[REMOVE ADS]

20 milestones in Motown history

Subjective lists are pointless to argue about, so I don't have a problem with this list. However, personally, if I were compiling a list of the most important dates in Motown history, I would be unable to leave off the dates that Berry signed Mary Wells, the Tempts, the 4 Tops, Martha and the Vandellas, the Marvelettes, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Gladys and the Pips, and especially the Supremes. In my mind there was no Motown- in terms of the reverence reserved for this very special record label- if it were not for these artists. For all the talk we do about Motown signing and then wasting talents, the truth for me is that few of those folks had that undeniable quality that made the folks on my list "stars". Would the Velvelettes have done what the Supremes or Martha and Vandellas did? I don't think so. Would the Monitors have captured the public's attention like the Temptations or 4 Tops? I doubt it. Brenda Holloway is probably the one true solo STAR that didn't get a chance to rise. So my list would have to include the signing dates of these legendary artists. But overall I don't have an issue with this particular list.

Very subjective.

They fail to mention what Marvin & Stevie did in the early '70s that really changed the R&B game. Just skipped that... smh

All that talent that surrounded Motown... in terms of a label making stars, NO OTHER LABEL I know made stars as much as Motown did.

A good point, well made, RanRan. Although to include the contract signing dates for all those artists would have lengthened the list substantially, and assuming such dates are all known and accurate. Has there ever been a confirmed date published for the Miracles' first contract with BG [[for management and, presumably, for recording) in 1957? After them, you'd have to say the important artists signed up were Eddie Holland, Marv Johnson and Barrett Strong, although none are quite the superstars you cite [[unless you count Eddie as a superstar because of HDH).

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  21.1 KB
    I need a list of 30-40, or 50 even better, to get all the important events listed. How can we leave off the signing of Mickey Stevenson, Eddie and Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier, Norman Whitfield, Gwen and Harvey Fuqua bringing their operation and staff in, Cholly Atkins, Bringing in Joe Hunter's Band, Mike McLean, Maurice King, Motown's Finishing School, signing Ivy Jo Hunter, Al Abrams, Dr. Beans Bowles..... and on and on?

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  21.1 KB
    I need a list of 30-40, or 50 even better, to get all the important events listed. How can we leave off the signing of Mickey Stevenson, Eddie and Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier, Norman Whitfield, Gwen and Harvey Fuqua bringing their operation and staff in, Cholly Atkins, Bringing in Joe Hunter's Band, Mike McLean, Maurice King, Motown's Finishing School, signing Ivy Jo Hunter, Al Abrams, Dr. Beans Bowles..... and on and on?
    Excellent points Robb. There would have not been a Motown as we know it without any of those individuals.

^^ Because to many "music journalists", A&R and producers are not considered "as important". Which is stupid because these people PUT IN WORK.