[REMOVE ADS]

Marvelettes: Motown Unreleased

In the “Motown Unreleased Series 1963-1967 “ I notice only two tracks by The Marvelettes, i.e., SWEET TALKIN’ GUY and DESTINATION ANYWHERE. In all of these many, many volumes, am I the only one who finds it strange that The Marvelettes are so underrepresented?

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    In the “Motown Unreleased Series 1963-1967 “ I notice only two tracks by The Marvelettes, i.e., SWEET TALKIN’ GUY and DESTINATION ANYWHERE. In all of these many, many volumes, am I the only one who finds it strange that The Marvelettes are so underrepresented?
    No, Their not underrepresented at all really. I don't know if you're aware of this,but two box sets were released on them in 2009 and 2011 respectively. They were sold on Universal's HipoSelect website and also through retail."Forever Vol.1" and "Forever More Vol.2" brought together every studio/live album and completed unreleased tracks that existed in the vaults as far as they knew. The fourth disc on the second set boasted 24 newly discovered tracks from 1961 to 1970 that required mixing if I remember the production credits right. I also remember them talking about a track called "Grass Seems Greener" that was supposedly a demo, but ended up surfacing on a "Motown Girls" compilation.Anyway, the only tracks they didn't utilize were those that were in various stages of completion [[incomplete). "Sweet Talkin' Guy" might've been one of those songs from 1966 as was "Girls Need Love Love and Affection" from the same year. I said all of that to say that given all of the recorded output that Universal has given us so far on the group, they may very well be extracting from the bare bones left over. At this point any song[[s) that we get unless they didn't know about them are just treats for the fans.We basically have everything,so while they may be underrepresented on these copyright collections,overall they are inarguably represented. What else can be done? what do they do now?
    Last edited by Quinn; 01-03-2018 at 06:02 AM.

I actually only said “underrepresented” in terms of the annual 1963-67 “Motown Unreleased” series. Of course I know they had the two box sets and a track or two on anthologies of unreleased material.

I clearly referred to their absence on the many volumes of the “Motown Unreleased” series and was not referring to the complete Marvelettes’ catalog. Obviously, their well has run dry since they do not appear [[except twice) on these current, annual unreleased packages. I thought this was a forum where we discussed our questions, thoughts and insights. I was not minimizing their career output in the least but rather the current topic at hand, i.e., the “Motown Unreleased” sets and the regret many of us share that they do not have additional vaulted material. Wishing that there was more to be had is not a criticism but rather a complement to their great work.
    Last edited by longtimefan; 01-03-2018 at 07:25 AM.

The Marvelettes well has run dry - almost! With Motown you can of course never say never as songs sometimes are found mislabelled or not labelled at all.

I think Quinn answered the question you posed, i.e. is it strange that the Marvelettes are so under-represented [[in the Motown Unreleased packages). The answer is no it isn't strange because of the wealth of vaulted material they've already had released on the Forever sets but also other releases such as Cellarful. On the evidence of "Sweet Talkin' Guy" they needn't have bothered looking. JMHO.

I actually only said “underrepresented” in terms of the annual 1963-67 “Motown Unreleased” series. Of course I know they had the two box sets and a track or two on anthologies of unreleased material.

I clearly referred to their absence on the many, many volumes of the “Motown Unreleased” series and was not referring to their complete Marvelettes’ catalog. Obviously, their well has run dry since they do not appear [[except twice) on these current, annual unreleased packages. I thought this was a forum where we discussed our questions, thoughts and insights. I was not minimizing their career output in the least but rather the current topic at hand, i.e., the “Motown Unreleased” sets and the regret many of us share that they do not have additional vaulted material. Wishing that there was more to be had is not a criticism but rather a complement to their great work.
    Well excuse me for trying to help. My post wasn't intended to upset you or to rub you the wrong way at all. I wasn't trying to be sarcastic or condescending, I was just trying assist in making a great discussion. You're right, this is a place where we discuss our thoughts and insights. In agreement with that statement,what was wrong with what I said?. I went into the group's catalog to paint an overall picture,not to make you sound dumb founded. I just wanted to make conversation with you. And no, I don't find it strange that they're "underrepresented", I would expect it because the gifts have been given already. I know you "wish" there was more but everything has to end at some point.
    Last edited by Quinn; 01-03-2018 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    I think Quinn answered the question you posed, i.e. is it strange that the Marvelettes are so under-represented [[in the Motown Unreleased packages). The answer is no it isn't strange because of the wealth of vaulted material they've already had released on the Forever sets but also other releases such as Cellarful. On the evidence of "Sweet Talkin' Guy" they needn't have bothered looking. JMHO.
    Thank You. Good to know there are people on this forum who can pay attention and read with understanding.
    Last edited by Quinn; 01-03-2018 at 08:03 AM.

