[REMOVE ADS]

Did Chris Clark have talent?

I have read both opinions about her. Personally I like her voice and style of soul. Others?
    Last edited by luke; 12-23-2017 at 07:48 PM.

Chris Clark had a unique voice,no one sounded like her.However, I clearly see why success eluded her .I don't think the producers at the company took her serious enough to work hard and diligently with her. I believe they considered her a wannabe soul singer with Berry Gordy's unwavering support. If you look at her recorded output you see a lack of interest. Even the best like Smokey Robinson and HDH failed to deliver wholeheartedly. Smokey gave her a cover song at his opportunity,HDH did one new song and more covers,Mickey Stevenson did little,Norman Whitfield did nothing. Look closely and you'll see her best tunes are from her sponsor [[B.G.).I think Mickey Gentile was even forced to record her. Deke Richards was unsuccessful as well. It seems no one fought hard enough to find out who she really was vocally. She was placated to avoid confrontation I think. Eventually she would do great things behind the scenes,but not much was expected of her. I think this makes for a great discussion because she presented a challenge to Motown.

Very interesting Quinn- makes sense. I got the sense that if she let loose she could really sing.

Not Motown's finest but she at least got 2 albums whereas Kim Weston not The Velvelettes did. I am a fan of some of her work. Chris didn't have the range that Brenda Holloway had, for example, and had a slightly quirky style which wouldn't be to everyone's taste. She is still a very interesting [[and at times surprising) Motown artist. Her connection with Berry seems to have been a driver and I wondered whether Berry put paid to Frank Wilson's version of "Do I Love You" because he thought it might have hit potential for Chris?

Chris Clark is indeed a very interesting part of the Motown story. What Quinn says about Berry Gordy especially. I think Chris had a great voice and some great songs. Might have been just another example of an artist getting lost in the Motown shuffle.

Although it does kinda seem that Motown didn’t really know what to do with her... as seen with her second album full of covers and on it’s own ‘Weed’ label!

“an utterly misguided attempt to recast blue-eyed soul sister Chris Clark as a freak-flag-flying, flower-power femme”: https://www.allmusic.com/album/cc-ri...n-mw0000837327

Yes. The Soul Sounds lp shows that.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Not Motown's finest but she at least got 2 albums whereas Kim Weston not The Velvelettes did. I am a fan of some of her work. Chris didn't have the range that Brenda Holloway had, for example, and had a slightly quirky style which wouldn't be to everyone's taste. She is still a very interesting [[and at times surprising) Motown artist. Her connection with Berry seems to have been a driver and I wondered whether Berry put paid to Frank Wilson's version of "Do I Love You" because he thought it might have hit potential for Chris?
    I agree that while Kim Weston and The Velvelettes were more talented they didn't get the breaks she did,but they weren't dating The Chairman either.Kim Weston was the wife of Mickey Stevenson and The Velvelettes also came in through him.Listening to the other two parties recorded output,what do you hear?...sincere interest. The material they recorded was much stronger and energetic,you can tell the staff was supportive. As far as Brenda Holloway is concerned,not enough trips to Hitsville hurt her. Not to discredit Hal Davis and Marc Gordon,but maybe she should have stayed in Detroit for a few months at a time.She also wouldn't allow B.G. to have a "good time" with her without commitment. "Do I Love You" made it to the scheduling stage on Frank Wilson. It was then decided that Frank should write and produce,he'd be better there. Given the fact that they felt it could be a hit on him and a newcomer needed a strong record to get her career going,hey why not?

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Chris Clark is indeed a very interesting part of the Motown story. What Quinn says about Berry Gordy especially. I think Chris had a great voice and some great songs. Might have been just another example of an artist getting lost in the Motown shuffle.

Although it does kinda seem that Motown didn’t really know what to do with her... as seen with her second album full of covers and on it’s own ‘Weed’ label!

“an utterly misguided attempt to recast blue-eyed soul sister Chris Clark as a freak-flag-flying, flower-power femme”: https://www.allmusic.com/album/cc-ri...n-mw0000837327
    I always felt that Berry Gordy should have tried to do something with "Day By Day or Never" maybe couple it with "I Want To Go Back There Again". Marvin Gayes " I Love You" is a more suitable backside though.Deke failed with "Rides Again" because he got too intelligent with it's musical concept. Had he just been himself it probably still wouldn't have been a chart contender, but much stronger overall. Nervous creativity destroyed many records especially follow up albums to block busters and massive sellers.

