[REMOVE ADS]

Finding "Love Child" cover photo location

Hi soul lovers, newbee in this site, I'm a humble record collector [[+2,300 records, all kind styles and formats) also checking and compiling record sleeve photo-locations of famous and not famous records using google maps. I'm trying to solve a tough photo:
    "Love Child" LP by Diana Ross and The Supremes released in USA Nov 13th, 1968
    Trying to find the red brick building with Diana, Cindy and Mary.
    The image was taken by Larry Raphael, a photographer from Hollywood CA
    They may wearing wigs [[not sure)
    The place seems to be a rooftop, balcony or similar.
    It could be the backyrard of a recording studio [[NBC, CBS, etc) or theatre.
    Mary and Cindy wearing leather, not seem in other photos from the same time.
    I guess it could be Backyard of CBS-TV studio 50 [[Ed Sullivan show) but only speculation
    Seen back cover photo, maybe taken in a different part of the building.
    -----------
    An uncomplete day-by-day list:
    1968-08-03: Forest Hills Tennis Stadium, New York, NY - Concert
    1968-08-16: The Forum, Inglewood, CA - Concert
    1968-08-26: Central Canada Exibition, Otawa, Ontario, Canada - Concert
    1968-08-27: Same
    1968-08-28: Same
    1968-08-29: Indiana State Fairgrounds, Indianapolis, IN - Concert
    1968-09-17: "Love Child" sessions only Diana Ross - Detroit
    1968-09-27: Rehearsal at Ed Sullivan's Broadway studio
    1968-09-28: Same
    1968-09-29: Ed Sullivan Show, CBS-TV Studio 50 [[1697 Broadway, at 53rd Street) New York, NY - Live TV show
    1968-09-30: "Love Child" Single released in USA
    1968-10-01: Cocoanut Grove, Los Angeles, CA - Concert
    1968-10-23: Bing Crosby's ABC-TV network special
    1968-11-13: "Love Child" LP released in USA
    -------
    If you have an idea or clue, please tell me
    Thanks in advance
    ----------
    my list of cover locations: https://www.discogs.com/lists/Cover-.../285237?page=2

I love your “cover locations” website! AMAZING ... and a reflection of lots of hard work!

Quote Originally Posted by KSD View Post
    Hi soul lovers, newbee in this site, I'm a humble record collector [[+2,300 records, all kind styles and formats) also checking and compiling record sleeve photo-locations of famous and not famous records using google maps. I'm trying to solve a tough photo:
    I guess it could be Backyard of CBS-TV studio 50 [[Ed Sullivan show) but only speculation
    -----------
    1968-09-29: Ed Sullivan Show, CBS-TV Studio 50 [[1697 Broadway, at 53rd Street) New York, NY - Live TV show
    -------
    Thanks in advance
    ----------
    my list of cover locations: https://www.discogs.com/lists/Cover-.../285237?page=2
    Welcome to the forum! It is good to welcome in the new year with new members.
    I am very impressed with all the hard work you have put it to your project. It is a fascinating subject and i look forward to studying it in more detail when i have the available time.
    Sadly i cannot help you with this particular query, but maybe some eagle eyed sleuth on here can assist you. Good luck, and once again welcome on board.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    impressed with all the hard work
    Thank u, Notice a lot of info taken from the internet. Some of the most difficult findings are done by real cover detectives like @PopSpotsNYC or @RockWalkLondon or @MusicalMaps to say just a few.

BTW I also trying to find where "TCB tv show" [[Supremes/Temptations) was taped. Not a theater but a Studio, Which one?
    If you guys/gals got info about some other photos used in soul albums/singles you can contact @emil784
    Happy new year

interesting topic. this is a "shoot" that we've never really seen any additional shots from. most of their more famous studio photo shoots have had a lot of alternative posing surface over the years. There are a couple pics of them on stage with Diana wearing the LC sweatshirt and M and C in street clothes.

I'm guessing given the rush job that was this album and single, they probably quickly hired a photographer and then did a handful of pics outside of some building, like you stated.

Thank u, Notice a lot of info taken from the internet. Some of the most difficult findings are done by real cover detectives like [FONT="]@PopSpotsNYC [/FONT]or @RockWalkLondon or @MusicalMaps to say just a few.

BTW I also trying to find where "TCB tv show" [[Supremes/Temptations) was taped. Not a theater but a Studio, Which one?
    If you guys/gals got info about some other photos used in soul albums/singles you can contact @emil784
    Happy new year
    I don't know for sure. But I think TCB was taped at the NBC studios in Burbank in August of 1968.

It seems to be an alley of some sort, a rather clean one compared to some I've seen, and I've always thought there appears to be a large plant on one of the terraces or ledges above them...Maybe someone can ask Mary.

There is an alley behind CBS-TV Studio 50 [[1697 Broadway, at 53rd Street) New York, NY.