Longtime fan,
    You ask a question regarding Golden World [[GW). Several people take the trouble to answer your question, and then you cannot be bothered to reply or thank those who tried to help you.
    You ask about The Marvelettes , and Quinn tries to help you with a perfectly sensible answer that you don't seem able to understand and are sarcastic.
    I think you need to learn some manners, if not, don't ask forum members to help you.

i'll take a different approach to "under represented."

I do agree that we've already received probably just about everything we can on the Marvelettes except for potentially "unreleasable" stuff - things with wrong notes, errors, etc.

But i agree that they're under represented in the sense that they obviously had considerably less studio time than most other big artists at Motown. MRATV, Sups, Four tops, temps, Marvin, Miracles, etc all were doing much more recording. and while we know the Marvelettes really hit rough waters by 68 or 69, for the years these Unreleased sets represent [[63 - 67), one might think there should simply be more material

My thought is that the Marvelettes just weren't quite as adept or strong of singers as some of the other groups. mostly in terms of versatility. Gladys has even gone on record stating this - that her group would not be striving for the Copa but for the Fox. therefore they didn't record much specialty material. and they really did more of the traditional "girl group" content. Once martha came on board with a whole new sound for female groups and then the Supremes, there really was not as much need for the Marvelettes. therefore when motown was really exploding and entering the years of doing their most recording, the Marvelettes weren't doing much

When the 2nd box set came out "Forever More," I believe it was Keith Hughes who was interviewed by Midnight Johnny and Keith said that they indeed had put everything out that they had found in the vault. I had asked him if there were any live recordings that had never been released and my big disappointment at the time [[and still) is that he indicated that there were no unknown live recordings in the vault. I would love to hear a show from the latter day Marvelettes with Wanda on lead. Unfortunately, he said they found no live recordings on the group at all.

yeah it seams that motown really stopped investing in them pretty early on. I wonder if there were any other behind-the-scenes issues. Gladys is an amazing singer - loved her on the early work and would have loved to hear how she developed as a soul singer as the years progressed. I like Wanda but sometimes her falsettos is grating to me, just my opinion. So long as they limited her headvoice, i do love her smokey vocals.

I understand that once the Sups and the other big groups hit hard by late 64, those groups that were at B level, struggled to move up. But it seems motown lost interest in the group well before this. once Martha hit in 63 it seems no one at motown cared about the Marvelettes and they immediately went onto back burner. seems premature IMO

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    yeah it seams that motown really stopped investing in them pretty early on. I wonder if there were any other behind-the-scenes issues. Gladys is an amazing singer - loved her on the early work and would have loved to hear how she developed as a soul singer as the years progressed. I like Wanda but sometimes her falsettos is grating to me, just my opinion. So long as they limited her headvoice, i do love her smokey vocals.

I understand that once the Sups and the other big groups hit hard by late 64, those groups that were at B level, struggled to move up. But it seems motown lost interest in the group well before this. once Martha hit in 63 it seems no one at motown cared about the Marvelettes and they immediately went onto back burner. seems premature IMO
    Sups I'm not a fan of 99 percent of the Ian Levine stuff and refuse to collect much of it or research any of it. But I once bought a compilation set of cds during a sale my job was having. The set included Barry White's No Limit On Love [[my main reason for purchasing), and a live Sound of Philadelphia cd, which was a more recent recording rather than a 70s recording as I had hoped. The set also included a compilation cd of- if memory serves me- classic girl groups. I believe the cd ended up being Ian Levine recordings. Anyway, one of the songs was the Marvelettes "Secret Love Affair", which sounds like Gladys on lead. If so, she was great. Her voice had aged very well and based on her sound I don't think there is any good reason why Gladys couldn't have forged a respectable career in r&b post Marvelettes. I actually think with some remixing for radio, "Secret Love Affair" could have made some noise. As it is, it's one of a handful- and I do mean handful- of songs from the Motorcity camp that I actually like.