I would have to agree that there did not appear to be a sincere effort from the Corporation to break CC out as an artist. The original songs that she recorded were not star vehicles with the exception of "Loves Gone Bad". The covers did not make anyone forget about the originals. As far as singing ability, you could go up and down Broad Street in Philly at the time and find hundreds of better singers. She did have a star look though, her first LP cover was dynamic! However, I think that if Motown did position her as "The Great White Hope", or a Blue Eyed Soul Singer, there was the potential for serious success. I do get the sense that she took herself seriously, and believed in herself and her abilities. Unfortunately in the ultra competitive entertainment business there are only a limited few who make it to the top in spite of unlimited resources behind them. Absent that level of support, it is very difficult to be successful.

My take on Chris Clark is that she had talent [[Gordy would not have singed her up to Motown if she didn't). However, I agree with other posters who feel that she needed a series of standout recordings [[with say HDH, Smokey, Ashford & Simpson or Whitfield) in order to put her in Motown's front ranks.

She got three albums!! How many did the velvelettes get! Carolyn Crawford.? They made her too Motown. Give her an Aretha song or Son of a preacher man or Brand new me! I think they did really try with her but she wasn’t a Diana Ross type

Just to give some balance, I love Soul Sounds LP and her Motown collectionCD , plus all the bonus tracks from CC.
    IMHO, " Born to love you baby" and " If you should walk away" are as good as anything Motown issued.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    I always felt that Berry Gordy should have tried to do something with "Day By Day or Never" maybe couple it with "I Want To Go Back There Again". Marvin Gayes " I Love You" is a more suitable backside though.Deke failed with "Rides Again" because he got too intelligent with it's musical concept. Had he just been himself it probably still wouldn't have been a chart contender, but much stronger overall. Nervous creativity destroyed many records especially follow up albums to block busters and massive sellers.
    Perfect explanation -“nervous creativity”. Never thought of it that way.

You could substitute the names Florence Ballard and Mary Wilson for much of what you have written.

There are elements of luck that created careers but the Motown lead singers ended up with the success

Regarding Quinn’s post:

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    You could substitute the names Florence Ballard and Mary Wilson for much of what you have written.

There are elements of luck that created careers but the Motown lead singers ended up with the success

It's been said that Chris was being groomed to be Hitsville's answer to Dusty Springfield. While there were many similarities: vocal timbre, hair and makeup, and so forth, Chris had a more subtle voice and nowhere near the power, but was very good just the same. One critic at the time said she sounded kind of like a cross between Dusty Springfield and Mary Wilson, and I'd say that's a fairly good description. She was a song stylist, not a major vocalist, but she had not yet found that one distinctive style which worked with just one or two compatible producers, so all the excellent Soul Sounds tracks, although wonderful, lacked a cohesiveness. CC Rides Again was just a mess. When the label's slogan read, "Your Favorite Artists are on Weed," I suspect they really meant it! Kind of a shame. Still she found her niche at Motown and did very well in that context. She's also a fantastic photographer.

I believe Chris Clark has said that Motown didn't know what to do with her. She is a singer, songwriter, screenwriter and photographer. Talented? Yes very much so. And the lady still has it going on. After seeing her performance at the Ponderosa Stomp in 2013, I truly believe she can sing all styles - pop, soul and jazz. Something that many of her contemporaries could not do. That is my opinion on the matter of Chris Clark.

From 2015

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post

From 2015
    that performance was boring and blah. Couldn’t listen to the whole thing.

Who did Gordy sign [[as a solo) that didn't have talent? Obviously the woman could sing, whether her voice is to everyone's liking or not, which like ALL voices, some folks love it, some folks don't. As an artist she doesn't do anything for me. The only song I can legitimately say I like of hers is her cover of "You've Made Me So Very Happy", and honestly I dig the arrangement and the background vocals. They could've given the lead to any of my favorite Motown ladies who were still around at the time [[Diana, Martha, Gladys, Mary Wilson, Blinky, Wanda) and I would've loved it so much more.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    ...her cover of "You've Made Me So Very Happy", and honestly I dig the arrangement and the background vocals. They could've given the lead to any of my favorite Motown ladies who were still around at the time [[Diana, Martha, Gladys, Mary Wilson, Blinky, Wanda) and I would've loved it so much more.
    My own preference on that number will always be Brenda's original. Chris's version is just way over the top. Still, she does an adequate enough job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    My own preference on that number will always be Brenda's original. Chris's version is just way over the top. Still, she does an adequate enough job of it.
    Brenda's is my favorite, followed closely by Edwin and Blinky. I like over the top arrangements, so Chris' version is right up my alley. I'm just not moved by her vocals. Replace Chris with either of the ladies I mentioned and the version might top Brenda's as my favorite.