Well if the alley was clean,we know it wasn't in back of...greasy grady's!!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Well if the alley was clean,we know it wasn't in back of...greasy grady's!!
    I don't remember if it was clean or not. I do remember that they do the staging and organizing of the audience in the building next door and then everyone has to file in line to enter the theater. hehehehehehe!

Wow, I never gave the location of the cover photo much thought, but it is an excellent question. It is my favorite Supremes album. Maybe they will tell us the location when we get the Love Child expanded edition. Or, maybe someone could ask Diana Ross at an upcoming q&a during her concert.

It it would make sense it was shot the afternoon of the Ed Sullivan taping since they were already in costume. Diana and Cindy look pretty, but Mary looks butch.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 01-02-2018 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I don't know for sure. But I think TCB was taped at the NBC studios in Burbank in August of 1968.
    Ok, thank u, I'll try to find studio number and rec day.
    Next cover photo [[apart of LC) would be "A Bit of Liverpool" I'd need the place and the shooting day.
    About LC I found this site: http://eyesofageneration.com/ about TV studios un USA but I can't find clues
    And I keep thinking maybe not an alley because of the slope of the ramp.

-----------
    -------
    Thanks in advance
    ----------
    Indeed interesting info and thanks for it. My guess [[and it is simply a guess) is that the location is a stage set; it appears too pristine to be an actual street location.

Although it doesn't answer your inquiry, here are a few more Motown & non-Motown albums featuring Larry Raphael's photography

https://www.discogs.com/artist/2613185-Larry-Raphael-2

He also photographed Brenda Holloway here

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...tamla-51899842

I wonder if he worked primarily in California....

Maybe the back cover offers a clue.

There appear to be palm trees in the background. Since The Supremes seem to be wearing the same outfits and wigs it's probably the same photo shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    Larry Raphael
    Seems Larry Raphael worked in the Ron Joy's studio at Santa Monica Boulevard, Los Angeles CA. Ron Joy was Nancy Sinatra's Boyfriend and photographer
    https://books.google.es/books?id=gvM...lywood&f=false

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post

There appear to be palm trees in the background. Since The Supremes seem to be wearing the same outfits and wigs it's probably the same photo shoot.
    Those look like real pre-WWII tenement buildings, but not like anything you would see out West or in the South. They could have done the photo shoot in Detroit.

I believe A Bit of Liverpool was shot outside the TMI offices in London while the Supremes were there on an early tour. there are lots of pics from this shoot in those green suits and umbrellas.

and as we discuss the Sup album covers, what outfit are the girls wearing on Touch? the little bit of straps you can see on Cindy's shoulder is too wide to be those white fringe mini dresses they wore in Central Park and later with Lynda doing YWSSL on Flip Wilson. those dresses have straps that are about 1". you can see on Cindy that it's a narrow, sequin strap.

also i wonder what field they shot the dead dandelion for Jimmy Webb lolol

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Indeed interesting info and thanks for it. My guess [[and it is simply a guess) is that the location is a stage set; it appears too pristine to be an actual street location.
    I am sorry, but that is not a stage set. That is real, weather-worn brick they are leaning against.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post

Good luck with that. I'm still trying to find information on where the cover to High Energy was shot. I just can't seem to place it.

The outfits that Cindy & Mary have on in the Love Child cover shot are different than the ones they wore on the show. If they shot that cover behind the Ed Sullivan Theatre, the rising ramp could be because many theatres have that so road boxes with wheels can easily be pushed to the stage opening round back.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    The outfits that Cindy & Mary have on in the Love Child cover shot are different than the ones they wore on the show. If they shot that cover behind the Ed Sullivan Theatre, the rising ramp could be because many theatres have that so road boxes with wheels can easily be pushed to the stage opening round back.
    Cindy has the same outfit but Mary doesn’t

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    the rising ramp could be because many theatres have that so road boxes with wheels can easily be pushed to the stage opening round back.
    Good reasoning, makes sense, thnk u
    I have found something similar at the CBS TV network https://goo.gl/maps/ZQskmsuMaGm

You're nuts! LOL!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post

Oh, also if you look again at the front cover, those are house plants on a window sill, not palm trees. When they took the shot for the back cover, they just went up to the fire escape landing.

I believe A Bit of Liverpool was shot outside the TMI offices in London
    Could anybody provide adress of the Tamla-Motown offices in London?

Could anybody provide adress of the Tamla-Motown offices in London?
    Not sure of the address. But I don't believe the Liverpool cover was shot at the EMI offices. There's a series of photos of the girls posed at the offices with umbrellas. In these, they are wearing different wigs than those on the Liverpool cover.

I have also seen other photos from the Liverpool cover photo shoot and the girls seem to be posing on the front steps of a residence.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Cindy has the same outfit but Mary doesn’t
    Cindy's vest may be the same but her shirt is black on the album and white on television. Her jeans are tight with rolled up bottoms on the album and looser, almost bell bottoms, on television.

