[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 39 of 39
  1. #1

    John Manship Acetate Tapes

    Apologies if this has been discussed here before, but about 25 years ago I acquired some tapes of motown acetates from John Manship; unfortunately the tapes are long gone, but I do recall these including "Purple Snowflakes" by Marvin Gaye, (a few takes), the Four Tops "Break-in' Through" Workshop Jazz album and many others.... So my question is whether anyone else happened upon these tapes at the time (4+ hours in total), and what (if any of these tracks) haven't been included in various motown releases. (Of course the Four Tops tracks came out on lost & found).

    Furthermore, there was also a private pressing of a whole album of Temptations outtakes, "Angel Doll"? Again this appeared on the Emperors boxset, but any info on this greatly appreciated. (As I sold this when I moved away from vinyl)....

  2. #2
    I don't remember ever seeing it discussed here. I bought all those tapes at the time, and still have them in a playable condition.

    I'll have time to check in the new year if anything on them hasn't been officially released yet. From memory, one of the tracks was the Coca Cola commercial "Joe's Place" by Gladys Knight & the Pips which was scheduled for inclusion in the aborted "Lost and Found" CD, so that hasn't surfaced yet.

  3. #3
    BTW. I was wrong with my recollection of The Temptations private pressing; it was in fact various artists inc. "Angel Doll" by "The Temptations" entitled "Motown / Hitsville Masters Vol1" by Triangle Connoisseur Sounds", image below:

  4. #4
    Did volume 2 ever materialise?

  5. #5
    I've got six of the John Manship tapes. The contents weren't always quite what were on the tapes, so I'd need to listen to them again. I'm not very good at spotting alternative versions.

    I'll list the contents when I can and eventually make notes when I get the time to play them again.
    Last edited by 144man; 01-05-2018 at 02:43 PM.

  6. #6
    ONE [probably not all from acetates]

    Unissued Goodies & Some

    1. Supremes - Dr Goldfoot
    2. " - " (studio version)
    3. " - Baby Love (diff version)
    4. Oma Heard - Lifetime Man
    5. Marvelettes - Hunter get Cap (N/V)
    6. " - Holding On
    7. Temptations- Angel Doll
    8. Kim Weston - After the Rain
    9. " - Any Girl in Love
    10. Supremes - Beach Ball
    11. Andantes - Like A Nightmare
    12. " - If You Were Mine
    13. Supremes - Things Are Changing
    14. Temptations - I Gotta Know
    15. Tammi Terrell - There Are things
    16. Supremes - L'amore Verra
    17. " - Sam Filo Spezzerria
    18. Marvelettes - Twisting the Night Away
    19. " - "
    20. " - Hey Baby
    21. " - Slow Twist
    22. " - Lover Please
    23. " - Breath Taking Guy
    24. Christine Schumacher - Mother U Smother U
    25. Velvelettes - Searchin for My Man
    26. Challengers III - Everyday
    27. Miracles - More of Your Love
    28. Brenda Holloway - Favor For A Girl
    29. Supremes - Johnny & Joe

  7. #7
    TWO

    The Unissued Motown Tapes - UM 1

    1. Supremes - Love Is Like An Itching...
    2. Velvelettes - Why Must You Go
    3. " - Love Is Good
    4. Supremes - Oowee Baby
    5. Marvelettes - Knock On My Door
    6. Marvin Gaye - A Chance With You
    7. Gladys Knight - Too Late For You And Me
    8. Marvin Gaye - So Long
    9. Supremes - Surfer Boy
    10. Velvelettes - Save Me (My Ship of Love...)
    11. Gladys Knight - Just Like You Never Loved Me
    12. Lollipops - Look What You Done Boy
    13. Gladys Knight - When Somebody Loves You
    14. Marvelettes - I Can't Help It
    15. Velvelettes - My Foolish Heart
    16. Marvin Gaye - Baby Baby Come Home
    17. Gladys Knight - Just Walk In My Shoes
    18. Marvelettes - One Kiss Led to Another
    19. Mary & Smokey - I Want You 'Round
    20. Kim Weston - Drop In the Bucket
    21. Supremes - Mr Blues
    22. Miracles - In Case You Need Love
    23. " - You Can't Let the Boy...
    24. Mary Wells - Drop In the Bucket

  8. #8
    THREE

    The Unissued Motown Tapes - UM 2

    1. Supremes - You Keep me Hanging On
    2. Marvelettes - Why Must You Go
    3. Marvin Gaye - Lonely Lover
    4. Velvelettes - Honey Love
    5. Supremes - It's All Your Fault
    6. Velvelettes - Mama Please
    7. Marvin Gaye - Party Time
    8. Brenda Holloway - I Don't Want Nobody's...
    9. Marvin Gaye - You're A Son of A Gun
    10. 4 Tops - Sweeter As the Days Go By
    11. Brenda Holloway - You Need Me
    12. Kim Weston - Build Up My Baby
    13. Originals - Baby Have Mercy On Me
    14. Marvin Gaye - You're Wonderful
    15. 4 Tops - What You Gonna Do With Me Baby
    16. Supremes - Manhattan
    17. Marvin Gaye - One More Heartache
    18. Velvelettes - Twilight Time
    19. Velvelettes - Come On Home
    20. Marvelettes - You Just Can't Run Down
    21. Miracles - The Best Is Yet to Come
    22. Various - Ode to the Supremes

  9. #9
    [QUOTE=144man;433600]ONE [probably not all from acetates]


    25. Velvelettes - Searchin for My Man


    This has nothing to do with Cal Bertha Norma Milly or Betty. I think the 45 states Dot & the Velvelettes

  10. #10
    [QUOTE=theboyfromxtown;434244]
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    ONE [probably not all from acetates]


    25. Velvelettes - Searchin for My Man


    This has nothing to do with Cal Bertha Norma Milly or Betty. I think the 45 states Dot & the Velvelettes
    Yes, I know. I was going to deal with this in due course, but seeing as you've brought it up, I shall address the matter now.

