started to discover what she was really all about.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    It's used as a dig at Diana Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    I also rated the album when first released, many Motown artists did covers, for me they both handled Thom Bell songs well, more romantic sounding than even the Stylistics.
    I prefer Diana and Marvin's version of "You Are Everything" to the Stylistics version, both of which I rate pretty high. I love their version of "Stop, Look, Listen" but I am more partial to the Stylistics version of it. I play the Stylistics version much more than Diana and Marvin's.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I would also have included Al Green in your list of great male vocalists, but i think i agree with you when you say Marvin was probably the greatest of them all. I agree that Diana and Smokey would have probably worked better. Marvin had had more than enough duet partners by this time.
    Al "Grits" Green is DEFINITELY on my list. As great as he was on record, he was phenomenal live. At least judging from the videos I've watched. Crazy talent. But I reiterate my response to Thanxal in that my list wasn't about "great", because I can't rate greatness of one talented singer over another when it comes to vocals. I can only go by how I'm moved. Marvin almost never fails me [[not crazy about his post Columbia work) and I'm sure he tops a lot of people's lists as one of the greats. On the other hand, the late Tim Hauser of the Manhattan Transfer is another one of my favs. He may seem out of place alongside those other voices I named, but I could listen to him sing all day.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    This board has a lot to read so I hope that it was mentioned that an expanded CD edition was issued a few years ago within four bonus tracks.
    Thanks Longtimefan. Most of us fans of the album are aware of the rerelease with bonus tracks. We have our fingers crossed for an expanded edition of the album with the full solo vocal versions of each song, if they still exist.

Thank you, Ranran. I just thought perhaps some of readers might not know. I realize that the topic du jour on this thread is in regard to a far greater “expanded” edition than what I mentioned, but I thought I’d post to be sure. Sorry to add to the lengthy narrative unnecessarily.

Have a good day.
    Last edited by longtimefan; 01-07-2018 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    Thank you, Ranran. I just thought perhaps some of readers might not know. I realize that the topic du jour on this thread is in regard to a far greater “expanded” edition than what I mentioned, but I thought I’d post to be sure. Sorry to add to the lengthy narrative unnecessarily.

Have a good day.
    No need to be sorry! There might very well be someone reading the thread who is unaware of the bonus tracks and you will have passed along valuable information. There was nothing "unnecessary" about your post at all.