As for Wanda, I agree with you 100 percent. Wanda doing those high notes is annoying as hell. I'm so glad that Smokey helped her find her groove because she developed into a wonderful vocalist under his direction.

@RanRan79, yes "Secret Love Affair" is one of the songs Gladys sang for Levine. I believe there were just 2 albums, "Marvelettes Now!" and a "Greatest Hits" which as I recall had some tracks from "Now!" and some newly recorded tracks.

Gladys' vocals were flawless. If anything, her voice improved a lot over the years. Wanda had vocals on "Now" but none on the "Greatest Hits" package that were new. Her voice was still good and certainly recognizable as being her, but I think the ravages of her personal life and struggles with drugs did affect her voice a good deal.

Some of Levine's stuff is okay. I remember one track I liked sung by Wanda was "Holding On With Both Hands" which had echoes of "Danger Heartbreak Dead Ahead" and "I'll Keep Holding On" in the lyrics. The biggest problem with Levine's productions were the very pedestrian arrangements, the lack of imagination and the overuse of the same old drum machine backing tracks. To me, that makes the albums almost unlistenable, as much as I love both Wanda and Gladys.

Just my opinion, but I think much had to do with the Marvelettes lack of standing at Motown over the years. I even think some of it had to do with their name, which evoked more of a 50s girl group than a more contemporary name might have. It also seems, at least amongst the girl groups at Motown, that they had more internal problems [[at least unrelated to personalities as in the Supremes) because of Wanda's personal demons. They seemed to lack ego-driven problems, and certainly there never seemed to be any feud between Gladys and Wanda to share leads. It's a shame they couldn't have survived longer but they did have a good [[nearly) 10 year run and a number of great albums as their legacy.
    Last edited by kenneth; 01-03-2018 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    Well excuse me for trying to help. My post wasn't intended to upset you or to rub you the wrong way at all. I wasn't trying to be sarcastic or condescending, I was just trying assist in making a great discussion. You're right, this is a place where we discuss our thoughts and insights. In agreement with that statement,what was wrong with what I said?. I went into the group's catalog to paint an overall picture,not to make you sound dumb founded. I just wanted to make conversation with you. And no, I don't find it strange that they're "underrepresented", I would expect it because the gifts have been given already. I know you "wish" there was more but everything has to end at some point.
    Dear Quinn,
    I regret that my email sounded unpleasant. It was not intended that way. Rather, I was trying to be very clear about which recordings I was referring to, and even stated that this was “not a criticism but rather a complement” because they are great artists and under appreciated. I know you were trying to help and that’s why I mentioned the value of a discussion forum.

In the future I will have to be more careful with how I express myself. Maybe “strange” should have been “unfortunate for fans.” I enjoy all of the posts regardless of their view. I learn so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    Thank You. Good to know there are people on this forum who can pay attention and read with understanding.
    Dear Quinn,
    I regret that my email sounded unpleasant. It was not intended that way. Rather, I was trying to be very clear about which recordings I was referring to, and even stated that this was “not a criticism but rather a complement” because they are great artists and under appreciated. I know you were trying to help and that’s why I mentioned the value of a discussion forum.

In the future I will have to be more careful with how I express myself. Maybe “strange” should have been “unfortunate for fans.” I enjoy all of the posts regardless of their view. I learn so much.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Longtime fan,
    You ask a question regarding Golden World [[GW). Several people take the trouble to answer your question, and then you cannot be bothered to reply or thank those who tried to help you.
    You ask about The Marvelettes , and Quinn tries to help you with a perfectly sensible answer that you don't seem able to understand and are sarcastic.
    I think you need to learn some manners, if not, don't ask forum members to help you.
    Dear Snakepit,

I learn so much from posters and often say thank you, but perhaps I need to do so more often. I regret that you feel I need to learn some manners. I meant no harm and appreciated the many, many GW posts that you and Quinn [[and other) Took time to share. I have had many wonderful conversations sharing with SDF fans over the years and I hope to have more with you, too, in future. I apologize for anyone I offended by not offering my thanks.
    Last edited by longtimefan; 01-03-2018 at 03:40 PM.

Dear longtimefan,
    I hope to have more conversations with you too, so let's move on and help each other with our knowledge and love of Motown.