    "Searching For My Man" is the other side of a release on the Teek label in 1963 called "For As Long As You Want Me". Both sides were written by Ty Hunter and F.Bosley. "For As Long As You Want Me (A4827)" was credited to Dotty McCullum, whereas "Searching For My Man (A4828)" to Dot and the Velveletts [note the omission of the final "e" in the spelling].

    Your assertion that this has nothing to do with Cal, Bertha, Norma, Milly or Betty is correct, as some years ago Cal told Malcolm Baumgart that she had never even heard of Dotty McCullum.

    http://www.45cat.com/record/a4827a4828
    Last edited by 144man; 01-10-2018 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Link added

  11. #11
    FOUR

    The Unissued Motown Tapes - UM 3

    1. David Ruffin - Hills of West Virginia
    2. Paul Williams - Feel Like Givin' Up
    3. Thelma Houston - I Want to Go Back There Again
    4. " - Oh ! Dear Mama
    5. Smokey Robinson - Wings and Halo
    6. " - Fly By Night
    7. " - A Tattoo
    8. Liz Lands - May What He Lived For Live
    9. Miracles - Do Da Do Da Day
    10. Gladys Knight - Joe's Place (2)
    11. Eddie Holland - Pretty Little Angel Face
    12. Chad Harris Trio - The Wind & Rain In Your Hair
    13. " - Yes Lawd
    14. " - Our Day Will Come
    15. 4 Tops - Stranger On the Shore
    16. " - I Could Have Danced All Night
    17. " - The Night We Called It A Day
    18. " - San Fancisco
    19. " - Fascinating Rhythm
    20. Gladys Knight - Joe's Place (1)
    21. " - Joe's Place (3)

  12. #12
    FIVE

    The Unissued Motown Tapes - UM 4

    1. Versatones - It's Company Time x 2
    2. Magnetics - Father Time
    3. Supremes - Come On Boy x 2
    4. Marvin Gaye - You're Wonderful
    5. Stevie Wonder - Workout Stevie Workout
    6. Contours - I Can't Stop Dancing x2
    7. 4 Tops - Make Someone Happy
    8. Marvin Gaye - Pretty Little Baby x 2
    9. " - Purple Snowflakes
    10. Marvelettes - You Better Cool it
    11. 4 Tops - This Can't Be Love
    12. " - Young and Foolish
    13. Frank Morelli - Defunk Brothers
    14. Supremes - You Didn't Care
    15. Rev. Chas Glover - You've Gotta Come Back...
    16. Edward Earling - Baby Don't Leave
    17. " - My Love For You
    18. " - This Time I'm Gonnna Leave You
    19. Lefty Edwards - Just Friends
    20. " - Feeling
    21. " - Down Under
    22. Marvelettes - Grass Seems Greener on the...
    23. Contours - Minnie the Ugly Duckling
    24. Miracles - You've Got to Pay Bills
    25. " - Don't Think It's Me
    26. Gladys Knight - Happy Memories x 2

  13. #13
    Is David Ruffin's "Hills Of West Virginia" actually "The Rovin' Kind"...? I think David says something like "the hills of West Virginia, and far far beyond" in "Rovin"... I knew I recognised the lyrics from somewhere, lol.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Is David Ruffin's "Hills Of West Virginia" actually "The Rovin' Kind"...? I think David says something like "the hills of West Virginia, and far far beyond" in "Rovin"... I knew I recognised the lyrics from somewhere, lol.
    The titles written on the labels on the acetates weren't always accurate. It's a long time since I've listened to the tapes, so hopefully I'll be able to recognise the track when I eventually play it again.

  15. #15
    SIX

    ...taped directly from the original acetates...

    1. Tommy Good - Gotta Get Away
    2. Tammi Terrell - Oh What A Good Man He Is
    3. Patrice Holloway - For the Love of Mike
    4. Ivy Jo - Where Are You
    5. Sandra Edwards - True Fine Boy (Inst.)
    6. Martha & Vandellas - Take It Off
    7. Chris Clark - Sweeter As the Days Go By
    8. Jimmy Ruffin - Stop Leading Me On
    9. Vandellas - Nobody Cares
    10. "- Don't Take Advantage of Me
    11. Jimmy Ruffin - Everybody Needs Love (diff take)
    12. Supremes - Take Me Where You Go
    13. Brenda Holloway - Keep Me
    14. " - Tell Me Your Story
    15. Marvin Gaye - Talk About A Good Feeling
    16. ? - Together We Can Make It
    17. Bob Kayli - Love In A Movie
    18. Marvelettes - I've Been Loving You (inst.)
    19. Vandellas - Take Me In Your Arms Rock Me (inst.)
    20. Shorty Long - Lonely Boy (inst.)
    21. Freeman Brothers - My Baby (slow version)
    22. Stevie Wonder - Pretty Little Angel
    23. Hit Pack - Never Say No to Your Baby (inst.)
    24. Marvin Gaye - I'll Be Doggone (inst.)
    25. Four Tops - Just A Little Love
    26. Supremes - I'm So Glad
    27. " - "(inst.)
    28. Clarence Paul - You Stay On My Mind
    29. Eddie Holland - I Like Everything About You
    30. Dean Taylor - Give Me Something
    31. Tommy Good - No One to Love
    32. Supremes - Take Me Where You Go
    33. ? - Take Me
    34. Dalton Boys - Take My Hand
    35. Supremes - Someday We'll Be Together (alt.)
    36. " - People
    37. Four Tops - Sweeter As the Days Go By

  16. #16
    Many thanks for suppying these listings; appreciated.

    I knew at the time they included some amzazing stuff which really wasn’t available!

  17. #17
    You're welcome, Simon.

