[REMOVE ADS]

CD Reissue Wish List: 2018 Version

Love Unlimited 'From A Girl's Point of View' [[with repro of the gatefold sleeve!)

The Dells 'Musical Menu', 'Love Is Blue'. 'Like It Is', 'The Dells', 'The Mighty, Mighty', and 'We Got To Get' - all Cadet releases.

- Mary Wilson Solo Album
    - Anything Expanded Edition by the Marvelettes, Martha and the Vandellas, or Four Tops.
    - Supremes Sing Holland Dozier Holland Expanded Edition
    - Diana Ross Baby Its Me [[physical CD)

Diana Ross & The Supremes & The Temptations - On Broadway

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Diana Ross & The Supremes & The Temptations - On Broadway
    Full show with a DVD!

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    - Mary Wilson Solo Album
    - Anything Expanded Edition by the Marvelettes, Martha and the Vandellas, or Four Tops.
    - Supremes Sing Holland Dozier Holland Expanded Edition
    - Diana Ross Baby Its Me [[physical CD)
    Hopefully we will get HDH -

Hodges, James and Smith!!!!!!

The Staple Singers' Riverside and Epic albums.

My wish list-all of these should be reissued as Expanded/Deluxe Editions.
    Martha & the Vandellas-Dance Party
    The Temptations-With A Lot 'O Soul
    Four Tops-Reach Out!
    Aretha Franklin-I've Never Loved A Man
    Lady Soul
    Stevie Wonder-Music Of My Mind
    Talking Book
    Innervisions
    Fulfillingness' First Finale
    Songs In The Key Of Life

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    My wish list-all of these should be reissued as Expanded/Deluxe Editions.
    Martha & the Vandellas-Dance Party
    The Temptations-With A Lot 'O Soul
    Four Tops-Reach Out!
    Aretha Franklin-I've Never Loved A Man
    Lady Soul
    Stevie Wonder-Music Of My Mind
    Talking Book
    Innervisions
    Fulfillingness' First Finale
    Songs In The Key Of Life

Surely the lack of Stevie Wonder expandeds is a puzzle. Since he was quite prolific, perhaps there's not much in the vaults? If nothing else contemporary live material would be a good addition.

- Aretha's four remaining Atlantic albums on CD
    - Blinky's unreleased Motown recordings
    - Anything Supremes/Ross related that contains previously unissued material and/or the physical release of albums that are currently digital only [[ie. We Remember Sam Cooke, Funny Girl, etc)
    - Kim Weston's post-Motown albums
    - Sister Sledge's 80's albums [[the Wounded Bird reissues are now out of print)

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    - Aretha's four remaining Atlantic albums on CD
    HEARTILY seconded.

Hot Butterfly...The Sweet Inspirations
    and.....Hodges, James and Smith

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Surely the lack of Stevie Wonder expandeds is a puzzle. Since he was quite prolific, perhaps there's not much in the vaults? If nothing else contemporary live material would be a good addition.
    I think it has more to do with Stevie Wonder's penchant for perfection that he hasn't allowed any of his post 1972 material from the vaults to be released [[and I agree that there should be some great live recordings from that era stashed away somewhere).

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    HEARTILY seconded.
    And third-ed-ed! Supposedly Aretha's 'record label' owned the masters of these 4 titles and cd release was imminent. About 10 years ago. I suppose the opera aria LP will come out first ...

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    I think it has more to do with Stevie Wonder's penchant for perfection that he hasn't allowed any of his post 1972 material from the vaults to be released [[and I agree that there should be some great live recordings from that era stashed away somewhere).
    ... and early versions / working tapes would be fascinating to hear. But I fear your supposition is correct!

Oh...and MOTOWN AT THE HOLLYWOOD PALACE, please.

Undisputed Truth - Higher than high & Cosmic Truth please...

I recently made the mistake of purchasing a Japanese bootleg of what claimed to be Irma Thomas' "Wish Someone Would Care" album in mono. It turns out the "good folks" at the Oldays label just folded down the original stereo mixes. They did the same for some of the single sides that are only available on CD in stereo [[e.g. the "Heatwave" inspired "Moments to Remember").

I wish Ace [[or Real Gone in the US) would do another multi label set on Irma Thomas, but this time concentrating on her 1960s single mixes, with her Imperial LP only sides in mono as bonus tracks.

Ace have already released two of Irma's early Ron sides back in 2014. I particularly enjoyed hearing "I May Be Wrong" in much improved fidelity. Previous CDs used poor quality vinyl sources. I'd love to hear "A Good Man", the flip, in similar quality. Some of Irma's single mixes are quite different to their stereo LP [[re)mixes. "Take a Look", for instance, is much dryer and immediate than the rather wet stereo mix. I don't think it has even been reissued on a legitimate CD. The James Brown re-write "It's a Man's-Woman's World" is an alternate version on the Ace/Kent Cd from the mid 1990s. The true single version has not been released on CD in either the UK or US.

Curiously, Ace added Irma's recording of the Bacharach-David obscurity "Live Again" to one of their VA compilations a while back. I don't believe the track was ever released until the early 1990s, in a stereo mix. Ace's reissue of the track, however, is in mono. Obiviously, Ace is a legit label, unlike Oldays, but I did wonder if they found a dedicated mono mix or folded down the stereo. I doubt they'd do the latter, at least not on purpose. Someone who has compared the mixes might be able to enlighten me on this point.

If Ace did indeed find a dedicated mono mix for "Live Again", I wonder if they found similar ones for some of Irma's other outtakes of that period. I imagine "Long After Tonight Is All Over" probably received similar treatment, mixed for a potential 45 release.

Similar to the "Live Again" situation, Jackie DeShannon's demo for "Break-A-Way" made its CD debut in stereo in the mid 1990s. I've never really liked the sound of that mastering [[rather on the bright side), though I love the performance. If Ace mastered a mono mix of Jackie's demo for "Break-A-Way" and put it out on CD - perhaps on another volume dedicated to her songwriting - I'd eagerly purchase it. I've been enjoying the fine remastering found on Ace's CDs covering Jackie's Liberty/Imperial period, and to have "Break-A-Way" in similar quality would be the icing on the cake.
    Last edited by smallworld; 01-20-2018 at 07:41 AM.

I'd also like a similar set on Betty Everett, bringing together her Vee Jay sides [[both single and LP only) with her single sides for ABC and Uni in their original mono mixes. Ace has recently released a new volume in their "Northern Soul's Classiest Rarities" that has Betty's Fantasy A-Side "I Got to Tell Somebody" in mono. I'm sure I'll pick up the set - it also has an Alternate take of Maxine Brown's "One In a Million", where the horns sound much more upfront and exciting - but I'd like to have Betty's mono mixes gathered in one place.

I've only recently got into Betty's duet partner, Jerry Butler. He is a superlative singer and he's long overdue a set dedicated to his Vee Jay and Mercury single mixes, with top notch sound. The Collectables label CDs of his are very variable in source quality. I wouldn't even deign to purchase the execrable Charly label's Singles set, knowing how little they care about quality sound. I could see the Vee Jay and Mercury singles as a multi volume set, similar to the aforementioned Jackie De Shannon Singles sets. Further, if Ace were to put out twofers of Butler's Vee Jay and Mercury albums in mono, similar to the ones they did on Mary Wells, I'd buy the lot.

Speaking of Mary Wells, I'd love if they put out Mary's "My Girl" album in mono, perhaps as a twofer with her "Vintage Stock" compilation.
    Last edited by smallworld; 01-20-2018 at 07:44 AM.