Dear longtimefan,
    I hope to have more conversations with you too, so let's move on and help each other with our knowledge and love of Motown.
    Thank you! [[Smile)

I am basically a collector of the music, and have never really focused on memorabilia, articles, etc., so I enjoy this world of posting, discussing, and having questions answered on the Net. I have read many of the Motown related books,however.

I have been around this music since ‘63 and have had the pleasure of seeing virtually all of these major performers, most several times. But now in this world of the Net, I value what I was privilege to expand my knowledge even more because of the information that I have gained. We are all blessed with the opportunities that technology brings!

Oh, may I mention that I even saw The Supremes first engagement at The Copa. LOL

Have a good day.

We need lovers of Motown to come on here and discuss, question, support the legacy of our passion for the label. The detailed history is fast disappearing.
    This forum is a shadow of it's former self, and we all know why.
    So any 'interest' in artists like The Marvelettes is encouraged.

It is a drag that there are not any "LIVE" recordings of the Marvelettes after Motortown Revue Vol.2. I saw them LIVE in 66 on the Otis Redding tour & they were GREAT. Kat, Gladys & Wanda [[no Andantes behind the curtain,LOL).

Does anyone else wonder if the Andantes are one Too Many Fish in the Sea? of course it's the four Marvelettes doing the lead lines on the chorus but the background vocals sound very full and strong. not to slight the girls but frankly the backgrounds sound better than the typical marvelettes. Their earlier material was, charmingly, always just a touch out of tune. but here the vocals are impeccable.

Dear Quinn,

Apology accepted. Mistakes are apart of the fabric of life and we improve as people because of them. I have to say that even though I'm one of the youngest members here,this forum is a godsend. Not many people in my age group care or are even remotely interested in this timeless music. They're too busy listening to what's on the airwaves today,which certainly doesn't constitute or come close to the classics. That's frustrating to me because in that aspect I'm a lone ranger,all by myself. In order to share what I know, give my opinion and be taught too I have to come here around the mature,fully informed and learned folks. And just as the great Snakepit said, this forum today isn't quite what it was 10+ years ago so restoration is badly needed. People have passed away,got distracted or just don't care so we have to try to continue this the old fashioned way. We have something in common and are able to come together. Thank you for being here and helping to pump the life blood back into this forum.

I say its only the Marvelettes on "Too Many Fish...."It was 4 on there.Georgeanna was still recording with them on that.

"Sweet Talkin' Guy" needed a lot of restoration - probably that's why it was left off the Forevers.

The stock of unreleased Marvelettes tracks is indeed very low, but there should be another one along soon.

Kurt Mohr published a full list of the performers on "Too Many Fish" and it didn't include the Andantes. There's no annotation for "voices" [[the usual way of denoting non-group singers) in the logs or on the tape card.

I have never been interviewed by Midnight Johnny.

Keith
    Last edited by keith_hughes; 01-03-2018 at 05:43 PM.

Hello Quinn,
    Great Snakepit??
    Some would say Snakepit grates ha ha..
    Slightly taking the topic off on a tangent here..
    OK The Marvelettes' well has run dry.
    What about the under representation of The Originals ?
    I'd like to think that Ace have a project in mind. There must be a fair amount of recorded tracks from 1966-67.
    Stevie Wonder? Presumably he blocks them?
    Most of the 'regular' artists must be virtually covered by now...the upcoming Girls vol 3 might be interesting...

If Keith pops in here again, I hope he can confirm that there is an Edwin Starr version of The Spinners "I'll always love you". I'm sure I have heard a boot tape with that on.

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    "Sweet Talkin' Guy" needed a lot of restoration - probably that's why it was left off the Forevers.

The stock of unreleased Marvelettes tracks is indeed very low, but there should be another one along soon.

Kurt Mohr published a full list of the performers on "Too Many Fish" and it didn't include the Andantes. There's no annotation for "voices" [[the usual way of denoting non-group singers) in the logs or on the tape card.

Keith
    Hey Keith, can't wait for "Motown Girls 3" to see what you've discovered on the feminine side of the Motown legacy. I can certainly believe that the audio on "Sweet Talkin' Guy" needed to be restored.Despite not having many great qualities,one thing to take note of is Benny Benjamin's drumming on the track.There are few fills and pick up's,he played straight ahead[[probably instructed by Brian Holland to keep it simple), but his feel on that track is marvelous.Because he's low in the mix you have to listen very close to hear his flawless timekeeping. It kind of reminds me of his barely audible performance on The Isley Brothers "You've Got So Much To Shout About" in which he gives a drumming clinic, but you have to strain your ear to hear him swing.