    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    ONE [probably not all from acetates]

    Unissued Goodies & Some

    1. Supremes - Dr Goldfoot
    2. " - " (studio version)
    3. " - Baby Love (diff version)
    4. Oma Heard - Lifetime Man
    5. Marvelettes - Hunter get Cap (N/V)
    6. " - Holding On
    7. Temptations- Angel Doll
    8. Kim Weston - After the Rain
    9. " - Any Girl in Love
    10. Supremes - Beach Ball
    11. Andantes - Like A Nightmare
    12. " - If You Were Mine
    13. Supremes - Things Are Changing
    14. Temptations - I Gotta Know
    15. Tammi Terrell - There Are things
    16. Supremes - L'amore Verra
    17. " - Sam Filo Spezzerria
    18. Marvelettes - Twisting the Night Away
    19. " - "
    20. " - Hey Baby
    21. " - Slow Twist
    22. " - Lover Please
    23. " - Breath Taking Guy
    24. Christine Schumacher - Mother U Smother U
    25. Velvelettes - Searchin for My Man
    26. Challengers III - Everyday
    27. Miracles - More of Your Love
    28. Brenda Holloway - Favor For A Girl
    29. Supremes - Johnny & Joe
    Notes.

    1. Please see the "Don't Forget the Motorcity" site for info on the official release of this tape's contents.

    2. Supremes' foreign language recordings appear in DFTMC under their English titles, i.e. You Can't Hurry Love, You Keep Me Hanging On, and Come See About Me.

    3.The title listed as the Marvelettes' "Holding On" is "I'll Keep Holding On".
    The Miracles' "More of Your Love" is "More More More of Your Love".
    The Temptations' "I Gotta Know" is a brief extract from "I Gotta Know Now".
    The Marvelettes' "The Hunter..." is an extract of the version with Wanda's extended vocals.
    The Supremes' "Baby Love" is the early version.

    4. The Velveletts - Searching for My Man.
    See posts 9 & 10, above

    5. Challengers III - Everyday.
    This track can be found on "The Complete Tri-Phi Records Singles, Volume 2 (Hallmark 716762) [2017]

    6. Playing the tape revealed the following additional tracks:

    Supremes - Coca Cola commercial (Baby Love}
    Kim Weston - Absent Minded Lover
    Marvin Gaye - Lonely Lover [without electronic overdubs]
    Satintones - Tomorrow and Always [solo with strings]
    Marvin Gaye - Teen Beat song
    Willie Horton - Detroit Is Happening

  18. #18
    What is interesting is that I always thought these tapes contained all the tracks from the unreleased Four Tops "Breaking Through" album, as John Manship was widely known to have an acetate of this... Seems this was not in fact the case, maybe just put onto the tapes a few of the tracks...

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by simon.millar View Post
    What is interesting is that I always thought these tapes contained all the tracks from the unreleased Four Tops "Breaking Through" album, as John Manship was widely known to have an acetate of this... Seems this was not in fact the case, maybe just put onto the tapes a few of the tracks...
    It's also interesting to note that "The Night We Called It A Day", which is on Tape UM3, wasn't thought to be of good enough quality to include in the Lost and Found issue of "Breaking Through". However, it has gained official release since.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    TWO

    The Unissued Motown Tapes - UM 1

    1. Supremes - Love Is Like An Itching...
    2. Velvelettes - Why Must You Go
    3. " - Love Is Good
    4. Supremes - Oowee Baby
    5. Marvelettes - Knock On My Door
    6. Marvin Gaye - A Chance With You
    7. Gladys Knight - Too Late For You And Me
    8. Marvin Gaye - So Long
    9. Supremes - Surfer Boy
    10. Velvelettes - Save Me (My Ship of Love...)
    11. Gladys Knight - Just Like You Never Loved Me
    12. Lollipops - Look What You Done Boy
    13. Gladys Knight - When Somebody Loves You
    14. Marvelettes - I Can't Help It
    15. Velvelettes - My Foolish Heart
    16. Marvin Gaye - Baby Baby Come Home
    17. Gladys Knight - Just Walk In My Shoes
    18. Marvelettes - One Kiss Led to Another
    19. Mary & Smokey - I Want You 'Round
    20. Kim Weston - Drop In the Bucket
    21. Supremes - Mr Blues
    22. Miracles - In Case You Need Love
    23. " - You Can't Let the Boy...
    24. Mary Wells - Drop In the Bucket
    Notes.

    Rather boringly, everything that appears on this tape is what it says on the package.

    I haven't listened closely enough to the tape to be categorically able to identify which tracks are alternative versions, which is particularly relevant to tracks 1, 10, 13 and 17. Track 23 is a version without strings.

    Subject to whether the tracks are alternative versions or not, all the songs included in the tape have now gained official release in some format. Please refer to the "Don't Forget the Motorcity" site for detailed info.

  21. #21
    Many thanks for trawling through the tapes and giving such great feedback!

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by simon.millar View Post
    Many thanks for trawling through the tapes and giving such great feedback!
    I'm enjoying doing it as I'd forgotten some of the tracks. I was surprised to find my old Walkman was still working, which is just as well as my radio/cassette player developed a habit of devouring tapes.

    I have listened to the next tape and hope to post some comments on it tomorrow.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    THREE

    The Unissued Motown Tapes - UM 2

    1. Supremes - You Keep me Hanging On
    2. Marvelettes - Why Must You Go
    3. Marvin Gaye - Lonely Lover
    4. Velvelettes - Honey Love
    5. Supremes - It's All Your Fault
    6. Velvelettes - Mama Please
    7. Marvin Gaye - Party Time
    8. Brenda Holloway - I Don't Want Nobody's...
    9. Marvin Gaye - You're A Son of A Gun
    10. 4 Tops - Sweeter As the Days Go By
    11. Brenda Holloway - You Need Me
    12. Kim Weston - Build Up My Baby
    13. Originals - Baby Have Mercy On Me
    14. Marvin Gaye - You're Wonderful
    15. 4 Tops - What You Gonna Do With Me Baby
    16. Supremes - Manhattan
    17. Marvin Gaye - One More Heartache
    18. Velvelettes - Twilight Time
    19. Velvelettes - Come On Home
    20. Marvelettes - You Just Can't Run Down
    21. Miracles - The Best Is Yet to Come
    22. Various - Ode to the Supremes
    Notes

    1. As always, please refer to the "Don't Forget The Motor City" website for the best info on the official release of the contents of this tape. Subject to whether tracks are alternative versions or not, all tracks have now gained official release in some format with the exception of Track 22.

