[REMOVE ADS]

PODCAST/ BETTY DAVIS - Ep103: The Mystique of Betty Davis - w Oliver Wang [[Dec/2017)

Here's a neat interview with Oliver Wang that gives a great synopsis of Davis' life and career. Wang did the liner notes for Davis' re-issues on Light In The Attic. He's one of only a handful of people who have interviewed her over the past 30 years.

Ep103: The Mystique of Betty Davis - w Oliver Wang
    Betty Davis wrote 3 of the most influential albums of the 1970s and then disappeared. Today we learn about her life, music and records while attempting to glimpse into her decision to walk away from it all. Oliver Wang, music and cultural journalist, talks us through the life and mystique of Betty Davis.
    http://podbay.fm/show/1048766030/e/1512376500?autostart=1

Also, here are two links for some really lengthy exerpts from his liners notes:
    These excerpted Liner Notes appeared for the first time on Light in the Attic’s reissues of "Betty Davis" and "Nasty Girl." Here are a few sample quotes from each:

http://www.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/betty-davis-liner-notes/

Of the eight songs that appeared on the album, at least two were older songs that she had originally written for the Commodores [[who Betty wrote for when they first got signed to Motown): “Walkin Up the Road” and “Game Is My Middle Name.”
    ----------
    For her part, Betty tired of the constant comparisons to everyone, male and female alike. She told Frederick Murphy in a 1974 article for Black Stars, “I’m me and I’m different; my music is just another level of funk. I love Tina [[Turner), but we are two totally different people. The same with Jimi Hendrix, Sly Stone, Larry Graham, and Stevie Wonder. We all make your fingers pop, but for different reasons… so don’t compare me.”

---------------------------------------------------

From "Nasty Girl":
    http://www.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/betty-davis-nasty-gal/

Having paid her dues on and off the road, her big break was finally just around the corner. In 1974, Blue Thumb, the distributor of her record label Just Sunshine, was acquired by ABC/Paramount. Her contract was up for grabs. Through the help of her then-lover Robert “Addicted To Love” Palmer, she landed a deal with Island. “I had a lot of offers,” Betty said at the time, “but I decided to go with Chris Blackwell and Island Records. They’d been the first to really get into reggae, the first to push blue-eyed soul in a big way with Traffic and the like. So, since I wanted to be a first as well, I decided to go with them.”
    ----------
    She despaired in Essence: “The business I’m in killed one of my friends [[Jimi Hendrix). I saw what performing did to Miles…Those who don’t die physically, die emotionally. It’s hard to keep it together personally; you have to give yourself to the public in pieces and by the time you get through giving the pieces away, you don’t know who you are.”

Excellent - thanks so much - Robert Palmer - who knew?