[REMOVE ADS]

Aretha Franklin in Barbados

"Amazing Grace" sleeve by Aretha Franklin shows a photo of the artist dressing an african red glown, sitting on what seems to be the entry of Sam Lord's Castle https://goo.gl/maps/1G4d1QaSxaQ2 , a mansion turned in hotel [[now disappeared) on the east cost of Barbados. According with a book she visited the island before the two-days service at the Baptist church that became the album.
    Her boyfriend Ken Cunninghan shot both front and back cover image. I'd like to find out the exact day the photo was taken.
    BTW Nina Simone lived there for a time. If Aretha visited Barbados to ask permission to cover"Young, Gifted and Black", is it possible both meet in the Hotel the same time the photo was taken?

[[I guess dates does't match, YGB recorded end 70 and early 71, maybe different travels to Barbados)
    Feedback welcome

In her book FROM THESE ROOTS, Aretha wrote that she ran into Nina while vacationing with Ken at Sam Lord's castle in Barbados. She mentioned that they had several poolside lunches.

She didn't give a date, but mentioned that Nina's YOUNG, GIFTED, AND BLACK was the title tune of her most recent album. That album was released in January of 1972. I doubt Aretha had to personally ask Nina for permission to record the song, leaving that to the publishing company.

Interesting info all around. I always loved Cunningham's photography of Aretha.