    2. The list of contents of this tape was often taken from what was written on the label of the acetate. In some cases this was the working title, not the finished one.

    3. Supremes - You Keep Me Hanging On
    The Italian version.

    4. Marvin Gaye - Lonely Lover
    Without electronic overdubs.

    5. Velvelettes - Honey Love
    More accurately "(We've Got) Honey Love".
    There are versions of this both by Cal Gill and by Sandra Tilley. To complicate things, the sleeve notes on "Motown Sings Motown Treasures" refers to Cal when it's clearly Sandra on lead. Unless my ears are deceiving me, the version on this tape has Cal on lead.

    6. Velvelettes - Mama Please
    The first general release of this song was by the Adorables on Golden World under the title "Daddy Please". The entry in DFTMC is therefore shown as "Daddy (Mama) Please". The reason for the change of parent is unknown.

    7. Marvin Gaye - Party Time
    Official title is "It's Party Time".

    8. Marvin Gaye - You're A Son of A Gun
    Official title is "You'se A Son of A Gun" although Marvin sings "You're the..."

    9. Kim Weston - Build Up My Baby
    Official title is "Build Him Up". Some people will know this as "The Biggest Flirt In Town".

    10. Originals - Baby Have Mercy On Me
    Working Title for "Suspicion".

    11. Marvin Gaye - You're Wonderful
    Not to be confused with the similarly titled "Darling You're Wonderful".
    Some people will know this track as "Nobody But Me" or "You're Gonna Love Nobody But Me".

    12. Velvelettes - Twilight Time
    Title changed to "I'm So Glad It's Twilight Time".

    13. Velvelettes - Come On Home
    Working title for "Let Love Live (A Little Bit Longer)".

    14. Marvelettes - You Just Can't Run [Him] Down
    Working title for "I Just Can't Let Him Down".

    15. Various - Ode to the Supremes
    An unidentified male singer details the Supremes' career and places they performed while strumming a guitar backed by a girl group chanting Supremes' song titles. Unreleased for a good reason. A truly awful track.
    Last edited by 144man; 02-02-2018 at 06:07 PM.

  24. #24
    Additions to Notes to UM 2 [Post 23]

    5. Velvelettes - Honey Love
    Similarly, alternative versions led by Cal Gill and Sandra Tilley were cut on the unreleased track, "I'm In Love (And I Know It)".

    8. Marvin Gaye - You're A Son of A Gun
    According To "Yesterday Today and Forever" magazine, this song was originally intended as a duet for Marvin & Tammi.

    15. Various - Ode to the Supremes
    The date 10-5-67-QP-1 and the title are printed on the acetate's label. There is no mention whatsoever of the name of the artist.

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    FOUR

    The Unissued Motown Tapes - UM 3

    1. David Ruffin - Hills of West Virginia
    2. Paul Williams - Feel Like Givin' Up
    3. Thelma Houston - I Want to Go Back There Again
    4. " - Oh ! Dear Mama
    5. Smokey Robinson - Wings and Halo
    6. " - Fly By Night
    7. " - A Tattoo
    8. Liz Lands - May What He Lived For Live
    9. Miracles - Do Da Do Da Day
    10. Gladys Knight - Joe's Place (2)
    11. Eddie Holland - Pretty Little Angel Face
    12. Chad Harris Trio - The Wind & Rain In Your Hair
    13. " - Yes Lawd
    14. " - Our Day Will Come
    15. 4 Tops - Stranger On the Shore
    16. " - I Could Have Danced All Night
    17. " - The Night We Called It A Day
    18. " - San Fancisco
    19. " - Fascinating Rhythm
    20. Gladys Knight - Joe's Place (1)
    21. " - Joe's Place (3)
    Notes

    1. The Smokey Robinson tracks are outside the timeframe of "Don't Forget the Motor City". The other tracks are included therein.

    2. David Ruffin - Hills of West Virginia
    Despite the reference to the hills of West Virginia in David's "The Roving Kind", this is a completely different song. Produced by Eddie Kendricks and written by Eddie with Ronald Matlock, this track remains unreleased, probably owing to the lack of a master tape being found.

    3. Paul Williams - Feel Like Giving Up
    On the same acetate as Eddie Kendricks, it shares the same producer and composers.

    4. Thelma Houston - I Want to Go Back There Again
    Acetate has "(original version)" written on the label.

    5. Thelma Houston - Oh! Dear Mama
    Can be found in DFTMC under the title "Ooh Dear Mama". Has not been officially released.

    6. Smokey Robinson - Wings And Halo / Fly by Night
    Probably 1973 or 1974. Not officially released.

    7. Smokey Robinson - A Tattoo
    In 1974 album "Pure Smokey", Tamla 331.

    8. Liz Lands - May What He Lived For Live
    Refer DFTMC.

    9. Miracles - Do-Da Do-Da Day
    Great HDH backing track from 1963. No vocals cut. Unreleased.

    10. Gladys Knight - Joe's Place [3 edits]
    In DFTMC as "Coca Cola Commercial (Joe's Place)". Scheduled for cancelled "Lost & Found" CD.

    11. Eddie Holland - Pretty Little Angel Face
    Refer DFTMC

    12. Chad Harris Trio - The Wind And Rain In Your Hair/ Yes Lawd/ Our Day Will Come
    Three instrumental tracks probably intended for the Workshop Jazz label. Not released.

    13. 4 Tops - Stranger On the Shore/ I Could Have Danced All Night / [I Left My Heart In] San Francisco/ Fascinating Rhythm
    In CD "Lost & Found- Breaking Through".

    14. 4 Tops - The Night We Called It A Day
    In Kent CD "Satisfaction Is Guaranteed - Motown Guys 1961 -69".

    15. There are images of some of the acetate labels in Reg Bartlette's book, "Off the Record - Motown By Master Number, 1959-1989" and in various issues of the MICC magazine, "Yesterday Today and Forever".
    Last edited by 144man; 02-09-2018 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Note 15 added.

  26. #26
    David's "Hills Of West Virginia" was written and produced by Eddie!? How fascinating.