EMI House 20 Manchester Square London. The small park nearby is where the girls were photographed.

Check out those windows in the bacground with the white around them
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/22/8d...5537a658ae.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Not sure of the address. But I don't believe the Liverpool cover was shot at the EMI offices. There's a series of photos of the girls posed at the offices with umbrellas. In these, they are wearing different wigs than those on the Liverpool cover.

I have also seen other photos from the Liverpool cover photo shoot and the girls seem to be posing on the front steps of a residence.
    I would concur with the observation of Reese. Not only are the wigs different but there are no gloves or bowler hats appearing in the UK photos. Close inspection of the images shows the umbrella handles are also different. Furthermore, the timeline of the release of the Liverpool album and the UK visit would indicate these are different photoshoots. I for one would love to know the location and date of the Liverpool album cover photoshoot. Could it be a nearby building on W. Grand Boulevard?

Quote Originally Posted by blue_whippet View Post
    the Liverpool album
    Liverpool LP released Oct 16, 1964, if the photo was taken in London, it should be aprox, 2 months before?
    They visited UK for promotional apearances before Oct64, right? If not London then Detroit as the new area to search?
    On the other hand this photo https://songbook1.files.wordpress.co...ber-1964-6.jpg seems to be from the same photoshoot

Quote Originally Posted by blue_whippet View Post
    I would concur with the observation of Reese. Not only are the wigs different but there are no gloves or bowler hats appearing in the UK photos. Close inspection of the images shows the umbrella handles are also different. Furthermore, the timeline of the release of the Liverpool album and the UK visit would indicate these are different photoshoots. I for one would love to know the location and date of the Liverpool album cover photoshoot. Could it be a nearby building on W. Grand Boulevard?
    I believe it was done in Detroit and base on the architecture of the residence, it very much looks like a Detroit home.

I asked Diana via twitter about the cover photo, I only got a "Like" Not sure if insist...

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I believe it was done in Detroit and base on the architecture of the residence, it very much looks like a Detroit home.
    It sure does. I totally agree.

I asked Diana via twitter about the cover photo, I only got a "Like" Not sure if insist...
    She doesn't know how to use twitter despite her claims. LOL!!!!

I am pretty sure she would not recall where the cover was shot. I recall a conversation with her regarding the cover of the Diana Ross 1970 album. She said the cover photo with her holding the apple was her favourite, but she had genuinely forgotten it was her debut solo album. She thought it was something like her 3rd solo effort.Us fans would never get something like that mixed up but she did. We are more knowledgeable about her career than she is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I am pretty sure she would not recall where the cover was shot. I recall a conversation with her regarding the cover of the Diana Ross 1970 album. She said the cover photo with her holding the apple was her favourite, but she had genuinely forgotten it was her debut solo album. She thought it was something like her 3rd solo effort.Us fans would never get something like that mixed up but she did. We are more knowledgeable about her career than she is.
    I have a poster with that same photo. Love it. We also have to remember that mega-stars such as Ross lived in whirlwinds of activity; I'm sure Diana has sat for hundreds [[thousands?) of photo shoots so it would be unlikely she would remember each one. Plus Diana seems to be a current- and forward-looking lady - I don't imagine she spends much time ruminating on the past.

exactly. it would be like asking me - Do you recall the meeting you attended on 5/14/94? what conference room were you in, what was the agenda, what food was served, what was the dial-in telephone line?

it's her career, not her hobby. she most certainly understands it's important and works hard at it. but she's not obsessed with it, like us fans

Hi again! Recently checking again the Love Child cover I'm thinking that the photo could have been taken in Los Angeles during the Cocoanut Grove concerts [[October 1968). According with the GFYD web Diana Ross wear the yellow sweater there, also the Photographer Larry Raphael was from Los Angeles.
    I've read maybe in LA in this thread https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...VE-CHILD-Album
    Is it known some rehearsal place/theater used by the Supremes at that time?
    Is it known which hotel was used by the group during that time? own Ambassador Hotel or other??
    I've seen some similar buildings in S Mariposa Ave via Google Maps:
    Back of The Embassy: https://goo.gl/maps/w2f1Ts2t5x88sP8o8
    or https://goo.gl/maps/j26DRCW7P1F851L97
    Is it possible the picture could have been taken in some buiding like those near the Ambassador Hotel?

Liverpool LP released Oct 16, 1964, if the photo was taken in London, it should be aprox, 2 months before?
    They visited UK for promotional apearances before Oct64, right? If not London then Detroit as the new area to search?
    On the other hand this photo https://songbook1.files.wordpress.co...ber-1964-6.jpg seems to be from the same photoshoot
    They did the photo for the cover of that album in Detroit and had another photo shoot in London at the EMI offices.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    They did the photo for the cover of that album in Detroit and had another photo shoot in London at the EMI offices.
    Thank you, yes the london shoot is simitar. Hope someone could help with both pics "Love Child" [[front and back) and "A bit of Liverpool"