[REMOVE ADS]

Who did Smokey Robinson write Being With You for?

Per an interview with the Huffington Post Smokey said he was so impressed with her recording of More Love that he wrote it and did a demo for it for Kim Carnes but George Tobin insisted he release it himself.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Per an interview with the Huffington Post Smokey said he was so impressed with her recording of More Love that he wrote it and did a demo for it for Kim Carnes but George Tobin insisted he release it himself.
    Yes, in fact all four of the songs that he wrote on the album were intended for Kim Carnes.George knew it was a hit on Smokey and so he argued his point.It wasn't the first time,Berry Gordy had to convince him "Shop Around" was a hit on him as opposed to Barret Strong.What's supremely coincidental is Kim's "Bette Davis Eyes" kept it from the #1 spot.Unintended way to get even huh?

Great info. Lol ! Kim had revenge!

He may have wrote it for Kim Carnes, but he wrote it about Ivory Stone his girlfriend/background singer at the time.

Wow! I didn't realize "Being With You" performed so well on the pop charts! It doesn't get as much recurrent airplay today as "Just To See Her" or "Cruisin." In fact, I never hear it, I am only familiar with it because it was one of my mother's favorites.

Wow, here in the UK, "Being With You" is the only Smokey solo song I've ever heard on the radio. It was a UK #1 if I remember correctly. It is certainly deserved of hit status, but I love "Cruisin" even more and it didn't even chart here!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Wow, here in the UK, "Being With You" is the only Smokey solo song I've ever heard on the radio. It was a UK #1 if I remember correctly. It is certainly deserved of hit status, but I love "Cruisin" even more and it didn't even chart here!!!!!
    Yes, Being With You was at #1 for two weeks in the U.K. in June 1981 and knocked off the top spot by Michael Jackson with One Day In Your Life which also stayed at #1 for two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Yes, Being With You was at #1 for two weeks in the U.K. in June 1981 and knocked off the top spot by Michael Jackson with One Day In Your Life which also stayed at #1 for two weeks.
    Many thanks masterblaster, it helps when you know actual facts instead of guessing [[aka me)

Interesting that "Being With You" was originally going to be given to Kim. Sounds like something she would've recorded.

I first heard the full story behind Smokey's "Being With You" on the Miracles' Definitive Performances DVD [[back in 2006). It's a good thing that Producer George Tobin was able to convince Smokey to do the song. Since "Being With You" became a major hit, it was a shot in the arm for both Smokey and Motown [[as the label needed All the hits it could get at that time).

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    I first heard the full story behind Smokey's "Being With You" on the Miracles' Definitive Performances DVD [[back in 2006). It's a good thing that Producer George Tobin was able to convince Smokey to do the song. Since "Being With You" became a major hit, it was a shot in the arm for both Smokey and Motown [[as the label needed All the hits it could get at that time).
    It was my favorite song in the Spring of 1981. I use to blast it out of my college dorm room windows. LOL!

This is the best of Motown! Sit back, listen and remember...........