    So Eddie produced "Feel Like Givin' Up" on Paul (and on his own group Posse) and then "Hills" on David. Interesting.

    Thanks martin

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    FIVE

    The Unissued Motown Tapes - UM 4

    Side One
    1. Versatones - It's Company Time x 2
    2. Magnetics - Father Time
    3. Supremes - Come On Boy x 2
    4. Marvin Gaye - You're Wonderful
    5. Stevie Wonder - Workout Stevie Workout
    6. Contours - I Can't Stop Dancing x2
    7. 4 Tops - Make Someone Happy
    8. Marvin Gaye - Pretty Little Baby x 2
    9. " - Purple Snowflakes
    10. Marvelettes - You Better Cool it

    Side Two
    11. 4 Tops - This Can't Be Love
    12. " - Young and Foolish
    13. Frank Morelli - Defunk Brothers
    14. Supremes - You Didn't Care
    15. Rev. Chas Glover - You've Gotta Come Back...
    16. Edward Earling - Baby Don't Leave
    17. " - My Love For You
    18. " - This Time I'm Gonnna Leave You
    19. Lefty Edwards - Just Friends
    20. " - Feeling
    21. " - Down Under
    22. Marvelettes - Grass Seems Greener on the...
    23. Contours - Minnie the Ugly Duckling
    24. Miracles - You've Got to Pay Bills
    25. " - Don't Think It's Me
    26. Gladys Knight - Happy Memories x 2
    Notes

    1. "Don't Forget The Motor City" has been updated to a 2018 edition, and the site is as brilliant as ever for finding details for official LP, CD and download only releases.

    Side One
    2. Versatones - It's Company Time
    Two vocal edits. See DFTMC for release details.

    3. Magnetics - Father Time
    A weak and unsoulful girl group singing in unison. Unreleased.

    4. Come On Boy - The Supremes
    3 versions not 2. The first version has no backing vocals. The other two versions are different takes.

    5. Marvin Gaye - You're Wonderful
    Refer Post 23, Note 11.

    6. Stevie Wonder - Workout Stevie Workout
    Version is the first overdub.

    7. Contours - I Can't Stop Dancing x 2
    The second track is the band track with vocal overdubs but without a lead vocal.

    8. Four Tops - Make Someone Happy
    Band track without lead vocal.

    9. Marvin Gaye - Pretty Little Baby x 2
    Second track is band track with vocal overdubs but no lead singer.

    10. Marvin Gaye - Purple Snowflakes
    Although unlisted in the contents, the band track to this with vocal overdubs but no lead singer has also been included on the tape.

    11. Marvelettes - You Better Cool It
    This is the demo which starts with Robert Gordy singing "Somebody Bought It" over a mainly instrumental track. No sign of any Marvelette on this track.

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    FIVE

    The Unissued Motown Tapes - UM 4

    Side One

    1. Versatones - It's Company Time x 2
    2. Magnetics - Father Time
    3. Supremes - Come On Boy x 2
    4. Marvin Gaye - You're Wonderful
    5. Stevie Wonder - Workout Stevie Workout
    6. Contours - I Can't Stop Dancing x2
    7. 4 Tops - Make Someone Happy
    8. Marvin Gaye - Pretty Little Baby x 2
    9. " - Purple Snowflakes
    10. Marvelettes - You Better Cool it

    Side Two

    11. 4 Tops - This Can't Be Love
    12. " - Young and Foolish
    13. Frank Morelli - Defunk Brothers
    14. Supremes - You Didn't Care
    15. Rev. Chas Glover - You've Gotta Come Back...
    16. Edward Earling - Baby Don't Leave
    17. " - My Love For You
    18. " - This Time I'm Gonnna Leave You
    19. Lefty Edwards - Just Friends
    20. " - Feeling
    21. " - Down Under
    22. Marvelettes - Grass Seems Greener on the...
    23. Contours - Minnie the Ugly Duckling
    24. Miracles - You've Got to Pay Bills
    25. " - Don't Think It's Me
    26. Gladys Knight - Happy Memories x 2
    Notes (Continued)

    Side Two

    12. 4 Tops - This Can't Be Love/ Young And Foolish
    In CD "Lost & Found - Breaking Through".

    13. Frank Morelli - Defunk Brothers
    Unreleased instrumental, probably for Workshop Jazz.

    14. Supremes - You Didn't Care
    Sounds like the normal mono album version.

    15. Rev. Chas Glover - You've Gotta Come Back This Way
    An excellent gospel track. Unreleased.

    16. Edward Earling - Baby Don't Leave/ My Love For You/ This Time I'm Gonna Leave You
    The first two tracks are soul ballads, the third track is mid-tempo. All three tracks have a completed male vocal lead, are rather good, and remain unreleased.

    17. Lefty Edwards - Just Friends/ Feeling/ Down N' Adam
    The first two tracks appear on the Jazz Workshop album "The Right Side of Lefty Edwards"; the third track appears to be unreleased although the album contains a track called "Up 'N' Adam".

    18. Marvelettes - Grass Seems Greener (On the Other Side)
    Bettie Winston's demo for the Marvelettes.

    19. Contours - Minnie the Ugly Ducking
    See DFTMC for release details.

    20. Miracles - You've Got to Pay Bills
    Probably version 2.

    21. Miracles - Don't Think It's Me
    Also probably version 2.

    22. Gladys Knight - Happy Memories x 2
    In DFTMC as Coca Cola Commercial (Happy Memories). Two edits. Scheduled for cancelled "Lost & Found" CD.

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    SIX

    ...taped directly from the original acetates...

    Side One

    1. Tommy Good - Gotta Get Away
    2. Tammi Terrell - Oh What A Good Man He Is
    3. Patrice Holloway - For the Love of Mike
    4. Ivy Jo - Where Are You
    5. Sandra Edwards - True Fine Boy (Inst.)
    6. Martha & Vandellas - Take It Off
    7. Chris Clark - Sweeter As the Days Go By
    8. Jimmy Ruffin - Stop Leading Me On
    9. Vandellas - Nobody Cares
    10. "- Don't Take Advantage of Me
    11. Jimmy Ruffin - Everybody Needs Love (diff take)
    12. Supremes - Take Me Where You Go
    13. Brenda Holloway - Keep Me
    14. " - Tell Me Your Story
    15. Marvin Gaye - Talk About A Good Feeling
    16. ? - Together We Can Make It
    17. Bob Kayli - Love In A Movie
    18. Marvelettes - I've Been Loving You (inst.)
    19. Vandellas - Take Me In Your Arms Rock Me (inst.)
    20. Shorty Long - Lonely Boy (inst.)