Hello Quinn,
    Great Snakepit??
    Some would say Snakepit grates ha ha..
    Slightly taking the topic off on a tangent here..
    OK The Marvelettes' well has run dry.
    What about the under representation of The Originals ?
    I'd like to think that Ace have a project in mind. There must be a fair amount of recorded tracks from 1966-67.
    Most of the 'regular' artists must be virtually covered by now...the upcoming Girls vol 3 might be interesting...
    Hey Snake.Everyone here is great to me,I just wanted to give you your props as you never fail to give me the same thing[[smile).
    I'm somewhat with you on The Originals, but I don't think that their recording activity really blossomed until after Marvin plugged them with "Baby,I'm For Real".HDH were their sponsors and by Lamont Dozier being close with the guys, they probably made Berry Gordy believe that they could be more than background vocalists. "Suspicion" from 1966 was a hidden sleeper and was probably the first song they recorded in their own right at Motown.I like what Smokey provided also with "Ain't Nothin' In This World Like My Baby",though I would like to hear the other song[[s) he produced.One of the fellas said it was a couple of things they did with Smokey.If there's more in the archive I would hope that it was interesting, but we may have the best tracks from them already.
    As far as Stevie is concerned,his tunes are probably just not up to snuff to warrant release.We do have some tracks on previous volumes so I don't think he's contesting the release of them,they just don't make the grade.You have to think,Clarence Paul was his primary producer and early father figure.Clarence's inspiration and production style root was the blues,he was a blues master and taught Mickey Stevenson the fundamentals of it.But while it may have been fun to sing,it wasn't fun to spend money on recording it.In fact, bringing Stevie to the company is what kept him on the production staff cause Mick was about to let him go.So taking all of that into account plus not loving the tracks that have surfaced on Motown Unreleased so far,it would not surprise me that Keith & Harry would deem his tracks mediocre.
    With the good graces of God,we'll all be here to discuss "Motown Girls III".

Nice to see a discussion on my favorite girl group[of all time]the marvelous marvelettes,i had the pleasure of seeing them live back in the day and they were great,as stated when the supremes hit their stride it was curtains for wanda and the girls god bless smokey for paying attention to them[don't mess with bill-the hunter gets captured by the game]which kept them afloat in the mid-late sixties,i too wish that there was more but i have the treasures and they will always be-my girls!

I know this off topic, but how can Stevie Wonder block tracks from being released? I didn't think he had control of his 60's recordings. Only things he did after his 1971 renegotiated contract. If tracks like "I Gave Up Quality For Quantity" came out on the old Cellarful of Motown series and "Till Twelve O'Clock" on Unreleased 1965, then why haven't we seen any unreleased 1967 Stevie tracks?

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post

Keith
    Sorry Keith. It must have been one of the other Big Wigs.

I believe Katherine has referred to some ego problems in the group

Hello Quinn,
    Yes it could be that The Originals don't have enough vaulted tracks left, particularly 66-67.
    It was rumoured that Motown issued "We've got a way out love" as an unfinished track to spite HDH upon their quitting. Not sure if it can be proved.
    Perhaps 69-72 period after their succesful singles...hopefully there are tracks left, as they worked with numerous producers.
    I would love to see their albums issued on a collection type of CD, with some bonus u/I tracks.
    Similar to the GK& TPs albums several years ago.
    Re Stevie, iI thought he had power to control post 1971... But hoped that unissued might be available from 65-70....maybe not after all.

i wonder if stevie has control of the unreleased content that he wrote/produced? if someone else produced it, maybe that would be released? just speculating

Who knows,
    Keith has mentioned clearance issues....in the case of Stevie, I feel that his back catalogue [[ I.e. unissued 64-70) seems to be at a lower level than other main artists [[ not my classication BTW) but the generally accepted..
    DRATS, M Gaye, Four Tops, Temptations, MR & TV.

