[REMOVE ADS]

James Jamerson....Carole Kaye

For the old timers on here...

Listen to what Hal Blaine says about Carol.

Go to about 13:00...the only thing that p*ss*s me off about the movie is.....

Hal talks about the James Jamerson matter a little later [[about 20:00)!

I'm sorry I didn't post the link. Silly me! Thank you Lockhartgary

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    For the old timers on here...

Listen to what Hal Blaine says about Carol.

Go to about 13:00...the only thing that p*ss*s me off about the movie is.....

Hal talks about the James Jamerson matter a little later [[about 20:00)!
    Wow! Just listened to the Hal Blaine interview and yes there's a feud brewing between Carol Kaye and Blaine [[and her comments about her playing bass on all the Motown Hits instead of Jamerson is completely out of line). Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Wow! Just listened to the Hal Blaine interview and yes there's a feud brewing between Carol Kaye and Blaine [[and her comments about her playing bass on all the Motown Hits instead of Jamerson is completely out of line). Thanks for sharing.
    She didn't play on all the Motown hits. There was this big argument a few years back about who played on "I Was Made to Love Her". Stevie himself squashed the whole thing by flat out saying it was James Jamerson and no one else.

Yep, it's one of those "here we go again" issues. Wasn't part of the dispute/confusion because while Carol Kaye did not play on the Detroit recorded Motown hits, she might indeed have played on many of the covers of those hits that were done in the Motown LA studio? She was/is a sought out talented bassist.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    Yep, it's one of those "here we go again" issues. Wasn't part of the dispute/confusion because while Carol Kaye did not play on the Detroit recorded Motown hits, she might indeed have played on many of the covers of those hits that were done in the Motown LA studio? She was/is a sought out talented bassist.
    Hal Blaine seems to give the impression that she was not that prolific as she tells.

I was a bit surprised at what he said to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    She didn't play on all the Motown hits. There was this big argument a few years back about who played on "I Was Made to Love Her". Stevie himself squashed the whole thing by flat out saying it was James Jamerson and no one else.
    Probably a bit longer than a few years now Marv2!!! HAHA BTW, I didnt mean to be disrespectful by calling those who remember this saga as an "old timer" - it was just a little teasing. But you no doubt remember that some of the musicians, producers and all, were furious when she insisted she played the bass on Stevie's I Was Made To Love Her. I recall that Slutsky and co even got Hank Cosby to sign some paperwork stating that it was definitely JJ.
    Last edited by theboyfromxtown; 12-11-2017 at 07:15 PM.

several years ago this was discussed and I think I remember that she played on some demos' for Motown in LA.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    several years ago this was discussed and I think I remember that she played on some demos' for Motown in LA.
    Apparently so. I think as fans we really didn't know for sure but we were aware that a lot of musicians were not happy about it. She must have a thick skin because she was inundated with claims that she was not speaking the truth.

I am sure she contributed in her own way but to dismiss the claims of others was not right.

I remember this because they put me right in the middle of it. I think it was her son or someone else very close to her that was insisting that it was Carole on all those records. I told him no that it was not true over and over . That's when some people that were at Motown at the time had to get involved.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I remember this because they put me right in the middle of it. I think it was her son or someone else very close to her that was insisting that it was Carole on all those records. I told him no that it was not true over and over . That's when some people that were at Motown at the time had to get involved.
    Now you come to mention it, I do remember her "team" being supportive to the point that they went way over the top.

I like Hal's appraisal of her - sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Now you come to mention it, I do remember her "team" being supportive to the point that they went way over the top.
    Way over the top to the point of starting to piss some people off. LOL!

now now .
    no questioning this woman's version of how it went down.
    ten, twenty, thirty, fifty years ago --- doesn't matter!

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    now now .
    no questioning this woman's version of how it went down.
    ten, twenty, thirty, fifty years ago --- doesn't matter!
    Why should her claims of something that didn't happen be treated differently than many of these high profile accusers nowadays?

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    Why should her claims of something that didn't happen be treated differently than many of these high profile accusers nowadays?
    Exactly! It is taking credit away from someone else that deserves it.

It seems the drummers featured on the Motown recordings could often be identified by name, by studying their individual playing technique.

I guess it must be much more difficult, by listening to the recordings, to identify the bass playing technique of Carol Kaye [[generally using a pick/plectrum?), from that of James Jamerson?

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    It seems the drummers featured on the Motown recordings could often be identified by name, by studying their individual playing technique.

I guess it must be much more difficult, by listening to the recordings, to identify the bass playing technique of Carol Kaye [[generally using a pick/plectrum?), from that of James Jamerson?
    To me it's not that difficult at all to tell Jamerson apart from other bass players. There is not a single Detroit-recorded Motown song that is not Jamerson or Babbitt. There are a several west coast recordings that I can tell aren't Jamerson and are played with a pick which could be Kaye, but could also be someone like Wilton Felder, etc. Kaye is a fine musician who has spoiled her reputation by claiming work that isn't hers. I'm sure she played on some Motown tracks out west but not any that define "the Motown Sound."

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    To me it's not that difficult at all to tell Jamerson apart from other bass players. There is not a single Detroit-recorded Motown song that is not Jamerson or Babbitt. There are a several west coast recordings that I can tell aren't Jamerson and are played with a pick which could be Kaye, but could also be someone like Wilton Felder, etc. Kaye is a fine musician who has spoiled her reputation by claiming work that isn't hers. I'm sure she played on some Motown tracks out west but not any that define "the Motown Sound."
    She played on a lot of those albums where Motown artists recorded standards, etc out in LA.

I was at a Drum Festival about 30 years ago and a big name drummer was talking about how he recorded for Motown. Given the diverse range in ages, 33% of the drummers gathered probably did not know what Motown was, as in a Motown feel, or a Motown fill. So it was not as though anyone challenged the claim,[[Though I was thinking about doing it).I quickly forgot about what I felt was an outlandish claim. But a year or so ago, I did come across some recordings that listed the drummer, who did in fact record for Motown. My point being that because of the amount of material recorded, whoever was available was used on the session.

If you have not already read it, I suggest you find a copy of "Calling Out Around The World", By Kingsley Abbott, there is a story about Carol Kaye in which she not only takes credit for a lot of songs that she probably did not play on, but is very disparaging about The Funk Brothers. From where I sit, she wishes she could have wrote the Bass Line of "I Was Made To Love Her". I will say however, that I could see her doing Love Child.

I was, more than likely present at a good number of the sessions Ms. Kaye claims to have played on in Detroit. Bass was ALWAYS covered by Jamerson or Babbit. PERIOD! The main bass player in L.A. was Freddie Washington brought into Motown by my brother. The only time I ever saw Kaye was when I first moved to Monterey, California and she was teaching bass at a local music store.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    I was, more than likely present at a good number of the sessions Ms. Kaye claims to have played on in Detroit. Bass was ALWAYS covered by Jamerson or Babbit. PERIOD! The main bass player in L.A. was Freddie Washington brought into Motown by my brother. The only time I ever saw Kaye was when I first moved to Monterey, California and she was teaching bass at a local music store.
    Thank you Ralph!