    Side Two

    21. Freeman Brothers - My Baby (slow version)
    22. Stevie Wonder - Pretty Little Angel
    23. Hit Pack - Never Say No to Your Baby (inst.)
    24. Marvin Gaye - I'll Be Doggone (inst.)
    25. Four Tops - Just A Little Love
    26. Supremes - I'm So Glad
    27. " - "(inst.)
    28. Clarence Paul - You Stay On My Mind
    29. Eddie Holland - I Like Everything About You
    30. Dean Taylor - Give Me Something
    31. Tommy Good - No One to Love
    32. Supremes - Take Me Where You Go
    33. ? - Take Me
    34. Dalton Boys - Take My Hand
    35. Supremes - Someday We'll Be Together (alt.)
    36. " - People
    37. Four Tops - Sweeter As the Days Go By
    Notes

    1. Where there are no notes given, please refer directly to "Don't Forget the Motor City".

    2. Most tracks were cut short before the end to prevent their being copied.

    Side One

    3. Tommy Good - Gotta Get Away
    In DFTMC as "I Gotta Get Away".

    4. Tammi Terrell - Oh What A Good Man He Is
    In DFTMC as "What A Good Man He Is".

    5. Sandra [sic] Edwards - True Fine Boy (inst.)
    Band track without any vocals. Stands up as an instrumental in its own right. No vocal version found yet.

    6. Jimmy Ruffin - Stop Leading Me On
    In DFTMC as "I Know How to Love Her".

    7. Vandellas - Nobody Cares
    Band track to "Nobody'll Care" with backing vocals overdubbed but no lead.

    8. Vandellas - Don't Take Advantage of Me
    Band track with backing vocals overdubbed but no lead.

    9. Jimmy Ruffin - Everybody Needs Love
    Band track with backing vocals overdubbed but no lead.

    10. ? - Together We Can Make It
    Plays as "Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music" with lead vocal. As DFTMC shows no acetate for the Spinners' recording and the backing singers don't sound like them, this is probably a G.C. Cameron solo recording.

    11. Bob Kayli - Love In A Movie
    In DFTMC as "(There's Always Room For) Love In A Movie". Some earlier tapes had incorrectly attributed this to the Contours, but there is no Contours' version known.

    12. Marvelettes - I've Been Loving You (inst.)
    Sounds like the same band track used in Frances Nero's "Keep On Loving Me".

    13. Vandellas - Take Me In Your Arms (Rock Me A Little While) (inst.)
    Sounds like band track used in Eddie Holland's version.

    14. Shorty Long - Lonely Boy (inst.)
    Sounds like band track used in Brenda Holloway's version.

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    SIX

    ...taped directly from the original acetates...

    Side One


    1. Tommy Good - Gotta Get Away
    2. Tammi Terrell - Oh What A Good Man He Is
    3. Patrice Holloway - For the Love of Mike
    4. Ivy Jo - Where Are You
    5. Sandra Edwards - True Fine Boy (Inst.)
    6. Martha & Vandellas - Take It Off
    7. Chris Clark - Sweeter As the Days Go By
    8. Jimmy Ruffin - Stop Leading Me On
    9. Vandellas - Nobody Cares
    10. "- Don't Take Advantage of Me
    11. Jimmy Ruffin - Everybody Needs Love (diff take)
    12. Supremes - Take Me Where You Go
    13. Brenda Holloway - Keep Me
    14. " - Tell Me Your Story
    15. Marvin Gaye - Talk About A Good Feeling
    16. ? - Together We Can Make It
    17. Bob Kayli - Love In A Movie
    18. Marvelettes - I've Been Loving You (inst.)
    19. Vandellas - Take Me In Your Arms Rock Me (inst.)
    20. Shorty Long - Lonely Boy (inst.)

    Side Two

    21. Freeman Brothers - My Baby (slow version)
    22. Stevie Wonder - Pretty Little Angel
    23. Hit Pack - Never Say No to Your Baby (inst.)
    24. Marvin Gaye - I'll Be Doggone (inst.)
    25. Four Tops - Just A Little Love
    26. Supremes - I'm So Glad
    27. " - "(inst.)
    28. Clarence Paul - You Stay On My Mind
    29. Eddie Holland - I Like Everything About You
    30. Dean Taylor - Give Me Something
    31. Tommy Good - No One to Love
    32. Supremes - Take Me Where You Go
    33. ? - Take Me
    34. Dalton Boys - Take My Hand
    35. Supremes - Someday We'll Be Together (alt.)
    36. " - People
    37. Four Tops - Sweeter As the Days Go By
    Notes (Continued)

    Side Two

    15. Freeman Brothers - My Baby (slow version)
    DFTMC only includes the fast version, so this slow version remains unreleased.

    16. Hit Pack - Never Say No to Your Baby ((inst.)
    Band track with backing singers overdubbed but no lead.

    17. Marvin Gaye - I'll Be Doggone (inst.)
    Band track with backing singers overdubbed but no lead.

    18. Supremes - I'm So Glad (inst.)
    This is the band track without any backing or lead vocals.

    19. R. Dean Taylor - Give Me Something
    No way to tell whether version 1 or 2. Not released.

    20. Tommy Good - No One To Love
    Band track without lead or backing singers overdubbed.

    21. ? - Take Me
    This track is listed in DFTMC as "In A Quiet Place" by an "unidentified f singer". The song is a slow, MOR ballad, which would have been suitable for Barbara McNair. Not released.
    Last edited by 144man; 03-09-2018 at 08:36 AM.