As a fan of The Marvelettes, I have greatly enjoyed reading all the information shared on this thread. I couldn't help but note that the bulk of comments were made in the space of 24 hours. As a former teacher, I know the effect of a full moon period, and with this current "super moon," I can see where comments made could possibly be misinterpreted. Happy to see that ruffled feathers have been smoothed. Maybe Ralph should not allow posts on full moon periods. LOL! That aside, I wish you all a Happy New Year and look forward to reading and learning more about our favourite subject - Motown Music!
    Last edited by Mark Desjardines; 01-05-2018 at 12:17 AM.

If Keith pops in here again, I hope he can confirm that there is an Edwin Starr version of The Spinners "I'll always love you". I'm sure I have heard a boot tape with that on.

I was just re-reading this tread and came upon your question. I'm sure you've got [[and heard) your answer recently.

Lucky
    Yes thanks..got it on 69..
    I'd hear it on tape years ago and was surprised it took so long. It is popular in the UK [[Spinners version) with Motown/ Northern Soul/60s collectors)

Lucky
    Yes thanks..got it on 69..
    I'd hear it on tape years ago and was surprised it took so long. It is popular in the UK [[Spinners version) with Motown/ Northern Soul/60s collectors)
    Although on hearing it, it sounds like a demo/ run through to me.

I clearly referred to their absence on the many volumes of the “Motown Unreleased” series and was not referring to the complete Marvelettes’ catalog. Obviously, their well has run dry since they do not appear [[except twice) on these current, annual unreleased packages. I thought this was a forum where we discussed our questions, thoughts and insights. I was not minimizing their career output in the least but rather the current topic at hand, i.e., the “Motown Unreleased” sets and the regret many of us share that they do not have additional vaulted material. Wishing that there was more to be had is not a criticism but rather a complement to their great work.
    Well that's a little snarky. If you knew the answer to your question, then why ask?

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    It is a drag that there are not any "LIVE" recordings of the Marvelettes after Motortown Revue Vol.2. I saw them LIVE in 66 on the Otis Redding tour & they were GREAT. Kat, Gladys & Wanda [[no Andantes behind the curtain,LOL).
    I would like to die for that to hear the Marvelettes as a trio live

Quote Originally Posted by Fullfillingnessfirstfinale View Post
    I would like to die for that to hear the Marvelettes as a trio live
    If only! I'm still holding out hope that there may someday be such a discovery in the vaults. It's inconceivable that no one would have ever recorded the Marvelettes live in their later days, but I suppose since they were not a priority at Motown perhaps no one bothered. But remember, we got some Tammi Terrell live tracks in the Hip-O set on her, when [[I believe) she was the opening act for one of the other Motown acts, so perhaps the Marvelettes were recorded somewhat "inadvertently" in a similar manner.

I've always said it's much better to wish that Motown would release some of its vaulted tracks than to find out there's none left, so I'm still hoping!
    Last edited by kenneth; 10-13-2019 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    If only! I'm still holding out hope that there may someday be such a discovery in the vaults. It's inconceivable that no one would have ever recorded the Marvelettes live in their later days, but I suppose since they were not a priority at Motown perhaps no one bothered. But remember, we got some Tammi Terrell live tracks in the Hip-O set on her, when [[I believe) she was the opening act for one of the other Motown acts, so perhaps the Marvelettes were recorded somewhat "inadvertently" in a similar manner.

I've always said it's much better to wish that Motown would release some of its vaulted tracks than to find out there's none left, so I'm still hoping!
    I recall some years back Harry W made mention that before the Motown Mondays shows were recorded, the artists performed in Cleveland, and that those shows were also recorded. I recalled that HW had those tapes but at the time he had not listened to them. I was left with the impression that this also included the Marvelettes. but I was never able to get a confirmation of this. I just left a message for Harry on Instagram, if and when I hear back, I will report back.

On a side note back in the day during the Christmas season Motown would put on Christmas shows in Detroit [[and record those shows) and several tracks have been released from both the Temptations and Supremes and if memory serves me correctly, I believe they were recordings from 1964. The track by the Temptations was of the just released track My Girl and the Supreme's show was released on their expanded edition. I've never run across a list of all the performers or if those shows were also recorded. Maybe there's a Marvelette's show buried in there somewhere....

@SatansBlues, please let us know how Harry responds. I think there has to be some live recordings on the Marvelettes that haven't been unearthed yet. I'm going to stay hopeful. Thanks!