  31. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by simon.millar View Post
    BTW. I was wrong with my recollection of The Temptations private pressing; it was in fact various artists inc. "Angel Doll" by "The Temptations" entitled "Motown / Hitsville Masters Vol1" by Triangle Connoisseur Sounds", image below:
    I do not have this collection to check, but I believe that "Say Say Baby" was incorrectly credited to the Creations and that this is the version released on the Kent CD "Satisfaction is Guaranteed" by the Serenaders.

  32. #32
    Motortown Uncovered, Volumes 1 & 2

    Some of the acetates mentioned here were included on the 1992 CDs Motortown Uncovered, Volumes 1 & 2 (Ville 101 & 102). SDF member Grapevine came across these bootlegs at Northern Soul Clubs in the 90s. In a limited edition of 2000 each, they were stated as having been sourced from master tapes, acetates and original 45s. Images can be found in the SDF archives.

    Motortown Uncovered, Volume 1

    1. Keep On Loving Me - Frances Nero
    2. Sweet Thing - Marvin Gaye
    3. Teen Beat Song - Marvin Gaye
    4. Fare Thee Well - Gladys Knight & the Pips
    "When Somebody Loves You (You're Never Alone)"
    5. I'm On the Outside Looking In - Eddie Holland
    6. How Can I - The Spinners
    7. Sweeter As the Days Go By - Frank Wilson
    8. Scotts On Swingers - Edwin Starr
    9. I Care About Detroit - Smokey Robinson & the Miracles
    10. Do I Love You - Chris Clark
    11. Sugar's Never Been As Sweet As You - Unreleased Rehearsal
    The Marvelettes
    12. The Lonely Heart And Lonely Eyes of Lonely Me - Gladys Knight & the Pips
    13. Spellbound - Martha & the Vandellas
    14. I'm Still Loving You - Kim Weston
    15. Too Late For You And Me - Gladys Knight & the Pips
    "It's Too Late"
    16. Just Can't let Him - The Marvelettes
    "I Just Can't Let Him Down"
    17. Your [sic] Gonna Love My Baby - Barbara McNair
    18. You Can Come Right Back to Me - David Ruffin
    19. What More Can A Boy Ask For - Detroit Spinners
    20. Lonely Lover - Marvin Gaye

    Although the CD indicates it was published in California, the fact that track 19 refers to the Spinners as the "Detroit Spinners" may be a better indication of the country of origin.
    Last edited by 144man; 03-21-2018 at 08:07 PM.

  33. #33
    Motortown Uncovered, Volume 2

    1. Do I Love You - Frank Wilson
    "Do I Love You (Indeed I Do)"
    2. After The Rain - Kim Weston
    3. Baby Have Mercy On Me - The Originals
    "Suspicion"
    4. Look What You've Done to Me - The Lollipops
    "Look What You Done Boy"
    5. I've Gotta Find Myself A Brand New Baby - Mike & The Modifiers
    6. Angel Doll - The Temptations
    7. Cry - The Monitors
    8. Say Say Say - The Creations
    "Say Say Baby" - The Serenaders
    9. Breaking My Poor Heart In Two (Reconsider) - Brenda Holloway
    "Think It Over (Before You Break My Heart)"
    10. Boy From Crosstown - The Marvelettes
    11. 5-10-15-20-25-30 (Years of Love) - Marvin Gaye
    12. The [sic] Day That She Needed Me - The Contours
    13. Come On Back To Me Baby - The Temptations
    "Forever In My Heart"
    14. Keep Steppin' - Martha & Vandellas
    "Keep Stepping (Never Look Back)"
    15. Come On Home - The Velvelettes
    "Let Love Live (A Little Bit Longer)"
    16. Absent Minded Lover - Kim Weston
    17. It's Killing Me - Marvin Gaye
    "This Love Starved Heart of Mine (It's Killing Me)"
    18. Baby Hit & Run - The Contours
    19. Any Girl in Town - Kim Weston
    "Any Girl In Love"
    20. Love Is Good - The Velvelettes

    Images for Motortown Uncovered Volumes 1 & 2 can be seen on the following link in the entry for June 13, 2006.

    http://faac.us/adf/messages/131452/1...tml?1155717154

    The CDs in the above link on the Marginal label are also of interest.
    Last edited by 144man; 03-25-2018 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Link added

  34. #34
    10 More Acetates Not Released By Motown

    With the issue of Martha & the Vandellas' "I'm Willing to Pay the Price" on the Kent Various Artists' CD "Baby I've Got It", one of the last remaining tracks from the earliest batch of collectors' tapes has at last been released. Here are ten other recordings which weren't on the above John Manship cassettes but deserving of a mention.

    In no particular order.....

    1. Hattie Littles - Wish That You Were Here
    An organ-led mid-tempo chugger written and produced by Marv Johnson. Typical of 1963 Motown and deserving of release.

    2. Mickey McCullers - Better Late Than Never
    Bobby Breen's version of this utilised a mannered vocal style unsympathetic to the song. Mickey McCullers may not have been the greatest vocalist in the world but he sounds much more comfortable on this.

    3. Sammy Turner - All I have Left Are Memories
    This 1964 Stevenson-Hunter song was originally attributed to the Fascinators, but Sammy Turner's voice is unmistakeable. A nice doo-wop song with predominant strings.

    4. The Serenaders - Tears, Nobody And A Smile
    This pleasant, mid-tempo shuffler, probably recorded in New York, is not in the Motown vaults or session logs. The track eventually emerged in 2013 on the CD compilation "The Serenaders featuring George Kerr" (Jersey JER1001).

    5. The Versatones - I Could Make A Million
    A rather average mid-tempo 1963 number, written and produced by Robert Gordy, from the group who brought us "It's Company Time".

    6. The Versatones - Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde
    The lead singer relates how his baby has turned him into a split personality. Could this be the guy Mary Wells had been singing about in "Two Lovers"?

    7. Brenda Holloway - I'm On the Outside
    It's Brenda alone with only a piano for backing on this slow and pretty song which is obviously just a demo version. No other recording of this song is known.

    8. Brenda Holloway - Here Are the Pieces of My Broken Heart
    Just Brenda and the piano again on what must have been the demo for the Gladys Knight & the Pips' version.

    9. Johnny Powers - I Just Got To Know Now
    There's an obvious attempt to sound like Elvis here on this self-penned teen pop-ballad from 1963 by future rockabilly singer, Johnny Powers. Motown did not retain the rights to this, but it gained release in the UK in 1990 on the LP "Can't Resist That Rock and Roll" (RollerCoaster ROLL 2017) which also contains other tracks recorded at Hitsville, "Rosa Lee", "Well I Got Troubles", "It's Now Or Never Little One", and an earlier version of The Supremes' "You Didn't Care". He later teamed up with Mike Valvano in 1964 to release Beatles-inspired "Give Me A Kiss" on V.I.P. as the Hornets.

    10. The Show Stoppers - Old Time Lovin'
    Previously thought to be the Contours, "Don't Forget The Motor City" credits this up-tempo Holland-Dozier produced bouncer to a group called "The Show Stoppers". I should imagine 1963 is too early for this to be the Philly group who gave us "Ain't Nothing But A House Party".

    ... and one for luck...

    Brenda Holloway - Tell Me Your Story (alternate version)
    Not the same version that is on the John Manship tapes or on "Tamla Motown Connoisseurs". This version has a different set of lyrics, and an unknown male vocalist joins in near the fadeout revealing that he is going to tell his story.
    Last edited by 144man; 04-06-2018 at 07:13 PM.

  35. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    10 More Acetates Not Released By Motown

    With the issue of Martha & the Vandellas' "I'm Willing to Pay the Price" on the Kent Various Artists' CD "Baby I've Got It", one of the last remaining tracks from the earliest batch of collectors' tapes has at last been released. Here are ten other recordings which weren't on the above John Manship cassettes but deserving of a mention.

    In no particular order.....

    1. Hattie Littles - Wish That You Were Here
    An organ-led mid-tempo chugger written and produced by Marv Johnson. Typical of 1963 Motown and deserving of release.

    2. Mickey McCullers - Better Late Than Never
    Bobby Breen's version of this utilised a mannered vocal style unsympathetic to the song. Mickey McCullers may not have been the greatest vocalist in the world but he sounds much more comfortable on this.

    3. Sammy Turner - All I have Left Are Memories
    This 1964 Stevenson-Hunter song was originally attributed to the Fascinators, but Sammy Turner's voice is unmistakeable. A nice doo-wop song with predominant strings.

    4. The Serenaders - Tears, Nobody And A Smile
    This pleasant, mid-tempo shuffler, probably recorded in New York, is not in the Motown vaults or session logs. The track eventually emerged in 2013 on the CD compilation "The Serenaders featuring George Kerr" (Jersey JER1001).

    5. The Versatones - I Could Make A Million
    A rather average mid-tempo 1963 number, written and produced by Robert Gordy, from the group who brought us "It's Company Time".

    6. The Versatones - Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde
    The lead singer relates how his baby has turned him into a split personality. Could this be the guy Mary Wells had been singing about in "Two Lovers"?

    7. Brenda Holloway - I'm On the Outside
    It's Brenda alone with only a piano for backing on this slow and pretty song which is obviously just a demo version. No other recording of this song is known.

    8. Brenda Holloway - Here Are the Pieces of My Broken Heart
    Just Brenda and the piano again on what must have been the demo for the Gladys Knight & the Pips' version.

    9. Johnny Powers - I Just Got To Know Now
    There's an obvious attempt to sound like Elvis here on this self-penned teen pop-ballad from 1963 by future rockabilly singer, Johnny Powers. Motown did not retain the rights to this, but it gained release in the UK in 1990 on the LP "Can't Resist That Rock and Roll" (RollerCoaster ROLL 2017) which also contains other tracks recorded at Hitsville, "Rosa Lee", "Well I Got Troubles", "It's Now Or Never Little One", and an earlier version of The Supremes' "You Didn't Care". He later teamed up with Mike Valvano in 1964 to release Beatles-inspired "Give Me A Kiss" on V.I.P. as the Hornets.

    10. The Show Stoppers - Old Time Lovin'
    Previously thought to be the Contours, "Don't Forget The Motor City" credits this up-tempo Holland-Dozier produced bouncer to a group called "The Show Stoppers". I should imagine 1963 is too early for this to be the Philly group who gave us "Ain't Nothing But A House Party".

    ... and one for luck...

    Brenda Holloway - Tell Me Your Story (alternate version)
    Not the same version that is on the John Manship tapes or on "Tamla Motown Connoisseurs". This version has a different set of lyrics, and an unknown male vocalist joins in near the fadeout revealing that he is going to tell his story.
    Hmmm yes they're all coming back to me,i have these tapes somewhere ,and i seem to remember the Stevie Wonder I don't want anybody make me cry ,same as BH song,but it has n't appeared on any cd compilations,it was a good song what i can remember,cheers

  36. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    Hmmm yes they're all coming back to me,i have these tapes somewhere ,and i seem to remember the Stevie Wonder I don't want anybody make me cry ,same as BH song,but it has n't appeared on any cd compilations,it was a good song what i can remember,cheers
    That's one I've never heard. Is it a duet with Clarence Paul?

  37. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    That's one I've never heard. Is it a duet with Clarence Paul?
    yes,you got it in one,cheers.

  38. #38
    When John got the big haul of Motown acetates I called him and said they all needed recording and documenting. I drove over to his place to collect them all and then taped them. He then sold cassettes of the tunes. I also photocopied all of the acetates.
    The tapes I did are those listed in posts 7,8,11 and 12. I still have the 'master' copies of the cassettes and the photocopies

    The tracks listed in post 15 were all from Pete Lowrie acetates

    If anybody needs scans of the acetates contact me ... AndyRix@aol.com

    Sadly John had already let the acetate of Marvelettes - 'Boy From Crosstown' go but I got everything else

    Andy

  39. #39
    How did these acetates become available? I did hear once that when the Detroit office was closed people were just wondering in from the street and helping themselves to them without anyone stopping them, but have no idea whether this is true or not.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.